Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It's true, though we also put people in mental hospitals for other issues. Regardless, mental health issues have become looked at as some huge stigma and either 1) people don't want to seek help because they think they're fine or 2) people can't get the help they need because of cost involved.

We need to look into fighting the stigma against mental illness and pushing for positive healthcare changes that allow for easier and more affordable access to mental healthcare providers.
    And this will take decades. A friend of mine couldn't/ wouldn't leave the house, like really live in her f-cking room for month and her family thought she was FINE. She thought she was FINE. She has gotten help by now and it's all good, but we have this universal problem in Europe too: That people don't want to admit that something is wrong with their loved ones.

Maybe this time you will have a breakthrough and it will be talked about, but I fear that the NRA, as revolting as they can be, will get all the spotlight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    Hes absolutely using either a 240B or an M249, that's a pretty unforgettable sound, you can tell its belt-fed by the speed its shooting.
    "Absolutely" is a bit of a strict word. It sort of implies 100%. Given that the ammo he was using fits neither of those weapons... And the speed of shooting has nothing to do with having to be belt fed (it could be an auto-bumper or modded, with a large magazine)

I'm not saying its not, but it's probably not. They've already confirmed it was a modded automatic.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Swiss have plenty of guns per household but they don't have mass shooting because their healthcare system is top notch.

America pre 1970s actually had a strong healthcare system and having a gun in the household was the norm in 1950s America.

Bottom line is if healthcare isn't addressed guns will be taken away.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    meh i can take down multiple intruders in seconds, its called practice. you would be surprised how quick things can change. i get what you're saying, in the long run if no guns were ever present it would be a better thing, however, with today's technology a man like this could have easily fabricated weapons himself. im certain i can do it and im nothing special.
    Careful with all that edge.

I've done martial arts on elite level and even I wouldn't say something like that with that level of certainty; not even if I had the element of surprise. Guns or not.

All it takes is playing one shooter to realize that any number of things will give your position away at any time, or fuck up. These are people who are a hell of a lot more practiced in the arts of violent psychotic behavior. That's why they're criminals. They're also entering with the mindset of "i might have to fuck someone up today" from the get-go.

[/fedora]

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaelleria View Post
    Unfortunately the CDC can't get funding to study gun violence due to the Dickey Ammendment.
    http://www.newsweek.com/government-w...obbying-675794
    Now I wonder who and why they did that? It must of been because "both sides" are equally bad I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Dextroden View Post
    Oh god. I'm not on board for it to be easy to get a silencer but fuck her dumb ass. Does she think they make bullets silent? Oh wait, no. She just wanted to get a jab at the NRA because that's important.
    She's not entirely wrong though. Sure they don't make them silent, but they DO reduce the decibel level of a gun shot which would make it more difficult to hear, especially in this specific scenario where the people were at a concert with high volume levels already.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    She's not entirely wrong though. Sure they don't make them silent, but they DO reduce the decibel level of a gun shot which would make it more difficult to hear, especially in this specific scenario where the people were at a concert with high volume levels already.
    Shhhhh, your words are making one of our resident "woke independents" are making him go back to sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Vertigo X View Post
    A mass shooting is classified as any shooting with 3 or more victims. It has nothing to do with the type of gun used.
    3 or more victims not directly related to the shooter isn't it?

I'm pretty sure part of the definition is that they can't be a "clump". That way gang related violence is excluded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bullettime View Post
    It also would have just escalated. What would have happened in that large crowd of panicking people that couldn't identify the location of the shooter if suddenly even 10 people drew firearms? No one would have seen any shooters but them and it would have turned into fucking chaos. Innocent people getting shot in the crowd by others, bullets being fired into the hotel, etc.
    we have already established this was not a fight situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Let's leave that up to mental health experts and the findings of a robust public study by the CDC and our medical schools to determine the points of inflection.
    Even if we could assume that these people involved would be completely unbiased in the conclusions, it requires the court to remove someone's rights. Due process is everyone's right along with their second amendment right. The Court can adjudicate that someone is mentally incompetent to own a firearm - not some bureaucrat.

Warchief
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    "Absolutely" is a bit of a strict word. It sort of implies 100%. Given that the ammo he was using fits neither of those weapons... And the speed of shooting has nothing to do with having to be belt fed (it could be an auto-bumper or modded, with a large magazine)

I'm not saying its not, but it's probably not. They've already confirmed it was a modded automatic.
    What was the ammunition? 240B is .762 and M249 is .223, what the hell was he shooting?

Quote Originally Posted by Protean View Post
    3 or more victims not directly related to the shooter isn't it?

I'm pretty sure part of the definition is that they can't be a "clump". That way gang related violence is excluded.
    I guess there's not a completely agreed upon definition now that I've been reading. The magic number is 3-4. Some include relation and others don't. Guess it just depends what your agenda is

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Packers01 View Post
    The onion is on fire.

http://www.theonion.com/blogpost/sho...ocialMarketing

This Shooting Isn’t About Gun Control We Refuse To Pass, It’s About Access To Mental Health Care We’re Continuing To Gut
    That is amazing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazyyrogue View Post
    What was the ammunition? 240B is .762 and M249 is .223, what the hell was he shooting?
    240b is 7.62... M249 is 5.56..

He was using .308 and .223. These are not interchangeable with those weapons, even though they can usually fit in the same chambering.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thwart View Post
    Even if we could assume that these people involved would be completely unbiased in the conclusions, it requires the court to remove someone's rights. Due process is everyone's right along with their second amendment right. The Court can adjudicate that someone is mentally incompetent to own a firearm - not some bureaucrat.
    Ok, create a new court system that specializes in determining mental competency for firearm ownership that coordinates with the CDC and our medical/psychological institutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Schattenlied View Post
    and the point is, more laws wouldn't have changed anything.
    Less guns in the nation may have changed it more than pretending that more guns solves anything. But as I said, these shootings is what you want. And you got it. Congrats! I'd like to see the stat for popcorn consumption of today. And the ratings of CNN.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Daelak View Post
    Now I wonder who and why they did that? It must of been because "both sides" are equally bad I guess.
    A light read of that article and what the amendment says shows that there's nothing technically preventing the research from happening, it just says the money can't be used to advocate or support gun control.

The fact that no research has been done using this money, citing this amendment as a reason, really just kind of illustrates that everyone thinks that any research performed will end up with results that unequivocally support a stance that advocated for gun control.

Whether that's 100% accurate or not will likely remain unknown, but doesn't it seem fishy that basically the only reason the research isn't being done (using that money specifically) is because we already have a good idea where that will lead?

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Really? A thread about another mass shooting and gun debates are "off topic"? I mean, at what point do the guns themselves, and our policy surrounding firearms, become a relevant in a discussion of our repeated mass shootings?
    The point he's making... excuse me for translating "This event is a really bad example of my opinion, so let's not talk about it, because it shows how wrong I am."
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    You are being obtuse on purpose although you can make cases of standards the very obvious psychiatric disorders would be caught. The goal is not to stop 100% of all bad things but to put as many obstacles as possible.
    I'm not being obtuse. There are thousands of people that live normal everyday lives that if examined would be found to have sociopathic personalities or other "obvious psychiatric disorders" . These people are not breaking any laws, they are no danger to anyone, they have the same rights as each and everyone one of us. Due process is required to remove any single person's Rights. Removing one's Rights is an individual decision that must be made by a Court not by a medical diagnosis.

The only general categories of people that have rights removed are those that have been proven by their actions - not a medical diagnosis. These are groups such as felons, unlawful users of controlled substances, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Silencers should be available for hunters who hunt with dogs. It is a huge quality of life issue for dogs.
    Sarcasm?

/10char