Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    I already have all my Classic raiding and PvP achievements. (:
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED

Achievements doesn't really add anything to the game so I guess if people want them it's fine. I don't really see the point of achievements though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    I made no such claim or comparison. I was simply stating that Supression room and Time lapse will be a difficult challenge to tackle for the average pug (Assuming BWL pugs will happen).

In addion, Mage class call on Nefarian will be hillarious if said pug would make it that far
    you are setting up the answer to your own comments, though. If they find that a given raid content is too hard for pugs, they will make it easier until pugs can kill it, or make a special difficulty for pugs.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deficineiron View Post
    you are setting up the answer to your own comments, though. If they find that a given raid content is too hard for pugs, they will make it easier until pugs can kill it, or make a special difficulty for pugs.
    That holds true wotlk forward. If Blizzard truly want to re-launch classic as it was, then they wont apply that philosophy to classic.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

No thanks, will only get it the way.
    Mother pus bucket!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Storfan View Post
    That holds true wotlk forward. If Blizzard truly want to re-launch classic as it was, then they wont apply that philosophy to classic.
    right, your statement is correct within the parameters you set. Whatever blizzard or some blues may want, I don't think they relaunch classic as-was.

I am expecting something more along 3.0.2 lines for general outdoor questing difficult/speed, and I expect raid difficulties. by 3.0.2, even leveling, player power/survivability had increased immensely relative to a pretty static classic world (post-2.3).

we should cross our fingers we don't get phasing (except caer darrow) and linear questing (like the Icecrown zone..
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

The only thing I want from Classic Realms is the ability to copy my character over from there to live servers with all its gear intact. I wanna have a way to get all my tier 3 sets without having to hope and pray the BMAH has them.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabbyfists View Post
    The only thing I want from Classic Realms is the ability to copy my character over from there to live servers with all its gear intact. I wanna have a way to get all my tier 3 sets without having to hope and pray the BMAH has them.
    LOL hillarious.
    “Listen... Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.” – Dennis

I don't see any good reasons not to implement achievements and possibly have them feed into the live game for extra rewards there. I'd also like to see gear earned in Classic open up transmogs in live.

If Blizz is smart, there won't be any connection between Classic and Live. I understand the idea - if you do things in Classic, nothing changes in that version of the game, but you do get bragging rights in the current game. That's not inherently bad, but this would "force" people to play Classic to achieve things in Live. We know this would be the case, because we have similar things with Hearthstone and Heroes - play three HS games and get a mount in WoW, play a ton of matches in Heroes and get a mount or a pet in WoW. Plenty of people don't like the other games but still feel like it's necessary to play in order to get things in their game of choice. This isn't ideal.

Now, if it's something like get to level 20 in Classic and you get a Feat, or something, that wouldn't be terrible for anyone. 20 is fairly easily achieved, even in Classic. We're talking a few nights of play to hit 20 (not sure the count in hours, but less than 40 hours I'm sure). That's a lot, but it's not super intense. If it were a "Hit 60" or "Clear final bosses" - those would be terrible for Retail players, and just the fact that the achieves would exist would breed contempt.

The other thing to consider is what this would do to the Classic community. We're not strangers to the reality that a portion of our community is already toxic - it's the same for most communities, but hopefully with time those most-toxic parts will quiet down, chill out, or move on. If there was a "requirement" that retail players needed to play Classic for any Retail-rewards, can you imagine what chat would look like? The first few weeks of Classic will be rough - lots popping in without knowing how the game works complaining about "how shitty this game is". After level 10 most of those will lose interest and leave. If there are cross-game achievements, those people will stick around complaining for months on end.

No one wants that - on either side. Ideally, there will be zero cross-over and we can just carry on playing these similar, but unique and separate, games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinaquenon View Post
    If Blizz is smart, there won't be any connection between Classic and Live. I understand the idea - if you do things in Classic, nothing changes in that version of the game, but you do get bragging rights in the current game. That's not inherently bad, but this would "force" people to play Classic to achieve things in Live. We know this would be the case, because we have similar things with Hearthstone and Heroes - play three HS games and get a mount in WoW, play a ton of matches in Heroes and get a mount or a pet in WoW. Plenty of people don't like the other games but still feel like it's necessary to play in order to get things in their game of choice. This isn't ideal.

Now, if it's something like get to level 20 in Classic and you get a Feat, or something, that wouldn't be terrible for anyone. 20 is fairly easily achieved, even in Classic. We're talking a few nights of play to hit 20 (not sure the count in hours, but less than 40 hours I'm sure). That's a lot, but it's not super intense. If it were a "Hit 60" or "Clear final bosses" - those would be terrible for Retail players, and just the fact that the achieves would exist would breed contempt.

The other thing to consider is what this would do to the Classic community. We're not strangers to the reality that a portion of our community is already toxic - it's the same for most communities, but hopefully with time those most-toxic parts will quiet down, chill out, or move on. If there was a "requirement" that retail players needed to play Classic for any Retail-rewards, can you imagine what chat would look like? The first few weeks of Classic will be rough - lots popping in without knowing how the game works complaining about "how shitty this game is". After level 10 most of those will lose interest and leave. If there are cross-game achievements, those people will stick around complaining for months on end.

No one wants that - on either side. Ideally, there will be zero cross-over and we can just carry on playing these similar, but unique and separate, games.
    AB is smart but they prioritize other things - Revenue being key among them, Accessibility their watchword.

I see no reason why they would not include achievements in their classic version, if they think it will make them more money by attracting/retaining more players who want them.

Also, cross-over hooks between retail and classic are something they would be very foolish to avoid. they could do it subtly and keep the payoffs on retail, but I expect they will take the path of least resistance to most cross-over feedback between versions. This is Activision-Blizzard we are talking about. Why on earth wouldn't they?

If my point and underlying premise isn't clear - I will spell it out.

Activision-Blizzard will do anything and everything to as-was classic in terms of accessibility and faster feedback rewards/mechanisms if they deem (and the A in A/B WILL deem it so) it will make them more money. Making highly accessible games where all players see all the content is WHAT THEY DO.

blizzard denying concern about whether people play classic, saying it is part of video game history etc., is the fox talking to the gingerbread man. "I don't like gingerbread,' said the wily old Fox.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-03-12 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rinaquenon View Post

If Blizz can get people to continue playing Classic whilst bitching and moaning about how terrible it is and demanding changes, wouldn't that just bring it a bit closer to the authentic Vanilla experience?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeeGee View Post
    You wanted classic... but now you don't?

Or: "You think you do, but you don't."
    You must be a troll. It is clear that anyone advocating for achievements relating to classic was not "wanting classic". Too many retail players trying to sabotage the better game. Keep your game and give us ours. If you don't like ours than don't play it.

gotta say no to achievements in classic. not only were they not in vanilla, they also promote behavior that wouldnt be good for the game.

also no to anything connecting classic to current wow. that would also promote bad behavior from people that dont really want to be there in the first place.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    i do hope they allow you to pass over mogs, mounts, etc, this would be an AMAZING way for blizz to allow players to get things they couldent back then.
    While I can totally understand why a bunch of people would like this, it's a terrible idea.

What happens in Classic needs to stay in Classic. Sure, give WoW-proper players a FoS, pet or mount for trying out classic (reaching level 20 for example). But that's where they should draw the line.

People should be playing classic because they enjoy classic. If they're there because they're trying to complete their mount/mog/pet/title collection for WoW-proper it's just going to result in a shitty experience for everyone. Firstly it's going to be a horrible experience for those who are there even though they don't really care for it, but they'll likely also be a toxic influence for those who do want to be there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atazs View Post
    Ok so by no means im suggesting or even want achievements in classic itself but rather achievevements FOR playing classic in the main game such as reaching lvl 60, getting x amounts of gold etc...
    Again this would be only for the main game and not in classic itself
    Thoughts?
    Rather not, really. If anything, it would be null-reward achievements stating you visited the museum till you were 60. Doesn't really make sense to have them just to show you played the classic museum.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Lmao. If they actually put LFR in Blizz classic, everyone who's playing on PServers now will still be playing on PServers then
    You are more dense than an anvil if you think Blizz is going to tolerate private servers once classic is released. Private server owners / hosts will be getting their knee caps sued off. And before you even go and say "but but x country don't care, pservers safe". Every country cares about money. Every server can and will be shut down. You can bank on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xecks View Post
    gotta say no to achievements in classic. not only were they not in vanilla, they also promote behavior that wouldnt be good for the game.

also no to anything connecting classic to current wow. that would also promote bad behavior from people that dont really want to be there in the first place.
    LOL! What behavior? Linking achieves? Inspect existed. Meters existed. There is no way around getting checked if you should be in the raid or not based on gear alone.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    While I can totally understand why a bunch of people would like this, it's a terrible idea.

What happens in Classic needs to stay in Classic. Sure, give WoW-proper players a FoS, pet or mount for trying out classic (reaching level 20 for example). But that's where they should draw the line.

People should be playing classic because they enjoy classic. If they're there because they're trying to complete their mount/mog/pet/title collection for WoW-proper it's just going to result in a shitty experience for everyone. Firstly it's going to be a horrible experience for those who are there even though they don't really care for it, but they'll likely also be a toxic influence for those who do want to be there.
    Im just curious. Why does it bother you so much if I get a transmog from classic on my retail toon. The odds of you ever seeing anything on retail and know that it came from classic is slim to fucking none. If you did see something and knew it came from classic, you would get over it a few moments later.

I could see them totally going the Diablo seasonal route. After the "season" (nax40 + few months) date ends , you have the option of carrying your character over to the live servers before the classic server is reset.

Only one achievement needed “Play classic for more than 5 days of /played”.

Think 90% of people won’t catch that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonkaden View Post
    You are more dense than an anvil if you think Blizz is going to tolerate private servers once classic is released. Private server owners / hosts will be getting their knee caps sued off. And before you even go and say "but but x country don't care, pservers safe". Every country cares about money. Every server can and will be shut down. You can bank on that.
    Quoting for future reference

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty006 View Post
    No thanks.

Let's not have the good-old link [C'Thun] for invite!
    instead they gonnna check your armory and still wont get invinted
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..