Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

What point in WoW did legendaries lose relevance?

used to have to work towards getting a legendary. slowly got easier and easier and now what should be the most prestigious items in the game are randomly generated.

sad.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    and that has what to do with relevance? nothing.

When this guy appeared to give freebie cloaks to everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mop was such trash. So much bad happened.

Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    Mop was such trash. So much bad happened.
    Nice examples.

Nothing wrong with everyone having a chance to get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Comfort Zone View Post

no i think it got bad when people could do a Questline to get them and farm it. it made it have a clear outlined goal, you would eventually get it, this happened since Ulduar, where you had to do a quest to get items to drop or do a quest from item drops.

before that they were random drops in raid that you had to get.
    they should go back to that thoery make them actuall legendarys not a FoTm you won the lotto here have this.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler

If you are trying to AE tank and a bad dps is attacking the wrong target and dies, we call that justice.

We already had our daily legendary whine thread
    “You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
    – C.S. Lewis

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Around the time when your adolescent mind stopped being impressed by people in Ironforge, and instead focused on your own gameplay.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

yeah cause the legendary daggers were hard to get, or the legendary staff from firelands, or ulduars, or shadowmourne, o rthe ones from before that were random drops. Hell the first 2 legendaries were random drop quest chains that werent hard if your guild could clear it. Legendaries have never been hard to obtain. The only legendary that has ever had an prestige was the neck that wasnt supposed to be in the game.

Legendary means nothing more than how strong the item is. The only reason Vanilla and TBC ones seem to have been more prestigious was because there were less people raiding back then, than there are now. Or at least less people clearing the end game raids.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulForge View Post
    Nice examples.

Nothing wrong with everyone having a chance to get them.
    What was wrong was using them to milk sub fees out of the players. Gota keep playing not because the game is good, (and it was horrible during mop) but because I don't want to fall behind on my legendary quest and not be able to get in a decent raid group.

I better buy the next expansion (wod). If i don't keep up on my legendary quest, i'll fall behind and never get in a decent raid group.

I better buy Legion and maintain my sub. If I fall behind on the artifact weapon, i'll never get in a good raid group...

And the cycle continues.

People need to stop thinking the legendaries of Legion are the same as the legendaries back in MoP/WoD are the same as the legendaries of Vanilla/BC/Wrath/Cata. The current ones are more like expensive, high end craftable items or world drops. The ones from MoP/WoD are more like the old class quests in vanilla like Rhok'delar. They're all orange and all called "legendaries" but they're not at all the same thing and I guarantee the people going "oh boohoo you get free legendaries now WELL BACK IN MY DAY" never had any of the original ones at all.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account

But you still had to work toward getting it though or did you forget that bit.. Same with the ring in WoD you still had to do a long ass grind to get it.. The only other legendaries you had to do a long ass grind for were in Vanilla, WoTLK and Cataclysm and in Burning Crusade it was the luck of RNG on Illidan and Kil'jaeden and to be lucky enough to win the roll..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SafariDiscoLion View Post
    People need to stop thinking the legendaries of Legion are the same as the legendaries back in MoP/WoD are the same as the legendaries of Vanilla/BC/Wrath/Cata. The current ones are more like expensive, high end craftable items or world drops. The ones from MoP/WoD are more like the old class quests in vanilla like Rhok'delar. They're all orange and all called "legendaries" but they're not at all the same thing and I guarantee the people going "oh boohoo you get free legendaries now WELL BACK IN MY DAY" never had any of the original ones at all.
    Yeah the ones in Vanilla you had to be lucky enough or chosen to get the items required for the two weapons not to mention there were 40 peeps with at least 5 or 10 of those vying for the items.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post
    yeah cause the legendary daggers were hard to get, or the legendary staff from firelands, or ulduars, or shadowmourne, o rthe ones from before that were random drops. Hell the first 2 legendaries were random drop quest chains that werent hard if your guild could clear it. Legendaries have never been hard to obtain. The only legendary that has ever had an prestige was the neck that wasnt supposed to be in the game.

Legendary means nothing more than how strong the item is. The only reason Vanilla and TBC ones seem to have been more prestigious was because there were less people raiding back then, than there are now. Or at least less people clearing the end game raids.
    Exactly this ^ by 100 but it is funny how people put an item with orange writing in such high regard now days..

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Legendaries are more relevant now than they've ever been.

The super RNG lottery of "lol get drops and become OP as fuck." in Vanilla/BC didn't make them relevant. Just something that most people knew they never ever had a chance of getting and so didn't care about.

In Wrath they became quests, also for the super hardcore. Not really relevant. Same with Cata.

In MoP they became quite relevant with any player dedicated enough to do the entire questline able to get one. Same with WoD. And right now at this moment they're SUPER relevant, look how many threads there are about them. They've become MORE relevant, not less.

Quote Originally Posted by Pandragon View Post

This kinda. Anyone who played during the time of old legends kinda realize that they were just RNG and not particularly difficult to get in their own right. At most I would say the Bow and Aetish were a pain since TF and Sulfuron, the content for them wasnt particularly difficult, just grindy while those above two, not many did them while current due to the difficulty, fewer still got the legends. But at that point the gear itself from those raids were just as prestigious as the legends.

Then we had WotLK and on where people more easily pugged legends. Mind you, they had for TF, Sulfuron and Warglaives but not as widespread. But it cant be stressed enough, they did certainly pug legends and had been doing so since vanilla.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

The original legendary system wasn't that bad, the worst part was definitely waiting your turn, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by javen View Post
    The original legendary system wasn't that bad, the worst part was definitely waiting your turn, though.
    I hope Eye drops because I crafted my hammer. Oh some dude who was stockpiling dkp took it. Well then.

10+ Year Old Account
    If they're so fucking irrelevant why are there dozens of threads about them?
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by SL1200 View Post
    What was wrong was using them to milk sub fees out of the players. Gota keep playing not because the game is good, (and it was horrible during mop) but because I don't want to fall behind on my legendary quest and not be able to get in a decent raid group.

I better buy the next expansion (wod). If i don't keep up on my legendary quest, i'll fall behind and never get in a decent raid group.

I better buy Legion and maintain my sub. If I fall behind on the artifact weapon, i'll never get in a good raid group...

And the cycle continues.
    Oh yes indeed it does. Players setting themselves up for unnecessary burnouts for no reason. Strange how no one is really crying havoc about artifact power anymore, it's as if they didn't actually get benched because their weapon wasn't lvl 54 before Nighthold opened.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    alot of whining but no one has been able to provide logical evidence to show legendaries have any relevance

100% correct. When everyone gets something it's no longer special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    Nah nah, see... I live by one simple creed: You might catch more flies with honey, but to catch honeys you gotta be fly.