10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Firebert View Post
    It will probably take me about a thousand games or the rest of the season. I'm looking at a very long term view here.
    I'm just keeping in mind your previous reports here about good/bad games. It will take a while. That said, with a thousand games of practise, I'd hope you'd have improved a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Apparently, there's a bug where Vayne's quotes would not play when leveling up W, and will be fixed next patch. So for now, you're safe from hearing "Welcome to... PURGE WITH SILVER" at the beginning of games.
    Enstraynomic - League of Legends
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Deleted
    @Firebert

Runes won´t really be a problem since you can run AD rune page in top and jungle aswell, and you´ll never be forced to go mid anyways. But there still isn´t any rush though, normals are perfectly fine for improving and rushing into ranked is a bad idea. I say you specialize in 1-2 roles and then get 2-3 safe champions that you can play in the remaining roles.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 11:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thallidomaniac View Post
    Apparently, there's a bug where Vayne's quotes would not play when leveling up W, and will be fixed next patch. So for now, you're safe from hearing "Welcome to... PURGE WITH SILVER" at the beginning of games.
    I guess that is to prevent level 1 support rage quits :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Trollspwn View Post
    I say you specialize in 1-2 roles and then get 2-3 safe champions that you can play in the remaining roles.
    If you want a full breakdown:

Top: Garen, Kayle, Nasus*, Poppy, Renekton, Teemo.
    Mid: Annie, Ryze, Veigar*, Vladimir, Ziggs.
    Support*: Alistar, Nunu, Sona*, Soraka, Taric.
    ADC: Ashe*, Draven, Sivir, Tristana.
    Jungle*: Master Yi, Warwick*.

The star means my preferred pick for that role (due to overplaying) or preferred role.

My AP page is currently:
    25MR at 18
    11MP5 at 18
    5.1 Magic Pen
    0.77MR
    8.8AP

My Support page:
    12MR
    21 Armor
    2GP5

My AD page:
    13AD
    13 Armor
    24MR at 18
    37 + (3*7) + (3*7)
    W/L/T/Death count: Wolf: 0/1/0/1 | Mafia: 1/6/0/7 | TPR: 0/4/1/5
    SK: 0/1/0/1 | VT: 2/5/2/7 | Cult: 1/0/0/1

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, since you like support you could dive straight into ranked and play mostly that. If you run into someone who legit will not let you play support you should come here and tell us about it.

That said, rarely you will get stuck mid, so you should have a complete rune page for that. Also, Draft is a little different than Blind, so playing some normal draft pick to get a feel for bans, pick order, and counter-picking is a good thing to pick up on and will give you a slight edge compared to most people when playing ranked.

So I did my first ranked game ever today, and... is Sion a good pick top? Because I may have had the worst Sion ever. Not really complaining, but I've never seen him watching ranked matches and wanted to see what people thought.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

Quote Originally Posted by Axethor View Post
    Honestly, since you like support you could dive straight into ranked and play mostly that. If you run into someone who legit will not let you play support you should come here and tell us about it.

That said, rarely you will get stuck mid, so you should have a complete rune page for that. Also, Draft is a little different than Blind, so playing some normal draft pick to get a feel for bans, pick order, and counter-picking is a good thing to pick up on and will give you a slight edge compared to most people when playing ranked.
    Stubborn duo teams will claim bot loads at lower ELO since they will still be convinced that it's the best way to carry through ranked. Only rarely do you see these duo's carry successfully..

@Firebert
    You should at least learn to jungle very well as that seems to be quite an unpopular pick at times. ADC has the same issue plenty of times, but you will definitely need a full runepage for that.

Learn to play top, jungle and support and you'll be safe in your picks most of the time since top champs are mostly also jungle viable you'd need a smaller repertoire in champions to be good at.

That doesn't mean you'll be just as good in the jungle as solo-top and vice-versa, but you will be more familiar with the champion, and should make life a lot easier for you. Every single role should be studied thoroughly.

Deleted
    Support and jungle are good matches since jungle is essentially mapwide support with a bit more farm.

Honestly most popular "junglers" should really be called supports, since the only difference is their (lack of a) lane. They're still there to support the team. The only junglers who truly need more than a bare minimum of farm like Shyvana and Yi are very unpopular now.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post
    Support and jungle are good matches since jungle is essentially mapwide support with a bit more farm.

Honestly most popular "junglers" should really be called supports, since the only difference is their (lack of a) lane. They're still there to support the team. The only junglers who truly need more than a bare minimum of farm like Shyvana and Yi are very unpopular now.
    Honestly, i never understand that shit, why support should provide wards for a whole team? I mean, no one can't spend gold on them? Especially jungler, he has free farm and he is roaming for whole game and usually have means to get away from enemy (while support have to walk around a map leaving his ADC on line alone and usually support die when face-checking bushes)
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    Honestly, i never understand that shit, why support should provide wards for a whole team? I mean, no one can't spend gold on them? Especially jungler, he has free farm and he is roaming for whole game and usually have means to get away from enemy (while support have to walk around a map leaving his ADC on line alone and usually support die when face-checking bushes)
    Junglers should buy wards. Many buy a sightstone to fill the void left by the removal of HoG. However, all I see played (and play myself) are the assassin and carry junglers who need all the gold they can get for items.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaitoc View Post

Junglers should buy wards. Many buy a sightstone to fill the void left by the removal of HoG. However, all I see played (and play myself) are the assassin and carry junglers who need all the gold they can get for items.
    The thing about that is, the S3 jungle still doesn't really have the gold values to make that (the true carry jungler) possible. That's why in competitive play you see even the holy trinity of junglers (Vi, J4, Xin) build into Lockets and Aegis/Bulwark for the more supportish role, and you don't really see actual carry junglers aside from inSec's Zed in the MLG Dallas finals.

I don't know if that's different in solo queue play whether or not carry junglers are playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post
    So I did my first ranked game ever today, and... is Sion a good pick top? Because I may have had the worst Sion ever. Not really complaining, but I've never seen him watching ranked matches and wanted to see what people thought.
    He's actually pretty bad in the top role. Going AD Sion doesn't work that well because melee ADC's still don't fit the current meta that well, and they tend to be easy to counter-pick for the top lane. AP Sion won't fare that much better, I assume.
    Last edited by Thallidomaniac; 2013-03-21 at 03:04 AM.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II

Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    Like I say to every new level 30. Please, do not start doing ranked right away. Learn how to play even better more, go play draft and get used to it, it's just like ranked in terms of banning and so on.

Get all the runes first, learn how to do your own builds and your own masteries, after that, you're set to go play ranked games and go high.

If you ignore that, you'll just ruin everyone's game because you're not at the maximum capacity, meaning that having that extra rune would have helped you a lot, or if you knew how to build well against champion X you wouldn't have lose your lane and possibly the game and so on.

Going ranked right after hitting level 30 and thinking you can go high is bad, stupid and impossible unless you're being carried by someone and if you go support or just an easy role.

Also, get used to play roles that you don't play.
    Good advice- Not level 30 yet, however started playing Draft since level 25 (Almost 28 now) and it's definitely different and great preparation for Ranked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Needing all the gold for items is not an excuse IMO, some people leave base with 500g in pocket, when support can't afford aura items (which benefits to the team) nor wards.
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

From my understanding, Jungle provides wards when needed/ strategic to him.. Which generally works out being benefit to everyone (Usually Top I find). As for supports, we are the ultimate warders! You don't want your ADC etc spending gold on wards (it adds up!) when they could be buying their Infinity Edge. Support items generally are not that expensive and we have G/10 items as well and we generally rush SightStone for wards and much needed health. Early game bottom support should simply be warding bottom river to prevent ganks (Or other points in the area). It's not until late game where support generally has to go out their way to ward- Although it generally works out with team movement.

Deleted
    The thing about that is, the S3 jungle still doesn't really have the gold values to make that (the true carry jungler) possible. That's why in competitive play you see even the holy trinity of junglers (Vi, J4, Xin) build into Lockets and Aegis/Bulwark for the more supportish role, and you don't really see actual carry junglers aside from inSec's Zed in the MLG Dallas finals.

I don't know if that's different in solo queue play whether or not carry junglers are playable.
    More like J4, Xin, Voli. Vi was never really that into competitive (tournaments).

Carry junglers are still very much viable; people just don't want to use them in competitive. I don't think they're used to having a carry champion jungling, but just wait a few months I bet some team'll switch things up with a carry-like jungler as opposed to a carry top-laner; maybe even both. But that's the main problem, they run 3 threats: AD, Top and Mid. Having a fourth would problaly do more harm than good, but I think it could work with the proper strategies/champions.

In yoloqueue everything's viable, as always.

In competitive play you'll literally see everyone run around with 2-3 wards except for the AD Carry; and even he buys the occasional ward if need be. This is simply the solo-queue mentality, but as you progress higher up people buy more wards. But in soloqueue everyone just stops buying wards after 25minutes, which is sad.

---------- Post added 2013-03-21 at 04:58 AM ----------

Platinum 4 baby!

He's actually pretty bad in the top role. Going AD Sion doesn't work that well because melee ADC's still don't fit the current meta that well, and they tend to be easy to counter-pick for the top lane. AP Sion won't fare that much better, I assume.
    I thought so. Probably didn't help that he picked it AFTER he saw Jax. I'm still pretty new to Ranked (and draft in general) but that didn't seem like a good match up.
    <-- That is otterly adorable.

10+ Year Old Account

Solo queue anything goes really. I've had great success with carry junglers. The lack of wards and coordination (in bot lane/counterganks) makes ganks much easier to pull off so you get plenty of gold from snowballing your lanes.

Needing all the gold for items is not an excuse IMO, some people leave base with 500g in pocket, when support can't afford aura items (which benefits to the team) nor wards.
    In a perfect world everyone (minus the ADC) would buy wards. I'm still getting into the mindset of getting wards when possible every time I "b". It's the one thing I have to work on the most right now. It's not a good excuse at all, but when playing solo queue do I want to waste 75g+ (depending on the amount of wards) to provide vision my team mates won't even use or save up and get some damage, defense, or aura items faster that will help my team win fights?

Your probably a higher rank than me where wards start to make a consistent difference, but I know from experience at my ranking that it's hard enough to get people to respond to pings when I catch the enemy jungler invading, nevermind look at the minimap to see someone heading to their lane to gank. I've had all of bot river warded and pinged the enemy champ going down, and had people completely ignore it and continue pushing or fighting.

Solo queue anything goes really. I've had great success with carry junglers. The lack of wards and coordination (in bot lane/counterganks) makes ganks much easier to pull off so you get plenty of gold from snowballing your lanes.

In a perfect world everyone (minus the ADC) would buy wards. I'm still getting into the mindset of getting wards when possible every time I "b". It's the one thing I have to work on the most right now. It's not a good excuse at all, but when playing solo queue do I want to waste 75g+ (depending on the amount of wards) to provide vision my team mates won't even use or save up and get some damage, defense, or aura items faster that will help my team win fights?

Your probably a higher rank than me where wards start to make a consistent difference, but I know from experience at my ranking that it's hard enough to get people to respond to pings when I catch the enemy jungler invading, nevermind look at the minimap to see someone heading to their lane to gank. I've had all of bot river warded and pinged the enemy champ going down, and had people completely ignore it and continue pushing or fighting.
    Well personally I buy wards on adc early just to help out a alittle ( pink river to just get clearence for jungler ) but thats prob just the support in me. I feel your pain on the pings , idk the countless times ive died or just waited in bush because people would not respond to my pings and just stay there with their thumb up their butt. But I have seen the higher your ranking goes the more competent your team mates will be ( hopefully ) .
    Quote Originally Posted by Dupree View Post

He is a god, and should not have to associate with lower class citizens, for his valor points, I mean thats ALL he could be there for, he obviously doesnt need gear, so blizzard should just credit his account with 500 VP a week, for his troubles

10+ Year Old Account

I just finished solo que game as Draven (people dodged game 4 times and all these times i had a guy who wanted to go Lux support). My support started from Doran Ring and we was laning against MF+Lulu. At some point we had to ward up our river (~3 minute, they had Darius jungle, so seeing him approaching would be really nice), i asked Lux to buy a ward and she did it and warded river.
    After 30 seconds Lulu counter-warded it and it was obvious that Darius is going to gank us, i said it to our Nocturne-jungler and he sat in our tri-bush in wait for Darius. We caught Darius off-guard and killed him (Lux took this kill as half of my farm, i.e. spamming singularity and taking away creep kills), then i had to go in low-budged AD Draven (without 5 bloodthristers) and when i move out of base i had 113 gold in my pocked, so i waited and brought pink ward to counterward Lulu pink. Right after doing so, i asked Lux to do the same or buy an Orcale, she refused to do so because "she spend all money". Ugh.

I ended up with 3/7/17 score, because i was focused and killed by really fed Vladimir, MF ultimate and Kata. The fun thing was my team walking away with me when enemy start pounding me, and as soon as i died, they turned around and fought them back giving away Ace to Kata or Vlad. Then i started getting angry and brought sightstone + Orcale, dewarded objectives, jungle and warded their jungle where i and nocturne ganked poor Vladimir like 5 times in a row (and due to not having any items, i've got only 1 kill out of it), but due to support gold i've managed to get BoRK, Ghostblade and with Vampiric Scepter managed to survive teamfight and after doing Ace we (me and nocturne) pushed and destroyed their nexus.

Wards are not anti-gank feature, smart use of them can help you to shutdown fed enemy, or not so fed enemy, or a support who is farming jungle to get ward money. And at least for me it is better to buy wards buy yourself, than spamming in /All OMG THAT NOOB SUPPORT DON'T BY WARDS GG REPORT HIM PLS I AFK

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenlnir View Post
    I thought so. Probably didn't help that he picked it AFTER he saw Jax. I'm still pretty new to Ranked (and draft in general) but that didn't seem like a good match up.
    Yep, Jax is a very common (and effective) counter-pick to melee ADCs in top lane.
    TheEnst - Starcraft II