Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Is going to be like WoW

This is not a WoW vs TOR thread, is more to the point is TOR is to be like WoW? I understand they are are both MMORPG but can someone briefly sum up in a few sentences what TOR brings to the MMORPG table, thanks

Well if your a commando BFG's

ORLY I had no idea!! Thanks for this new and informative thread!

Deleted
    More story, voice acting in quests and cutscenes.

And hopefully gungans.

Quote Originally Posted by RevanSparda View Post
    ORLY I had no idea!! Thanks for this new and informative thread!
    I have no idea what you are talking about, i was merely asking to see what new stuff SWTOR brought to the mmo table

And thanks for the reply guys, im still on the fence about getting it though

WoW is a hot-key MMORPG, SWTOR is also a hot-key MMORPG - but the games both use entirely different engines so that's where the similarities end.

It's like comparing 2 different FPS games made by 2 completely different engines and developers. Get it?

ToR keeps up with WoW on many levels. And lingers behind on some as well.
    One thing ToR does bring is story based questing, which to me is a big deal. After countless number of mind-numbing character grinds in WoW....the thought of story and decision making within that story is a breath of fresh air.

I tried quite a few mmo's after my wow burn out, and none of them felt any different. Just one meaningless grind after the other, all of which I was too bored to undertake. But this game changes that for me.

Something else it brings, space battles. Hop on your ship and enter a space based pvp zone. Thats kinda cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouni View Post
    WoW is a hot-key MMORPG, SWTOR is also a hot-key MMORPG - but the games both use entirely different engines so that's where the similarities end.

It's like comparing 2 different FPS games made by 2 completely different engines and developers. Get it?
    what i mean is if TOR is a contains quests like *kill 10 of that, collect 5 of these* then i have abolutely no interest in that, been doing that for over 6 years

Quote Originally Posted by Qanlayeni View Post
    what i mean is if TOR is a contains quests like *kill 10 of that, collect 5 of these* then i have abolutely no interest in that, been doing that for over 6 years
    It's an mmorpg, what do you expect?

So let me guess WoW was your first and only mmo correct? It is called Themepark story progression mmo's.

The quests are like that. aside from voices dialogue, it plays exactly like wow

As others have said this is also a themepark style mmorpg. They will work similarly. However there are some nice improvements that swtor has compared to wow or most other mmos.

1. Story. I know most games have a story, but this is bioware story. And on top of that, every class has it's own unique story. You will share some quests with others but every class is different. Also republic and empire do not share a single quest.
    2. Fully Voiced. I know most people will just think this someone reading the quest text to you. But you will be surprised by how much more it pulls you in. Even trash quests have made me feel things I have never felt before in other mmos (I'm talking just after a few minutes at a conference not even breaking nda here). Camera angles, depth of field, characters acting with facial expressions and everything. Just so much more interesting than a block of text.
    3. LS/DS/Grey system. This is the big thing where it comes to story. In every other mmo all you can do is either accept a quest or decline and possibly do it later. In this game you can control how you finish a quest. Do you kill the father who is running away with his son so you can conscript the force sensitive son? Or do you let them go so they can enjoy a more peaceful normal life? In either case you finish the quest, but you don't see the other option unless you do the quest on another character.
    4. Cover system. A lot more classes and enemies are ranged in this game, so being able to take cover makes sense. It works sort of like stealth from other games where you get a new bar and special abilities if you are in cover, as well as a defensive bonus. This isn't just running behind a rock to LoS, this is being able to shoot over the rock while the enemy will sometimes hit it instead of you.
    5. Personal starships. Not only do they function as a sort of personal housing, but they also allow you to take part in the space combat minigame. Sure space combat is a lot like starfox, but wow is getting pokemon, which do you prefer?
    7. Companions. These are not pets. Most mobs in this game are actually in packs of 3. So with a companion you will have roles that compliment each other. Want to level as a healer? Well now you can bring your dps companion and learn how to be a healer even while soloing. Want to level as a tank? You can learn basic mechanics like threat and defensive stats are actually important while questing. Not to mention they can sell junk for you from where ever you want, and craft or harvest for you, as well as improve your story experience.
    8. Crew system of crafting. Get tired of flying around picking flowers or standing in town watching a bar fill up 20 times? Well thanks to crew skills your companions do all the work. There are still nodes in the world and if you really want to physically bend over you can, I prefer to make my companion go get the node while I loot the mobs I just killed and start attacking the next group.
    9. Ranged tanks. Not really that strange, you have seen them in some gimmick boss fights in wow. But in this game they are full on practical tanks. Nothing revolutionary though, they don't rely on kiting or anything like that. This game just has a lot of ranged enemies (guns are everywhere) and instead of running all over the place to melee them, you can just sit back and shoot at them (or hit them with a flamethrower).
    10. No auto attack. Again not too different, we see this sort of thing with casters, but usually not with melee. The no auto attack really makes you feel like you are in control because every time you hit a button your character does an animation, opposed to you being able to just stand there and auto attack a mob down.
    11. No mana. Blizzard is even thinking about changing this up, but right now, most games, mana scales with a stat (like intellect). In swtor, everyone has predetermined caps on their resources that can't be modified by gear. You could argue that "force" resource for sages and sorcerers works like mana, but it is only 500, and can never increase by gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Puremallace View Post
    So let me guess WoW was your first and only mmo correct? It is called Themepark story progression mmo's.
    Sorry to make a fool out of you, but no its not. Thats how i know the are other successful MMO's out there that dont use this system and get along fine

---------- Post added 2011-11-18 at 06:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by torftw View Post
    Snip.
    Ah thanks alot for that its just what i was looking for, it does sound interesting and maybe i will give it a trial and see how it pans out

Deleted
    Sorry to make a fool out of you, but no its not. Thats how i know the are other successful MMO's out there that dont use this system and get along fine

---------- Post added 2011-11-18 at 06:46 PM ----------

Ah thanks alot for that its just what i was looking for, it does sound interesting and maybe i will give it a trial and see how it pans out
    which MMO's are these? cos i need to play some.

Quote Originally Posted by Tortillagirl View Post
    which MMO's are these? cos i need to play some.
    I played both Everquest 1 and Dark age of camelot before coming to WoW and both were really great games, i cant remember why i stopped playing them tbh

Little fact check here, there are no "ranged tank". the BH powertech tank CAN tank at range, but is much more effective within melee range.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you torftw, this was a really good answer and made me kind of wanting to give it a try just based on your post.
    "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."~Evelyn Beatrice Hall
    "Never argue with an idiot, they will drag you to their level and beat you with experience." ~Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by NihilSustinet View Post
    Little fact check here, there are no "ranged tank". the BH powertech tank CAN tank at range, but is much more effective within melee range.
    True, but so is my warlock .

Also i can understand if they are aiming for the mass market here with these kind of PVE grind quests because thats what the market seems to want. unfornetly for me, i would call myself a minority, is that ive been doing this for 6 years, and i need a change