View Poll Results: Tinkers as the next class?

Voters
937. This poll is closed
  • Yes - If done correctly

330 35.22%
  • No - Tinkers make no sense

340 36.29%
  • Maybe - If done correctly

122 13.02%
  • Other - Stated below

15 1.60%
  • Don't give a fuck either way

130 13.87%
Page 8 of 51 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    Postioning mobs would be a nightmare if somehow you could force them to stay at range. Way to much of the game would have to be reworked for a feature that is silly at its best. What great things do you think a ranged tank would add? Also meta warlocks were melee, not ranged.
    You're really limiting your imagination to the current meta... I get that. I'm thinking bigger. Perhaps bigger than WoW is capable of. But if we're talking about a world we CREATE... nothing is impossible.

Drain tanks were not. Resistance tanks were not.

A tank is defined by its ability to maintain threat, and mitigate damage, not whether or not you are in [arms] reach.
    Last edited by A dot Ham; 2017-05-12 at 04:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    mech suit tank and a healing spec that uses... healing guns? also fits the need for a new mail wearing class. also potential for the first class ever to have a tank spec and a ranged dps spec. (shaman not counting)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Racthoh View Post
    mech suit tank and a healing spec that uses... healing guns? also fits the need for a new mail wearing class. also potential for the first class ever to have a tank spec and a ranged dps spec. (shaman not counting)
    I think we need more leather.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Partysaurus Rex View Post
    Where did I make the claim it was easy? Go on angry poster... find it.
    "Range tanks, mid range dps, and support classes all work... if your development team isn't a bunch of lazy shits.

Blizzard doesn't want to change raid design though."
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    "Range tanks, mid range dps, and support classes all work... if your development team isn't a bunch of lazy shits.

Blizzard doesn't want to change raid design though."
    I did a ctrl + F... couldn't find "easy".

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Dragonheart View Post
    I think that it clashes too much with professions.
    Blizz basically gutted an entire spec (demo lock) in order to make room for demon hunters. I wouldn't put it past them to gut engineering or even remove it and add alternative methods to get engineering mounts/pets/items (such as allowing Tinkers to create them).

To be honest I think Blizz is aiming for this already. They've gutted engineering pretty freaking hard this expac. The new Bling drops nothing but greys 99% of the time, Reeves was garbage until they finally added to ability to create a rechargeable battery, glider was completely nerfed in any instances (while demon hunters can still glide their little hearts out), and they even tried to kill Glider kit sales with that vendor that sold glider kits until Blizz finally removed it due to outrage.

Yeah Engineering still has some amazing toys and tinkers, but almost all of them are from previous expacs and many are nothing more than tiny QoL things.

7+ Year Old Account
    I did a ctrl + F... couldn't find "easy".
    ... at this point i have had enough babbeling with a horrible back seat devolper and im putting you on ignore...

again you claim they work but no devolpers are smart enough and they are too lazy to make it work, all the while i ask you for proof and your only proof is "lol cause im amazing"
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2017-05-12 at 05:20 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    tanking is so much about camera angle and positioning enemies you can't really have a ranged tank. the best you can do is control your pet and your player character becomes an NPC/pet until you (the pet) dies in which case you switch back to controlling your own body.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    ... at this point i have had enough babbeling with a horrible back seat devolper and im putting you on ignore...

again you claim they work but no devolpers are smart enough and they are too lazy to make it work, all the while i ask you for proof and your only proof is "lol cause im amazing"
    I don't think I'll be able survive without your snarkiness.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozler View Post

Nope. Plus it's too much like what Engineers can already do... kinda.
    Well hey they've made all the other professions worthless... its just balance.

Give me an Overwatch type Torb character utilizing turrets for the Tinker class concept. Two dps specs (both ranged) and one healing spec. The turrets dictate all the talents, abilities, etc.

You're really limiting your imagination to the current meta... I get that. I'm thinking bigger. Perhaps bigger than WoW is capable of. But if we're talking about a world we CREATE... nothing is impossible.

Drain tanks were not. Resistance tanks were not.

A tank is defined by its ability to maintain threat, and mitigate damage, not whether or not you are in [arms] reach.
    By mobs nature they go to the character that has threat on them. Changing that would seriously complicate tanking for the tanks we currently have. It would also restrict facinf mobs certain ways, grouping them up or forcing them to move to where you want them when you want them there. Again there is no need or reason to toss a monkey wrench like this into the mix.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrven View Post
    By mobs nature they go to the character that has threat on them. Changing that would seriously complicate tanking for the tanks we currently have. It would also restrict facinf mobs certain ways, grouping them up or forcing them to move to where you want them when you want them there. Again there is no need or reason to toss a monkey wrench like this into the mix.
    I like challenges. I think it adds a complexity and opportunity for game play we have yet to explore.

I'm not a developer either. Working out the problems as they arrive would be their problem. The question is are you committed, and how much are you committed to making it work or not. It comes down to development dollars.

I like challenges. I think it adds a complexity and opportunity for game play we have yet to explore.

I'm not a developer either. Working out the problems as they arrive would be their problem. The question is are you committed, and how much are you committed to making it work or not. It comes down to development dollars.
    Spending money to create problems isn't something they are going to do.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

Hopefully they'll be a MAIL armor based hero class with a ranged dps, tank and heal spec

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bigbleach View Post
    Blizz wouldn't do that, note druid forms. They would have to create additional models of every piece of gear they can equip and bleh bleh bleh. While it would be very very cool, I'd rather them start doing that with druids. I remember seeing a blue post years and years ago during wrath, right before the druid models got their first update, with them admitting they would love to do it but it would be a lot of work that they think the time doing that could be better spent into overall bettering the game. I'm far too lazy to look for it, can either take my word or research it yourself, either way. I would love to see it, I just know they wouldn't take that route.
    most regular gear already has different appearances and coloring. In this instance, the "plated" items would simply change the way guns do between lvl 91 and 100. Or the way helms do between 70-80. The other way to make it work is, the gear doesn't "drop". Parts to make the gear drop much the same way recipes drop for professions, allowing the tinker to build their own suit.

Quote Originally Posted by God Among Men View Post
    most regular gear already has different appearances and coloring. In this instance, the "plated" items would simply change the way guns do between lvl 91 and 100. Or the way helms do between 70-80. The other way to make it work is, the gear doesn't "drop". Parts to make the gear drop much the same way recipes drop for professions, allowing the tinker to build their own suit.
    I'm a fan of Monster Hunter-like crafting, but I don't think it works within the scope of WoW. Even if it were just one part that dropped off of bosses and the rest was bought via NPC(like cooking), the value of drops goes down significantly since they couldn't just slap it on. And since they said that they didn't want people to forgo ilvl in favor of secondary stats, I think it's safe to say that probably don't want to step foot anywhere near that territory for awhile.

Y o u . w i l l . n e v e r . g e t . a . T i n k e r . c l a s s .

Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    None of the Exarchs is an engineer, back in Draenor. The closest I've found is Exarch Hataruu, but nothing about him suggests he's an engineer in the Azerothian sense. I am pretty sure that, considering the overwhelming evidence about Draenei evidence being solely based on magic crystals, the only reasons for a sole Draenei 'engineer' to exist is to be a trainer and because the game does need an NPC with 'engineer' tag.
    Hey, sorry, just want to track back on this point, and say that Draenei could be a reasonable option for a tinker class.

Hataruu is definitely a technology expert. You do a quest with him where he has you power up and utilize a powerful defensive weapon to drive off Iron Horde raiders. He even says the following:
    On our homeworld, art, science, magic and technology were all as one. Ah, such wonders we would build!
    Now, I have only spare parts and whatever primitive materials we can cobble together.
    It is ready! Go inside and power on the console while I observe...
    IMO, Artificer could be Draenei for Tinker, the same way Vindicator is Draenei for Paladin.

That said, I would think Draenei would be somewhat unlikely if tinkers were added. Gnomes and Goblins are obviously the main races, and it could be a two-race class like DHs. Dwarves and Orcs would be the best second races, as they work closely with their factions' main tech race. Draenei and Blood Elves could be added if a magic/tech flair is wanted, while humans and forsaken can be added because they're both flexible, adaptable peoples.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cfStatic View Post
    I'm a fan of Monster Hunter-like crafting, but I don't think it works within the scope of WoW. Even if it were just one part that dropped off of bosses and the rest was bought via NPC(like cooking), the value of drops goes down significantly since they couldn't just slap it on. And since they said that they didn't want people to forgo ilvl in favor of secondary stats, I think it's safe to say that probably don't want to step foot anywhere near that territory for awhile.
    I equate it to assembling our own Auctioneer on Draenor. While the drops would not be rare and few, it would be possible to duplicate. Or, instead, offer the parts as quest rewards, just like gear rewards.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Y o u . w i l l . n e v e r . g e t . a . T i n k e r . c l a s s .
    The same was said when people asked:

- to play scourge
    - to play Goblins
    - for Pandas
    - for Demon Hunters

I hope someone other than myself has bookmarked this post... to revisit at some point with an "I told you so".

If they could figure out how to do it, great. Maybe something like Tactician from Rift. My issue is Engineering profession covers a lot.