Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Lathais i am not debating the fact intel gets more raid FPS (OF COURSE THEY DO!)
    Thank you for your answer to OP's question, took only 5 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    Thank you for your answer to OP's question, took only 5 pages.
    Yes i suggest you go out and buy as many i5's as you can get your hand on before intel releases the 6core i5's. I mean it, they are going to be very valuable in a year or so, you could make a lot of bank from it.

Another option, instead for going for 60 fps at all times, why not look into gsync/freesync, WoW should be fine at say 40f ps with that.
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Another option, instead for going for 60 fps at all times, why not look into gsync/freesync,
    Tried it.

Gsync does not help with the spots in WoW where you are dipping below 60 like it does other games. WoW engine>gsync.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes i suggest you go out and buy as many i5's as you can get your hand on before intel releases the 6core i5's. I mean it, they are going to be very valuable in a year or so, you could make a lot of bank from it.
    Yes because everyone has the time to wait for the next release. It's an age old problem with technology. The answer to the OP even disregarding the next Intel line up is still Intel. You're just trying to salvage any argument you can at this point.

Arguments like these is making you lose credibility. Get your shit together. No point in furthering this conversation with you.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post
    Yes because everyone has the time to wait for the next release. It's an age old problem with technology. The answer to the OP even disregarding the next Intel line up is still Intel. You're just trying to salvage any argument you can at this point.

Arguments like these is making you lose credibility. Get your shit together. No point in furthering this conversation with you.
    I have always told people that, if you wait to buy the next big thing you will never get a PC completed. This, is NOT that situation my friend. This is a changing of the guard type deal, i5's have been 4 cores for how many years now.....well since their inception at least. This is a big deal, and is absolutely worth waiting for.

Tried it.

Gsync does not help with the spots in WoW where you are dipping below 60 like it does other games. WoW engine>gsync.
    Not sure I follow? Is it dipping below the min fps of gsync?

A cheap option would be https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/dynamic-performance. I don't notice it changing settings (I do run at max settings and let that make adjustments, but honestly not sure I even need it anymore).
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Quote Originally Posted by Amorac View Post
    Not sure I follow? Is it dipping below the min fps of gsync?

A cheap option would be https://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/dynamic-performance. I don't notice it changing settings (I do run at max settings and let that make adjustments, but honestly not sure I even need it anymore).
    No gsync functions correctly in WoW. What i mean is it does not smooth out the gameplay stutter like you expect a frame syncing tech to do in other games. For example witcher 3 played butter smooth even if i was at ~45 FPS, in WoW it was still the choppy mess that happens in some raid fights. WoW engine is simply too ancient to overcome with tech.

No gsync functions correctly in WoW. What i mean is it does not smooth out the gameplay stutter like you expect a frame syncing tech to do in other games. For example witcher 3 played butter smooth even if i was at ~45 FPS, in WoW it was still the choppy mess that happens in some raid fights. WoW engine is simply too ancient to overcome with tech.
    errr gsync problem only? i have freesync and works perfectly

Quote Originally Posted by Spike` View Post
    errr gsync problem only? i have freesync and works perfectly

There isnt a "problem" with gsync, aka it functions in WoW just fine. But what it fails to do is deliver on its promise, a boss fight in nighthold (aluriel for example) will feel just as choppy on a gsync monitor as it does on a standard one.

In a game like witcher 3 it will still feel smooth no matter what fps you are at (as long as you are above 30), not the case for WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by OneWay View Post
    Raids, 30 man, easily 60FPS.
    Lets see those videos then. Youll literally be world e-famous. 60fps in a 30 man (NOT LFR) raid with max settings.

Suramar 60FPS
    ... the most demanding zone in the entire game, particular Suramar city? Not buying what you're selling.

Alterac Valley, 60 FPS
    So when there's 60+ people on the screen, you somehow magically get 60fps all the time. Yeah, not buying.

Lets see the proof.

- - - Updated - - -

So in your eyes the 10 FPS you get going with intel on a 12 year old game (that actually doesnt translate to a better raiding experience) is enough to recommend it over the better chip?

Think about that before you answer.
    Except the Ryzen isn't the "better chip".

For some purposes, it is.

For gaming, it is not.

The benchmarks support that.

How many of the average users of even gaming PCs do you think take advantage of more than 2-3 cores? And before you say "But gayemz do!" - no, they really dont. Even games that ARE heavily multi-thread aware (and there aren't many) like BF1 still play at higher than 60fps on a Pentium G.

The game market isnt going to change to requiring quad-core CPUs any time soon, much less six+ cores. There's too many people out there who are still using DUAL CORES ffs.

You cant make money only selling to 1/10th of the market or less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
    Someone tell me why do people keep suggesting high clock RAM? It's a) minimal performance increase for significant price increase (we are talking about 3-5% performance in best case scenario and 20-200% price difference here); b) no guaranteed to work, this applies to both Intel and especially AMD platforms (XMP is Intel technology). Anything past DDR4-2666 is simply overkill, apart from instances where higher clocked RAM is actually cheaper in a given moment.
    High clocked RAM is actually starting to make a decent difference now on Skylake and Ryzen systems, 2933/3000 is the minimum I'd go when making a new system. Corsair LPX 3200 is also cheap anyway for 16gigs so that's what I got myself. However, it's true that Ryzen is having problems with XMP due to bios/mobo issues, but it does help a lot if you can get it 2933+ (Above 2933 is where you start seeing way less returns)

In regards to OP;

Damn man, your gonna need 7700k + 1080ti for 10 IMO. Level 10 graphics is a huge waste of time although.
    Content drought is a combination of catchup mechanics and no new content.

Quote Originally Posted by Daffan View Post
    High clocked RAM is actually starting to make a decent difference now on Skylake and Ryzen systems, 2933/3000 is the minimum I'd go when making a new system.
    Some testing links would be nice. Everything I've seen on Intel is sub-5% difference for a big price difference. We're talking about gaming I hope, obviously the effect could be a lot more noticable for professional apps. On Ryzen situation is different, due to the way their memory controller works it can for sure benefit from faster memory, but at the same time it's the primary reason why Ryzen has memory compatibility problems, and while fixing the compatibility they are going to lessen the benefit from faster memory.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    Some testing links would be nice. Everything I've seen on Intel is sub-5% difference for a big price difference. We're talking about gaming I hope, obviously the effect could be a lot more noticable for professional apps. On Ryzen situation is different, due to the way their memory controller works it can for sure benefit from faster memory, but at the same time it's the primary reason why Ryzen has memory compatibility problems, and while fixing the compatibility they are going to lessen the benefit from faster memory.
    3200Mhz is now the sweet spot of price to performance which is why I recommended it back on page one. (Which lead to this newest tangent the thread has taken.)

I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

Quote Originally Posted by ovm33 View Post
    3200Mhz is now the sweet spot of price to performance which is why I recommended it back on page one. (Which lead to this newest tangent the thread has taken.)

So 1.5% over DDR4-2666 for 15% price increase (which is about $15). And that's assuming you dont overclock your memory manually (which you should) and your system is not bottlenecked by a GPU (which is the case for most midrange systems). Waste of money.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B

10+ Year Old Account
    So 1.5% over DDR4-2666 for 15% price increase (which is about $15). And that's assuming you dont overclock your memory manually (which you should) and your system is not bottlenecked by a GPU (which is the case for most midrange systems). Waste of money.
    None of that meaning it isn't the best price to performance ratio.

$15 bucks is pretty negligible. That's the difference between a frozen pizza on movie night or delivery. If a person's budget is so tight that every penny matters; then by all means downgrade to what you can afford right now. But in most cases that extra $15 bucks isn't going to get them a better CPU / GPU so they can still gain a small gain in FPS by investing it in RAM.

And if you truly believe it's a waste of money, then why did you buy a speed over 2666Mhz -> 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz?
    I sat alone in the dark one night, tuning in by remote.
    I found a preacher who spoke of the light, but there was Brimstone in his throat.
    He'd show me the way, according to him, in return for my personal check.
    I flipped my channel back to CNN and lit another cigarette.

$15 bucks is pretty negligible. That's the difference between a frozen pizza on movie night or delivery. If a person's budget is so tight that every penny matters; then by all means downgrade to what you can afford right now. But in most cases that extra $15 bucks isn't going to get them a better CPU / GPU so they can still gain a small gain in FPS by investing it in RAM.

And if you truly believe it's a waste of money, then why did you buy a speed over 2666Mhz -> 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz?
    You clearly don't know what price/performance means then.

If it costs 15% more for only 1.5% performance increase, that is pretty much the very definition of worse price/performance ratio. You are not getting 15% more performance for 15% more cost, so it is clearly not the price/performance sweet spot you claim.

However, yes, $15 is pretty negligible and likely worth it if you have a high end video card. Also kind of pointless when you can buy lower speed RAM and overclock it yourself, spending even less.

Only one available. Would've bought 2666 or 2400 it I could. No idea if it could run at 3833 (like this one does) but probably yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    You clearly don't know what price/performance means then.

If it costs 15% more for only 1.5% performance increase, that is pretty much the very definition of worse price/performance ratio. You are not getting 15% more performance for 15% more cost, so it is clearly not the price/performance sweet spot you claim.

However, yes, $15 is pretty negligible and likely worth it if you have a high end video card. Also kind of pointless when you can buy lower speed RAM and overclock it yourself, spending even less.
    I fully agree. If you have maxxed out on all other components and still have spare budget then faster RAM is something that will get you some extra performance (I would go for Trident Z though).

Simple answer wow loves high speed. The 7700k is king can easliy oc to 5.0ghz the rest dosent matter 1080p get a gtx1070 1440p get a 1080 the 1080 ti is not needed at all if youre not going 4k

Honestly, unless it is a must for you (Going 10/10) right now, wait for a year. Ryzen is stirring up the marketplace so unless you have a desperate need for it the better option is to wait.

Else, go with a 7700k along with any Z270 Gaming branded board from MSI/ASRock/Asus and although I hate 970 with a passion it will fit your need in WoW for 1080 (Not for 10/10 and I don't even think 1080 Ti would suffice but difference is not really worth it unless you are after the bragging rights), so you don't need to upgrade that.

Of course, this is based on the assumption that you are not really planning on playing anything else than WoW while expecting to change your rig in 2-3 years.