Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Why does every character in this movie FAIL so hard at almost everything?

Poe: Gets his bombers killed. Plan to remove tracker fails. Gets demoted.
    Finn & Rose: Entire mission in Canto Blight fails. Plan to remove tracker fails.
    Rey: Fails to convince Luke to join her. Fails to convince Kylo to join her.
    Kylo: Takes over the First Order [omg a success]. Fails to convince Rey to join him. Fails to kill the Resistance.
    Leia & Holdo: Plan to escape on transports fails; most people killed. Suicide by lightspeed [success??].
    Luke: Fails to train Rey or keep her from going into a trap. Fails to catch the tree on fire. Fails to kill Kylo in a flashback, and fails to keep his trainees/temple. Fails to do anything worthwhile in a hologram fight with Kylo. Dies [wut?].
    Ackbar: Does nothing; then dies.
    Snoke: Does nothing; then dies.
    Hux: Gets trolled most of the film. Fails to take over First Order from Kylo.

I mean seriously the only real success in there is Kylo's half-baked last-minute plan to take over the First Order from Snoke, and even that is completely unbelievable because 1) Snoke can't possibly be that stupid and 2) No military would accept this 30 year old twerp as their supreme leader.

It's fine when characters fail their plans; diversions are what make movies entertaining. But damn, how you just have everyone fail at everything? It makes the story arc pointless.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha. Yeah, I guess you right. DJ was successful. The only person in the film.
    Because the message of the Movie is 'You don't matter, the big picture matters.' Which is a cool message, but doesn'T fit the Star Wars narrative at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Because the message of the Movie is 'You don't matter, the big picture matters.' Which is a cool message, but doesn'T fit the Star Wars narrative at all.
    What is the big picture? Disney wins?

At this point I think I want to see the Empire winning.

It's fine when characters fail their plans; diversions are what make movies entertaining. But damn, how you just have everyone fail at everything? It makes the story arc pointless.
    Honestly, I think this make me appreciate it more. One of the things I appreciated about it on first viewing was that victories had unforseen problems. In Star Wars we expect the good guys to win but they won ugly.

Reminds me of the Venture Bros.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Venture_Bros.#Failure
    Publick: "This show... If you'll permit me to get 'big picture', this show is actually all about failure. Even in the design, everything is supposed to be kinda the death of the space-age dream world. The death of the jet-age promises."

Hammer: "It's about the beauty of failure. It's about that failure happens to all of us...Every character is not only flawed, but sucks at what they do, and is beautiful at it and Jackson and I suck at what we do, and we try to be beautiful at it, and failure is how you get by...It shows that failure's funny, and it's beautiful and it's life, and it's okay, and it's all we can write because we are big...failures. (laughter)"

On a lighter note, found this on IMGur: https://imgur.com/gallery/uv9XY
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

If Rey is supposed to be powerful because the force needed someone light to rise because the dark was rising in Kylo and Snoke, then why wasn't a light user "created" sooner if Luke cut himself off from the Force? Also do force ghosts count in this tally

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbypro View Post
    What a bunch of crap. The death star shot is not impossible. Luke himself stated IN THE MOVIE that he could do it. Obi Wan's force ghost aided Luke to use the Force and successfully make that shot in an incredibly stressful situation.
    Right so you believe luke can do it just because he says he can? So why does he need the force then. Please stop trying to make excuses for the original trilogy. Also Rey is not a jedi. Shes just a force user. Something these new movies are exploring. The fact that Force users are in the galaxy yet are not Sith or Jedi. They are just people the force is using.

Also Rey got as much guidence as she needed at Maz's castle. Maz told her about the force there and how it works. Thats about as much as obiwan taught luke. You guys think we are TFA/TLJ apologists but your using our same arguments to give a pass to the originals.

The main thing both Maz and Obi wan tell both Luke and Rey is to let the force flow through you. You see it again when Luke tell Rey to reach out. Let the force flow through you. Thats all a jedi needs to have basic ability with the force. And just because Rey picked it up quick does not mean she "magically" did somthing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeek Daniels View Post
    Right so you believe luke can do it just because he says he can? So why does he need the force then. Please stop trying to make excuses for the original trilogy. Also Rey is not a jedi. Shes just a force user. Something these new movies are exploring. The fact that Force users are in the galaxy yet are not Sith or Jedi. They are just people the force is using.

Also Rey got as much guidence as she needed at Maz's castle. Maz told her about the force there and how it works. Thats about as much as obiwan taught luke. You guys think we are TFA/TLJ apologists but your using our same arguments to give a pass to the originals.

The main thing both Maz and Obi wan tell both Luke and Rey is to let the force flow through you. You see it again when Luke tell Rey to reach out. Let the force flow through you. Thats all a jedi needs to have basic ability with the force. And just because Rey picked it up quick does not mean she "magically" did somthing.
    Now you're trying to compare Maz to Obiwan. Please just stop embarrassing yourself. They are no way in any shape comparable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Luke is a Mary Sue, Anakin is Amary Sue, Rey is a bigger Mary Sue. Why the fuck do people care. Its space magic FFS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirbypro View Post
    Now you're trying to compare Maz to Obiwan. Please just stop embarrassing yourself. They are no way in any shape comparable.
    Why? Because you say so? Maz says shes seen the force work and we know shes got force powers. So why do you act like you know more than Maz? And yes Maz plays an important role in getting Rey to Luke as well as telling her about the Force. Just like Obiwan was important for luke to learn about the force and even to get luke to Yoda.

I dont know why your acting like this. Maybe go watch the movies again.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Luke is a Mary Sue, Anakin is Amary Sue, Rey is a bigger Mary Sue. Why the fuck do people care. Its space magic FFS.
    Because people are stupid and hypocritical.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    The Luke we used to know, I believe would have realized his responsibility he had when he set a temperamental child who has the Force to use loose upon the galaxy. But here, we have him turning his back on that responsibility.
    Your right Luke unleashed a monster upon the galaxy but did you watch the movie i watched?

Luke was faced with Killing his nephew who was in his early 20's at the time before his nephew had even done anything wrong. And its not even that he wanted to or was going to kill him. He reacted instinctively to the darkness he saw and ignited his saber but at the same time he realized that was not him and he wasnt going to kill him. But it was already too late. Kylo thinking luke was going to kill him turned on him and killed a bunch of students and went on to become the Kylo Ren we know today.

How does luke wake up and see the destruction he foresaw and then realizing he had a hand in creating it supposed to then go and kill his nephew after Leia had entrusted his care to him. How? HOW? How is he supposed to face leia after that? How can he justify killing his nephew when he put him in a corner and then took the corner away? Luke was soo torn by what had happened he shut himself off from the force and from everything? Why? Because he knew he couldnt kill Kylo, he knew he could not be turned, and he knew he couldnt face Leia again. So he hid himself away and went to do some soul searching to see if maybe the Jedi should end so that the galaxy wouldnt face this kind of menace again.

But obviously the movie happens and Rey, Leia, and Yoda convince luke that hey man even if you fail the next generation is there to learn from your failures and advance. So pick yourself up dude and help them advance. And thats what luke did. He reaccepted the force, confronted kylo, appologized to leia, and gave Rey the tools she needed to start a new jedi order.
    Last edited by Zeek Daniels; 2017-12-19 at 09:53 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    At this point I think I want to see the Empire winning.
    They alrdy did, there are 20 rebels left and the millennium falcon should now be low on fuel since that became a important plot in Star Wars from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Atleast Anakin lost at some points like losing his arm against Dooku, Getting captured in the robot factory, needed training to become a Jedi, Losing his fight against Obi-one and came close to death.

Same with Luke.

Rey was a week ago a Junk trader, now she is or is above a Jedi master.
    Why is this an issue? well at this point that 8 year old at the end is a Jedi knight in this new universe since in 2017 training is over rated.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2017-12-19 at 09:59 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Yeah totally this and it's one of my favorite things about this movie. It's such an overdone trope that the reckless Han Solo guy ends up saving the day, when in reality, it's actually the disciplined and reasonable who succeed. The reckless guy can be right from time to time, but its usually a matter of luck and not strategic genius.

However I also like that Leia knows when his recklessness and passion are useful, but it has to first check out with her larger strategy. Sometimes the guy who wants to "just go blow things up" is the right tool for the job.

As a stand alone film, I can't say this movie was all that great, but as a section of a larger story, I enjoyed the surprises.
    Leia did praise Poe and she wouldve kicked him out if she didnt think he was useful.

But yeah, is it really not obvious to some people that Poe was getting people killed?

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Why? Because you say so? Maz says shes seen the force work and we know shes got force powers. So why do you act like you know more than Maz? And yes Maz plays an important role in getting Rey to Luke as well as telling her about the Force. Just like Obiwan was important for luke to learn about the force and even to get luke to Yoda.
    The Star Wars universe says so. Have you even seen the originals and the prequels? Did you even see the TFA? Being force sensitive is completely different from having force powers. Obiwan is a Jedi Master. Maz is a force sensitive old pirate. Pretty much all Maz did was give Rey the lightsaber.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by frogger237 View Post
    If Rey is supposed to be powerful because the force needed someone light to rise because the dark was rising in Kylo and Snoke, then why wasn't a light user "created" sooner if Luke cut himself off from the Force? Also do force ghosts count in this tally
    Uh needed for what? Luke and Snoke countered each other. Then Kylo went dark, so then there were 2 dark side forces and 0 light (Luke peaced out), thats when we got Rey. As Kylo fell further into the dark, the force stirred in Rey.

Assuming it works like that.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Deleted
    Speaking as a fan of pretty much anything Star Wars (even the prequels, even if the acting and some dialogue wasn't the best, i still loved the story), i enjoyed the movie a lot.
    Can't wait to watch it again at home and enjoy it way more
    I'm happy to have left the theater with a big smile on my face, i think anyone who didn't enjoy episode 7 that still went to see this is kinda out of touch with today's cinema. If you didn't like 7 and now didn't like 8 do us all a favor and don't go watch the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    Uh needed for what? Luke and Snoke countered each other. Then Kylo went dark, so then there were 2 dark side forces and 0 light (Luke peaced out), thats when we got Rey. As Kylo fell further into the dark, the force stirred in Rey.

Assuming it works like that.
    Luke must a been out more then the 5 days or so the films take place so a new lightside shoulda been "created" sooner. Plus Snoke must have existed during the time of the originals which means Luke must have had god tier powers back then since he was 1 against 3. This new "lore" is pretty stupid, hopefully its just lies.

Quote Originally Posted by Tromage View Post
    They alrdy did, there are 20 rebels left and the millennium falcon should now be low on fuel since that became a important plot in Star Wars from now on.

Atleast Anakin lost at some points like losing his arm against Dooku, Getting captured in the robot factory, needed training to become a Jedi, Losing his fight against Obi-one and came close to death.

Same with Luke.

Rey was a week ago a Junk trader, now she is or is above a Jedi master.
    Why is this an issue? well at this point that 8 year old at the end is a Jedi knight in this new universe since in 2017 training is over rated.
    Anakin was fighting a sith lord. Yea he lost an arm. You know what Rey just thought she lost? A new friend. Lest you forget Finn just got his spine sliced open. Lets also not forget Kylo Ren is not a sith lord, yea hes strong but hes not a master. Also Dooku was not trying to subdue anakin and obi wan to turn them to the dark side. Kylo wanted Rey ALIVE. Dooku was also not gravely injured during the fight. Kylo was. Stop comparing apples to oranges.

Your interpretation of events is what is clouding your judgement. There is a reason JJ made chewies blaster to be all powerful THROUGHOUT the film. Look at what that thing was doing. And boom it hits kylo and hes still putting up a fight. Yet you people who hate the Rey/kylo fight at the end dont seem to care that hes dying at that moment. Noobs.

Deleted
    Anakin was fighting a sith lord. Yea he lost an arm. You know what Rey just thought she lost? A new friend. Lest you forget Finn just got his spine sliced open. Lets also not forget Kylo Ren is not a sith lord, yea hes strong but hes not a master.
    We talk about Anakin somebody that had +10 years training vs Rey without training and 1-3 day training at Luke just keep that in mind.
    Last edited by mmoc2b606a4969; 2017-12-19 at 10:26 PM.

1) Snoke can't possibly be that stupid and 2) No military would accept this 30 year old twerp as their supreme leader.
    I mean, the movie DID show us this, and then showed us that they have no fucking choice.
    Ren "The Supreme Leader is Dead"
    Hux "Long live the supreme leader". While being force punched in the dick.

Hux was going to kill Ren, had he acted a TAD faster he just may have. Then he got put in his place by a space wizard he has no hope to resist. The FO doesnt WANT to follow Ren, but they also dont want to be ripped to shreds by the force.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veredyn View Post
    On a lighter note, found this on IMGur: https://imgur.com/gallery/uv9XY
    Thats pretty good, nice find. Shit, he even got a family pet.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Deleted
    Its really weird how people are upset that Luke died when we all know theres a 99% chance he comes back in the next film as a force ghost.
    And do what? he was a coward and wanted nothing to do anymore with the Jedi.
    And we alrdy saw if he comes back he can just lightning kylo and kill him, at this point the force ghosts are over powered better leave them out the plot from now on.