Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    been playing arms for almost 30 minutes and I have to say, it's garbage. First half the people I play against got disconnected proving again that nintendo is going to get away with a shitty online service but this time we have to pay for it. Second the controls are really bad, If you are using the thumbs up position you want to know how to switch targets in a group battle? You have to use your middle finger to press on the d pad. This is AWFUL it feels horrible and my middle finger isn't close to the button, you only push 2 fucking buttons in this position so WHY is the change target button there it's not easy to get to in this position. Moving in general is also awful and the motion controls are very trigger happy. Like the slightest jerk will register as a punch so when I go to punch it sometimes grabs thinking I grabbed when I didn't. Lastly the gameplay is just shallow, it's not going to have that longevity stick to it.

Not worth $60 imo, this is like a 20$ game 30$ tops.

Dashing with motion controls doesn't really work out, to dash in a direction you want you have to tilt both controllers in the direction then dash, it's just awkward to try to dash then punch without hooking your punch in the wrong direction.
    I personally thought it was a blast, but there needed to be a much more easier to see way of changing from motion to standard control. I stuck with motion controls, and it did take me a few matches to get used to, especially with more than two player matches (where's the fucking target change but...oh it's on the face buttons).

- - - Updated - - -

I also forgot to add, I only had one disconnect, maybe it was the people you were playing with.

And Nintendo needs to find a better way of harming people who dced. I got an instant perfect when the guy I was facing dced at the beginning of a match.

fought myself in arms and won

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

There's no friendly fire for team mates too which is awful in this kind of setting when you can't fully control you're punches.
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

People actually using the gimmick controls lol...(not surprising as I don't think most of this thread is actually fighting game players)

No matter how well made they are you're never going to be able to do inputs faster with your wrist then you can with your thumbs and fingers.

There's no friendly fire for team mates too which is awful in this kind of setting when you can't fully control you're punches.
    Wow there should be friendly fire...
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Wow there should be friendly fire...
    It really sucks because it's not a get gud situation. You're literally tethered to you're team mate if you get knocked around you're partner goes with you and if you land in front of him or vice versa you can't punch or you knock out you're partner and jumping over him is incredibly obvious you'll be wide open and moving away from him is SLOW moving side you side forward and back takes way too long

This is going to be an esport ? LOL no
    Pokemon FC: 4425-2708-3610

I received a day one ORAS demo code. I am a chosen one.

It really sucks because it's not a get gud situation. You're literally tethered to you're team mate if you get knocked around you're partner goes with you and if you land in front of him or vice versa you can't punch or you knock out you're partner and jumping over him is incredibly obvious you'll be wide open and moving away from him is SLOW moving side you side forward and back takes way too long

That sounds soooooooooo bad. 1v1 looks like it mite be fun but the team mode like that sounds horrible.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    People actually using the gimmick controls lol...(not surprising as I don't think most of this thread is actually fighting game players)

No matter how well made they are you're never going to be able to do inputs faster with your wrist then you can with your thumbs and fingers.
    Yeah fuck those guys having fun playing they way they want. :P

I played with both, I thought motion controls were more fun but certainly felt like I had an advantage even with the group because I didn't have to react as much. but the intensity of the motion fights couldn't be matched

- - - Updated - - -

1v1 felt very competitive to me, maybe not as much as other hardcore fighters, but certainly felt like it could be a B-tier Esport.

Maybe not 2v2 though
    and definitely not 1v1v1
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

Quote Originally Posted by ryanmahaffe View Post
    1v1 felt very competitive to me, maybe not as much as other hardcore fighters, but certainly felt like it could be a B-tier Esport.
    Smash 4 has survived as a freaking e sport, I think ARMS will be fine there if it actually gets a fan base. Smash 4 is basically as anti competitive as you can get, and balance patches have ruined all of the best tech in that game(for the sake of it not bodying casuals online).

Not to mention all the scrub tier fighting games like NRS games and DOA that survive at the competitive level. The only real fighting games that have ever been good at the "e sport" level are Melee, Marvel and SF(but SFV has a long way to go to catch up to SFIV tbh). Yet multiple ones that are terrible still survive and get spots at big name tournaments.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-05-27 at 04:38 AM.

wait.. we could use normal controls in the demo? how? i did not know, id like to try out the gamepad controls as i had some trouble with the motion controls. i kept moving when i didnt want to and found it hard to direct my arms where i wanted, granted i had a fucking blast the whole time and ill likely use motion most of the time
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    wait.. we could use normal controls in the demo? how? i did not know, id like to try out the gamepad controls as i had some trouble with the motion controls. i kept moving when i didnt want to and found it hard to direct my arms where i wanted, granted i had a fucking blast the whole time and ill likely use motion most of the time
    No idea if you can or not as I don't own a Switch and still won't until at min July but assumed you could since the Splatoon demo years back had the option to toggle gyro on/off.

The motion controls will undoubtedly be shit though for the reason I stated. If you just want to "have fun" and get bodied online so be it but they're going to be a major issue and not sure why Nintendo is even advertising them as the main control method for the game.

Not to mention the extra input latency online matches can add with even slightly bad netcode will make the issue even larger.

Imagine having a Souls PVP style fight with one player playing WW Link and the other playing SS Link. Laughs are to be had.
    Last edited by Tech614; 2017-05-27 at 04:56 AM.

20 year old game using outsourced HD sprites from a 5 year old version of said game that was $15. I don't need your clickbait video to tell me it's not worth $40. Digital Foundry is really falling off if they're resorting to garbage like this.

10+ Year Old Account

Definitely still the 3ds version but with higher res textures and models. Looks like a decent looking Ps2 games, or bad ps3 game. Still much more playable than the 240p for the 3ds. Hoping its 60 fps, thought they might keep it 30 to have it at parity with 3ds players during crossplay.

i wonder when the switch will get a yokai watch.

A MH game that doesn't look like AIDS with aliasing worse then n64 era?

I might actually give it a shot. The res bump does a lot to clean up the image by itself even though it's clearly a 3DS game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    A MH game that doesn't look like AIDS with aliasing worse then n64 era?

I might actually give it a shot. The res bump does a lot to clean up the image by itself even though it's clearly a 3DS game.
    Yeah id say its around Wii level or maybe just slightly better. Not bad though. Ill probably try it. Just hoping theres stuff I can do solo. Not really looking to form a guild and dont have any friends that would want to play with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chickat View Post
    Yeah id say its around Wii level or maybe just slightly better. Not bad though. Ill probably try it. Just hoping theres stuff I can do solo. Not really looking to form a guild and dont have any friends that would want to play with me.
    No it's 3DS level...

Running at 1080p with MSAA it looks like.

The Wii MH games and even MH3U on Wii U still looked like ass, much worse then this tbh.

It definitely doesn't have any asset upgrades from the 3DS version, but I would rather have the smooth AA which it does have.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh god. The WiiU game looks terrible...

- - - Updated - - -

Im positive the WiiU one could run on a vita.

That monster hunter announcement made me so freaking happy, especially the cross-platform multiplayer.
    I do really hope that we dont have to wait 1,5 years for a western release this time.