Page 1 of 2
LastLast

So my ex-room mate is saying I stole his compound bow, should I be worried?

My room-mate and I got into a fight a few weeks ago and he moved out. A mutual friend just came by and said "you know he's taking you to court, right?" When I asked "why," he said that the guy is going around telling everyone I stole his compound bow. For starters, if his bow was missing, why didn't he mention it when he moved the last of his belongings out of the house? Secondly, I don't even know what bow he is talking about -- and neither does our mutual friend.

Do I have to worry about getting thrown into jail for this crap?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersovic View Post
    My room-mate and I got into a fight a few weeks ago and he moved out. A mutual friend just came by and said "you know he's taking you to court, right?" When I asked "why," he said that the guy is going around telling everyone I stole his compound bow. For starters, if his bow was missing, why didn't he mention it when he moved the last of his belongings out of the house? Secondly, I don't even know what bow he is talking about -- and neither does our mutual friend.

Do I have to worry about getting thrown into jail for this crap?
    In a word, no.

While he could take you to small claims court (I guess), anything else would require police involvement, and they already would have spoken to you. How does anyone miss a compound bow anyways? It's not like they're tiny!

10+ Year Old Account
    He needs evidence before they can do anything to you.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Quote Originally Posted by Eliandal View Post
    In a word, no.

While he could take you to small claims court (I guess), anything else would require police involvement, and they already would have spoken to you. How does anyone miss a compound bow anyways? It's not like they're tiny!
    That's the whole thing, I don't even think he had one. We lived together during bow season last year and I never saw him messing with a bow -- not even when another friend brought his bow over and we shot it in the yard.

unless there is proof you stole it then it is his word against yours. That doesn't hold up in court.

15+ Year Old Account
    No. There is no evidence that you stole the bow. Sounds like the jack*ss is trying to make you scared and ruin your day. Tell him you talked it over with your parents, you got a good lawyer, tell him to give you his lawyers contact information, and that you'll see him in court. Play his bluff.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    No, and you should just ignore it and get on with your life.

Thanks for the responses, this is calming me down. I was starting to worry that the cops were going to show up at my work and arrest me without even asking me any questions.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you can't find a compound bow in your place, or your car, or any other place he might have claimed you put it/stored it, he has no real evidence to back up his claim. Just getting into a fight and moving out would not convince any small claims court judge. There would have to be actual physical evidence that you stole the compound bow.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the responses, this is calming me down. I was starting to worry that the cops were going to show up at my work and arrest me without even asking me any questions.
    The cops are unlikely to even bother unless he can point them right at the bow. It's just not worth their time.

10+ Year Old Account
    Lmao really? Sorry but your kinda dumb for thinking that. You cant just walk into a Cop-Shop and say " X guy stole X item of mine!! Arrest him! " Good chance he would get arrested for wasting police time. Forget about it and move on . Dont think so silly.
    Remember, A Man may break a Woman's Heart - But a Woman will destroy a Man's life. - SJK @ the #Antiwokenessworld

If you didn't steal it, then you have nothing to worry about.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Reclaimer View Post
    Lmao really? Sorry but your kinda dumb for thinking that. You cant just walk into a Cop-Shop and say " X guy stole X item of mine!! Arrest him! " Good chance he would get arrested for wasting police time. Forget about it and move on . Dont think so silly.
    I don't have a lot of run-ins with the law, granted I have 4 public intoxication charges (roughly a $60 pre-payable fine), so I have no idea how this type of shit works.

LOL over a bow?! No way man you have nothing to worry about.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't have a lot of run-ins with the law, granted I have 4 public intoxication charges (roughly a $60 pre-payable fine), so I have no idea how this type of shit works.
    Well first off, without evidence he can do nothing. Secondly, small claims court is a civil court, not a criminal one. Even if he did have evidence against you, the worst that could happen is that you'd have to pay for the bow. You wouldn't get arrested for it.

I would rather be worried about what might happen when he got a replacement bow :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    I would rather be worried about what might happen when he got a replacement bow :P
    I'm more worried about where the other guy may have left his bow, seems like something you wouldn't want to leave in a public area. 0.0

The only thing you have to worry about is him getting a new bow and shooting you with it.
    The most successful tyranny is not the one that uses force to assure uniformity but the one that removes the awareness of other possibilities.

Quote Originally Posted by oblivionx View Post
    The only thing you have to worry about is him getting a new bow and shooting you with it.
    I sleep with a loaded nine mil, lol. He might take me out, but I'm betting I can empty a clip on his ass before I bleed out.

He needs proof. If he has no proof then you have nothing to worry about.