Page 10 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    Machinery including computers: US$190.5 billion (13.1% of total exports)
    Electrical machinery, equipment: $167.2 billion (11.5%)
    Aircraft, spacecraft: $134.6 billion (9.3%)
    Vehicles : $124.3 billion (8.5%)
    Mineral fuels including oil: $94.7 billion (6.5%)
    Optical, technical, medical apparatus: $82.0 billion (5.6%)
    Plastics, plastic articles: $58.4 billion (4.0%)
    Gems, precious metals: $57.8 billion (4.0%)
    Pharmaceuticals: $47.1 billion (3.2%)
    Organic chemicals: $33.9 billion (2.3%)
    So? How will the US fill the void of the rest? There is reason its limited as it is now.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakis View Post
    Might be called that but the EU wont care. UK is a non-issue compared to keeping the union intact and up and running with business as usual.
    Uk got zero leverage outside intelligence sharing, military collaboration which both parties prosper from.
    I hope they stick to their guns and not give us any freebies and work on what is needed for the EU to thrive. Meanwhile the UK stutters and falls behind more EU and world countries to the point 10 years later people will want Government to apply to return, but this time on the condition we play properly and not try the one foot in one foot out approach.

So? How will the US fill the void of the rest? There is reason its limited as it is now.
    Its limited as it is, because you lot have a a lot of regulations. If the deal that the UK is getting is so bad, then I can see them dropping a lot of the regulations and as a consequence getting more stuff from outside of Europe.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Its limited as it is, because you lot have a a lot of regulations. If the deal that the UK is getting is so bad, then I can see them dropping a lot of the regulations and as a consequence getting more stuff from outside of Europe.
    Question is would it be cost effective. China comes to mind as well as what the US can offer in competitive pricing which I personally hold slim.

Also if it was a quick fix, how come the UK government is so damn keen on trying to push for a good deal with the EU?
    If the US would be an alternative the chase to make it happen is shining with a non-existent effort from the UK side to make it happen.
    Last edited by Bakis; 2017-03-22 at 01:04 AM.
    But soon after Mr Xi secured a third term, Apple released a new version of the feature in China, limiting its scope. Now Chinese users of iPhones and other Apple devices are restricted to a 10-minute window when receiving files from people who are not listed as a contact. After 10 minutes, users can only receive files from contacts.
    Apple did not explain why the update was first introduced in China, but over the years, the tech giant has been criticised for appeasing Beijing.

Question is would it be cost effective. China comes to mind as well as what the US can offer in competitive pricing which I personally hold slim.
    Stuff made in the US is no more expesive that stuff made in China.
    Last edited by NED funded; 2017-03-22 at 01:05 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MysticSnow View Post
    Stuff made from China could easily be made in the USA since the cost of producing it is around the same. And if Trump is succesful in revitalizing the manufacturing industry, I can see us selling a lot of stuff to the UK.
    Sorry to say but there is zero confidence in Europe of Trump managing to do anything.
    And I'm not quite sure it is feasible given the wages in China.

Also, gnite, time to hit the bed
    Last edited by Bakis; 2017-03-22 at 01:07 AM.

Sorry to say but there is zero confidence in Europe of Trump managing to do anything.
    And I'm not quite sure it is feasible given the wages in China.
    Productivity makes up for the difference in wages, wages in China are growing faster than its productivity. So right now it costs around the same to produce stuff in the US. Also see my edit. I corrected my post.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Why would the USA competing with China phase the EU?
    I'm not talking about the USA competing with China, I'm talking about the USA replacing the EU as the UK's primary trade partner and food/goods supplier. Closer than China, but cheaper than the EU, depending on how badly the EU plans on punishing the UK for leaving.

Deleted
    So you are going to replace all the wonderful food stuff that came from the eu, among (if not) the best in the world regarding quality, security and healthness with the nice chines and american ones? Your cusine wasn't really good already, i fell really sorry for ya mates

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    The possibility of a recession. Or was that not the point of asking for non-existent forecasts and labelling it as a "hunch of someone on the internet."?
    It's the same as me saying the UK is going to be the bestest country ever after Brexit and will outgrow everyone, anyone can just make a statement without backing it up.

Like I said, I'm far more inclined to put more weight behind experts who literally do this sort of thing for a living.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tinch View Post
    It's the same as me saying the UK is going to be the bestest country ever after Brexit and will outgrow everyone, anyone can just make a statement without backing it up.

Like I said, I'm far more inclined to put more weight behind experts who literally do this sort of thing for a living.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It is a possibility albeit an unlikely one.

The fact of the matter is the effects of Brexit on the UK economy may not be fully known for a decade or more and it is difficult enough without all the variables involved with Brexit to make forecasts past the short to medium term performance of a country's economic performance. Therefore the forecasts from credible sources that state that there will or will not be a recession simply do not exist (however this does not mean that we can rule out the possibility of one) thus asking for them to be provided is pointless.

No expert has ruled out the possibility of a recession, the effects are far too long reaching and there are too many unknown variables to do so. So to suggest that they had ruled out the possibility of a recession is somewhat misleading but it seems to me that your interest lays with winning an argument on the internet.

The fact of the matter is the effects of Brexit on the UK economy may not be fully known for a decade or more and it is difficult enough without all the variables involved with Brexit to make forecasts past the short to medium term performance of a country's economic performance. Therefore the forecasts from credible sources that state that there will or will not be a recession simply do not exist (however this does not mean that we can rule out the possibility of one) thus asking for them to be provided is pointless.
    There were a number of forecasts made up until 2030. PwC have even issued a report predicting what the economy might look like in 2050. That is pretty long term to me. You can argue that these aren't accurate (and I'd agree to an extent), but you can't say they don't exist.

No expert has ruled out the possibility of a recession, the effects are far too long reaching and there are too many unknown variables to do so. So to suggest that they had ruled out the possibility of a recession is somewhat misleading but it seems to me that your interest lays with winning an argument on the internet.
    Now you're changing the goalposts. I never said a recession has been ruled out, I said it is not being predicted. I was simply responding to a statement that the UK will easily fall into a long-term recession, pointing out that no experts are predicting that this will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockyreg View Post
    Anybody would think the UK is the only country that got any concessions from the EU.
    No but the only one that now lost them all and won't get them back.
    Atoms are liars, they make up everything!

There were a number of forecasts made up until 2030. PwC have even issued a report predicting what the economy might look like in 2050. That is pretty long term to me. You can argue that these aren't accurate (and I'd agree to an extent), but you can't say they don't exist.
    That is not what I said.

Now you're changing the goalposts. I never said a recession has been ruled out, I said it is not being predicted. I was simply responding to a statement that the UK will easily fall into a long-term recession, pointing out that no experts are predicting that this will happen.
    No I am not. Someone says that there will be a recession and you say that experts are not predicting one this would imply that you think what he said was wrong. In reality they are not predicting it because without a working crystal ball they do not have enough data to say one way or another.

That is not what I said.
    the forecasts from credible sources that state that there will or will not be a recession simply do not exist#

Which part of this statement have I misunderstood then?

No I am not. Someone says that there will be a recession and you say that experts are not predicting one this would imply that you think what he said was wrong. In reality they are not predicting it because without a working crystal ball they do not have enough data to say one way or another.
    I was challenging the opinion, it is a discussion forum after all.

As I said many of these forecasts predict different post-Brexit scenarios up until 2030. The forecasts are public and available to view with a simple Google search.

UK will prosper...EU will Fall.........and then Putin would win

7+ Year Old Account
    Let the games begin...

The EU threatens the UK with court action in the Hague on refusal to pay any exit bill. Don't the Europeans realise how their organisations work? The ICJ is merely advisory and relies on enforcement through the UN security council where oh dear, Britain as a permanent member has a veto on any rulings. Big lols.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...it-poll-shows/

In response here come UK sanctions on EU goods. Silly Europeans. Why is Europe shooting itself in the foot like this? More big lols.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/782...-brussels-bloc
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

the forecasts from credible sources that state that there will or will not be a recession simply do not exist#

Which part of this statement have I misunderstood then?
    All it by the looks of things. I did not say that long term predictions did not exist.

I was challenging the opinion, it is a discussion forum after all.

As I said many of these forecasts predict different post-Brexit scenarios up until 2030. The forecasts are public and available to view with a simple Google search.
    Yes, you were. However when you say that experts do not predict a recession the implication is that they do not agree with his point when the reality is that they have not predicted one because they do not have enough data to make the prediction.

Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    I'm not talking about the USA competing with China, I'm talking about the USA replacing the EU as the UK's primary trade partner and food/goods supplier. Closer than China, but cheaper than the EU, depending on how badly the EU plans on punishing the UK for leaving.
    You literally did:
    Quote Originally Posted by jimboa24 View Post
    there's no reason we can't compete with China on various things.
    So, you where saying...?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Let the games begin...

The EU threatens the UK with court action in the Hague on refusal to pay any exit bill. Don't the Europeans realise how their organisations work? The ICJ is merely advisory and relies on enforcement through the UN security council where oh dear, Britain as a permanent member has a veto on any rulings. Big lols.

In response here come UK sanctions on EU goods. Silly Europeans. Why is Europe shooting itself in the foot like this? More big lols.

Well, the EU has rule of the law, the UK aparently doesn't--which ironically would be a reason legitimate to kick them out if they didn't already proclaim their intent to leave.
    Then again, the UK have done that before.

Nice propaganda pieces you linked there, though.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2017-03-22 at 11:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Let the games begin...

In the meantime, Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley are moving employees to mainland Europe. The exodus of the banks is beginning...

https://www.theguardian.com/business...rankfurt-paris
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.