Page 58 of 66 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by TJrogue View Post
    So you can get bored faster?
    why the hell do you assume everyone gets bored just because they can use their Flying Mounts ?? Stop putting your own Views on everyone else. To me Flying means more Freedom and Choice and i never get bored because of that. Wanna know what gets me bored ? having to walk the same god damn Path ive walked 5000 times this Expansion getting stuck on the same god damn piece of shit Wood on the Ground... not being able to climb a little Rock because Blizzard thinks its funny to limit our Freedom of Movement. And People realy need to stop using that awful Argument that Flying removes the Danger in the World... Having itemlevel over 840 removes pretty much everything

So... Im getting super bored without flying.
    Last edited by mmoceff7c3a265; 2017-03-21 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Travel is boring, so it's not about getting bored faster as much as minimizing what's already boring. Face it, the world is trivial and mobs in your way don't pose any challenge or necessity to defeating them. Same with most environmental obstacles. They're just in your way and they don't add any real fun to getting from A to B (for the thousandth time). If there was any purpose to overcoming the obstacles between A to B, then we might have something to talk about. Right now, there isn't.

When it's a choice between do repeatedly boring task slower and longer or get repeatedly boring task out of the way quickly, which would you choose?
    Flying makes things boring.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    And what makes this doubly annoying to me is that none of these branches, tree trunks, rocks etc are there randomly. Each one was placed in the path deliberately by a zone designer.

In reality, my mount would not just run into a branch and then continue to run into it over and over... it would go around it. Couple this with the "Oh you are a powerful [CLASS] and are key to defeating the Burning Legion... but you cannot climb a 4 foot rock" and the environmental obstacles are annoying as hell. Now combine that with zone designs in Stormheim and Highmountain that often give you one and only one way to get to something.

Then ask yourself this - how does any of this make the game BETTER? More fun? More interesting? How is the game really worse if I can fly over this crap that I've run through 50 or 100 times?
    You just sound bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post
    Only to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    "Real" Demon Hunters don't work as a class in modern WoW
    Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Please point out to me the player Demon Hunter who has Meta.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodElf4Life View Post
    The system was broken. Either you embrace the resulting change or you don't.

People will not stop playing World of Warcraft because of flying and that's the reality behind it. A small portion maybe, but it's a fair trade versus the gain in dynamic game design.

I don't expect to change your mind on the subject. However, the point you're making is not valid - the reality behind this change was a trade for a larger gain. It's a winning strategy that ultimately made a small portion of the player base - perhaps rightfully - angry, but also genuinely raised the quality of the level design of the game.
    I'm still waiting on a convincing and specific example of how delaying flight has improved level design in any way. The overworld is the same it's ever been, you just can't fly in it anymore or have flight-only zones such as Storm Peaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren Sth View Post
    They really have. By only enabling it when it doesn't matter anymore.

7.2 will enable flying, but it will be done after people have spent months on the Broken Isles doing their quests while not flying.
    You understand that the content is designed this way, to be explored on land first; that when we have flying the fun comes from the sense of reward and achievement finally realised?

Because the expansion was over. When the flying patch came out, I had 2 days of gametime left. And I didn't renew my sub at that point and went on a 1-year break, because the expansion was over anyway.
    Your sole experience is not how the majority enjoyed flying in WoD.

This will be the standard now. Flying is gone.
    As others have said, from when it was announced in WoD everyone knew it would be the standard and from what I recall it was unanimously a popular design. In my personal experience I don't have one B.net friend nor Guildy that disliked it.

I could argue flying makes so many designs whimsical and experiences trivial but there's no need. Get with the picture, the Pathfinder design of flying is pretty popular and was a hugely risky but brave move on Blizzard's behalf.

On a personal level, lack of flying hasn't hurt my gold making ability -I'm a serious AH player but (now) casual raider, with alts -it hasn't hurt my enjoyment of the game and I don't see any of my friends nor guildies complaining. I honestly think you're just plain shortsighted based on your (by your own admittance) short twilight experience of flying in WoD.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    I'm still waiting on a convincing and specific example of how delaying flight has improved level design in any way. The overworld is the same it's ever been, you just can't fly in it anymore or have flight-only zones such as Storm Peaks.
    Highmountain forces your brain to think in paths rather than lines. It forces you to learn the environment and the terrain if you wish to move from point A to point B. You learn where different mobs are relative to several areas, making it more dynamic and immersive.

Same goes for Stormheim and to some extent Azsuna. I would argue that the gain is minimal in Val'Sharah and Suramar, except Suramar City and Black Rook.

The thing is, when you say "convincing and specific example", you're not genuinely looking for that. You're looking for an argument to put down, regardless if your counter argument is valid.

But these areas, being designed in three different axis, makes them incredibly dynamic when your character movement is mostly constricted to two. To strategically think of the environment around you is a level design that will always be richer than freeform 3D movement, where you always repeat the same: Fly up, spot objective, dive in, move out. Instead, you have another, much more complex recipe: Spot objective first, deduce possible paths, test hypothesis, repeat until objective is achieved.

You cannot argue against that. Whether or not you personally enjoy the richer game design of using the environment around you is another story entirely, and one where its subjectivity has been debated years upon years.

As to why flying has been delayed is to ensure a fair play by everyone involved within a responsible time frame. Grievers two months in a new expansion is not fun but for the grievers.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xqt View Post
    why the hell do you assume everyone gets bored just because they can use their Flying Mounts ?? Stop putting your own Views on everyone else. To me Flying means more Freedom and Choice and i never get bored because of that. Wanna know what gets me bored ? having to walk the same god damn Path ive walked 5000 times this Expansion getting stuck on the same god damn piece of shit Wood on the Ground... not being able to climb a little Rock because Blizzard thinks its funny to limit our Freedom of Movement. And People realy need to stop using that awful Argument that Flying removes the Danger in the World... Having itemlevel over 840 removes pretty much everything

So... Im getting super bored without flying.
    Then you have adhd and need to see a doctor. If the 3 minutes tops waiting time you have to endure to get from one side of the map to the opposite side makes you super bored, you have issues and we shouldn't take your opinion into consideration

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Phumbles View Post

- - - Updated - - -

You just sound bad.
    Excellent, well argued commentary.

- - - Updated - - -

Highmountain forces your brain to think in paths rather than lines. It forces you to learn the environment and the terrain if you wish to move from point A to point B. You learn where different mobs are relative to several areas, making it more dynamic and immersive.
    And when you've run up that path 56 times? Is it still really immersive? Or just annoying to get to the quest exclamation point?

But these areas, being designed in three different axis, makes them incredibly dynamic when your character movement is mostly constricted to two. To strategically think of the environment around you is a level design that will always be richer than freeform 3D movement, where you always repeat the same: Fly up, spot objective, dive in, move out. Instead, you have another, much more complex recipe: Spot objective first, deduce possible paths, test hypothesis, repeat until objective is achieved.
    Yet how involving is that? Even if it's a good thing for player immersion initially as we do what we'd do IRL and learn the pathways (and I can see that argument), once I learn how to get to something, I lose all of that problem solving immersion. There's no 'deduce possible paths' etc since I know the path. The path being on the ground just means I have to run along it, avoiding silly sticks on the ground and getting dazed by things that don't really threaten me or involve me in the world much.

As to why flying has been delayed is to ensure a fair play by everyone involved within a responsible time frame. Grievers two months in a new expansion is not fun but for the grievers.
    Fair play? We've been 110 for MONTHS. I'm not sure of your point here but if you are arguing about world PVP and griefers then 1) I play on a PVE server, why should I be constrained by what PVP server players want and 2) It's better for players who don't want to be griefed to have flight vs not since they can simply avoid combat if they want to.
    Last edited by clevin; 2017-03-21 at 10:58 PM.

Deleted

- - - Updated - - -

And when you've run up that path 56 times? Is it still really immersive? Or just annoying to get to the quest exclamation point?

Yet how involving is that? Even if it's a good thing for player immersion initially as we do what we'd do IRL and learn the pathways (and I can see that argument), once I learn how to get to something, I lose all of that problem solving immersion. There's no 'deduce possible paths' etc since I know the path. The path being on the ground just means I have to run along it, avoiding silly sticks on the ground and getting dazed by things that don't really threaten me or involve me in the world much.

Fair play? We've been 110 for MONTHS. I'm not sure of your point here but if you are arguing about world PVP and griefers then 1) I play on a PVE server, why should I be constrained by what PVP server players want and 2) It's better for players who don't want to be griefed to have flight vs not since they can simply avoid combat if they want to.
    Whether you find it involving or not is your opinion. That a character is more involved in the world when limited by physical boundaries is a fact. You might find it boring or engaging. Doesn't matter. On the ground, terrain dictates your path, in the air it doesn't.

The system was broken. Either you embrace the resulting change or you don't.

People will not stop playing World of Warcraft because of flying and that's the reality behind it. A small portion maybe, but it's a fair trade versus the gain in dynamic game design.

I don't expect to change your mind on the subject. However, the point you're making is not valid - the reality behind this change was a trade for a larger gain. It's a winning strategy that ultimately made a small portion of the player base - perhaps rightfully - angry, but also genuinely raised the quality of the level design of the game.
    The system is still broken. Right now all we see is an improvement in how they're designing quests and world content, but we're still tied to the repeated content grind systems that make 'immersion' nothing more than a trivial pursuit. Our purpose is the world is to do world quests. Anything else that happens in between is a distraction from that purpose. Ground travel isn't any more fun than it was before. We're only doing it in a new environment so it seems fresh but mostly because quest and world content design wasn't as strong in previous expansions.

Let's take their in-game cinematics as an example. They've improved their systems and their ability to tell a much better story with better animations, better character models and better use of camera-work. Despite having better cinematic quality, we're still going to get tired of and skip repeated scripted events in daily quests or raids whenever we can because it's nothing we haven't seen/done many times before. That's the problem with repetition, and it's not a case of 'fair trade vs gain in dynamic design' when it all still boils down to the same content being repeated thousands of times over.

Same goes for Stormheim and to some extent Azsuna. I would argue that the gain is minimal in Val'Sharah and Suramar, except Suramar City and Black Rook.

The thing is, when you say "convincing and specific example", you're not genuinely looking for that. You're looking for an argument to put down, regardless if your counter argument is valid.

You cannot argue against that. Whether or not you personally enjoy the richer game design of using the environment around you is another story entirely, and one where its subjectivity has been debated years upon years.

I'd appreciate you not projecting a mindset into someone before you're even finished arguing with them.

This sort of level design existed before Pathfinder. Kun-Lai alone has these sorts of paths in its northern sections, for example. It just naturally comes with the place being, you know, a mountain. It's not like zones with various paths sprang into existence with Warlords and Legion.

The gains seem very minimal to me, countered against the convenience of flying. Finding the best path to your objective is cool... once. While you level. Once you know it, there isn't any special decision making at play. You alt-tab to the nearest flight path, mount, make as much of a beeline for the objective as you can while ignoring mobs tailing you, whistle, rinse and repeat. It's just another repetition, only a more tedious one this time around since you need to take the same winding paths through the same dazing mobs before getting to the place that actually interests you.

I'd have agreed with your premise had Blizzard used a model where you obtain flight at 110 shortly (a month or two) after release, account wide. Then it means they want people to use the level design for a while at max-level, and always while leveling. But they give it to your account regardless of level, after a long (6+ month) time. So the message is less ''we want you to enjoy our level design!'' and more ''be grounded for half the xpack, trivialize all content including leveling afterwards''.

To say nothing of the fact that between the aforementioned whistle, the kite, emerald winds, the various portals and transportation methods in several class halls and Suramar, and zones being filled with flight masters, we already have several budget alternatives to flying, but Blizz still doesn't give the real deal for some reason. Highmountain may have a variety of paths and all, but I still don't use 75% of them because they don't lead to the world quests I might want. Might as well let me fly then.

EDIT: I'll also add that, with the new draw distance, Blizzard's world looks much, much better when I'm flying and can see from Suramar to the World Tree in Val'sharah, rather than having my face glued to fifty shades of roots and stones.
    Last edited by Jastall; 2017-03-21 at 11:08 PM.

Deleted
    The system is still broken. Right now all we see is an improvement in how they're designing quests and world content, but we're still tied to the repeated content grind systems that make 'immersion' nothing more than a trivial pursuit. Our purpose is the world is to do world quests. Anything else that happens in between is a distraction from that purpose. Ground travel isn't any more fun than it was before. We're only doing it in a new environment so it seems fresh but mostly because quest and world content design wasn't very strong to begin with.

Let's take their in-game cinematics as an example. They've improved their systems and their ability to tell a much better story with better animations, better character models and better use of camera-work. Despite having better cinematic quality, we're still going to get tired of and skip repeated scripted events in daily quests or raids whenever we can because it's nothing we haven't seen/done many times before. That's the problem with repetition, and it's not a case of 'fair trade vs gain in dynamic design' when it all still boils down to the same content being repeated thousands of times over.
    You're asking good questions to the game, I admit, but what you're asking goes beyond the topic. You're questioning the limits of a mmorpg. We will always be tied to repetitive content grind because, unlike single games, the world is not affected by what we do.
    Phasing changed that a bit but still...

- - - Updated - - -

I'd appreciate you not projecting a mindset into someone before you're even finished arguing with them.

This sort of level design existed before Pathfinder. Kun-Lai alone has these sorts of paths in its northern sections, for example. It just naturally comes with the place being, you know, a mountain. It's not like zones with various paths sprang into existence with Warlords and Legion.

The gains seem very minimal to me, countered against the convenience of flying. Finding the best path to your objective is cool... once. While you level. Once you know it, there isn't any special decision making at play. You alt-tab to the nearest flight path, mount, make as much of a beeline for the objective as you can while ignoring mobs tailing you, whistle, rinse and repeat. It's just another repetition, only a more tedious one this time around since you need to take the same winding paths through the same dazing mobs before getting to the place that actually interests you.

I'd have agreed with your premise had Blizzard used a model where you obtain flight at 110 shortly (a month or two) after release, account wide. Then it means they want people to use the level design for a while at max-level, and always while leveling. But they give it to your account regardless of level, after a long (6+ month) time. So the message is less ''we want you to enjoy our level design!'' and more ''be grounded for half the xpack, trivialize all content including leveling afterwards''.

To say nothing of the fact that between the aforementioned whistle, the kite, emerald winds, the various portals and transportation methods in several class halls and Suramar, and zones being filled with flight masters, we already have several budget alternatives to flying, but Blizz still doesn't give the real deal for some reason. Highmountain may have a variety of paths and all, but I still don't use 75% of them because they don't lead to the world quests I might want. Might as well let me fly then.
    Once again, that's your personal experience. Simply put, that's the way you play the game. Your problem.
    Blizzard wants to see the player engaging with terrain, and you can't do that from above, you do it on the ground.

Whether you find it involving or not is your opinion. That a character is more involved in the world when limited by physical boundaries is a fact. You might find it boring or engaging. Doesn't matter. On the ground, terrain dictates your path, in the air it doesn't.
    It does matter. There are tons of games I can play that doesn't have mounted travel or flight and I can have fun in those games exploring on foot because those games aren't built on repetitive content that renders the world boring and predictable. When a game is defined by the grind, then the systems need to accomodate that. Ground travel in WoW is a detriment because the content is repetitive. Unless the content is randomized or offers a fresh experience each time we play, it's going to become boring after a certain point. It has very little to do with being more fun than flying by having its boundaries limited. Exploring different paths has very limited value when we've traversed the same terrain thousands of times over. The terrain never changes.

Deleted
    It does matter. There are tons of games I can play that doesn't have mounted travel or flight and I can have fun in those games exploring on foot because those games aren't built on repetitive content that renders the world boring and predictable. When a game is defined by the grind, then the systems need to accomodate that. Ground travel in WoW is a detriment because the content is repetitive. Unless the content is randomized or offers a fresh experience each time we play, it's going to become boring after a certain point. It has very little to do with being more fun than flying by having its boundaries limited. Exploring different paths has very limited value when we've traversed the same terrain thousands of times over. The terrain never changes.
    Games like?

I saw all of the content the first time through on my pally, and would've loved to have had the opportunity to fly on the 3 alts that I've leveled since to complete the same content. That's why I can't wait to complete BS Pathfinder Part 2.
    I quit the game, and this happens:
    "You can now mount while under the skeleton effect of the Noggenfogger Elixir!"
    Are you effing kidding me?!?!
    Remember 3.0.......

You're asking good questions to the game, I admit, but what you're asking goes beyond the topic. You're questioning the limits of a mmorpg. We will always be tied to repetitive content grind because, unlike single games, the world is not affected by what we do.
    Phasing changed that a bit but still...
    We must understand the core issues with why ground travel is not preferred over flight, and the issues I bring up are THE definitive source of this contention.

Look at any pro-flying statement and it's all got one common factor - I'm done with the content can I have flight now, please?

But the truth is there are many components and factors to flight. It's incredibly OP and broken considering it can skip terrain, is limitless and its travel speed is far superior to any ground travel means. All counter arguments focus on the broken aspects of flight, none of which addresses the core issue of why flight is being wanted in the first place - to make the travel between repetitive content less of a chore.

It's really as simple as that. If you think this is beyond the scope of the discussion, then honestly so are any arguments against convenient methods of travel (flight, instant travel, etc). The reality is the grind is always going to be a part of the game, and all we can do to control that is how efficiently we play. When the tools given to us for efficient play are taken away, then all we're doing is allocating more time on doing things that we don't enjoy instead of focusing it all on the things that we do.

10+ Year Old Account
    The character isnt play the game. I am.

If *I* find it boring, the character will cease to exist because I'll log out and if it's bad enough, I'll unsure.

Games like?
    Breath of the Wild. Skyrim. Vast open worlds, tons to explore. No real flying needed because content is not repetitive, I don't miss 'fast travel' one bit.

Diablo 3. Reptitive content, but has instant travel and takes you STRAIGHT to the action without ever inserting downtime. Exploration is always relevant because of randomized stages. No need for fast travel because there is no filler between content. Rare and Elite mobs are purposeful and give reason not to be skipped over while travelling to objectives.

WoW open world. Very few reasons to kill Rare mobs after the first time. Terrain is static yet overused for repetitive content. No randomized content within the world. End result - the world is filler, which leads to players wanting to get content done as quickly as possible because there isn't any other reason to stick around and explore what's already been explored.

And this is just focusing on one system and why it's broken; this isn't even the only reason why flight is important to the game. There are many factors to flight that can't be replicated or replaced by other systems. Even something as simple and indirect as collecting mounts is a HUGE part of the game, one that has less value if flight itself becomes limited to non-relevant content.
    Last edited by Thimagryn; 2017-03-21 at 11:34 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

1. If you run the same path 56 times, that's on you. You don't get to run the same path 56 times under any single character, even with World Quests, since you pretty much unlock flight paths after doing the path once. Perhaps you shouldn't level 12 alts. Other than that, perhaps you're just short tempered.

2. Only an issue if you run the same path over and over again abusively, which is only an issue if you have not unlocked flight paths. Even getting to Black Rook from the Gilnean city is a matter of two minutes top, unless you're not paying attention - and you hardly ever need to go there in the first place.

3. Gathering world quests, like those where you have to break the totems? I'm speaking of a purely PvE side here. Grief can be done by stealing objectives very easily.

The system is still broken. Right now all we see is an improvement in how they're designing quests and world content, but we're still tied to the repeated content grind systems that make 'immersion' nothing more than a trivial pursuit. Our purpose is the world is to do world quests. Anything else that happens in between is a distraction from that purpose. Ground travel isn't any more fun than it was before. We're only doing it in a new environment so it seems fresh but mostly because quest and world content design wasn't as strong in previous expansions.

That is, again, only an issue if you have to repeat it ad nauseum, which is not an issue right now. Flight paths pretty much makes sure to fix these issues.

EDIT: I'll also add that, with the new draw distance, Blizzard's world looks much, much better when I'm flying and can see from Suramar to the World Tree in Val'sharah, rather than having my face glued to fifty shades of roots and stones.
    1. It's hard not to project a mindset when it's the same thing over and over being debated and debunked time and time again.

2. I have absolutely no memories of MoP landscape outside of the atmosphere of each zones. The leveling experience was neat, but quickly forgotten. That's the problem with flight. The world quickly lose its sense of consistency - however I perfectly remember every areas of Timeless Isle and Isle of Thunder.

3. I disagree. Once is not nearly enough to have a sense of scale, consistency and level design experience to call it done. No flying is only useful and great if it makes you remember the layout and makes you learn of its intricacies. Not every area is perfect - for instance, I dislike the Stormheim far-away "hubs", like the elite area up on the north-east and the poultry farming zone in the south east. But these are the exceptions, not the rule.

4. If you have the achievements, and waited for a tolerable amount of time, then it's only logical to unlock it. You're still required to complete a fairly sizable chain of quests and to wait a moderate amount of time. The message is not so much as you paint it, more than "Experience the game as designed for a moderate amount of time, but we understand that once you've completed it, we have no reason to prevent you more freedom".

5. The 75% number is not true at all. And these things that you are naming offer no actual freedom of movement, only constricted temporary "bonuses". They're not applicable, nor comparable, to flight.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

10+ Year Old Account
    Once again, that's your personal experience. Simply put, that's the way you play the game. Your problem.
    Blizzard wants to see the player engaging with terrain, and you can't do that from above, you do it on the ground.
    My personal experience is all *I* care about.

Obviously Blizzard can force me to do whatever they want... except I always have the option to play less and eventually leave (which I'll do if I play so little that I don't find the game worth the time or money).

I don't find 'engaging with terrain' to be interesting nor do I find it to be good gameplay when I'm doing it for the 300th time. Again, they can set that as a goal if they want. And some of us will eventually find it boring, annoying and the friction will cause us to play less. Some of those who play less will simply stop renewing their subs.

- - - Updated - - -

1. If you run the same path 56 times, that's on you. You don't get to run the same path 56 times under any single character, even with World Quests, since you pretty much unlock flight paths after doing the path once. Perhaps you shouldn't level 12 alts. Other than that, perhaps you're just short tempered.
    Actually no, I do. To get to certain world quests, there's only one way up to the mob (a lot of Warden quests are like this, esp in Stormheim or Highmountain). So yes, I probably have run the same exact path for many of these quests because ONLY that path leads to the mob. Flight paths are irrelevant since there are usually not FPs to the named mobs for world quests.
    2. Only an issue if you run the same path over and over again abusively, which is only an issue if you have not unlocked flight paths. Even getting to Black Rook from the Gilnean city is a matter of two minutes top, unless you're not paying attention - and you hardly ever need to go there in the first place.
    See above. I'm not thinking of thing that are right next to FPs like BRH, but other things that are some distance from a FP and where there's only one way to the quest area.