Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Never believe you have seen the peak of human stupidity and ignorance, or you will constantly be surprised by the new levels the reach almost every day

If you're a warrior, you can go to the top of the skybox and fall without dying. The trick is to heroic leap just before the ground. Luckily, Bliz prepared us for this by randomly dropping us onto a rock in Azsuna, so all warriors should be skilled in this art.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by Rijen5 View Post
    Hey guys, I was flying on my hearthstone steed one day and accidentally hit the dismount key. Well guess what, I died. But this got me thinking, how high am I able to be to survive a fall? I thought this would be a fun little trick that I could show off to my friends so I dug into the topic. Although I had not found anyone who knew about the concept so I decided to find my own.
    I first just flew up in the sky and measured the time it took me to fall. From there I was able to find the gravity of WoW which I got was about 10.6 m/s^2. Now that I know the gravity, I can figure the max height of which I can die. This took some time since I had to estimate and assume certain heights. Also using WoWwiki I based my height scales off of the fact that my race which is a male Blood elf hunter, is 6 feet tall and I was able to go from there. But after I was able to scale the heights in relation to the game, I found that at about 165 feet is where a character can fall and still survive. And around 170 feet is where someone will die. I also found an interesting thing where the amount of max health points I had was irrelevant to the damage taken. I learned this when I got bored of walking to my dead body so I did the resurrection from the grave angel. Apparently, at the same height of 165 feet, my character survived the fall and at 170 feet, my character died. So it is possible for fall damage to go off a percent health damage when falling. So now I know what height I should be flying at and not kill myself again lol. Hope this was interesting, I certainly had fun doing this little experiment!
    +1 for that inquisitive mind of yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Allybeboba View Post
    Druids and panda take less falling damage. Or should I say VanDamage.
    Sub Rogues take literally no damage though, any height, it's great. Going to miss that a whole lot when we get rid of the Artifacts...

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like how the OP measure the gravity as meter/second^2 (international system) and then use feets for the rest of his height calculation xD

Hey guys, I was flying on my hearthstone steed one day and accidentally hit the dismount key. Well guess what, I died. But this got me thinking, how high am I able to be to survive a fall? I thought this would be a fun little trick that I could show off to my friends so I dug into the topic. Although I had not found anyone who knew about the concept so I decided to find my own.
    I first just flew up in the sky and measured the time it took me to fall. From there I was able to find the gravity of WoW which I got was about 10.6 m/s^2. Now that I know the gravity, I can figure the max height of which I can die. This took some time since I had to estimate and assume certain heights. Also using WoWwiki I based my height scales off of the fact that my race which is a male Blood elf hunter, is 6 feet tall and I was able to go from there. But after I was able to scale the heights in relation to the game, I found that at about 165 feet is where a character can fall and still survive. And around 170 feet is where someone will die. I also found an interesting thing where the amount of max health points I had was irrelevant to the damage taken. I learned this when I got bored of walking to my dead body so I did the resurrection from the grave angel. Apparently, at the same height of 165 feet, my character survived the fall and at 170 feet, my character died. So it is possible for fall damage to go off a percent health damage when falling. So now I know what height I should be flying at and not kill myself again lol. Hope this was interesting, I certainly had fun doing this little experiment!
    It depends on drag force of air. Don't forget, that force, that accelerates your body, isn't just mg (GmM/(R + h)^2 - more precise one) - it's mg - (CSpv^2)/2, where C - drag coefficient, S - cross-sectional area, p - density of air, v - speed. That's why you won't accelerate infinitely - your speed will stabilize at v = SQR(2mg/CSp). That's, why having parachute - is so important thing. But you still can use your cloak, big shoulders and helmet to slow yourself down. Choose transmog wisely.
    Last edited by WowIsDead64; 2017-06-06 at 01:27 PM.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Pretty sure, falling from 2 meters height, with your head first, can kill you, if you're lucky enough (or not lucky, if you want to look at it from a pessimistic pov).

Panda master race.
    Btw the pandaren racial was bugged when it was introduced, it reduced all falling damage by 50% which was applied after you hit the ground. Since you cannot take more than 100% damage, it was reduced to 50%. So no matter the height you fell down, you would lose at max 50% of your health.

Quote Originally Posted by kivutar View Post
    Rogues can fall from any height as long as you can grapplehook yourself to the ground before landing...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimson View Post
    If you're a warrior, you can go to the top of the skybox and fall without dying. The trick is to heroic leap just before the ground. Luckily, Bliz prepared us for this by randomly dropping us onto a rock in Azsuna, so all warriors should be skilled in this art.
    Just to add:

Several classes have ways of negating falling damage.

The less obvious methods:

Rogues can use the grappling hook talent near the ground (and Subtetly Artifact makes them immune)
    Hunters can Disengage to break their fall, so damage will count only from the point you Disengaged. Survival hunters can also Harpoon to a enemy to negate a fall, but this requires you to time it perfectly and have some luck.
    Warriors can Heroic Leap to the ground to negate a fall. Not sure, but I think a well-timed Charge can also save them.
    Paladins can use either Divine Shield or Blessing of Protection (in themselves or others) to make them immune to fall damage (which is physical)

And the obvious methods:
    Priests can use levitate
    Mages have slow fall
    Demon Hunters, obviously, can glide

Engineers can use a goblin glider atteched to ther cloak.
    Everyone can use a consumable goblin glider.
    Toys like emerald winds and the tauren kite can also save you.

Did I forget any other skills that can break a fall?

Quote Originally Posted by Linadra View Post
    Yes, it is percentage based. Also, do note that if you are stationary on your mount in the air, at level where you can still dismount and barely survive, and dismount, then you will survive. However, if you're flying at speed at that level, dismount, then now your momentum will make you fall at an angle forwards, making your fall longer and killing you.
    I never knew that was the case for World of Warcraft falling mechanics.

A Pandaren Rogue is rumored to be able to fall from any height without death to do racial stacked with class.

BUT I've also recently learned that one Rogue Spec's artifact ability makes them just not die from infinite fall damage.

Quote Originally Posted by ceall View Post
    Pretty sure, falling from 2 meters height, with your head first, can kill you, if you're lucky enough (or not lucky, if you want to look at it from a pessimistic pov).
    In real life, the rule is any fall from above your own height can be disastrous.
    Last edited by Thoughtful Trolli; 2017-06-06 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thoughtful Trolli View Post
    In real life, the rule is any fall from above your own height can be disastrous.
    Even shorter falls can cause severe damage or death if you are unlucky. Depends on how you land and into what you land.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by kivutar View Post
    Rogues can fall from any height as long as you can grapplehook yourself to the ground before landing...
    Or just doing nothing if you are sub
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=210146/catlike-reflexes

EDIT: somebody already mentioned it i was just too slow
    Last edited by mmocc0105de390; 2017-06-06 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    As an engineer and a hunter, gravity in Azeroth means nothing to me
    Keeps your feet on the ground, doesn't it?
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven? Behold, now, the terrible vengeance of the Forsaken!

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Just to add:

Several classes have ways of negating falling damage.

The less obvious methods:

Rogues can use the grappling hook talent near the ground (and Subtetly Artifact makes them immune)
    Hunters can Disengage to break their fall, so damage will count only from the point you Disengaged. Survival hunters can also Harpoon to a enemy to negate a fall, but this requires you to time it perfectly and have some luck.
    Warriors can Heroic Leap to the ground to negate a fall. Not sure, but I think a well-timed Charge can also save them.
    Paladins can use either Divine Shield or Blessing of Protection (in themselves or others) to make them immune to fall damage (which is physical)

And the obvious methods:
    Priests can use levitate
    Mages have slow fall
    Demon Hunters, obviously, can glide

Engineers can use a goblin glider atteched to ther cloak.
    Everyone can use a consumable goblin glider.
    Toys like emerald winds and the tauren kite can also save you.

Druids can Wild charge a target and ferals in general take less falling damage from a passive I believe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you really have to use that fucking obnoxious font and char size? Jesus fucking christ.

Quote Originally Posted by DeicideUH View Post
    Druids have a variety of ways, with their most unique being Flight Form.

10+ Year Old Account
    As an engineering DH.. Your science amuses me.
    Alternatively, as a sub rogue

Quote Originally Posted by huth View Post
    Druids have a variety of ways, with their most unique being Flight Form.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schlosh View Post
    Druids can Wild charge a target and ferals in general take less falling damage from a passive I believe.
    Don't know much about druids. Most of my experience with druids is dying to them in PvP.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathgoose View Post
    IIRC, the Scryers tier in Shat was the perfect height to drop down to the lower level and earn the achievement without dying back when it was first added.
    About fall damage being percentage based... it's been 10 years but I could swear people were killing others by buffing them Fortitude while they jumped down Scryers.

Rumor is if you create a "Fly Like An Eagle" /yell macro while falling to your death you will survive.