Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikegreenfire View Post
    Well i don't necessary mean raised either, just feral, without humans to teach us how to be human we will act pretty damn animistic.
    It works both ways too. There was an orangutan named Chantek that was raised by anthropologist Lyn Miles. He was raised learning sign language, understood the concept of work and money. Learned how to make his own necklaces.

One day he escaped his room and scared a student which prompted him to be relocated, eventually ending up in the Atlanta Zoo. When placed with the other orangutans he was entirely unequipped to live with them.

He identified himself as being an "orangutan person" while he identified the other orangutans as being "orange dogs".

http://www.inquisitr.com/3071815/cha...m-orange-dogs/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by matheney2k View Post
    You talk as if the life of a gorilla and the life of a human hold equal value. They do not.
    A perfect example of how the human race is so fucking full of ourselves that we just assume that we are better and more valuable than other creations because we are so damn intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Freighter View Post
    If something goes extinct because of us, then that's because they were not fit to continue living. That's nature.
    You might have had a point before electricity and gunpowder. But as i said even if you want to be purely selfish if you let enough species die off eventually the global ecosystem will collapse, killing us. here is another nifty graph.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-05-29 at 06:39 AM.

You might have had a point before electricity and gunpowder.
    I still have a point even after. They didn't change shit about adapt or die with nature.

I still have a point even after. They didn't change shit about adapt or die with nature.
    But as i said even if you want to be purely selfish if you let enough species die off eventually the global ecosystem will collapse, killing us. here is another nifty graph.

But as i said even if you want to be purely selfish if you let enough species die off eventually the global ecosystem will collapse, killing us. here is another nifty graph.
    I don't care about animals dying, when will you understand that?

The major issue with that is that many species we're driving extinct are species that we actively depend on to preform some ecological role that makes our lives much easier. Take bees for example. Whales indirectly contribute to the fight against climate change by fertilizing and moving phytoplankton and algae to the surface. Being flora the phytoplankton and algae absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.

That's just one of thousands of examples.

Quote Originally Posted by Atethecat View Post
    The major issue with that is that many species we're driving extinct are species that we actively depend on to preform some ecological role that makes our lives much easier. Take bees for example. Whales indirectly contribute to the fight against climate change by fertilizing and moving phytoplankton and algae to the surface. Being flora the phytoplankton and algae absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.

That's just one of thousands of examples.
    I'll be dead long before that's even going to be noticable. So, why should I care?

I'll be dead long before that's even going to be noticable. So, why should I care?
    You assume that you'll be long dead before things are noticeable? Things have already been noticeable for decades and will increasingly become worse.

I'm sorry but you seem to be pretty self-centered and short sighted. You value humans more than non-humans, I do too, but even if you don't value animals in the slightest, you should value to the ecological processes which they contribute to that make your life and mine better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fincayra View Post
    Yes, let's celebrate the zoo worker's quick thinking for saving that young child from what could have been a horrific conclusion.
    Would've been better if the child died. Humans arent endangered, gorillas are. Not that hard to make a new child.

You assume that you'll be long dead before things are noticeable? Things have already been noticeable for decades and will increasingly become worse.

I'm sorry but you seem to be pretty self-centered and short sighted. You value humans more than non-humans, I do too, but even if you don't value animals in the slightest, you should value to the ecological processes which they contribute to that make your life and mine better.
    I've yet to suffer any ill effects of it.

So you only care for you selfthen, you have no care about any other animals or people, including any future children or you siblings future children, ext, or the human race as a whole. I had hoped people like you did not exist, guess i was wrong.
    Last edited by Ilikegreenfire; 2017-05-29 at 06:55 AM.

So you only care for you selfthen, you have no care about any other animals or people, including any future children or you siblings future children, ext, or the human race as a whole. I had hoped people like you did not exist, guess i was wrong.
    I don't really plan on having any children. I don't care about whether the human race survives or not, if we die, we weren't fit. If we survive, we were fit.

I've yet to suffer any ill effects of it.
    Again, you're being short sighted.

Either way there are millions if not billions who don't want to see their homes deforested and in turn desertified. Many species contribute to the development of forests and woodlands which contribute to climate which affects our agriculture.

People in China, India and the West aren't suddenly turning over to green solutions and trying to restore degradated land because it's the cool new thing, it directly and indirectly affects them.

Except that putting an animal in a zoo does the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Barnabas View Post
    Well the purpose of a zoo (in theory) is to take species which are endangered and breed a large enough population to where members can be reintroduced into their environment.

Giant pandas are a good example of an endangered animal that has now been taken off the endangered species list thanks to captive breeding in Chinese and American zoos.

Zoos help preserve species having breeding programs that can help reintroduce populations into the wild, they also educate.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't really plan on having any children. I don't care about whether the human race survives or not, if we die, we weren't fit. If we survive, we were fit.
    We won't live atleast not without launching into space to destroy the next planet, if we some how survive long enough to find one.

Well the purpose of a zoo (in theory) is to take species which are endangered and breed a large enough population to where members can be reintroduced into their environment.

Giant pandas are a good example of an endangered animal that has now been taken off the endangered species list thanks to captive breeding in Chinese and American zoos.
    So when you have sufficient numbers you just can't release them back into the wild and hope for better results. It doesn't work that way. Once domesticated always domesticated. Responding to both replies with this post btw.

So edgy. Don't cut yourself on that one

So when you have sufficient numbers you just can't release them back into the wild and hope for better results. It doesn't work that way. Once domesticated always domesticated. Responding to both replies with this post btw.
    Captive breeding does not equate to domestication. Captive breeding is breeding an animal in captivity. Domestication is generations of selective breeding in order to create an animal docile towards humans.

Case in point, elephants have been used for war and construction for thousands of years, since the Indus River Valley Civilization and Mesopotamia to 2017. Yet they are not domestic, individual elephants are conditioned to working with and under humans.