Poll: Who would Varian pick?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I am pretty sure Varian could not just choose anyone to be the next high king unless the council agree with the choice.

7+ Year Old Account
    idk what kind of brain you have to have to think he'd pick anyone other than anduin...
    You called me stupid? No stupid is you. What kind of brain you need to put your own child in charge during such dire times knowing what he (child) lack of many things you need to be High King. Plus being High King makes you top priority for enemies.

I am pretty sure Varian could not just choose anyone to be the next high king unless the council agree with the choice.
    Please read OP. Wrynn could pick next High King after his death and rest of the Alliance would agree - this thread about who would he will pick.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post
    You called me stupid? No stupid is you. What kind of brain you need to put your own child in charge during such dire times knowing what he (child) lack of many things you need to be High King. Plus being High King makes you top priority for enemies.
    Its a monarchy, in theory he was the High Prince ( That sounds awesome, SOMEONE CALL BLIZZARD)
    he would pick anduin without a doubt, and you are stupid i mean, just look at your language I (as a non native english speaker) see way to many wrong verbs and sentinces.

I'm thinking Muradin (popular war hero, wise and experienced). Anduin's day will come, but he's got a lot on his plate just being King of Stormwind for now. We know he's destined to lead both factions, but let's give him time to keep growing.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

7+ Year Old Account
    Its a monarchy, in theory he was the High Prince
    Blizzard said High King is military title. You are wrong.

and you are stupid i mean, just look at your language I (as a non native english speaker) see way to many wrong verbs and sentinces
    Teach me how to engrish pleasao muster.

10+ Year Old Account
    He would pick Arthas Menethil, the hero of Azeroth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Aedion View Post
    Its a monarchy, in theory he was the High Prince ( That sounds awesome, SOMEONE CALL BLIZZARD)
    he would pick anduin without a doubt, and you are stupid i mean, just look at your language I (as a non native english speaker) see way to many wrong verbs and sentinces.
    Anduin is prince of Stormwind, that is the kingdom he inherits. The Alliance is just an alliance, not a kingdom. The member nations are sovereign.

Well, if you hit prestige 1 and do your artifact pvp quest thing in SW, the answer is kind of given.

Not saying who it is though, but...uhhh.....it's not surprising.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, he did pick. Infact, his name is given during the legion cinematic opening, it was given in the anduin comic, and it was given at the broken shore end cinematic.

The Alliance is an alliance, not a monarchy. Anduin shouldn't be anywhere near high king.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    He would pick Arthas Menethil, the hero of Azeroth.
    you mean he would resurrect Arthas
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrashi View Post
    I just love the idea of "I want to murder people in moderation".
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    the only "positive" in your case is that, unlike Blizzard's writers, you aren't paid for that.

Comes down to Anduin, Muradin, or Genn.

Anduin comes in close due to parental favoritism, plus after seeing how Anduin matured during the Pandaren war and that he was serious about his long term commitment to peace, Varian would definitely consider him. Realistically though, Anduin is not experienced in the politics of warfare, nor actual warfare (probably a good thing he left the war effort to Genn).

Muradin so far (until Legion) has served with distinction as the Alliance's Supreme Commander and strategic adviser. He has been a chief member of the Alliance since it's formation and is among the most experienced members of said collation. He is a shining embodiment of Alliance values. Unfortunately, he would not be as prone to seeking peace as Anduin (though he would be far more reasonable about it than Genn).

Genn Greymane on the other hand, refused to join the Alliance when called, effectively saying "screw cooperation!" and tried to keep afloat by himself, only running to the Alliance when he needed them. Ofcourse, his attitude has changed since then, but you have to ask; who would Varian favor as his successor: the humble dwarf that has been loyal since the beginning, or the boastful guy who only came because he needed you (even if he has changed)? Though Genn does have battle experience, he has nowhere near the credentials that Muradin has. Furthermore, Genn would be most likely closed minded to the idea of an eventual peace with the Horde, something Muradin would at least consider. He even endangered the political status of the Alliance to satisfy his need for revenge (though Muradin may have attacked Sylvanas in Stormheim anyways after 1. being apparently betrayed at their most dire moment and 2. seeing the Horde without explanation in Stormheim, away from the fight with the Legion... hm... quite suspicious).

I can't say definitively which of the three he would have picked.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, yes, Muradin would have attacked Sylvanas immediately upon seeing her in Stormheim. He did so to Saurfang in Icecrown even after finding out that the betrayal at the Wrathgate was instigated by a rogue agent of the Horde, as opposed to a leading member of the Horde herself. In Legion, there was absolutely no indication that the apparent betrayal didn't happen at all in between the Broken Shore and Stormheim. In that case, I revoke my claim that Genn let his motivation for revenge get out of hand, though if I was Varian, I'd still be worried that Genn would reject eventual peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    He be seeing loa mon.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

I'm not sure that Varian would get to decide who the next High King is either way. Seems to me that it would be a choice made by the collective faction leaders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Choosing a warrior would make more sense, and Anduin isn't one. Though I always believed Anduin would make a great leader, and maybe a High King doesn't have to be someone who gets into the thick of things, but someone who is able to look at the big picture.

I think people are getting confused with High King and King. Anduin was absolutely being groomed for both. But they are two very different positions as well. High King is less ruling based and more military based.

Chris Metzen and Dave Kosak later clarified that it was about military control similar to Anduin Lothar's position as Supreme Allied Commander, not about faction-wide political control Metzen also confirmed that the High King only has control over the forces given to him, and leaders who don't like his calls can choose not to commit their forces
    Now whilst being groomed for both, Anduin at this point is clearly more capable at one more so than the other. Being the ruler of Stormwind is very different to commander of the combined Alliance military. Whilst Varian would absolutely want Anduin to assume that role one day, I don't believe he would have given it at this point in time. He would have appointed someone to take the mantle until Anduin was truly ready.

The three main choices you'd look at are Muradin, Tyrande and Genn. Whilst Varian can understand Genn due to his former feelings of the Horde, he would likely see him as too dangerous to maintain peace, and bad for public relations (as of his character in Legion at least).

Between Tyrande and Muradin, lore wise I'd say Muradin due to a far more established relationship and Muradin's long record with the Alliance. Despite that, I think Blizzard would lean more "rule of cool" and put Tyrande as the High Queen. Muradin has had no or "so little it's not worth pointing out" story and lore since Cataclysm. And even then it was mostly confined to The shattering. He's not in the limelight enough and Blizzard would worry a number of players wouldn't really know who he is. Even though he's on the EK loading screen, Moira has had more screen time. Where as Tyrande is more widely recognisable and has played a sizeable role in Legion so far. I can also see them getting geeked out over the idea of both Alliance and Horde leaders being Elves.

So if Varian was to pick, he'd pick Tyrande. Mostly due to Blizzards decisions.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haekke View Post
    He wouldn't pick Muradin because Varian hated the dwarves after they captured Anduin.
    Lol, what? He doesnt hate dwarves. He didnt trust the DARK IRON DWARVES, and he even works together with them in MoP during the Blood in the Snow scenario.
    Hariuha laþu laukar gakar alu ole lule laukar

He'd still pick Anduin. I don't think there would be anyone else he would trust more than his own son.
    'Words do not win wars. That is a tragedy.'

where the fuck is the moira option?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Highwhale View Post

PS In my opinion Jarod Shadowsong should be the High King.
    Jarod is a military commander, he has no real experience with politics, something a High King must have, "King" also implies necessity of Royalty of some sort to hold the position... "Supreme Commander of the Alliance" is a purely military title, and the title Anduin Lothar once held as the leader of all Alliance military forces during the second war, that would be a more fitting title/position for Jarod.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Jarod is a military commander, he has no real experience with politics, something a High King must have, "King" also implies necessity of Royalty of some sort to hold the position... "Supreme Commander of the Alliance" is a purely military title, and the title Anduin Lothar once held as the leader of all Alliance military forces during the second war, that would be a more fitting title/position for Jarod.
    No. High King is a military position, not a political one.

Or at least it was until Blizzard's writers went full retard and made Anduin High King because fuck the Alliance apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    No. High King is a military position, not a political one.

Or at least it was until Blizzard's writers went full retard and made Anduin High King because fuck the Alliance apparently.
    There is a political element in that the other races need to be convinced you have their best interests in mind and care about their individual agendas, otherwise they mightn't give you control of their armies. It's not just controlling troops, you do need to play politics somewhat as High King. Which Varian did.

The main difference between King and High King is a King is a ruler of people, and a High King is a commander of combined armies. Both involve at least some politics.