Page 1 of 14
... LastLast

Why aren't you tanking?

Tanking is my favourite role and I play it on all classes that have that option but for some reason it's the least popular role (wich I'm fine with btw).
    I'm just curious as to why some of you rarely or never play tank. Especially since it's so much easier to get groups as a tank.

So, what's your reason?

My main is not of a class that has a tank spec.

Been considering rerolling to Bear tank at times.

Deleted
    Trying to do dungeons with braindead dps is a chore, more so than a braindead tank.

10+ Year Old Account
    It won't let me tick the tank box on my warlock when I look for a group.

My primary alt's main spec is Blood, and historically yeah I have done a decent amount of dungeon and LFR (and very minor raid) tanking, but I just haven't had time to keep up with an alt in Legion. Not even really enough time for my main.

But now that we're here in the home stretch I might dust her off.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Been main tanking from TBC to MOP. I may come back at some point

Because after a small while, like healing, it's boring. There's obviously room to play really well as a tank, but for me there's no feedback like dps numbers. They're just not interesting to me. The reactive style of a tank just isn't that fun. On top of that, i think every tank is boring playstyle wise. Have no idea how my wife plays a Guardian Druid every week.

I think there are probably plenty of players playing tanks, they just are not queing for random groups! ( I would be one of them )
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

10+ Year Old Account
    Because it's boring now that threat doesn't matter and tanking has devolved into "press active mitigation when DBM yells at you".

I also dislike tanks having such absurd amounts of selfhealing instead of being all about damage mitigation, tanks should have almost no self healing, that's what healers are for.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.

Despite my name, I don't tank. I don't feel confident leading a group through a dungeon I barely remember at just the right pace. I've always made a better "second in command," which is why I love healing.

My first character was a tank in TBC, only role I did. In Wrath I started raid tanking. Tanking Hard Modes with 2 fps is a lot of fun. lol Switched to Blood DK up until Mists when the great guild I was in fell apart. Then I switch to my monk, and focused on pvp for a bit, when I started missing raiding I went back to it, but as a dps. I don't really tank anymore( except for speed running dungeons) cause with my depression and what not, it's just a lot more focusing and work then I feel like doing.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

Because rogues don't have a tank spec. If they did, I would use it.

Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    It won't let me tick the tank box on my warlock when I look for a group.
    Also this.

don't like to lead.

10+ Year Old Account
    Been a mage since 2005, I made several attempts to play a tank. I even leveled up a tank during MoP, but kind of quit to play on my main again around WoD. I probably need more practice but I suck at it... not as much as I suck at healing but suck enough not to make anyone have to suffer me tanking for them lol.
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

I've mained a tank all of Legion. I can honestly say I don't think I could ever do a M+ as a different role, tanking them just feels so great. I kinda miss being DPS in raids once it's on farm though, not a lot you can really improve on as a tank once on farm, and I generally start focusing on just pumping out more DPS, which would have better returns if I were just a DPS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because I don't really run dungeons anymore unless I have to (All of the forced dungeoning Legion has I just want to take it easy) and because in the day when I did tank I got tired of asshole DPS rolling need on my upgrades.

So all in all I just gave up on tanking.

I'd be okay with tanking...maybe... but I usually feel the tank is also the leader, setting the pace and expected to know the dungeons. I'm simply not that good of a player, and I'm not going to hose 4+ other people because of it.

Skillsets aren't really transferable is a lot of the reason why I don't. I can learn all about what DPS have to do while healing, or what healers have to do while DPSing, but a lot of time what tanks do - when they taunt swap, what abilities they're affected by, etc - have no effect on the raid unless the tanks screw it up and wipe. I can't learn what the tanks are doing playing the other roles, and I don't want to go in blind.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

Too stressing, too much responsibility, requires perfect knowledge of the place and encounters. Also, I don't enjoy leading groups and having dps giving me trouble if they don't like my pace.

When I was first learning to tank, way back in the day, everyone I grouped with while trying to learn was such a bastard about how I wasn't immediately perfect that I just gave up so I didn't end up hating the game.

Learning curve can be way too high for what the community is willing to deal with, whereas as a DPS as long as I'm pushing some buttons and facing the correct direction I'm not going to get kicked out of the raid/dungeon.