Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Careful, you mention Highmountain/Lightforged as customization options and both sides jump on you. One for how Highmountain is a different breed and have been since the War of the Ancients, and one for how Ion said Lightforged would never be a character customization option.

By the by, why has nobody suggested that Lightforged is something that becomes available not as a sub-race but as an option for ALL Paladins? Like how Warlocks got Green Fire?
    If you are quoting Ion from the interview I think you are... I recall he essentially said "Maybe later", not "Never".

Quote Originally Posted by Snorlax View Post
    This too. People acting like Ogres or Taunka or whatever would drive more hype when they haven't been relevant in years is kidding themselves.

Hell in the case of Ogres anyone who got into Warcraft with WoW would shit themselves laughing at playable Ogres.
    Haven't been relevant in years? The whole beginning of WoD was about Ogres and Orcs. Additionally, I don't think you give people enough credit. You seem to think that everyone who plays Legion is really fresh to the game when in reality a large portion of the playerbase has probably been here for multiple expansions.

Quote Originally Posted by EbaumsTipster View Post
    From older fans, sure. I doubt a significant chunk of Wow's current playerbase knows what a Taunka is now, hence why Highmountain Tauren would be a safer pick.
    Plus the female taunka are literally just copies of female tauren, so they would have had to create a new concept for them. Female HMT have unique skins and horns already.

I mean I'm gonna turn my own frequent argument for adding Nightborne against this here.

There's really no argument in favor of any of these except for Silgryn and Liadrin's conversation. Which, let's be honest, I don't think many of us paid attention to until Blizzard Watch ran an article comparing it to the Aponi Brightmane quest. (Hell, I didn't even realize it existed until then.)

Void Elves simply cannot exist without a whole lot of time to train them, and Alleria would have to do something to convince Locus-Walker her entire race is worthy of this teaching.

Lightforged exist just as Draenei, there's really no need to call this a Sub-Race. Plus, even though a lot of sub-race fanatics wrote it off as smokescreen, Ion DID cast severe doubt on them just a week or two ago.

And Highmountain, the only thing they have going for them is they're Tauren.... who are friendly to the Horde. Problem is, they're also friendly to the Alliance, and at the end of the day the only difference is Moose Horns.
    None of these are really arguments against them though. They're pre-concieved notions about how Blizzard will handle subraces and what constitutes a subrace.

So for Nightborne, all we *need* is the Silgryn conversation really. The fact that it exists, and is voiced, and that Silgryn is interacting with Liadrin at all is interesting, and required more effort than they really needed to put in unless they had something else planned for this. Especially considering it isn't really relevant to Argus at all. As has been said at other points in the thread, Silgryn is Silgryn, not Thalyssra or any of the other big 3. If Silgryn convinces a decent number of Nightborne that they should throw their lot in with the Horde, what's stopping them? Silgryn would be the leader of the Horde Nightborne, and that's all that'd need to be said. Were you around for pre-Cataclysm discussion about how there's no way they'd have non-neutral Goblins? All we really needed was a smaller set of Goblins from a different banner deciding to side with the Horde, and that's what happened. This conversation is important, and I don't think it makes sense to ignore it when it follows trends from the past that lead to things.

As for Void Elves, time is functionally irrelevant in a game like this. If Blizzard needs X amount of time for Alleria to train a nominal number of High Elves in Void-magic, that's how much time its going to take. And if Alleria is the only High Elf Locus Walker has interacted with to this level, maybe he'll find the rest of her race worth training too. It's hard to say, but for something like this I try never to speak in definites when it comes to how much of X is needed for Y and how feasible X thing is.

Ion clearly classifies them as seperate from normal Draenei, though I'd be happy to see what else he's said on the matter. If it's the interview I'm thinking of, that was definitely a deflection and a "Who knows what we'll do?" I don't tend to believe anything Blizzard says until a thing happens as fact though. Prior to MoP they tried to deflect the Mists of Pandaria trademarks too.

For the HMT, it's a matter of them being a viable option. Are they incredibly exciting? Mileage may vary. They may not even get anywhere and may be testing them as one. We can't say for sure, but to say all of this definitely means nothing doesn't seem right.

See that's your mistake. You act like calling a post a post is trolling. You said some sexist shit. Doesn't mean we disagree on everything. Life isn't black and white it's shades of gray.

But yes WoD proved that they can sell anything and they don't need a huge feature to do so. Acting like subraces aren't enough of a feature like some people are doing up in this piece is frustrating because quite frankly it's moronic to think Blizzard needs a gimmick to sell product.
    And what was sexist about his post?

@Marlamin - Was going through my history and stumbled upon this. Good times.

https://twitter.com/Marlamin/status/398881830113259520

7+ Year Old Account
    This too. People acting like Ogres or Taunka or whatever would drive more hype when they haven't been relevant in years is kidding themselves.

Hell in the case of Ogres anyone who got into Warcraft with WoW would shit themselves laughing at playable Ogres.
    ogres>>> void elf bullshit

The Ion interview simply put that Lightforged Draenei were a "new ecology" of Draenei, not that they would never be used in customization. In fact the term "new ecology" sounds like rhetoric used to imply that they'd be a """""new""""" race as opposed to just additional options on the Exodar Draenei creation screen.

The Ion interview simply put that Lightforged Draenei were a "new ecology" of Draenei, not that they would never be used in customization. In fact the term "new ecology" sounds like rhetoric used to imply that they'd be a """""new""""" race as opposed to just additional options on the Exodar Draenei creation screen.
    Still doesn't sound like he flat out said they would "never" happen like others seem to be implying.

Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Why the fuck would anyone want MORE Elves? It's so insanely boring.
    yea. let's have more pandaren, goblins, and gnomes that no one plays to satisfy the gaming hipsters

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Taunka no.

Any kind of cow, no.

Ogres yes.

Yet more shades of elf, no.

Naga, yes.

Golden Eyed Draenei, no.

Tortollan, yes.

Nightborne, maybe.

Saurok, yes.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by NovaFirefall View Post
    Still doesn't sound like he flat out said they would "never" happen like others seem to be implying.
    Honestly I think people are projecting expectations or wants on his words. Granted, I'm in favor of subraces, but Ion definitely did not say they would never be a thing.

Taunka no.

Any kind of cow, no.

Ogres yes.

Yet more shades of elf, no.

Naga, yes.

Golden Eyed Draenei, no.

Tortollan, yes.

Nightborne, maybe.

Saurok, yes.

If I may use this as an example I think this proves that point. Draenei and Blood Elves (and also Night Elves) are some of the most popular races in the game. It makes sense to have subraces for those options even if you have to make them up just prior to adding them. "Yet more elves" may not be popular here, but in general they would sell the expansion because elves are just popular choices. I'm a huge, huge fucking Troll fan. But I'm not fool enough to believe its more likely Trolls will get subraces than Elves or Draenei given that we have technical options for both.

And being able to play essentially the alternate faction's elf race in a way that actually makes sense without breaking down established faction barriers makes sense from a marketing perspective.
    Last edited by Darkhallows; 2017-10-23 at 02:57 AM.

Just make Titans playable while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhallows View Post
    Honestly I think people are projecting expectations or wants on his words. Granted, I'm in favor of subraces, but Ion definitely did not say they would never be a thing.
    I don't mind people having their own personal preference, but when people try to embellish the truth to support their hope that something absolutely WILL NOT happen... It irks me. That is all.

From older fans, sure. I doubt a significant chunk of Wow's current playerbase knows what a Taunka is now, hence why Highmountain Tauren would be a safer pick.
    That is what I find particularly curious, every single race we know of so far was introduced in legion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bryroo View Post
    yea. let's have more pandaren, goblins, and gnomes that no one plays to satisfy the gaming hipsters
    just because you are boring and only play with the pretty elves did not mean other people dont play other races

Two elf races are why I think the four leaked ones are legit: high elves for alliance are ridiculously popular, as are elves in general.

Lightforged Draenei were requested enough for Ion to comment on them (and say they have a "unique culture") while HM Tauren just make sense.

Implying that being feminine makes something lesser.
    In terms of Blood Elf males, it most certainly does.

Blood Elves in art look fucking badass. But here, we have Mail box dancers. I don't see how that's sexist.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why not all of the above?
    Hell if they did all of the above I'd be game.

As long as they do SOMETHING new and it's not just all Sub-Races I'm okay with this.

But no leak has suggested that, only suggesting Sub-Races. Only four, by the way. Hence my signature.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Directionalk9 View Post
    I’d pay for my Blood Elf to become Nightborne, the only good Elves, speculating to go to the only good faction.