Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    To be honest gravitational pulls in WoW could be completely different due to the core of a planet consisting out of titans.
    Possible, but there isn't too much in WoW outside of direct magic that can't be likened to real world physics. Gravity exists (we fall when we jump), and tides rise and fall (we just don't see it in game) as expected for a world already supporting two moons.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakushisai View Post
    Argus was sliced in half by Sargeras and likely is hollow inside, which means it's going to be quite hard for any kind of gravitational effect to happen.
    The size of the planet is more what determines Argus' gravitational pull, not its current state. A large enough asteroid passing by Earth can throw our tides into chaos as well, which is why movies like Armageddon aren't super realistic in their theory that just preventing impact would save us. There's a minimum safe distance that a celestial object has to pass by for us not to care, which is determined by that object's size and the speed at which it travels relative to our own. IF the gravity can affect us through Illidan's portal, the fact that a planet at least as big as our own and there constantly will have varying consequences, as I mentioned in my post above.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am enjoying the attempts to Science a magic portal.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Please please give us cataclysm 2. I'm so excited I'm getting hard down there
    You could say it's affecting your gravitational "pull"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    I am enjoying the attempts to Science a magic portal.
    I mean, it's early on a Wednesday. What else are we going to do? Besides, I'd bet dollars to donuts that the guys at Blizzard geek out on this kind of stuff too. If any of them read this thread, they'll probably laugh maniacally that we're going through the same logic jumps they did before releasing this (they're all Dr. Evil, by the way).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    Especially with the datamined stuff hidden away in 7.2.5 suggesting Un'goro gets flooded, I mean it seems pretty clear where the story is going.
    Wut? Where was this posted? I must've missed that bit of datamining

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    Please please give us cataclysm 2. I'm so excited I'm getting hard down there
    This, so much. Even though I'd be more enthusiastic at a revamp of Azeroth that actually "heals" the cataclysm, the massive flood is also something I would enjoy.

EDIT:

Quote Originally Posted by Byrogan View Post
    It's a map, from a scenario with Magni, but basically it focuses on Silithus, and on the border we can see that Un'goro is flooded. People are arguing it's some kind of a mistake to make the map "lighter" or something, because there was any mention of the event mentioned by Magni or in the concerned quests. So we still don't know much about that.

I am also curious to know this. It didn't turn up in any Google searches.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    Possible, but there isn't too much in WoW outside of direct magic that can't be likened to real world physics. Gravity exists (we fall when we jump), and tides rise and fall (we just don't see it in game) as expected for a world already supporting two moons.
    The size of the planet is more what determines Argus' gravitational pull, not its current state. A large enough asteroid passing by Earth can throw our tides into chaos as well, which is why movies like Armageddon aren't super realistic in their theory that just preventing impact would save us. There's a minimum safe distance that a celestial object has to pass by for us not to care, which is determined by that object's size and the speed at which it travels relative to our own. IF the gravity can affect us through Illidan's portal, the fact that a planet at least as big as our own and there constantly will have varying consequences, as I mentioned in my post above.
    When it comes to gravitational pull, the size of a planet matters extremely little, what matters is the mass of that said planet.

A planet can be the size of the universe, but if it met a planet the size of a pea with greater density, it will be entirely digested by that said pea.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MindCookie View Post
    Damn that's cool as shit, anything to do with the titans is a good time in my books.

Damn that's cool as shit, anything to do with the titans is a good time in my books.
    It is! We don't know if the scenario made it live or not, Magni is supposed to give us a warning, and there is this whole speculation about old gods and their whispers through the dagger artefact. So yeah, it might be Blizzard teasing what's about to happen, or them trolling us. Although this kind of clue reminds me of how WoD was teased before even being announced through a texture file named IronHorde for the Siege of Orgrimmar. Some people were actually investigating on this, and most of us thought they were crazy to see a potential link to the next expansion pack... yet they were completely right haha!

I really hope we have more clues about what's coming after 7.3 with 7.3 on PTR, because if we have to wait for Blizzcon it's gonna be veryyyy long!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MindCookie View Post
    I really hope we have more clues about what's coming after 7.3 with 7.3 on PTR, because if we have to wait for Blizzcon it's gonna be veryyyy long!
    Here's hoping they announce the 7.3 details at gamescom in august.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragothica View Post
    Yet if it is a portal which brought Argus closer to Azeroth, why do we see only Argus in the sky and not the portal
    because the rift is too big and expands very very far.
    you can see it in the cinematic
    [IMG]blob:http://imgur.com/66ce37ad-b399-4f27-90f6-4979cecfcecd[/IMG]

Formerly known as Arafal

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Quote Originally Posted by DesoPL View Post
    I wonder now how we travel to Argus? By Exodar, or simply mages can put portals?
    It will be 6 months long effort of players collecting resources to build up the bridge connecting two worlds. Better start grinding now.

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    lol who cares if its a portal. The one side of the portal is literally right next to Azeroth.
    PLease refer to the transformers movie where Cybertron came through a portal and did not effect earth tides. We can refer to it as the "Portal Effect"

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    yeah, we've seen one other rift before.

i'm just meaning, we don't exactly know how a rift works compared to a portal.
    Certainly it is not clear...

But if you look at the immages that I post above from Guldan cinematic... look like Argus was phisically moved to pop on Azeroth skies, just like the Death Star with the "hyperjump".

Illidan bring Argus to us, is not just opened a portal between Azeroth and Argus, but teleported Argus here. That why I point to the differences between the rift used by guldan (green) and the red one, used by Illidan to show something to Guldan.

So, we are not speaking about portals but about Illidan able to use a Titanic device to manipolated that "astral plane between worlds" made by chaotic and magical power, known as Twisting Nether, to pull a planet into our skies.

So, what happen exacltly?

1) Argus now is closer to Azeroth because the Twisting Nether has been "compressed" (I dont know how to explain this better) and now the distance between the two planets seems to have been canceled [portal]

2) Argus was phisically teleported into Azeroth skies (like Death Star hyperjump) [teleportal]
    Argus in 2018 My prediction failed in part... But I'm still a Spacegoat

Quote Originally Posted by Tartys View Post
    Certainly it is not clear...

But if you look at the immages that I post above from Guldan cinematic... look like Argus was phisically moved to pop on Azeroth skies, just like the Death Star with the "hyperjump".

Illidan bring Argus to us, is not just opened a portal between Azeroth and Argus, but teleported Argus here. That why I point to the differences between the rift used by guldan (green) and the red one, used by Illidan to show something to Guldan.

So, we are not speaking about portals but about Illidan able to use a Titanic device to manipolated that "astral plane between worlds" made by chaotic and magical power, known as Twisting Nether, to pull a planet into our skies.

So, what happen exacltly?

1) Argus now is closer to Azeroth because the Twisting Nether has been "compressed" (I dont know how to explain this better) and now the distance between the two planets seems to have been canceled [portal]

2) Argus was phisically teleported into Azeroth skies (like Death Star hyperjump) [teleportal]
    well, it's not teleported. the rim of the rift is visible.

if this rift works like a wormhole, compressed is basically how you would describe what happened. basically, you draw two dots on two ends of a piece of paper. then, you bend that paper so that the dots are right beside each other. that's essentially how a wormhole works.

assuming this rift doesn't work like a portal, you would simply step through it and be in the space near argus. if this rift does work like a portal, then you would step into the portal and be teleported near argus.

considering that khadgar was now physically close enough to azeroth to be able to teleport us on his own power to it, i would assume that rift works like the wormhole, and if that is the case, argus should have a gravitational effect on azeroth, because there's nothing stopping gravitational waves from coming through it, since it's literally a simple fold in the fabric of the universe.

now, do i think blizz would ever even remotely consider that kind of thing? no, not at all. this expansion premise isn't going to happen at all. but it is cool to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by OIS View Post
    So, what's the difference between many smaller portals versus one giant portal? What makes you say that nothing will happen to the world because of that portal with such confidence? Why do you think Azeroth can hold the energy?
    Because it was depicted as a unique event in Outland. Ner'zhul didn't summon smaller, regular portals. It's depicted that he summoned portals like the one to Argus (or, at least, the Dark Portal) to many other worlds. Because of his actions, huge earthquakes, tidal waves, and volcanic eruptions happened on Draenor, which ripped it apart.

Not only that, but Azeroth is considered much larger and more magical because of the world-soul inside of it. Draenor was barely able to withstand the Sporemounds eons ago without the assistance of Aggramar. Azeroth has been through about 3 Sunderings, 3 Legion invasions, and several huge dimensional portals at once before in the War of the Ancients. Even right now, it has the Dark Portal, the Felstorm, and the Argus portal open at once - there aren't any story arcs (yet) to reveal that it can't handle all of that.
    3 hints to surviving MMO-C forums:
    1.) If you have an opinion, someone will say that it is wrong
    2.) If you have a source, there will be people who refuse to believe it
    3.) If you use logic, it will be largely ignored
    btw: Spires of Arak = Arakkoa.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildberry View Post
    An Azshara expansion will be garbage regardless; however, an Azshara expansion where the segue is tide shenanigans and sea level changes would almost be guaranteed to feature an underwater zone.

I'm not opposed to a revamp. I just don't want tide-ravaged coasts and more natural disasters shaping Azeroth. I'd prefer to see the older zones healed from those awful Cataclysm changes.
    You heal the cracks by making them rivers, duh ;p

Another revamp would be interesting though at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    PLease refer to the transformers movie where Cybertron came through a portal and did not effect earth tides. We can refer to it as the "Portal Effect"
    I wouldn't quite use transformers as a source, if it's not an explosion, then it doesn't matter.

Also, different universes, and it's magic for WoW, and super advanced tech for Transformers. Not unreasonable for it to be handled differently.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2017-06-21 at 05:35 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    If Blizzard HONESTLY spins the story of the world flooding because of a portal to Argus "technically" making Argus too close to Azeroth...

...well honestly that would be a different storytelling approach as opposed to "big bad villain finds powerful weapon and floods the planet"