Page 12 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    She's been the one saying that all Muslims should respect and fulfill the French culture and religion when they are in France.

She goes to Lebanon and doesn't wanna respect their culture and religion? Sounds pretty hypocrite to me. Not to mention she isn't stupid so she knew the protocol before even meeting the Mufti since it's a custom that is used for any female when they meet a mufti, it's similar to when you meet the highly placed Buddhist and Hinduism leaders, you need to be in certain robes and can't wear shoes and whatever I've missed out.

Let's not forget what this was, a pure political stunt and a pure provocation, but the French are a very tolerable population in general, and they are more likely to hate her for it.
    The difference is one aspect of that culture is completely backwards and oppressive. One should never respect that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    Why should a woman have to bend to the cultures of others that don't respect them. Whether she knew ahead of time or not?
    She knew it well and long enough, it's a custom for how long now? Since Lebanon is a country?

Quote Originally Posted by God Emperor Trump View Post
    The difference is one aspect of that culture is that it is completely backwards and oppressive. One should never respect that.
    Many wear them because they like to, as it's more tradition and etiquette to them. But maybe that's "internalized oppression"
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Quote Originally Posted by Macaquerie View Post
    The whole idea of "respecting culture" is just BS. If you can't come up with a better reason why people should do what you say besides it just being your custom, then you probably shouldn't be doing it to begin with.
    And yet people get pissed off when immigrants don't respect American culture or assimilate quickly enough.

She's been the one saying that all Muslims should respect and fulfill the French culture and religion when they are in France.

She goes to Lebanon and doesn't wanna respect their culture and religion? Sounds pretty hypocrite to me. Not to mention she isn't stupid so she knew the protocol before even meeting the Mufti since it's a custom that is used for any female when they meet a mufti, it's similar to when you meet the highly placed Buddhist and Hinduism leaders, you need to be in certain robes and can't wear shoes and whatever I've missed out.

Let's not forget what this was, a pure political stunt and a pure provocation, but the French are a very tolerable population in general, and they are more likely to hate her for it.
    Respecting a culture is one thing, oppressing women based on culture is another.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Many wear them because they like to. But maybe that's "internalized oppression"
    Then it is a choice. But the moment they force her to wear one is when the oppression starts.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AbortedGodFetus View Post
    Why should a woman have to bend to the cultures of others that don't respect them. Whether she knew ahead of time or not?
    She could have not bend by just not going to the meting... Instead she made a political stunt out of it, I'm not saying refusing to wear the veil is wrong, i'm saying she's fooling people... she's at the head of a party how get most of their vote from people how have absolutely no respect for women either, I've lived in France for 4 years, in a region were the FN gets a huge amount of vote, and i can tell you those people are the same one who think women should not speak in church and should not dress inappropriate, sorry find it a bit hypocritical...

7+ Year Old Account
    Its good to see a strong female leader not afraid to stand her ground and refuse to be viewed as property of men.

Respect to her when we see other self-proclaimed failed feminists that the left seems to hold as beacons of virtue:

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    No, you haven't. As evidenced by the most recent question about the Bar Mitzvah, which you didn't answer.

I'm asking questions directly related to religious headwear.

It's obvious that someone is losing a debate when they start calling other people names. "You're sexist!"

My position is pretty clear here. Wearing a piece of fabric on your head as a sign of respect toward a religious culture is perfectly fine. If they don't want to wear the piece of fabric, that's fine too. Neither position is bold, brave, or commendable.

- - - Updated - - -

Now dresses and tuxedos are sexist? What the fuck?
    Losing? You can't even refute my original argument, all you can do is provide further example and say "hey is this sexist too!" And all those I answered. I am not simply name calling I am giving examples why you're being sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Again, refusing to look at the context. What is it with you?

Here's the actual context:No one is "forcing" her to wear anything. She was asked. She declined. It's not "just because she's a woman". The context involves thousands of years of religious tradition and culture.

If anything, this is hypocritical of Le Pen. She constantly argues that Muslim migrants in France need to adapt to French culture, or go home. Yet when she's asked to adapt to a particular culture when visiting a foreign nation, she balks.
    Look how far the termites have spread.

Quote Originally Posted by psyquest View Post
    we are done man. dont think I can reason with your kind.
    I understand, you can refute logic and have to give up.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    Dont be sorry. So far the biggest impact I've seen from this story is this thread....... like I said, in France it's just "good ol' Marine doing her thing as usual"....
    Good to hear it's not to much of a story, i should start reading french paper again .

Then it is a choice. But the moment they force her to wear one is when the oppression starts.
    Like much in life, sometimes you just have to suck it up and be the bigger person. But that of course depends on what kind of relation one wants, maybe LePen wants an antagonistic relationship with this country, forgoing diplomacy.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tupimus View Post
    I did not advocate for a preventative genocide. Get over the Hitler fantasies already. I'd be content with them just not showering our countries with their problems, because even if I use colourful (stronk!) language, I am not unreasonable. I certainly try not to be.
    yet you say things like
    These peoples understand nothing but a brutal show of overwhelming force.
    or things like
    A good rule of thumb is if it seeks to kill you it's justified to kill it before it kills you, broski.
    So which is it, kill or no kill? it's confusing.

But i don't agree with you, the general population of country in the middle east don't strap bomb on their waist and blow themselves up, they just want to live and let live. A demonstration of force to these population achive nothing. You need them as allies against terrorists, not sympathizer to their cause.

Deleted
    The difference is one aspect of that culture is that it is completely backwards and oppressive. One should never respect that.
    No not really, you can keep thinking that, but you'll still be wrong. It's a form of respect and when you are an invited guest to someone's country then you adhere to it, or when a friend invites you over you are going to be all yourself and go against his wishes either? No you won't.

Whether it's oppressive or not is completely irrelevant, because you don't live in that country, thus you don't have the simple right to pull that card, it's up to the women that live there and wear veils to say whether it's oppressive or not. Mind you, Lebanon isn't oppressive, it's quite a good country for women, they are allowed to dress quite liberally and have nearly equal rights to their male counterparts.

Mind you, her reason was simply to provocate, nothing else, she's known for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Respecting a culture is one thing, oppressing women based on culture is another.
    Lebanon doesn't oppress women, if you had a brain cell, you could do the research and read how liberal lebanon is towards their females.

Many wear them because they like to, as it's more tradition and etiquette to them. But maybe that's "internalized oppression"
    Many women got pissed when the swedish politicians choose to wear them in iran like for example this

Masih Alinejad, a journalist and activist who started a Facebook page that invited Iranian women to share photographs of themselves without a hijab, also criticized the Swedish delegation.

“By actually complying with the directives of the Islamic Republic, Western women legitimize the compulsory hijab law,” Alinejad wrote on Facebook. “This is a discriminatory law and it's not an internal matter when the Islamic Republic forces all non-Iranian women to wear hijab as well.”

I dont care personaly i just think it was very funny seeing as women rights where one of the things they where there to discuss.

But when in rome indeed just abit hypocritical imo to wear them and at the same time is there to discuss women rights in iran

Im sure many wear them of free will and im also sure many wants a change. Cant have it all i guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like much in life, sometimes you just have to suck it up and be the bigger person. But that of course depends on what kind of relation one wants, maybe LePen wants an antagonistic relationship with this country, forgoing diplomacy.
    Bigger person? More like a spineless beta. If they are pissed, then that is all on them.

Quote Originally Posted by AveMaria View Post
    Its good to see a strong female leader not afraid to stand her ground and refuse to be viewed as property of men.

Respect to her when we see other self-proclaimed failed feminists that the left seems to hold as beacons of virtue:
    Respect goes along a way if you want diplomatic relations with others. A hijab is just head-wear to most non-Muslims, and no big deal. And it's much more than a tool of oppression since many Muslim women continue wearing them even in countries where there is no law requiring them, almost as if it's become a tradition since it doesn't actually harm anyone.

Deleted

Well.... you obviously dont read the thread or ignored some posts..... this is NOT a lebanese custom. Lebanon is NOT a Muslim country like Iran or SA

Also you clearly dont know anything about what french people think about her. French people doesn't need this or anything else to hate her already, and those who liked her before this likes her even more now. If anything she won a few undecided electors over this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Groh View Post
    Well.... you obviously dont read the thread or ignored some posts..... this is NOT a lebanese custom. Lebanon is NOT a Muslim country like Iran or SA

Also you clearly dont know anything about what french people think about her. French people doesn't need this or anything else to hate her already, and those who liked her before this likes her even more now. If anything she won a few undecided electors over this.
    Research the term mufti and come back when you are educated on the matter.