Page 4 of 78 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    i5 4c/4t is already semi-questionable with Ryzen 5 around, though if you play primarily single-threaded games (or games using no more then 3-4 threads .. which is actually a lot of really popular online mainstream/"e-sports" games right now) on a 1080p 144hz monitor - a 7600K is still #worth

but with Coffee out it will obsolete entirely

https://hothardware.com/news/intel-1...se-45ghz-turbo

Intel 10-Core Skylake-X Core i9 7900X Leak Suggests 4GHz Base Clock And 4.5GHz Turbo
    a benchmarking database has seemingly revealed new details about one of Intel's Core i9 chips.

That chip in question is the Core i9-7900X. Previous leaks pegged this Skylake-X part as having 10 cores and 20 threads clocked at 3.3GHz, with the ability to reach 4.3GHz with Turbo 2.0 and 4.5GHz with Turbo 3.0. However, a new listing in SiSoft Sandra's database reports a different base clockspeed. According to the listing, the Core i9-7900X has a base clockspeed of 4.0GHz.

In the meantime, this is what we have. The information gathered above is mostly the same from what was previously leaked, save for the base clockspeed, which is apparently much faster than initially thought. Otherwise, the Sandra listing shows the same information as before, including the presence of Hyper Threading, a top 4.5GHz clockspeed with Turbo is engaged, 13.75MB of shared L3 cache, and 1MB of L2 cache per core for a total of 10MB. The listing also indicates a 175W TPD.

175w tdp lol. My 3.8ghz 1700 maxes out at 95w, on the included stock cooler.

Intel should honestly stop producing HEDT chips, ryzen made them irrelevant.

You know that thing is gonna retail for well over a thousand dollars lol.

also here http://ranker.sisoftware.net/show_ru...98ffcc1f9&l=en

1386.94Mpix/s result for 7900X, putting it at second place in the rankings
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-25 at 03:14 PM.

TDP =/= actual real use power consumption fyi

and your Ryzen has lower IPC and much lower stock clocks (3.0/3.7 or something compared to 4.0/4.5 ?)

if you say so

some of us still want to have high clocked CPUs in 2017

we'll see, though ~$1000 for an out of the box 4.0/4.5 10-core could happen and would sell out

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Quick question, would it be possible for a company like Intel or AMD to produce a chipset with LESS cores (like 2-4), but have them clock at like 6.0+ ? Or is it BETTER to have more cores and lower clock speeds. Of course there'd be a premium on the pricing, but it's something I've thought about. I'm asking because Ryzen's clocks not going past 4.1 stable is that an issue because the amount of cores?

It seems like a lot of the new technology is for multimedia use, and not really for gamers as games haven't utilized barely 4 cores yet except on a couple titles, yet I know people would like the cores they have to be higher then 5.1 on a 7700k or something.
    6.0 ? nope, not atm

but 7700K is a gaming beast already

the Coffee Lake potential ~8700K 6c/12t should be the sweet spot for gaming and future gaming (balance of cores with clocks)

Quote Originally Posted by Xinkir View Post
    Quick question, would it be possible for a company like Intel or AMD to produce a chipset with LESS cores (like 2-4), but have them clock at like 6.0+ ? Or is it BETTER to have more cores and lower clock speeds. Of course there'd be a premium on the pricing, but it's something I've thought about. I'm asking because Ryzen's clocks not going past 4.1 stable is that an issue because the amount of cores?

It seems like a lot of the new technology is for multimedia use, and not really for gamers as games haven't utilized barely 4 cores yet except on a couple titles, yet I know people would like the cores they have to be higher then 5.1 on a 7700k or something.
    For current and older games absolutely, but i think we have kinda reached a limit on clockspeeds right now. Going forward you are going to see games trending towards using more cores and clockspeed mattering less and less, this is in part due to a lot of PC titles being ports from the console versions and the eventual adoption of DX12 which utilizes CPU's in a more efficient manner.

- - - Updated - - -

No im talking overclocked my 1700 uses 95w of power, at stock its a 65w TDP.

X99 stuff just makes zero sense with ryzen on the market, who in their right mind is going to spend double for a few hundred megahertz? (triple when you take into account the 1700) Only people that are going to be buying these 10 cores are people with more money than sense, large twitch streamers come to mind.

who in their right mind is going to spend double for a few hundred megahertz?
    4.5 boost is 800 Mhz higher then your 1700s 3.7 boost

today we learned that 800 = few hundred

on top of more IPC

X99 stuff just makes zero sense with ryzen on the market,
    X99 indeed makes no sense, its a year old atm

X299 on the other hand will make perfect sense for high-clocked high-core CPUs

Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    4.5 boost is 800 Mhz higher then your 1700s 3.7 boost

today we learned that 800 = few hundred

X99 indeed makes no sense, its a year old atm

X299 on the other hand will make perfect sense for high-clocked high-core CPUs
    Bro the 1800x boosts to 4.1 out of the box, considering my double the price comment i assumed you could put that one together for yourself....guess not. (and its not going to be 1000, its going to be well north of that)

And no it makes no sense, its still HEDT and ryzen made them irrelevant unless intel does a massive change in their pricing structure.

Im gonna have to ask you stop hijacking my thread with your personal Ryzen purchase, its off-topic and unnecessary

go sing it praises into the Ryzen thread

all you do here is just talk how your Ryzen is the best CPU that ever walked the earth .. thats what the Ryzen thread is for

Bro the 1800x boosts to 4.1 out of the box
    for 1 core, all cores out of the box is something like 3.8 or so, I forget the number exactly .. to get 4.0+ all cores on the 1800X you have to manually OC it

and nice claim of "a couple hundred Mhz" when the OC ceiling of Skylake-X is unknown, could be 4.7+ for all we know

considering my double the price comment
    which was irrelevant since we dont know Skylake-X prices at all

also the $1000 price that you assumed was in regards to the 7900X, which is a 10-core .. Ryzens 7 are 8-cores

so I guess good job comparing (higher-clocked) 10c pricing to a (lower-clocked) 8c pricing
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-25 at 03:40 PM.

lol off topic? Comparing the direct competition?

You are an unabashed intel fanboy and will only purchase their products, i let people know how much off a rip off they are currently in this line of products. Obviously the 10 core should and will have a premium over the 8 cores, but given intels history what makes you think they arent going to be pricing these chips similar to current gen? (1700 dollars lol)

your first comment after a bump in this thread is:
    so yeah, you can go to the Ryzen thread with that crap

and I like Intel for their performance, not their prices

your first comment after a bump in this thread is:

so yeah, you can go to the Ryzen thread with that crap

and I like Intel for their performance, not their prices
    Having more money than sense isnt something id be proud of admitting on a public forum. Pricing is exactly why ryzen made intel HEDT irrelevant, they need to do a serious turnaround in that area for anyone to be even considering skylake-x.

its only irrelevant in your AMD fanboy mind

why should they sell their superior and higher clocked CPUs for the same prices as AMD

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm mostly curious to see Intel's interpretation of what they think "mainstream" will cost for their 6 core SKUs as well as socket support. It's killing me.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

its only irrelevant in your AMD fanboy mind
    Oh the irony.

I bought ryzen because of the excellent price/performance it offered vs intel. This is the first AMD CPU ive had in my PC since athlon xp 1600 that i built in college, i havent had an AMD GPU since ~2006.

Just to be clear life binder im not trying to crap on your thread, but when discussing these chips pricing has to be taken into consideration first and foremost. Yes we dont know pricing yet, but come on this is intel...(not to mention outrageous motherboard pricing compared to the competition)
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2017-05-25 at 04:00 PM.

I would like a machine with more cores, but going ryzen when having a 6700k makes little sence as I would loose IPC and even some clockspeed, I'm waiting to see what skylake-x brings to the table but if they stick to their current prices I will ignore those and watch coffee lake.

Hell if I was certain z270 noard's would run coffee lake CPU's I would by one tomorrow since my current mobo is going tits up.

yes I hope we wont have to wait for details about Coffee platform specs till August

but they will likely want to focus on SKL-X first

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    175w tdp lol. My 3.8ghz 1700 maxes out at 95w, on the included stock cooler.

rofl, you're so clueless it's hilarious.

If these chips end up smoking the Ryzens, which I wouldn't be surprised by, what will you say then?
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    rofl, you're so clueless it's hilarious.

If these chips end up smoking the Ryzens, which I wouldn't be surprised by, what will you say then?
    Well we already know skylakes IPC, add more cores to it and there you go really, the competition to this HEDT isnt even R7, its the R9 aka Threadripper with its 16 cores vs 12 cores.

Gaming wise I still would say the 7700K at 5 Ghz would beat this platform, its happened the last couple of generations actually, Intel may have been able to churn a 12 core CPU once Ryzen hit the market but they wouldnt of had time to increase IPC more or make any big changes.

Which means the main difference lies with productivity and most programs in this area benefits from more cores, I would certainly pick the 16 core Threadripper for Vegas pro 14 over the 12 core Intel here OC to OC.

Coffee Lake 6c will beat 7700k in modern games, im positive

even more so in future games

OCed skylake-x 6c/8c could as well, we'll see
    Last edited by Life-Binder; 2017-05-25 at 07:11 PM.