Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    oh joy, another lord of the rings rip off.

I'm sorry but thats how the early warcraft story felt, it was just good humans vs bad orcs, and for me, the story didn't get compelling until wc3 where the writers did something different.

Frankly, this is disappointing. I thought the lore around WC3 far more interesting, because it was varied and different. In that you have examples of good and bad humans and good and bad orcs, and it made for better characters then the black and white good vs evil crap.
    Last edited by Trassk; 2013-07-31 at 04:23 PM.
    #boycottchina

I'd be totally okay with a movie focusing on Khadgar and the Alliance in a Warcraft 1/2 setting.

10+ Year Old Account
    You people are forgetting that the movie is supposed to be for the Non Warcraft fans too not only for the fans... so I think it's good that they start at the beginning of the story instead of Arthas or Illidan or w/e ... As long as they make more movies/start a HBO series I don't care... gief moar warcraft !!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratyrel View Post
    You may be right, but for me personally this news is rather less thrilling than the announcement of a new script would have been.
    Let's wait, then. I don't have very high hopes for this, but if it turns out to be good I'll be very pleasantly surprised.
    Nothing ever bothers Juular.

Hell no, they couldn't have picked a worst part to do a movie about.

A story revolving around Khadgar and Medivh will most likely be based on the book, or something close to that. That was a shitty, generic humans vs some kind of ugly monsters fantasy crap(and they are named orcs, would you look at that?), with the most cliche implementation of "magic" possible. But the main problem is, from the looks of it, this looks like a personal story.

A warcraft movie is a great opportunity to introduce the universe to a non-gamer crowd, or even Warcraft players who were never interested in the lore or characters before. Long story short, the scale needed to be much, much bigger. Viewers needed to see that this tale is not just the "same old shit" - awesome humans against orcs and stuff -; and in order to do that, they need to be attracted to the scale and potential depth of this setting first.

Aside from the "same old shit", there are many attractive, unusual civilizations on Azeroth. Their interactions and clashes with each other, the conflict between technology, magic and shitty medieval lifestyle that the players of World of Warcraft often experience. Now that is interesting, that is a little bit closer to something fresh and attractive. Decorate it with a few well-placed battle scenes that fit the extremely grand scale of Warcraft combat, you got a movie on your hands.

It's unrealistic to expect that much in a movie merely meant to introduce and entertain, but I will say it again, that generic crap is not a valid choice for introduction.
    Last edited by madokbro; 2013-07-31 at 04:28 PM.

So, they're making a film version of Warcraft 2 and The Last Guardian? That might actually be nice in and of itself, but that storyline is ancient by now, which may lead to a very unexciting viewing process.
    If they did a warcraft 3 aftermath movie or WoW movie then the adaption curse would strike. This choice allows the movie to be a standalone production and not every WoW player will know the plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

I can picture the movie starting with Medivh opening the dark portal with a mad look in his eyes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sathric View Post
    I can picture the movie starting with Medivh opening the dark portal with a mad look in his eyes.
    I could picture it ending that way... starting no, that would be a huge spoiler for the rest of the movie...

Quote Originally Posted by Sathric View Post

Definitely ending that way.

I thought neither Orcs nor humans discovered Kalimdor until WC3? And if the Comicon trailer is to be taken seriously, they said the setting was Durotar. Is that merely a reference because the creators (of the movie) know it as such?

Conflicting information here. Color me confused

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    If they did a warcraft 3 aftermath movie or WoW movie then the adaption curse would strike. This choice allows the movie to be a standalone production and not every WoW player will know the plot.
    its also just a sellout to choosing a story for one faction alone. Sorry, but the early warcraft story arch was simply that, bad orcs beaten by good humans and good humans won. It feels like somthing that had to be told by example of showing something better.. but this.. they actually intend to show a full movie of this?

I'm not paying movie to see a movie thats at alliance pick me up, warcraft is far better then that.
    #boycottchina

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    So, they're making a film version of Warcraft 2 and The Last Guardian? That might actually be nice in and of itself, but that storyline is ancient by now, which may lead to a very unexciting viewing process.
    Unexciting? :O

I don't know about you, but I absolutely LOVED the Last Guardian book and would absolutely love seeing it adapted into a movie! It was creepy and very fun to read, I imagine, if done right, it will be the same on the silver screen.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Never cared that much about Khadgar, but I'm glad we'll be seeing some First War/Second War goodness.
    Now you see it. Now you don't.

But was where Dalaran?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Johnny Depp as Medivh? Hah, sure why the feck not...
    At first I kind of weary about this though. His recent strain of roles have been the same character beaten to death, revived, beaten to death once again, then shoved into a blender and made into a Frankenstein abomination; However, his roles in his earlier movies, and random choices such as Finding Neverland make he have a glimmer of hope.

I'm excited about the entire thought though! Even if just rumors it's nice to see it come together. Something also that I appreciate is the fact that it was not shoved out the door and into a script, and rather it has had A LOT of time to be worked on and a lot of nurturing. Legendary Pictures is a great studio and will work very nicely with Blizzard to give us the piece we deserve.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Amerrol View Post
    If this happens then the movie is guarenteed to fail.
    If Lothar is the Rock... I won't be able to take it seriously. At least not his character... Please, Blizzard, don't let that happen! >_<
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Edlarel View Post
    And if the Comicon trailer is to be taken seriously, they said the setting was Durotar.
    I actually read that the sky was green, which wouldn't really be Durotar.

Deleted
    The Last Guardian would make a great movie.

I doubt the validity of that source, though, but it would make a lot of sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    its also just a sellout to choosing a story for one faction alone. Sorry, but the early warcraft story arch was simply that, bad orcs beaten by good humans and good humans won. It feels like somthing that had to be told by example of showing something better.. but this.. they actually intend to show a full movie of this?

I'm not paying movie to see a movie thats at alliance pick me up, warcraft is far better then that.
    You mean bad orcs destroyed everything and beat everyone
    Then the bad orcs turned on themselves and fell apart and the good humans barely won by luck.

I'd rather see something set in the 4 years between WC III and World of Warcraft myself.

10+ Year Old Account
    See, if they did a three movie trilogy, like they did with lord of the rings, making it WC3 1-2-3, and show the development of humans and orcs, I'd back then fully.

But, if the only movie theme there doing, it one set from just the wc1-2 era, and not expanding on it, just making it into a 'humans and elves vs evil orcs', then I can't back it. What made me like warcraft was that it actually took a risk and made the once dark element, the horde, into something else.

Staging it from this angle.. whos going to know that the horde has more interesting appeal then just being a foil for humans?
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm glad that the movie is based on the Warcraft RTS games and not WoW (If this is true anyways).
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA

Deleted

The first few Warcraft games, WC1, WC2 and Beyond the Dark Portal, have the best Alliance moments in them. In all of Warcraft. WoW will continue to be Horde-focused, leave us Alliance fans at least that.

- - - Updated - - -

See, if they did a three movie trilogy, like they did with lord of the rings, making it WC3 1-2-3, and show the development of humans and orcs, I'd back then fully.

But, if the only movie theme there doing, it one set from just the wc1-2 era, and not expanding on it, just making it into a 'humans and elves vs evil orcs', then I can't back it. What made me like warcraft was that it actually took a risk and made the once dark element, the horde, into something else.

Staging it from this angle.. whos going to know that the horde has more interesting appeal then just being a foil for humans?
    Maybe they will, but they can't plan that far ahead. They first have to see if the first movie is a success or not.