Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Russia's armed forces have essentially the same problems the US does. A load of very expensive kit that looks impressive and might have been useful in WWII but that's useless in modern guerrila warfare. So we get the same bragging about how powerful they are as we do with the US and the same lack of supporting evidence eagerly swallowed by bloodthirsty morons.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    I was wondering the same thing about you. Especially when you see that the number of exercises in the past year or so that were contacted by the Russian armed forces account for more than double of the EU combined. If you think Russian forces are poorly trained, go look at the other countries.

Lastly, Russia in contrast to the USA (which was my subject as well) has fought some real wars, and has been in situations with odds highly unfavorable to them
    Yes, most Russian troops are poorly trained. About half of them are only in for a year (which was about how long I was in training in the USN). Russia's reserves are in even worse readiness shape. They still havent been able to figure out how to form an effective NCO corps!

Some of Russia's real wars:
    WWI: ~2.2 million dead vs ~800,000 for the Central Powers
    WWII: ~6.6 million dead vs ~4.4 million for the Axis. (While suffering 3x the losses in armor and planes vs the Axis)

Russia wins by being able/willing to suffer much more death and destruction than who they are fighting, not by being better or even as good.

WWII was the last significant conventional conflict Russians fought, it has no bearing on today. The US also fought WWII, and won in highly unfavorable situations as well. That has no bearing on today.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean? What the military of the country that saved a continent from the Nazis, learned during the battle? Are you serious?
    I guess you've never been in the military right?

Also, i love how you took back the propaganda part. You have been spreading Russophobia and propaganda for 2-3 years now.
    What Russia learned from WWII: If you have more than 2X the people you can suffer 2X the losses and win. When you have major help with wartime production, you can suffer 3X the losses or armor and planes and still win. When you have enough petroleum to fuel your tanks and the enemy doesnt, you win. When you are fighting a country that is also fighting on other fronts and suffering massive bombing (while you are not) you win. Not very useful today.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you mean? What the military of the country that saved a continent from the Nazis, learned during the battle? Are you serious?
    I guess you've never been in the military right?

Also, i love how you took back the propaganda part. You have been spreading Russophobia and propaganda for 2-3 years now.
    What Russia learned from WWII: If you have more than 2X the people you can suffer 2X the losses and win. When you have major help with wartime production, you can suffer 3X the losses or armor and planes and still win. When you have enough petroleum to fuel your tanks and the enemy doesnt, you win. When you are fighting a country that is also fighting on other fronts and suffering massive bombing (while you are not) you win. Not very useful today.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Did you actually check? Yes, Europe gets more and more dependent on energy imports; it is written right on same page as those "superb reneweable energy growth" graphs.

And Russia provides most of those imports in gas, oil, and solid fuels.
    Mainly because they are cheap, not because they are the only game in town.

- - - Updated - - -

No, the military passes things like KNOWLEDGE to be able to create things like STRATEGIES. You know, the courses that are taught to the military personnel in military schools.

Who said WW2 makes Russian living Gods? And at the end of the day it doesn't matter what i or you think. The fact that there needs to be an alliance in order to deal with Russia if it ever comes down to that, speaks by itself.

The fact that you feel the need to use my parents origin, makes me think you're but hurt somehow =)
    You have been tremendously negative since 2 years + now with anything that has to do with Russia.

In fact you opinion is so biased, that it my eyes bleed when i read anything you have to say concerning Russia. You completely dismiss facts like the tremendous military exercises and training of the Russian Armed forces the past 5 years or so. The tremendous success they had in Syria. Do you know that maybe besides USA, no other country can do what Russia did in Syria?

Your opinion is so biased against Russia as a whole that it rarely seems a good thing to waste time reading it.
    Most of the lessons of the Eastern Front are what Germany did wrong, not what Russia (USSR) did right.....

Most of those military exercises have been deemed less than stellar. What Russia did in Syria: Bomb targets with total disregard for collateral damage. Its easy to kill the enemy when you dont care about who else you kill.
    Last edited by Kellhound; 2017-02-18 at 06:19 PM.

Putin orders Russia to recognize documents issued in rebel-held east Ukraine
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uk...KBN15X0KR?il=0

President Vladimir Putin ordered Russian authorities on Saturday to temporarily recognize civil registration documents issued in separatist-held areas of eastern Ukraine, a decision strongly criticized by Ukraine's president.

The decision will enable people from the conflict-hit region to travel, work or study in Russia.

According to Putin's order, published on the Kremlin website, Russia will temporarily recognize identity documents, diplomas, birth and marriage certificates and vehicle registration plates issued in the eastern Ukraine regions of Donetsk and Luhansk.

The legislation will be in place until a "political settlement of the situation" in these regions based on the Minsk peace accords, the Kremlin said.

Ukrainian authorities sharply criticized Putin's decision, saying Russia had violated the Minsk peace process.

"For me, this is another proof of Russian occupation as well as Russian violation of international law," Ukraine's President Petro Poroshenko told reporters in Munich, Germany.

"This step completely negates the Minsk process," said Oleksander Turchynov, secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defence Council, which is headed by Poroshenko.

Fighting has recently escalated in the conflict between the Ukrainian government and Russian-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, refocusing global attention on a simmering conflict that has strained relations between Russia and the West.

The February 2015 Minsk peace agreement only locked the two sides into a stalemate that has been broken periodically by sharp resurgences of fighting that Kiev and the Kremlin accuse each other of instigating.

The foreign ministers of Germany, France, Russia and Ukraine met on Saturday in Munich and agreed to use their influence to implement a ceasefire and the withdrawal of heavy weapons from Monday in eastern Ukraine.
    That installation is ONLY dangerous if USA decides to strike first. If Russia launches first an attack, its completely not an issue.

10+ Year Old Account
    It is "Figure 2: Development of the production of primary energy (by fuel type), EU-28, 2004–14"

Where does it get mentioned?

The growth of primary production from renewable energy sources exceeded that of all the other energy types; this growth was relatively uniform during the period covering 2004–14, with a small dip in production in 2011 (see Figure 2). Over this 10-year period the production of renewables increased by 73.1 %. By contrast, the production levels for the other primary sources of energy generally fell over this period, the largest reductions being recorded for crude oil (-52.0 %), natural gas (-42.9 %) and solid fuels (-25.5 %), with a more modest fall of 13.1 % for nuclear energy.

"Primary energy". And what does "primary energy" actually means?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_energy

Primary energy (PE) is an energy form found in nature that has not been subjected to any conversion or transformation process. It is energy contained in raw fuels, and other forms of energy received as input to a system. Primary energy can be non-renewable or renewable.

It's YOUR OWN EU SOURCES of oil, gas, and everything else going downhill. They are running out.

EU imports of oil didn't actually decrease by 52% - they were 4193891 in 2005, and they are 3825221 in 2015, about 9% decrease (in 1000 bbl by volume).
    Since 1990, EU energy use has seen a massive drop in solid fuels, a drop in oil use, a smaller gain in gas use (but it is trending down), and a huge gain in renewable use. If current trends continue, in 10 years renewables will be the #2 energy source in the EU and it will be closing in on oil. In 20 years it will pass oil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by boomgoesthedynamite View Post
    Putin orders Russia to recognize documents issued in rebel-held east Ukraine
    http://www.reuters.com/article/us-uk...KBN15X0KR?il=0
    Good. People can travel and work, something that Ukraine tried to prevent to pressure eastern regions into submission. Doesn't affect Minsk agreement in any way, but its another excuse for Ukraine to backpedal on agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    Since 1990, EU energy use has seen a massive drop in solid fuels, a drop in oil use, a smaller gain in gas use (but it is trending down), and a huge gain in renewable use. If current trends continue, in 10 years renewables will be the #2 energy source in the EU and it will be closing in on oil. In 20 years it will pass oil.
    There is a limit on renewable sources. There are only so many wind farms that can be placed. It is also bad for environment because those wind farms kill lots of birds during migration period.

Demand for power is constantly going up. Energy saving got much better in recent years, but it also has limit. Current trend is temporary. EU needs to build more nuclear power plants to overcome demand in future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post
    Good. People can travel and work, something that Ukraine tried to prevent to pressure eastern regions into submission. Doesn't affect Minsk agreement in any way, but its another excuse for Ukraine to backpedal on agreement.

- - - Updated - - -

There is a limit on renewable sources. There are only so many wind farms that can be placed. It is also bad for environment because those wind farms kill lots of birds during migration period.

Demand for power is constantly going up. Energy saving got much better in recent years, but it also has limit. Current trend is temporary. EU needs to build more nuclear power plants to overcome demand in future.
    Demand for power is going DOWN and has for some time. Nuclear is far worse for the environment than wind farms long term.

I'm fairly certain there will be fairly rapid diminishing returns (not every country has places with decent wind, and it isn't really economical to have solar panel on every roof).

And you'll still need to keep backup capacity online to deal with night-day (and seasonal) variance of solar or general variance of wind.

Quote Originally Posted by Binki View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Part of the Minks agreement, is "Restore control of the state border to the Ukrainian government in the whole conflict zone"

Deleted
    Facepalm as much as you like, mr arm chair warrior. We are still taught tactics from various battles, even ancient ones. But i guess you would knew that if you only had been to the army for a few months,.
    The armies of the World War I also knew all the tactics before hitting the battlefield. They rapidly found how wrong were they, and tactics are the first thing to go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Crispin View Post
    Part of the Minks agreement, is "Restore control of the state border to the Ukrainian government in the whole conflict zone"
    It has "moving heavy military equipment from front lines" before that though.

As well as amnesty to those in conflict zone.

It has "moving heavy military equipment from front lines" before that though.

As well as amnesty to those in conflict zone.
    Not arguing that at all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm fairly certain there will be fairly rapid diminishing returns (not every country has places with decent wind, and it isn't really economical to have solar panel on every roof).

And you'll still need to keep backup capacity online to deal with night-day (and seasonal) variance of solar or general variance of wind.
    Wind and solar are not the only sources, and solar is becoming more affordable.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    As a show of hands how many ardent warhawks are signing up to die in the Russian winter over the Ukraine again?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Crimea is Russian and Russia is Crimea it will never go back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    As a show of hands how many ardent warhawks are signing up to die in the Russian winter over the Ukraine again?
    I am no longer qualified for military service because of my disability, or I would still be in.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iLurk View Post
    So, I'm no Russian apologist but...demonstrably false. Kaspersky Labs says hello. Russia has a dangerously talented infosec braintrust the West would be foolish to marginalize or ignore.
    US$619 million is Kaspersky labs income?
    About 3,500 employees?

Microsoft is at 85 BILLION income. that's close to 160 times what that little lab makes. Sorry but Russia has 0 influence in the tech world. Their economy is on the verge of collapse because their currency is garbage now. I mean every country has great engineers that can invent things, But America has invented most of the modern world from cars to electricity to the internet. It's not even a contest to compare the US to Russia in terms of scientific achievements and our economy.

As expected russia stronk! Sweden wont give jamtland back to Norway either
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    In other countries like Canada the population has chosen to believe in hope, peace and tolerance. This we can see from the election of the Honourable Justin Trudeau who stood against the politics of hate and divisiveness.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    No way should the US fight a war in the Ukraine. They are not part of NATO?

Also, IMO there is not going to be a war with Russia for not giving the Crimea back. Sanctions, yeah.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    If someone would've stood up to Hitler when he annexed the Sudetenland 63 million people wouldn't have died.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudetenland
    Who? No one in Europe at that time was in any position to stand up to Germany, which had been under a large military build up before then.

I am no longer qualified for military service because of my disability, or I would still be in.
    spoke as a true couch general.

10+ Year Old Account
    spoke as a true couch general.
    Really? I made E-5 in less than 4 years. I easily would have made Chief, which would allow me to stay in for over 20 years. So absolutely, I would still be in. Its not something I would expect a mere conscript to understand.