Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Don't even watch the show. Just happy some dudes will get mad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Bloody can't wait for her to come as the doctor.

Also a male companion maybe?

Deleted
    I'm so happy that there's a woman lead. It's important for us nerds, and I'll sure be telling all my friends to start watching it.
    What's the show about anyway? Does she work at a hospital or something?.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I can tell you one thing: They need to NAIL her premiere. Because a LOT of people are going to tune in to watch the first episode... If they don't knock it right out of the park people will switch off in droves.
    Yeah, they really need to do an absolutely fantastic premiere :/

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Also - as I said in another thread - does this give us men the right to act like the fangirls did with David Tennant? ;P
    I hope so

Quote Originally Posted by ThanksForTheMemories View Post
    Disgusting.
    You or the show?

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAmbient View Post
    I can't believe people are actually mad about this. I mean for fucks sake.
    In the context of a person's taste for a TV show that has been a part of their lives for 50 years, destroying said TV show is pretty significant.

In the context of the whole world - it is insignificant.

Hint - we are in a Doctor Who thread, guess which one applies.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

I can't believe people are actually mad about this. I mean for fucks sake.
    I'm not mad about it going to a woman, I'm mad people will be ok with sitting through 10 episodes of preachy progressive leftist bullshit and be fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    You or the show?
    HAHAHAHAH GOOD ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Also a male companion maybe?
    Been male companions through out the years.

However - making a male character a female, that's pretty much fucked the show.

The main character's ENTIRE history is as an eccentric grandfather figure. David Tennant was the closest we got to killing that idea - but now it falls over the edge.

You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yup, she was the mother from Broadchurch.

Got to say... I'm disappointed. I'm not a fan of her acting, she was decent in Broadchurch, but she's NOT a lead. There were a number of people who were far better picks to play the Doctor than her.

I can tell you one thing: They need to NAIL her premiere. Because a LOT of people are going to tune in to watch the first episode... If they don't knock it right out of the park people will switch off in droves.
    For sure can expect a lot of diehard Whovians who will be watching this episode like a hawk and if it does not pan out can expect a lot of rioting in the streets so to speak..

But in all honesty I am surprised it took them this long to have a female doctor and well I was secretly hoping that the next Doctor would be female.. And well my wish was granted..
    Last edited by grexly75; 2017-07-16 at 04:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    LoL, some of the reactions are priceless:

*during the Capaldi reveal*
    Hardcore Tennant/Smith fans: OMG! He's old! and UGLY! HE can't be the Doctor, it's WRONG!!
    Other Fans: He's a solid actor, he should be good.

*During the Whittaker reveal*
    Other fans: Oh no, she was kinda whiney in Broadchurch, hope she's better in this
    Hardcore Tennant/Smith fans: OMG, don't be so sexist, you can't pre judge her just because she's a woman! Check your priviledge bigot!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    In the context of a person's taste for a TV show that has been a part of their lives for 50 years, destroying said TV show is pretty significant.

In the context of the whole world - it is insignificant.

Hint - we are in a Doctor Who thread, guess which one applies.
    Don't be so needlessly condescending. "Destroying said TV show"? Add melodramatic to the list.

Been male companions through out the years.

However - making a male character a female, that's pretty much fucked the show.

The main character's ENTIRE history is as an eccentric grandfather figure. David Tennant was the closest we got to killing that idea - but now it falls over the edge.
    IMO, the show was already fuck by Capaldi. So why not go down this rabbit hole.

If she has a female companion I bet a lot of people will feel uncomfortable.

maybe she will be able to give birth to half time lord babies and fix the extinction problem

Don't be so needlessly condescending. "Destroying said TV show"? Add melodramatic to the list.
    Wasn't needlessly, obviously people didn't get the context of a Doctor Who post in a Doctor who forum - simple matter of enlightening that person.

Well - Destroying is a bit light, butchering it and burying it more accurate.

Imagine if we got to Kil'Jaden in WoW and he was a gnome ....
    Or Lord of the Rings made Gandalf a horse in the movies...
    Or Game of Thrones made Hodor a little girl.

You can't just uproot the core of a TV show that is 50+ years old without destroying it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    IMO, the show was already fuck by Capaldi.
    Reality disagrees with you...

Not sure it will do so great - I feel BBC might be under appreciating how much of the shows audience are Doctor fangirls/fangays. Hopefully they can have some great stories to keep people from leaving.

Pretty much my thoughts on this. I really thought Capaldi was a little back to form of what the Doctor should be like. Obviously not his Clara series where he was a janitor (wtf) but this latest series with him and Bill having a real teacher/student authority-respect relationship between them was great.

Hope she's good anyway. Everyone's inevitably going to end up beiing called a misogynist/sexist etc for criticising her performance if she's shit.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

LoL, some of the reactions are priceless:
    Yeah - but there is a fundamental difference, the Doctor at his core is an eccentric grandfather figure. That is, the show depends on that core, with other things around varying. Remove the core of anything, and what you have left is nothing.

Reality disagrees with you...
    Maybe, but it's still my opinion. So deal with it.

Wasn't needlessly, obviously people didn't get the context of a Doctor Who post in a Doctor who forum - simple matter of enlightening that person.

Well - Destroying is a bit light, butchering it and burying it more accurate.

Imagine if we got to Kil'Jaden in WoW and he was a gnome ....
    Or Lord of the Rings made Gandalf a horse in the movies...
    Or Game of Thrones made Hodor a little girl.

You can't just uproot the core of a TV show that is 50+ years old without destroying it.
    There you go again. What makes you think I didn't understand the context of this thread? I'll reiterate: people actually getting mad that a time traveling alien will now be portrayed as a woman instead of a man need to go and have a look at themselves.

Don't be so needlessly condescending.
    Try taking your own advice.

As someone else said, the Doctor has always been a surrogate grandfather/father/older brother figure. Now that's gone. Some people might be upset with that.

And even Peter Davison said he didn't think it was a good idea. Not because "OMG wominz!!!!!!!1", but because the show has built up a premise (especially lately) of the Doctor being more vulnerable and sensitive, while the female companion is strong and solid. Now reverse those roles. The first time she gets upset to the point of tears about something, the male side of the idiot fringe is going to come out full-force with the period/hormone jokes, while the female side will be just as strong with the "can't write a woman as anything but a weeping, weak little girl, waiting for the men to come rescue her" refrain.
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!