15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    10/10 Means something different for each reviewer and person in general.

10/10 Has never ment perfect by any of the big named reviewers. The issues people have had with games (Zelda BOTW) could be so small to them they still feel its a 10/10.

Everyone should take review's with a massive grain of salt ether way. Enjoy the game rate it what you wish and be happy.
    I agree with you, so saying it is 10/10 is just stupid.

Look, I liked the game for what it was trying to do and I think those parts shined, but it was help back by so many flaws all piled on top of it. My biggest problem is not letting you explore when that what was the whole point of the game. I can't count how many times I was running around climbing mountains and all of a sudden it starts raining so I can't anymore. I just left the game running till it stopped raining and then came back. But yeah, 10/10 so fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    I agree with you, so saying it is 10/10 is just stupid.
    "I disagree with a sites take on what 10/10 should be so I'm crying on MMO-Champion about it"

Since every Zelda game gets free 10/10s I wonder why no Zelda game has received such universal praise since OoT. I wonder why BoTW has the metacritic record for most 10/10 reviews.

You're trying to argue the game isn't perfect, when no reviewer has said the game is perfect and 10/10 does not mean perfect. Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time but he like no football player is perfect. Yet, you can't argue him having a 99 rating(the highest you can get) in madden under the guise of "but he's not perfect!".

The game has flaws, if those flaws are enough to make the game the review score you want it to be then so be it, yet many people have given it a 10/10 while mentioning the flaws still. If you can't grasp that 10/10 does not mean perfect game then you must be new to video games. There has never been a perfect video game, there will never be a perfect video game yet there will always be 10/10 reviews. Stop crying about it, it's called opinions.

Having beat BoTW, its definitely good and fun. One of the best Nintendo games ( if not the best ) i've played.

With this said... I feel the reviews are higher than they should be. Personal opinion - I feel like this is the first true "Next gen" game nintendo has produced. To put some perspective on what I mean by this, if you take a look at games like... Witcher 3, GTA, Uncharted, Horizon, ETC those are amazing games with tons of features and experiences. Epic storylines, fantastic graphics etc. Next gen gaming in 2017.

Historically, all Nintendo releases are triple A shovelware games ( again, opinion ). I just really don't consider the Mario Kart franchise, super mario games, donkey kong, and what have you comparable to what Sony and Microsoft have been offering for years. While fun, they are not on the same level as triple A Xbox and Playstation games. I hope i'm explaining this correctly.

I feel the reviews and general reaction to Breath of the Wild is largely in part because this is the first true next gen experience nintendo has delivered ever, if not for a very very long time. Again, i loved Breath of the Wild and i'm glad I own a switch.

But I really think the hype, high ratings, etc is just due to this being nintendo's (and likely most nintendo fans) first true experience with a next gen open world game.

I believe the sequel to breath of the wild will be absolutely amazing now that the core engine is up and running. /throws up flame shield

Edit: The people talking about the pokemon franchises lack of effort in design is what i'm saying, but I feel this translates to almost all nintendo games. They're fun pick up and play games, nothing wrong with it. I love it. Just hard to justify purchasing said pick up and play game versus a true experience like when Witcher 3 launched.
    Last edited by rosebull; 2017-03-11 at 10:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rosebull View Post
    Having beat BoTW, its definitely good and fun. One of the best Nintendo games ( if not the best ) i've played.

With this said... I feel the reviews are higher than they should be. Personal opinion - I feel like this is the first true "Next gen" game nintendo has produced. To put some perspective on what I mean by this, if you take a look at games like... Witcher 3, GTA, Uncharted, Horizon, ETC those are amazing games with tons of features and experiences. Epic storylines, fantastic graphics etc. Next gen gaming in 2017.

Historically, all Nintendo releases are triple A shovelware games ( again, opinion ). I just really don't consider the Mario Kart franchise, super mario games, donkey kong, and what have you comparable to what Sony and Microsoft have been offering for years. While fun, they are not on the same level as triple A Xbox and Playstation games. I hope i'm explaining this correctly.

I feel the reviews and general reaction to Breath of the Wild is largely in part because this is the first true next gen experience nintendo has delivered ever, if not for a very very long time. Again, i loved Breath of the Wild and i'm glad I own a switch.

But I really think the hype, high ratings, etc is just due to this being nintendo's (and likely most nintendo fans) first true experience with a next gen open world game.

I believe the sequel to breath of the wild will be absolutely amazing now that the core engine is up and running.
    This post is completely nonsensical considering the fact you're acting like the press people reviewing this game only review and play Nintendo games. Hint: They don't.

Yes, obviously anyone giving it strong reviews never played another open world game before

Also it's hilarious that there is a more impressive/larger open world game on the Wii U and people act like BoTW is the first one Nintendo has made. World alone XCX trumps BoTW, BoTW reviewed much higher however because the gameplay is smoother, the story is easier to follow and keep up with and the physics engine adds a lot of imagination and magic to the game.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-03-11 at 10:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    There has never been a perfect video game
    I highly disagree, Pong and Pac-Man are perfect games....................................

I love The Last of Us to me its a 10/10 but yes it had flaws. Like you said 10/10 doesn't mean perfect and never did, I love bloodborn and its a 10/10.

The only time I think performance should effect a review score is when the performance issue is massive and effects the enjoyment of the game. For some this may and that's there own personal review.

For me, That has yet to be seen but likely won't.

This Just In: Reviews are Opinions....nothing more
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

I highly disagree, Pong and Pac-Man are perfect games....................................

I love The Last of Us to me its a 10/10 but yes it had flaws. Like you said 10/10 doesn't mean perfect and never did, I love bloodborn and its a 10/10.

The only time I think performance should effect a review score is when the performance issue is massive and effects the enjoyment of the game. For some this may and that's there own personal review.

For me, That has yet to be seen but likely won't.

This Just In: Reviews are Opinions....nothing more
    The last of us is definitely a 10/10, i'd throw Heavy Rain as a 10/10 as well.

You're literally fucking wrong. I beat the game last night, so I should know
    I've played 50 hours plus. I do know. Don't know what your point is here?

Ah yeah. That old chestnut.
    'Defending' Nintendo because I give an opinion that isn't slamming the game?

Just played another 45 mins or so. One FPS drop when swimming and getting attacked by Octoroks. Das it.

=PPPPP

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    "I disagree with a sites take on what 10/10 should be so I'm crying on MMO-Champion about it"

Since every Zelda game gets free 10/10s I wonder why no Zelda game has received such universal praise since OoT. I wonder why BoTW has the metacritic record for most 10/10 reviews.

You're trying to argue the game isn't perfect, when no reviewer has said the game is perfect and 10/10 does not mean perfect. Jerry Rice is the best WR of all time but he like no football player is perfect. Yet, you can't argue him having a 99 rating(the highest you can get) in madden under the guise of "but he's not perfect!".

The game has flaws, if those flaws are enough to make the game the review score you want it to be then so be it, yet many people have given it a 10/10 while mentioning the flaws still. If you can't grasp that 10/10 does not mean perfect game then you must be new to video games. There has never been a perfect video game, there will never be a perfect video game yet there will always be 10/10 reviews. Stop crying about it, it's called opinions.
    Yeah, discussing a game on a video game is crying now, ok doooooood. Also both tp and ss, which were alright and terrible respectively, did get universal praise. It's funny you call me new to video games, when I play them for research and because people in this thread told me to play the game and yet I beat it so they could somehow prove me wrong because they like the game so much for some reason that they feel personally attacked when a game they like gets called out.

People just don't understand that the sum of its part hold back the game so bad that it turns into a slog. You can hide behind your opinion all you want, but I'm going to call it out when you're wrong or you're just overlooking them because you like the game so much. Automata was a masterpeice, but it also had framerate issues on a pro, I saw through the world a bunch, it had a shoestring budget, it had a small and fairly empty world, but unlike zelda, it all worked.

I just don't understand how can people like a game this much when the game does what it can to stop you from enjoying it
    - It won't let you explore because of the weather - the point of the game
    - Exploring lets you find those arena things for the skull chests and each enemy drops weapons, but oops! You can't carry anymore. So you open the chest only to get a weapon you also can't carry
    - After realizing it's not in your best interest to fight everything because there is no point, you can be left in a situation where you don't have weapons anymore because of how fast they break
    - You finally get a horse that you can't use because the horse refuses to go anywhere and you can't call it anywhere like you can in oot. Also has terrible controls
    - Almost all solutions is to get anywhere is climbing or gliding which gets boring
    - Stamina meter is terrible and runs out too fast which just prevents you from exploring

I fully enjoyed how much of a video game it can be by letting you try new things with the physics and some of the shrines were 10/10, but unlike the older zeldas I'm never gonna play this game again. I'd be excited for a new zelda if it kept the open world, but added actual dungeons, regular items back, diving, better combat, actual music and to take out weather affecting anything, or at least only needing to get a tunic which you can't miss anyway. So many missed opportunities and it just makes me sad.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    I've played 50 hours plus. I do know. Don't know what your point is here?

Ah yeah. That old chestnut.
    'Defending' Nintendo because I give an opinion that isn't slamming the game?

Just played another 45 mins or so. One FPS drop when swimming and getting attacked by Octoroks. Das it.

=PPPPP
    If you only had one drop in 45 minutes, you must have a better specs switch than mine. But yeah, that star means I beat it. I don't care if you slam the game, but stop lying about the frame rate.

I just don't understand how can people like a game this much when the game does what it can to stop you from enjoying it
    Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you can't accept that people have a different opinion then you.

The things you say the game did that tried to stop you from enjoying it, Others don't feel the same way and in fact like those things it did.

Different strokes for different fokes.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

If you only had one drop in 45 minutes, you must have a better specs switch than mine. But yeah, that star means I beat it. I don't care if you slam the game, but stop lying about the frame rate.
    Why would I lie?
    I've given criticisms on other parts of the game. Why not join you in agreeing about the "constant" FPS problems?

Because they're over-exaggerated and have an extremely low impact on the game experience. The little list you made above, gives a decent amount of negatives on the game. Most of which I agree with, and all of them have more impact than these supposed "constant" FPS problems.

This is my last post on the matter. I've made my point and now getting bored of this entire discussion (finally).
    Enjoy your 'debate'.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't take this the wrong way but maybe you can't accept that people have a different opinion then you.

The things you say the game did that tried to stop you from enjoying it, Others don't feel the same way and in fact like those things it did.

Different strokes for different fokes.
    I don't care if people like the game, but they need to be more objective about it. I kind of liked the game myself, enough to beat it, which I can't say the same for skyward sword. My problem is when people like a game so much they can't even give some criticism and if nintendo sees this game getting 10/10 everywhere, they'll just make the same game again. Zelda is in a weird spot now where they might continue botw or lttp/oot style and I'm a little worried it'll be botw style while leaving all the good parts about the old games behind. Botw might be the re4 of zelda, but we eventually got re6 which was fucking terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankLampard View Post
    Why would I lie?
    I've given criticisms on other parts of the game. Why not join you in agreeing about the "constant" FPS problems?

Because they're over-exaggerated and have an extremely low impact on the game experience. The little list you made above, gives a decent amount of negatives on the game. Most of which I agree with, and all of them have more impact than these supposed "constant" FPS problems.

This is my last post on the matter. I've made my point and now getting bored of this entire discussion (finally).
    Enjoy your 'debate'.
    Because you love the game. I never even said they were that big of a deal, but they are constant whether you like it or not; all the time, everywhere besides in the shrines. I wish they weren't because why would I want a game I spent 360 dollars on to have issues?

Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    BotW review embargo is dropping slowly.
    Seems like it scores fairly well (10/10 from ign and kotaku so far) despite the reported framerate drops.
    Framerate and load times are a big deal to me and people like myself. It's not a 10 for me because of the framerate being 30 and the microstutters. If it didn't suffer from those two problems (those are problems to me) then I would consider it a 10.

Yeah, discussing a game on a video game is crying now, ok doooooood. Also both tp and ss, which were alright and terrible respectively, did get universal praise. It's funny you call me new to video games, when I play them for research and because people in this thread told me to play the game and yet I beat it so they could somehow prove me wrong because they like the game so much for some reason that they feel personally attacked when a game they like gets called out.

People just don't understand that the sum of its part hold back the game so bad that it turns into a slog. You can hide behind your opinion all you want, but I'm going to call it out when you're wrong or you're just overlooking them because you like the game so much. Automata was a masterpeice, but it also had framerate issues on a pro, I saw through the world a bunch, it had a shoestring budget, it had a small and fairly empty world, but unlike zelda, it all worked.

- It won't let you explore because of the weather - the point of the game
    - Exploring lets you find those arena things for the skull chests and each enemy drops weapons, but oops! You can't carry anymore. So you open the chest only to get a weapon you also can't carry
    - After realizing it's not in your best interest to fight everything because there is no point, you can be left in a situation where you don't have weapons anymore because of how fast they break
    - You finally get a horse that you can't use because the horse refuses to go anywhere and you can't call it anywhere like you can in oot. Also has terrible controls
    - Almost all solutions is to get anywhere is climbing or gliding which gets boring
    - Stamina meter is terrible and runs out too fast which just prevents you from exploring

I fully enjoyed how much of a video game it can be by letting you try new things with the physics and some of the shrines were 10/10, but unlike the older zeldas I'm never gonna play this game again. I'd be excited for a new zelda if it kept the open world, but added actual dungeons, regular items back, diving, better combat, actual music and to take out weather affecting anything, or at least only needing to get a tunic which you can't miss anyway. So many missed opportunities and it just makes me sad.

You might not like SS personally, but in no way was that game terrible...

10+ Year Old Account
    You're literally fucking wrong. I beat the game last night, so I should know
    You are wrong, period. I trust my own eyes over some guy on the internet that is over-exaggerating the issue.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-03-12 at 12:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen Death Knight View Post
    You are wrong, period. I trust my own eyes over some guy over the internet that is over-exaggerating the issue.
    Ya fuck benchmarks that I have linked in this thread that prove you wrong right....

You clearly have the only perfect copy of Zelda/Switch in the world.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't care if people like the game, but they need to be more objective about it. I kind of liked the game myself, enough to beat it, which I can't say the same for skyward sword. My problem is when people like a game so much they can't even give some criticism and if nintendo sees this game getting 10/10 everywhere, they'll just make the same game again. Zelda is in a weird spot now where they might continue botw or lttp/oot style and I'm a little worried it'll be botw style while leaving all the good parts about the old games behind.
    No your issue is you don't agree with people and want people to agree with you in the hope that they don't make another BOTW style zelda. The thing you need to realize is there is MANY who love this style as well and many who enjoyed the things you hated.

Zelda isn't in a weird spot, Each zelda has been different then the one before it. Its likely the next zelda will be different as well. Also seeing how The Switch has a future of being Nintendo's only system. Good chance we will have both LTTP/OoT and BOTW zelda's.

There hasn't been one time in the history of Zelda where all Nintendo did was copy and paste to the next Zelda. Each one has been different in many ways.

15+ Year Old Account
    You are wrong, period. I trust my own eyes over some guy over the internet that is over-exaggerating the issue.
    And I'm gonna trust me, my boyfriend, digital foundry and gamexplain over some random guy on the internet trying to downplay it like it's nothing.

Ya fuck benchmarks that I have linked in this thread that prove you wrong right....

- - - Updated - - -

No your issue is you don't agree with people and want people to agree with you in the hope that they don't make another BOTW style zelda. The thing you need to realize is there is MANY who love this style as well and many who enjoyed the things you hated.

Zelda isn't in a weird spot, Each zelda has been different then the one before it. Its likely the next zelda will be different as well. Also seeing how The Switch has a future of being Nintendo's only system. Good chance we will have both LTTP/OoT and BOTW zelda's.

There hasn't been one time in the history of Zelda where all Nintendo did was copy and paste to the next Zelda. Each one has been different in many ways.
    If I wanted people to agree with me, I wouldn't post in a lion's den. But anyway, zelda changes every game, but the fundamentals have been the same. Go to dungeon - do dungeon - get item - kill boss - repeat till ganon. Lbw changed it a little where you get items whenever you want, but it still kept everything else and I liked it because it still felt like a zelda at heart. Botw is the first in a very long time where they deviated from that and it was marketed as such so I can't really fault nintendo because they were very upfront about it. All I really want is a mixture because it departed from the formula too much. With the masses, they just made another oot which they tried to copy all the way up till ss and they became increasingly worse and it might be likely they try to copy botw for a bunch of games now.

My main point in all of this, if they go back to the old style then people are going to get up in arms and if they keep it the same then I won't be buying them anymore. I'm sure they'll go for the most profitable option, but it makes me sad. Guess I'll just play link's awakening for the rest of my life.
    Last edited by Video Games; 2017-03-12 at 12:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account

The point.

Your head.

Actually bother reading before putting words into other people's mouths.

Actually bother reading before putting words into other people's mouths.
    Last checked these are your words.
    You are saying others are wrong when IN FACT you are wrong and even the benchmark video I have linked many times proves you wrong.

Then you try to reply to me with some smartass remark.

Bottom line when it comes to the performance of Zelda:BOTW you are wrong. This isn't a opinion, This isn't people over-exaggerating. This is you being 100% wrong and there is many benchmarks to prove it.

If you like Zelda that's fine good chance in two day's I will as well. But don't try to downplay its issues with performance.

You don't have some special copy/system that has better performance then anyone else.

10+ Year Old Account
    Last checked these are your words.
    You are saying others are wrong when IN FACT you are wrong and even the benchmark video I have linked many times proves you wrong.

Then you try to reply to me with some smartass remark.

Bottom line when it comes to the performance of Zelda:BOTW you are wrong. This isn't a opinion, This isn't people over-exaggerating. This is you being 100% wrong and there is many benchmarks to prove it.

If you like Zelda that's fine good chance in two day's I will as well. But don't try to downplay its issues with performance.

You don't have some special copy/system that has better performance then anyone else.
    You are as dense as a freaking rock. Just because you decided to join in on the conversation without bothering reading the rest that I have said in this thread regarding the issue of frame rate drops does not make your argument any less nonsensical. If you can't argue based on what people actually say, then I have no business talking to you.
    Last edited by Frozen Death Knight; 2017-03-12 at 02:38 AM.

You are as dense as a freaking rock. Just because you decided to join in on the conversation without bothering reading the rest that I have said in this thread regaarding the issue of frame rate drops does not make your argument any less nonsensical. If you can't argue based on what people actually say, then I have no business talking to you.
    So now we resort to insults and acting like a child when you get proven wrong. You have repeated the same crap a few times now and I have proven it wrong. Before you make claims about someone over-exaggerating on the performance issues how about you know what you are talking about.

10+ Year Old Account
    And I'm gonna trust me, my boyfriend, digital foundry and gamexplain over some random guy on the internet trying to downplay it like it's nothing.
    I didn't say that it was nothing. I said it was few and far between. If the game was constantly dropping to 20 FPS throughout the entire game I would have agreed with you, but it is not. Even the videos testing the frame rate do not have constant 20 FPS drop rates. They happen when certain conditions are met, which are not present in the entire game.