Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    Deleted

[Closed SRP] Tendrils of the Nightmare

Background:

After Ragnaros was banished, it seemed like tranquility would settle over Mount Hyjal. However, the nefarious agents of the Twilight's Hammer have taken hold of several druids of the Cenarion Circle. Now corrupted, these druids are feeding a rift in the lands, causing the Nightmare to gain in power. Several druids and green dragons have already been lost to the renewed menace. Remembering all too well what had happened the last time, Malfurion pleaded with Ysera to open a portal into the Emeral Dream and let a group of adventurers through. Their mission: to find and rescue the lost dreamers and stop the corrupted druids.

After their defeat in Darkwhisper Gorge, the Legion withdrew, but they had not forgotten. Returning en masse they slaughtered the Twilight guards and seized control of the portal. Two powerful commanders entered in order to search the Dream for traces of Lord Xavius' essence.

State of the Dream:

The Dream is roughly divided into three parts: the uncorrupted, the Nightmare-touched, and the fully corrupted parts.

The uncorrupted parts:
    As the name suggests, these parts have not been touched by the Nightmare. They represent the Azeroth as it could have been without the mortals' influence.

Druidic magic: Druidic spells are greatly empowered inside the Dream. The caster gains almost unwavering focus while weaving their magic.
    Arcane (and fel) magic: Depends on the proximity of ley lines. Outside their influence spells lose their power. The weaker ley lines allow normal spellcasting, the medium-strength ones empower spells, but make them harder to control. The strongest lines cannot be tapped into by a single spellcaster (requiring the joint casting of at least two characters), or they might risk being torn apart by the ercane energies. Because there is no fel magic within the Dream, the Legion will have to rely on the ley lines too.
    Shamanistic and divine magic: The calls work exactly as they would in the Waking World.

The Nightmare-touched parts:
    These parts have been corrupted by the insane druids of the Twilight's Hammer. Some of the wildlife has mutated into new, dangerous forms.

Druidic magic: Spells are still empowered, but every spellcast has a chance of corrupting the caster. Sometimes spells will backfire and work against the caster (heals ripping wounds open, vines enveloping their caller, etc.).
    Arcane (and fel) magic: The same laws apply as with the clean parts, but all spells have the chance to backfire. Joint casting is advised at all times.
    Shamanistic and divine magic: The calls are muffled, effectively slowing spellcasting.

The corrupted parts:
    All the denizens of these areas have been corrupted. Even the plantlife can be deadly.

Druidic magic: It would be wise not to cast druidic spells within these areas. Every spellcast will corrupt the caster.
    Arcane (and fel) magic: Same rules as before apply, but spellcasting requires the full attention of at least two casters. Casting within the strongest of ley-lines is not advisable.
    Shamanistic and divine magic: Spells are slowed further, but retain their full power.

Rough maps:

Locations:

Green portal: Ysera's portal
    Purple portal: Twilight portal
    Yellow-orange: Kanni
    Orange: Areto
    Green: Terinisera
    Dark green: End'ghao
    Purple area: touched by the Nightmare
    Red area: completely corrupted

Ley lines:

Purple: powerful ley line
    Red: ley line
    Orange: weaker ley line

"Aaaaaargh!"

The thing that had once been a bear snarled one last time. Its pustulant bulk sagged. Kanni wiped her claws clean on her robes. She focused again. Wake. Wake. Wake. And again she felt like she was hitting a stone wall.

She was trapped.

Hani awoke to a bright day. She noticed something out of place. Kanni, usually always awake even before dawn, was fast asleep. She smiled and shook her friend's shoulder. And again.

Kanni was not moving. She was barely breathing.

"That was more pleasant than I thought."

The huge demon stepped through the portal they conquered from the twilight. He quickly flapped both of his wings, and stretched his arms.

"Nnnngh. I haven't been in my true form for ages."

The demon was fully armed and covered in blood and gore. He contentedly licked some blood off his claws.

The demon intended to summon some entropic fire, to burn the remains of his enemies from his body, but a fire much stronger than the one he originally wanted to summon erupted on his shoulders.When he felt the heat growing much stronger than he intended, the demon reacted quickly and ended his cast. He dropped on the floor rolling.
    After some moments pondering about what just happened, he came to a conclusion.

"Ah, of course. A portal like this can not be placed anywhere."

The sayaad closed his eyes and concentrated on his surroundings. As with his rising concentration, the blood haze from the past fight faded, his now clear conscience was able to feel strong energies pulsing in the air.

"Maybe that Eredar might prove useful after all."

Kalyssad was furious when he heard he was to look for remains of that Xavius. The fool failed twice in plotting against the night elves while he himself was proven a competent leader of the Burning Blade. But he would not question the master's wishes. That is why he agreed in teaming up with that female. That and the fact that he could roam in his true form once again, and satisfy his desires with other things than mortal females.

"Where is she?"

The demon thought while tapping his hoof on the ground.
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2011-05-12 at 01:53 PM.

The humble dragon looked about with weary eyes as he saw the encroaching darkness around him. It was as if someone had squeezed the very souls of millions of beings and had made a web of otherworldly dark magic with them. The nightmare had not been where End'ghao wanted to be, but it was there that he found himself. He had to find the younger drake. He had to...

Spreading his wings, the green drake took to flight, painfully going about 100 meters before exhaustion overtook him. He would have to continue on foot...
    Last edited by Black Mage; 2011-05-12 at 12:38 PM.

"Was that an attempt to impress me, incubus?", spoke the Eredar that had emerged from the portal behind Kalyssad, as she neared him.

"Well, it wasn't as I had hoped. Far too messy...", she whispered in his ear, as she pulled away. Lahrein now stood before him, as she eyed up and down her new companion.
    Last edited by ELYPOP; 2011-05-12 at 05:51 PM. Reason: Khor sux.

"I have a name warlock. If you wish I call you by yours, you better start using mine."

Kalyssad stepped very close to Lahrein, so that he was towering nearly above her and made her feel his breath, while grinning at her with the widest, most fake smile possible. He waited for a split second before he stepped back to an acceptable distance.

"And I would not be so fast in disregarding my ability to kill with my hands."

The demon drew his ritual dagger and kneeled down. He drew a minor powerful rune into the earth that immediately started to glow violently as it was finished. He immediately stomped on it.

Magic in this dream is fragile and uncontrollable. Choking someone to death will prove more reliable. So you are better advised to rely on the aid of the humble Kalyssad."

he bowed gracefully.

"Now that we already are talking of aid Lahrein, did you bring any reinforcements?"
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2011-05-12 at 08:35 PM. Reason: ^ Elyaan can't spell the singular of incubus.

"You think that I cannot defend myself?", she spoke softly, running a lone finger down the Sayaad's chin. Pulling away from him once more, she returned to the portal.

"Now, Kalyssad, make yourself somewhat useful. Help me summon in the pets...", she cackled, as her clawed hands began to shimmer in a violet shade.

Kalyssad nodded and threw his dagger into the ground. From the cracks around the blade greenish lines grew outward and rose up in the air to a hexagonal portal. On both Lahrein and Kalyssad's foreheads little drops of sweat formed as they summoned forth their minions. The first one to step through the portal was a small Mo'arg, followed by four of his kin. After they made it through the portal the two summoners had to enlarge it. The portal flickered as it grew but it reached the size to permit a Gan'arg siege smith his way into the dream. After he left the portal completely, it begann to shiver and pulse violently. It was visible on both Lahrein and Kalys' faces that they were fully concentrated on maintaining the link.

"Nn-not yet. There should be some more."

The clatter of metal was heard as two abominations made of metal ran through the portal. Mere moments after them passing through the portal it collapsed and imploded, also closing the twilight portal in the process.

As Lahrein and Kalyssad shook of the explosion the Gan'arg ordered his lesser brothers to secure their explosives and check their bionic implants as if nothing happened. The two creatures who were summoned last galloped at Lahrein growling.

"Down you two!"

Kalyss ordered as he got back on his feet. The metal clad fel hunters stopped and turned towards the sayaad.

"Her magic is not here to feed you but to assist us."

As Lahrein's face showed a questioning expression the Incubus started to explain.

"Those are adamantite stalkers. Only the most vicious fel hunters get their skeleton replaced with Adamatite. They not only excel at bringing down mages but are also formidable in close combat. Those two were made by an old friend of mine."

The sayaad collected his dagger and began stroking on of the stalkers with his hand, as Lahrein got on her feet.

((Lokann allowed us some reinforcement since it is just the two of us on Legion side.))
    Last edited by Khorianas; 2011-05-12 at 07:55 PM.

Deleted
    (( I've got either Terin or Kelara who can join ^____^ ))

Deleted
    (( I assumed you'd take Terin, we needed more people to be trapped. ))

Deleted
    I'm a guardian, I'm a guardian, I'm a guardian, I'm a guardian.. Wake up Terin, wake up, wake up wake up! The breathing of the young dragon was fast and filled with panic, as she was looking around frantically, realising all too well the boundaries of her prison. All too well did she know of what had happened before, all too well did she know the importance of waking up before darkness could spread. Even so, the young Dragon Terinisera had been completely trapped within the new springing nightmare. Terin knew nothing of the strenght of the nightmare, yet she knew that dragons many times more powerful than herself had fallen to the corruption. The young dragon was even trapped inside her High Elven guise, left without claws or wings to defend herself. The only thing Terinisera was certain of at this point, was that she'd restrain herself as much as possible from using magic. Attempting to calm herself down, Terin knew she would have to think carefully if she was to escape this place and wake up, yet her senses were on edge. Calm your mind, Terin. Remain focused. Find End'Ghao, he can help you, find him. Looking around wearily, the only direction that would make any sense for Terin to walk was south.
    Last edited by mmoc510818b846; 2011-05-12 at 08:37 PM.

Shaza'kiel burst through the portal opened by Ysera into the Nightmare, the first of the rescuers recruited my Malfurion to do so. As he did he stopped to take in his surroundings. The area was lushly vegetated, yet there was a hazy miasma in the air. More to the point, there was nothing attacking him yet.

I hope this doesn't turn out to be a big waste of time, I was hoping for some really strong opponents and I get plants...

The others seemed to be taking their time emerging, so he spun his huge double-bladed sword around and slammed it into the earth before his feet. Filling his lungs with the sickly sweet air of the Dream, he roared out over the forest, "Beings of the Nightmare!!! I Shaza'kiel, invite you to come and fight me! Unless you're too scared of course...
    Death is the only true release, the only real freedom.

Sora Dawnblade Bio. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...94#post8142294

Shaza'Kiel Bio. http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...69#post8342969

The green dragon felt the hands grasping him again, the tendrils, the eyes.... whisperings... he was powerless... "Ysera..." The wyrm whispered... End'ghao shook his head as he felt himself wake once more. Sweat covered his massive body, his lungs heaved gulping breaths as he tore away from the maddening whispers. Sleep was not a possibility... He had tried to use a spell of sleeping on himself, in order to attempt to trick the nightmare to allow him rest but it had backfired... He had drove further into the murky depths of insanity then ever before.

With labored steps, he rose, transforming into his elven form, a long green cloak draped around him, and a black scarf to cover his eyes. He stepped once more, North. He had to continue...

10+ Year Old Account
    "Everything is so beautiful here. The animals, the trees, and to think not even a month ago all of this land was ravaged by fire...."

Feanor had enjoyed his short stay under the boughs of Nordrassil, it was unlike any place he had ever been. The atmosphere was relaxing and one could sleep deeply under the great tree without being troubled. When the Council of Six informed him of the great arch druids intentions he leapt at the chance to not only see Mount Hyjal, but the elusive dream world of the druids as well. When he first arrived at the mountain he had been awed by its grandeur and primal beauty and gladly roamed among the woods at the foot of the great tree. Feanor had enjoyed his stay so well that he almost forgot to join the other adventurers in entering the Dream. But Feanor would in no way allow himself to miss out in a once in a lifetime experience.

After a short meeting at the lake under Nordrassil, Feanor stepped through the Portal and into the Emerald Dream and witnessed what Azeroth would have looked like had the mortals never been.

It was different than what he had imagined. Although the image of a lush forest greeted him something seemed wrong about the Dream. It felt dark, and mysterious as though a corruption was slowing creeping through everything. Feanor wasn't a druid but he could feel the taint as one feels a cold breeze after a warm summers day. At least he wasn't alone just yet. The battlemage watched as the battle hungry human declared himself to the dream, accepting any challengers. Feanor liked his tenacity.

"Come now Shaza'Kiel, do not scare our foes off so soon. I haven't even warmed myself up yet."

Deleted
    Terin was moving slowly. The young drake's body felt heavy. For every single step she took it felt more and more as if she was being pulled to the ground. The ground itself seemed to be rotting slowly. It was as if everything inside the dream where Terin was, was slowly dying and rotting. Sweat was dripping down her elven cheeks, as she pushed herself forwards. If the ground was truely dying, as Terin speculated, what was happening to Terin herself? Was she going to...? Exhausted beyond her own belief, it caused Terin great pain to keep pushing forwards. It also seemed that the further she went from where she had entered the dream, the harder it became to keep moving. Yet, giving up was not an option. Blinking tiredly, Terin ended up sitting down near an old oak. It would only be a second she kept telling herself. Only a second to regain some strenght to keep moving. Thats when Terin's first thought of giving up emerged. The strain, the pain, the lonelieness. A lasting battle of concience, of wits. Who knew if the youngling was even going to wake up again..? Did anyone else than those trapped know of their locations..? Refusing to listen, refusing to give in to hopelessness, the Dragon didn't even attempt to deny the thoughts. Terin forced herself back upon her feet and continued to move through the dying wilderness around her. Though, for a tiny and inexperienced being as Terin herself, lasting long in the corruption was highly unlikely. So far, she hadn't met any wildlife though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Ronacus walked towards the portal in his Kal'dorei slowly shifting into his true form, a mighty green dragon. Now was not the time to hold to mortal forms as he was still unsure just how his use of magic might effect him in the portal. It had been along time since an event propelled him into combat. If anything is worth risking my life, fighting this Nightmare would be it, He assured himself. He recounted the names in his head, Kanni, Areto, Terinisera, End'ghao. The dreamers who were taken by the Nightmare.

"Time to see if my meditating paid off." As he walked through the portal into the Dream. He felt nothing coming from the recesses of his mind, but the same low murmuring of his affliction. Ronacus let out a long breath and made his way over the the humans who were helping in this mission. "Is it not wonderful?" The Dream was just as he remembered it, as always. He felt alive again and even longed to fly to his favorite lake to see his flowers, but that would have to wait. Instead he settled for urging a few bulbs to sprout from the ground in several dazzling shades of purple.

"It is beautiful, Lord Dragon. But we have not the time nor the energy to spend on idle chatter. We have dreamers to rescue, do we not?" Venarion spoke, as he walked through the portal into the midst of his comrades. The elven male wore no weapons, his body clad in skin tight ebony leather, silver rose vines curling around the armor which seemed to curl around him as he walked. His eyes were a dark ruby shade, peering out at his companions from behind a onyx facemask and hood. He eyed the two human companions who were to accompany him with an emotionless gaze. Venarion had the eyes of a killer; remorseless and unfeeling as he watched them.

As he waited for the dragon to respond he patted his belt, running over a silent checklist of the various items he carried. 'Aye.. All there. Now if only my comrades looked a tad more proffesional, I might be convinced this wa snt a suicide mission.' he thought to himself. This place disturbed him.. it reflected Azeroth as it was, as it would have been. And yet as he calmly gazed out at the lush vegetation around them.. he felt a sense of unease run down his spine. As natural as this place was, there was a surreal quality to it.. and something more. He could not place what that something was, and thus he christened it this 'Emerald Nightmare' of which he had been debriefed about.

Deleted
    Kanni slashed at the tree. She had been walking for hours now, but she felt like she was just walking in circles. Her instincts were raging, her sense of orientation shifting by the minute. But this time she knew she was going to get out...

She roared as she noticed the markings on a nearby tree. She had left them there not half an hour ago. She called out to the world the way Zen'tabra had taught her. However, she found no serenity. She was filled with a sickly feeling, the smell of decay and corruption. She could feel it seeping into her. Instantly she shut down the connection, but she could feel the stinging as the corruption slowly ran through her veins. She started biting her paws, drawing blood several times, but to no avail. The pain... the rage... the whispers...

Kanni dropped on all fours and was lost in the undergrowth.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ronacus quickly changed his thoughts and focus on their surroundings. I need to remember my training, he thought to himself angerly, I almost left them behind here. I have been gone from the Dream for too long. He then turned back looking at the portal expectantly and then back to this elf, Venarion. He was not the normal type of kal'dorei Ronacus was used too.

"Quite true, Venarion. We should be on our way in just a few. Once our other companions arrive." He felt a slight tug on his thoughts to the north, where his favorite lake was, but dismissed them as homesickness and continued to focus on the current mission.

Deleted
    South, got to keep moving south.. That is about the time Terin came back to the exact place she had started walking from. The sweat was dripping down into the decaying undergrowth beneath her. "N-n-no way.." Terin spoke in a depressing tone. This was impossible!! Terin was sure of it, of the impossibilty in what her eyes showed her. What was this manner of deception? The dragon knew she had been walking towards south all the time! How could she possibly have ended up where she had started?..
    Or hadn't she been walking south? Everything here was lying to her senses.The youngling had started to shake beyond her own control. What was going on?!
    Though, one thing Terin suddenly became sure of. There was something else moving in the wilderness. A low growling could be heard. Terin backed away, there was no doubt in her mind. The thing that had made the noise was a bear, and it did not sound happy.

Kalyssad looked around, and tried to orient himself.

"I have been in this parts of Azeroth ten millenia ago. But that was before the first Shattering. There are no landmarks to orient. As i understand it this is this world as it was created by the Master's kin. Without the mortals influences."

The Sayaad drew runes on the floor again.

Would you mind keeping the runes controlled?

Lahrein rose her hands and kept the runes from bursting.

"This energie is tremendous. We must be standing on a huge ley line. As I see it we have to options. Follow the ley lines direction;

The incubus let go of his Kris and it began to float above the runes like the needle of a compass. After some spinning the tip of the blade pointed west south-west.

"Or we try to find the nearest traces of corruption."

The demon made two short chants and the runes colors turned from a yellowish white to a greenish white. Also the tip of the weapon started pointing north-west. the demon grabbed his weapon and stomped on the runes. Lahrein lowered her hands.

What do you think?