Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    So by taking away one of the things that made Western civilisation so successful, you'd save Western civilisation?

I see a slight flaw in your plan.
    If you think "social security nets" is what made the British Empire, Roman Empire, American empire you must be kidding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    I'm not in the mood to get into an argument with someone who is ignorant on the subject matter.

Indefinite sustainability, along with continued social and technological development cannot occur without population decreases. You will be ignored until you stop pulling things out of your rear.
    cute, you've been proven wrong 2 times in this thread and now you're in denial

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jugzilla View Post
    Those "sharp population reductions" would have to occur in China and India mostly. I don't know if they are going to go along with that.
    I thought China had taken steps already, what with the two(?) children per couple law.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Tell you what, I'll start having kids when I can afford it and it won't rape me financially when my SO decides to ditch with the kids I emotionally invest myself in.

Deleted
    If you think "social security nets" is what made the British Empire, Roman Empire, American empire you must be kidding.
    The American empire?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Roman Empire had bread and circuses, the British Empire was at the forefront of social programmes and the American Empire doesn't exist, but they have had numerous social programmes since the end of WWII, when the US became a world power.

One of the things that separates the successful nations from the unsuccessful ones is political stability, and that stability is generally because the peasants aren't in revolt due to being starving.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    The American empire?
    Ave Obama !

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedrenne View Post
    I thought China had taken steps already, what with the two(?) children per couple law.
    It's one children per couple if I remember correctly and it led to catastrophic consequences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vedrenne View Post
    China did not take these steps to preserve Western Civilization, or to protect the environment. And they are going to have major demographic issues, because a lot of Chinese families aborted/killed their girls so the could have 2 sons.

Deleted
    I agree that not having kids is simply not good for our society. Incentives help but there also needs to be a change in mentality.
    The claim that population in western society has to drop in order to achieve sustainability is absurd. It's the current levels of waste and consumptions that are unsustainable.
    Problems of overpopulation are somewhere else and nearly always related on how sources are managed.
    Last edited by mmocea043e1e13; 2014-09-27 at 10:06 AM.

The Internet is a huge part of why western civilization is so shitty now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    The Internet is a huge part of why western civilization is so shitty now.
    Dammit Al Gore.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Roman Empire had bread and circuses, the British Empire was at the forefront of social programmes and the American Empire doesn't exist, but they have had numerous social programmes since the end of WWII, when the US became a world power.

One of the things that separates the successful nations from the unsuccessful ones is political stability, and that stability is generally because the peasants aren't in revolt due to being starving.
    The Roman Empire had bread and circuses when it was DYING. I really don't want to disrespect the UK by saying anything about the British Empire, it would be easy to do, under the theme: Empire Collapsing - More Social spending. But you were right on one count, there is no American Empire.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree that not having kids is simply not good for our society. Incentives help but there also needs to be a change in mentality.
    The claim that population in western society has to drop in order to achieve sustainability is absurd. It's the current levels of waste and consumptions that are unsustainable.
    Problems of overpopulation are somewhere else and nearly always related on how sources are managed.
    Did you get hacked or something? Why am I agreeing with what you say. Maybe I am hacked!!!!! OMG!@!#!!!
    Last edited by jugzilla; 2014-09-27 at 10:12 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Taftvalue View Post
    yeah it's troubling, but what can be done?
    Do we really need an answer to that, it's quite simple. Have more sex guys!

Deleted
    The Roman Empire had bread and circuses when it was DYING. I really don't want to disrespect the UK by saying anything about the British Empire, it would be easy to do, under the theme: Empire Collapsing - More Social spending. But you were e right ne one count, there is no American Empire.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you get hacked or something? Why am I agreeing with what you say. Maybe I am hacked!!!!! OMG!@!#!!!
    Quick window on history of welfare:
    In the*Roman Empire, the first emperor*Augustus*provided the 'congiaria' or grain dole for citizens who could not afford to buy food. Social welfare was enlarged by the Emperor*Trajan.[1]*Trajan's program brought acclaim from many, including*Pliny the Younger.[2]*The*Song dynasty*government (c.1000AD in China) supported multiple programs which could be classified as social welfare, including the establishment of retirement homes, public clinics, and paupers' graveyards. According to Robert Henry Nelson, "The*medieval*Roman Catholic Church*operated a far-reaching and comprehensive welfare system for the poor..."[3][4]

Early Welfare programs in Europe included the*English*Poor Law*of 1601, which gaveparishes*the responsibility for providing welfare payments to the poor.[5]*This system was substantially modified by the 19th-century*Poor Law Amendment Act, which introduced the system of*workhouses.
    I'm full of surprises babe.
    We agree on a few things, if I remember correctly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Roman Empire had bread and circuses when it was DYING. I really don't want to disrespect the UK by saying anything about the British Empire, it would be easy to do, under the theme: Empire Collapsing - More Social spending. But you were e right ne one count, there is no American Empire.
    Bread and circuses was a social plan from Republican days, so technically you are correct in that they had them when the Roman Empire was dying, and also when it was growing and at its height.

The British Empire didn't collapse due to social spending, it collapsed due to a war that bankrupted it, quite a famous war as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoibert View Post
    Do we really need an answer to that, it's quite simple. Have more sex guys!
    I volunteer as tribute

10+ Year Old Account
    Quick window on history of welfare:

I'm full of surprises babe.
    We agree on a few things, if I remember correctly.
    Dude...that avatar pic isn't me, and I don't know who it is in that pic. I'm a gun-toting hillbilly dude. I have a beergut and many in grown hairs. I literally did a search for "girls guns USA" to come up with that avatar, it was supposed to be temporary, but I really like that avatar lol.

Bread and circuses was a social plan from Republican days, so technically you are correct in that they had them when the Roman Empire was dying, and also when it was growing and at its height.

The British Empire didn't collapse due to social spending, it collapsed due to a war that bankrupted it, quite a famous war as well.
    So you could have have held onto India, if only you had more money?

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude...that avatar pic isn't me, and I don't know who it is in that pic. I'm a gun-toting hillbilly dude. I have a beergut and many in grown hairs. I literally did a search for "girls guns USA" to come up with that avatar, it was supposed to be temporary, but I really like that avatar lol.
    Now he's going to have a long, quiet drink all by himself.

Crying.

Hope you feel good about yourself.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you could have have held onto India, if only you had more money?
    Who knows? WWII changed the political landscape, it's impossible to say how things would have panned out had it not happened.