Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    Wasn't that in a virtual reality?
    No, it was right at the beginning of the final arc, with the space ship at the event horizon of the black hole.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thats exactly what will happen.

If they were going to do a female Doctor they should have gone with someone older. The perfect female Doctor is Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from the Harry Potter movies).

I'm very satisfied with Jodie Whittaker being cast as the new doctor, she was good in Broadchurch. I wasn't expecting the BBC to go for a female doctor, even though the rumours were strong but I'm more than happy to give it a go, especially since the field has been prepared already by Michelle Gomez as Missy, who was absolutely amazing, and since it has been stated that gender isn't so important to Timelords when they regenerate. I'm waiting to see how this will go, but I'm quite optimistic. Good luck to Jodie, especially with all those haters, let's hope 13 will be a lucky number.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post

If they were going to do a female Doctor they should have gone with someone older. The perfect female Doctor is Maggie Smith (Professor McGonagall from the Harry Potter movies).
    Maggie Smith is too big

I personally hoped Olivier Coleman

- - - Updated - - -

Honestly I think a lot of the online community need to get a grip. It's already embarrassing enough that the online community has become a parody of itself

7+ Year Old Account
    as someone who has been a huge fan of this show for 30 years. this will be jarring. the whole dynamic of the show is going to change in a major way as will the way teh doctor interacts with others. this is due to teh fact that men and women are wired differently. they are night and day in the way they think and feel. the doctor has always been a man. i like women and i feel they are capable as anyone. but to change a beloved figure after 50 some odd years is jarring. i understand that the feminists are having a great time of it now and that is all well and good. were allowed to be upset. if we changed a beloved and well established female lead to a male after sooooo many years, there would be rioting in th streets and men would be libeled as bigots and every thing else under teh sun. yes were upset about this change. its ok for us to be upset. let us digest it. 50 years of teh same thing weve gotten used to it. its like being told airwill be changed to someting else and yo uhave to learn how to deal with it now. it takes time and is upsetting. personally i think it sucks. i will miss my doctor. i hope he will return one day. ill give this a try and apprach it with as open a mind as i can. but that approach will honestly be tainted by my disapointment. im human its how we work.

diatribe over.
    “Listen, three eyes,” he said, “don’t you try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.”

Quote Originally Posted by konteil View Post
    this is due to teh fact that men and women are wired differently.
    Human men and women are wired differently.

The Doctor is not Human.

As long as the episodes are well written and the on-line community/social media keeps a grip on itself I'm really looking forward to how this Doctor turns-out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by konteil View Post

diatribe over.
    Diatribe is a fucking understatement. Learn to spell, write and god I don't know l2fucking english.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by cyberglum View Post
    As long as the episodes are well written and the on-line community/social media keeps a grip on itself I'm really looking forward to how this Doctor turns-out.
    ^^^ This is what any fan should be saying, not "omfg woman doctor fuck this shit I'm out" like is smeared all over the doctor who facebook page comment sections.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love this just to read the sun /dailymail comments.

Like seriously, i bet half of these people couldn't even name a single episode of doctor who let alone have an opinion on what's good for the show :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Feminist Frequency (Anita Sarkeesian) already complaining that the show is still too white and terrible because the doctor isn't a black tranny.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/886653343493312512

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Feminist Frequency (Anita Sarkeesian) already complaining that the show is still too white and terrible because the doctor isn't a black tranny.

https://twitter.com/femfreq/status/886653343493312512
    Whilst simultaneously ignoring the current black lesbian companion. You'll NEVER satisfy people like Mcintosh and his little puppet and ilk. NEVER. EVER.

Quote Originally Posted by Spaceboytg View Post
    So basically

Whilst only being a slight notch above a paint comic.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Human men and women are wired differently.
    The Doctor is not Human.
    you sure? cause since always he (the doctor) has been a WHITE human look a like...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post

I really don't see this.

Age of actors when they took the role of Doctor Who:

Hartnell - 55
    Troughton - 46
    Pertwee - 50
    Baker - 40
    Davison - 29
    Baker - 40
    McCoy - 44
    McGann - 36
    Eccleston - 41
    Tennant - 34
    Smith - 27
    Capaldi - 55
    Whittaker - 35

Whittaker's SLIGHTLY on the younger side, if you include the older series, but in the newer series sparked off by Eccleston, she's right in the middle, age-wise. Capaldi's an outlier, not the standard. For the most part, the actors have been mid-30s to mid-40s, and Whittaker's 35, so she fits that profile.

Deleted
    Yes, I think that Maggie Smith, at 82, would really have to work some miracles to pull off the usual kind of energy we expect from the Doctor. However, I can't express how stupendously amazing it would be to have her in a single or two-part episode. Maybe put her in a christmas special. She is a particularly wonderful lady.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, she's too old to be the Doctor... But she's make an AMAZING Timelord. Just have her show up, be awesome for an episode, take NO shit from anyone then vanish like a boss.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    you sure? cause since always he (the doctor) has been a WHITE human look a like...
    Pretty sure humans don't have two hearts and can't regenerate when they get killed...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    Maggie Smith is too big
    Yeah, I read somewhere that fan speculation was unrealistic: the pool of potential actors willing to take on the role was not so great, most well known actors would not be willing to spend whole years in Wales filming - they would have movie or theatre commitments lined up. The pay seems modest (Capaldi gets £250,000 a year) given the massive profile of the role. Dr Who actors tend to be talented character actors rather than bona fide stars. Even Eccleston might have been a little too big, hence him leaving after only a year.

I'm really curious how Chibnall and Whitakker will take the role; it's quite challenging and unpredictable. There are not many female Dr Who type roles out there to draw on - women tend to be portrayed as followers, rather than leaders, unless they are femme fatales or headmistress types, neither of which would be good fit for Dr Who or Whitakker. Given the ratings slump Capaldi left the series in (unjust, as I thought the season with Bill was good - I really liked Bill), it makes sense that the BBC are taking a risk. If Whitakker can give us a female Dr Who is a good as Bill was a female companion, I'll be happy. But how she will pull it off, will be interesting to see.