Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Alabama man gets $1,000 in police settlement, his lawyers get $459,000

I don't much care for lawyers.

Guy gets violated by police then violated by lawyers.

us-usa-alabama-police-id

An Alabama man who sued over being hit and kicked by police after leading them on a high-speed chase will get $1,000 in a settlement with the city of Birmingham, while his attorneys will take in $459,000, officials said Wednesday.

The incident gained public attention with the release of a 2008 video of police officers punching and kicking Anthony Warren as he lay on the ground after leading them on a roughly 20-minute high-speed chase.

Warren is serving a 20-year sentence for attempted murder stemming from his running over a police officer during the chase, in which he also hit a school bus and a patrol car before crashing and being ejected from his vehicle.

Under the terms of the settlement of Warren's 2009 federal suit, in which he accused five Birmingham police officers of excessive force, his attorneys will receive $100,000 for expenses and $359,000 in fees, said Michael Choy, an attorney representing the officers on behalf of the city.

The agreement was reached last month and approved on Tuesday by the Birmingham City Council.

The city settled to avoid further litigation and the risk of a higher payout, Choy said.

Warren's attorneys, Wendy Brooks Crew, Alyson Hood Rains and Cameron Hogan, did not immediately respond to messages seeking comment.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So he almost killed a police officer and hit a school bus on a twenty minute high speed chase?

He's lucky to get what he did.

He's doing 20 years in jail. He shouldn't have been given shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Agreed, not like they would let him put that much into the commisary fund anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    He dont deserve shit. He put himself in that situation by creating a high speed chase. I wouldve given it ALL to the lawyers

Deleted
    Anyone that flees from the police deserves fuck all.

Guy is scum. Doesn't deserve anything.

As long as the cops dont start kicking and doing things that ought to be considered illegal yeah he shouldnt have anything but his rights where violated when they started to kick him like he was a dead horse. really if the pigs dont want to pay these things perhaps they should stop acting like pigs and act like honorable law enforcement officers that actually can get the job done without kicking on people on the ground

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrllish View Post
    Guy is scum. Doesn't deserve anything.

So you think it is ok that cops beat the living shit out of you or your friends when they are ont he ground already arrested? really you think that is ok?

Quote Originally Posted by araine View Post
    As long as the cops dont start kicking and doing things that ought to be considered illegal yeah he shouldnt have anything but his rights where violated when they started to kick him like he was a dead horse. really if the pigs dont want to pay these things perhaps they should stop acting like pigs and act like honorable law enforcement officers that actually can get the job done without kicking on people on the ground

- - - Updated - - -

So you think it is ok that cops beat the living shit out of you or your friends when they are ont he ground already arrested? really you think that is ok?
    When he runs over an officer, fuck yes. If someone runs over one of my friends, you better believe if I get to them I'm going to be raging with only one person to take it out on.

10+ Year Old Account
    What would you do to someone who kills your partner and hits a school bus? You don't think you'd snap?
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Because two wrongs make a right?

He committed a crime, and he is going to spend a significant portion of his life in jail for it.

So did these cops -- they beat the crap out of him. That's illegal. Period. What did they get? Not a damn thing. The taxpayers will foot the bill for their crimes.

Justice in America.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xar226 View Post
    What did they get?
    A dead coworker and risking their lives catching him...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    When the asshole runs over a cop and hits a bus yeah kinda I do.

Quote Originally Posted by Felya420 View Post
    What would you do to someone who kills your partner and hits a school bus? You don't think you'd snap?
    Police officers who "snap" on the job should not be police officers.

They are as bad as he is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Police officers who "snap" on the job should not be police officers.

They are as bad as he is.
    They are as bad as the guy who killed someone and hit a schoolbus? On what planet?

Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    Anyone that flees from the police deserves fuck all.
    Not really sure about that, especially if you happen to be a minority in an area where the police have a reputation for brutalizing minorities.

- - - Updated - - -

They are as bad as the guy who killed someone and hit a schoolbus? On what planet?
    Depends on whether or not you believe high-speed chases over drugs are justified. He's serving 20 years for attempted murder and that charge seems pretty sketchy given they are charging him with it for striking a police car during a high-speed chase. They didn't charge him for anything related to the school bus.

Edit: Well I skipped a line in reading, but it doesn't really change the point. He ran from a narcotics officer and it went to a high speed chase, endangering the lives of many people over some drugs. In order for things to escalate, the police must chase, I don't think it should ever reach that point.
    Last edited by v2prwsmb45yhuq3wj23vpjk; 2014-10-24 at 03:29 AM.

The Lightbringer Conspicuous Cultist's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Those lawyers have to get a six figure income to pay off law school somehow.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd want to beat them to within an inch of their life, or maybe even finish the job. But, no... I wouldn't.

Don't get me wrong, an officer is still a human being and as such flawed, but an officer that "snaps" and takes part in a gang beating of a surrendered man, regardless of what he's done and how much you believe he's warranted it, shouldn't be an officer. That's why they settled, If the man was smart (and clearly he isn't, given his actions) he'd have held out, he could've gotten much more, well into the millions.

The fact that they settled out of court tells you all you need to know. Case closed.
    Last edited by Fahrenheit; 2014-10-24 at 01:53 AM.
    Rudimentary creatures of blood and flesh. You touch my mind, fumbling in ignorance, incapable of understanding.
    You exist because we allow it, and you will end because we demand it.

Sovereign
    Mass Effect

Quote Originally Posted by Torgent View Post
    When he runs over an officer, fuck yes. If someone runs over one of my friends, you better believe if I get to them I'm going to be raging with only one person to take it out on.
    Then you go to jail. Probably for 20 years like the guy that you are beating. Just because someone commits a crime does not mean that they are automatically allowed to get beaten. Leave that to the prison guards and inmates. Cops should have lost their jobs, been charged with assault and put away for 20 years. Until something like this actually happens and cops are held to account for their actions, people are going to be brutalized all over the world by the police cause they think they are above the law when in fact they are there to enforce the law. The cops beating a suspect is a fair greater crime in my eyes then someone suspected of baby killing. Cops have a higher standard to live up to and even the slightest transgression should get maximum penalty. Punch a suspect? 10 years. Use your gun in an unsafe manner? 30 years. Cops get all the training they need so there is no excuse to work outside the law. Unless youre actually Steven Segal. Then it's OK.
    Last edited by munkeyinorbit; 2014-10-24 at 01:53 AM. Reason: cause im crap at making sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nizah View Post
    why so mad bro

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So he took a 1k ass kicking?
    You cared enough to post.