Page 16 of 24 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post
    Same argument people use against graffiti applies here.
    "Not your building, no permission."
    Not your game, no permission to disrupt others who pay to play.
    ah the simple minded people comparing vl with rl..... that will work.....not.

Ha! Good. If they did that to a bank or something would've been a lot longer.
    ScriptKiddies need to learn that DDoSing is not something they should take lightly.

You can tell the people who work in IT versus those who don't quite easily in threads like these.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good. Fucker did this for months. Maybe this will show others that you shouldn't pull shit like this. Now we do this to Doxxers and Swatters next.

Quote Originally Posted by Castration View Post
    awww did the poor gamers lose hours of precious game time from their little life?
    What forum are you on? What time did you spend making an account and posting here?

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post
    anything that 1 person can do, to inconvenience MILLIONS of people is not just "eh a prank"
    So truck drivers who overtake each other on the motorway should be jailed? They're inconveniencing thousands of people each time it happens. Soon adds up. I'm sure millions are inconvenienced daily by a few hundred or thousand truck drivers.

At the end of the day, it's just inconvenience. If Blizz had to give everyone an extra day on their sub, then I can see the monetary loss side of things. The other charges he was facing were more serious.

Deleted
    that was 8 years ago wtf

Quote Originally Posted by Theprejudice View Post
    He wasn't just DDoS'ing Blizzard only
    Yea I read there were some other more serious charges that they dropped since he got a sentence for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    You have to look at this in context. He hackd into the FBI in 1997. He defrauded Ingram for 6.000.000$ and spent years in a Romanian jail for that. His DDos'ing of Blizzard was sort of as a repeat offender. I am not happy with the extradition though. The US has an atrocious human rights track record which should disqualify them for extradition.
    Now they're crimes that deserves jail time. Defrauding $6m? Charges dropped. DDoS WoW? 1 year in jail. Way to go America.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    So truck drivers who overtake each other on the motorway should be jailed? They're inconveniencing thousands of people each time it happens. Soon adds up. I'm sure millions are inconvenienced daily by a few hundred or thousand truck drivers.

At the end of the day, it's just inconvenience. If Blizz had to give everyone an extra day on their sub, then I can see the monetary loss side of things. The other charges he was facing were more serious.
    those truck drives are not all one person, and are not doing it to intentionally cause pile ups.

Now if a truck driver parked 5 trucks on a road to block the highway for a few hours would be in alot of trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalBany View Post
    this is ridiculous
    now the guy will probably come out with hiv or hanghimself cause of a stupid joke
    Good, then the world will become a slightly better place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karoz View Post
    that was 8 years ago wtf
    Takes a while to get people extradited.

Punishment fits the crime. Hope we see more of this. I don't wish the people suffering or death or whatever, I want them to be punished and for the message to be clear to people who think this is 'funny' or in any way a good idea.

Hurting legitimate business in this way is not a 'prank'. It's a large-scale cyber attack, and if anything, they were being generous in how this was handled. If they just slapped his wrist and moved on, they'd do it again. Hell, this guy would probably do it again. We've been DDOS free for a while, and it's a breath of fresh air.

"Mateias, using his in-game avatar, often participated in collaborative events, such as 'raids' where players joined forces to meet game objectives and were rewarded with virtual proceeds or in-game advantages," explained the Department of Justice in a press release.

Hmmm. That's intriguing! Tell me more.

it's surprising to me that there was an extradition over something so small.

extraditions are pretty rare, right?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    In other words when you dream that you stole my car you get punished right? thats how bad your analogy is....

shitty ones pressured by the us like romania, uk, new zealand....

rolfmao. if you have no clue what u r talking about, just dont say a thing?
    Not even close. Who do you think has to handle all the traffic being sent to the end destination? Hint: Every fucking router on the way there.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Essentia@Cho'gall of Inebriated Raiding.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ssentia/simple
    http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/us/Tharkkun-1222

Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Apparently it's cause of some disagreement. I'm not the only one in this thread arguing that the punishment doesn't fit the crime. Your opinion is welcome, but don't make it out to be a public fact. It's just an opinion. Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one, and everyone thinks the others stink.
    While I have not released my opinion on this matter, unlike you do enthusiastically, this post is the most funny, because apparently you think your ass doesn't stink. And this post has the smell of your ass all over it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Polarthief View Post
    So are you fine with a robber robbing places because their security was shit? Same thing. Only difference is this guy didn't get money, but he still took away potential money from blizzard.
    Of course it's wrong to engage in robbery. That doesn't mean that companies get a free pass to not improve their security systems, online or otherwise. For example, while it's wrong to sleaze money by means of fake online banking (and individuals engaging in such practice should evidently spend some time in prison), that doesn't exempt banks from ensuring that such "deeds" are very hard to achieve in the first place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kraner View Post
    Wrong comparison. If you want to compare it to "mail" a fair comparison is someone going on and harassing the mailman so he can't deliver the mail.
    In that case, my dog was dosing the paperboy by fetching the paper each time he tried to deliver it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Drudatz View Post
    ah the simple minded people comparing vl with rl..... that will work.....not.
    Wrong. The fact you are incapable of equating a legitimately illegal activity (DDoS) which affects paying subscribers... as a real thing... is quite mind boggling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracked View Post
    Let's not. Companies need to get better at protecting their infrastructure, the society doesn't need to get better at punishing individuals not harmful to it. I guess we should also jail anyone who sends too much mail causing your package to be delayed by a few days, by your standards.
    What are you smoking..? How is some sending mail even remotely the same as someone intentionally fucking up the servers of an international corporation?

To use an actually relevant example instead of wherever you pulled that out of, should we then not punish thieves for robbing people, and instead put the onus back onto the homeowners and ensure they correctly fortify their dwellings to ensure no intruder could possibly penetrate their defenses? Ridiculous, and you know it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quite happy with the jail sentence to be honest. The best thing about it is that it's so easy to avoid. All you have to do to avoid jailtime in this instance is, wait for it, don't DDOS! It's not like there's any excuse either. "Shit guys, I was forced into a life of petty thievery to support my 15 illegitimate children who were starving on the streets". Try to find a comparable excuse for DDOSing.

Quote Originally Posted by Gavll View Post
    Yea I read there were some other more serious charges that they dropped since he got a sentence for this.

- - - Updated - - -

Now they're crimes that deserves jail time. Defrauding $6m? Charges dropped. DDoS WoW? 1 year in jail. Way to go America.
    And by 'charges dropped' you mean a 6 figure fine and 6 years Romanian jail time, right?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    it's surprising to me that there was an extradition over something so small.

extraditions are pretty rare, right?
    You would think so. Remember that Romania is one of the more corrupt places of the EU.