Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Rezzing NElves to serve as Dark Rangers has basically killed all credibility...

Seriously. It honestly boggles my mind that Blizzard could allow something that *SO FUNDAMENTALLY* goes against the series' own lore. It is basically proof-positive that there is no "lore guy" working at Blizzard. It's one thing to say "Okay, Forsaken are a little more emotional or prone to outbursts than when they were alive", but with the "Night Elf Dark Rangers", the writers are literally changing EVERYTHING that we know about undeath.

This isn't "advancing the story", or is it "fleshing things out". It's retconning quite literally *everything* that has happened since WC3's Frozen Throne expansion. The Helm of Dominion is the *ONLY* means of controlling sentient undead. This one quest-chain is fundamentally undermining most of WoW's lore, and for no better reason than "making Sylvanas look even *more* edgy!".

This whole thing is just fucking dumb. These aren't "ancient Highborne corpses", these are Night Elves that *JUST* saw their home destroyed and loved ones killed, were killed themselves, and are now IMMEDIATELY joining forces with the person behind ALL of those events.

Where the hell is the quality-control? That "lore guy" we were told works that Blizzard?

It shouldn't have been a thing indeed, though it happened. The logic they're going with is that the night elves have been traumatized so much by Sylvanas that they developed a Warcraft-styled Stockholmish syndrome.

It's been in lore since Cata and night elves trying to join the force that is going to destroy their species are constant, from the Twilight's Hammer to the Legion, just like with any other race.

The asspain over this couldn't be more overblown if they tried, especially since now you need to kill literally thirty odd mobs to complete a 0/10 mob kill quest because the other twenty turn into wisps and attack me as I'm trying to make them serve the one who genocided their species, the uncooperative bitches.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

So you’ve never heard of Stockholm syndrome? Or people that are legitimately crazy? The very very tiny minority of night elves were raised by Sylvanas. The rest refused. The night elves that were raised felt betrayed by their leaders and their own goddess. You keep talking trash about the writers but you and everyone else who complains about this non stop doesn’t even realize that maybe the problem is you, the player that has such a narrow and shallow way of looking at things that anything that dares to be different is “bad writing.”
    change can't wait.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Undeath changes a persons mental psyche.

Besides, it’s not the first time a Night Elf has betrayed their own kind to those who aim to eradicate them.

Quote Originally Posted by Elune-life-nature View Post
    Did you expect anything different from a Sylvanas fan fiction?
    Pretty much this.

I wouldn't really mind the retcon to Night Elves being undead if it had been clear their will had been bent and broken or something.

The idea of them siding with Sylvanas and the Forsaken becuase Elune and Tyrande couldn't save them from Sylvanas and the Forsaken murdering and torturing them is just bad comedy.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Something, something, volatile emotions, dodge, weave, Lich Queen is so misunderstood, something, something, easily manipulated into attacking family/friends but not their killers, something, something...
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/

It shouldn't be possible for Val'kyr to raise non-humans without the Lich Kings power according to a Silverpine quest (and confirmed by Dave Kosak). There is no reason why that would have changed but Blizzard clearly doesn't take their lore serious.
    "I guess only blood elves feel like the odd man out for the Horde. I hope that we've engineered that into it as deftly as we could, but you know, it's the equivalent of a bunch of white chicks hanging out with goblin or tauren. It's weird." -- Chris Metzen

What benefit exactly come from raising two garbage tier characters that aren't even sidekicks by lore screentime standards? They will die anyways probally due to the far more powerful Alliance Warfront Commanders at the end of the Expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    Seriously. It honestly boggles my mind that Blizzard could allow something that *SO FUNDAMENTALLY* goes against the series' own lore. It is basically proof-positive that there is no "lore guy" working at Blizzard. It's one thing to say "Okay, Forsaken are a little more emotional or prone to outbursts than when they were alive", but with the "Night Elf Dark Rangers", the writers are literally changing EVERYTHING that we know about undeath.

This isn't "advancing the story", or is it "fleshing things out". It's retconning quite literally *everything* that has happened since WC3's Frozen Throne expansion. The Helm of Dominion is the *ONLY* means of controlling sentient undead. This one quest-chain is fundamentally undermining most of WoW's lore, and for no better reason than "making Sylvanas look even *more* edgy!".

This whole thing is just fucking dumb. These aren't "ancient Highborne corpses", these are Night Elves that *JUST* saw their home destroyed and loved ones killed, were killed themselves, and are now IMMEDIATELY joining forces with the person behind ALL of those events.

Where the hell is the quality-control? That "lore guy" we were told works that Blizzard?
    If the vision of "hell" sylvanas had is what lies for souls in the afterlife , then the rangers would easily accept their return to the world of the living.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    Pretty much this.

I wouldn't really mind the retcon to Night Elves being undead if it had been clear their will had been bent and broken or something.

The idea of them siding with Sylvanas and the Forsaken becuase Elune and Tyrande couldn't save them from Sylvanas and the Forsaken murdering and torturing them is just bad comedy.
    again , yes they might forsake Elune exactly because if that hell is true she didn't act to save all of the innocents.

Considering Dark Ranger is the next Hero Class which will probably include Forsaken (New Generation) and Human (like Nathanos) as race options, I see it as them fitting that into the plot as preparation for the Class.

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    again , yes they might forsake Elune exactly because if that hell is true she didn't act to save all of the innocents.
    There's a difference between forsaking Elune for not having been able to save your people from genocide, and siding with and aiding the person who committed said genocide.

"All Elune could do was to let people sleep so the children and elderly wouldn't be in pain when they were burnt to death... so I'm going to ally myself with the person who burnt all of the children and innocents to death instead to get back at her." Even Stockholm syndrome doesn't excuse the nonsensical logic there.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

5+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much this.

They'll prolly put that in a novel/comic (like the War of Thorns) bc for some reason they refuse to give context in game.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    If the vision of "hell" sylvanas had is what lies for souls in the afterlife , then the rangers would easily accept their return to the world of the living.
    Night-Elves souls become wisps after they die. Sylvanas and Arthas are special cases since their souls were torn by Frostmourne so their souls don't seem to go to the shadowlands but to "the endless void, the dark, unknown realm of anguish" as Sylvanas puts it.

Her initial afterlife seemed quite pleasant:

"Sylvanas Windrunner drifts in a sea of comfort, physical sensations replaced by the purity of emotion. She can grasp bliss, see joy, hear peace. This is the afterlife, her destiny. The eternal sea in which she found herself after she fell defending Silvermoon. She belongs here. With each recollection, her memory of this place palls. The sound grows distant; the warmth, cooler. The vision takes on the pallor of a half-remembered dream. But with horrific clarity, the memory always ends the same: Sylvanas's spirit is wrenched away. The pain is so intense it leaves her soul forever torn. The grinning face of Arthas Menethil, with his lopsided smile and dead eyes, leers at her as he pulls her back into the world. Violates her. His laughter—that hollow laugh—the memory of it makes her skin crawl!" -- Edge of Night
    "I guess only blood elves feel like the odd man out for the Horde. I hope that we've engineered that into it as deftly as we could, but you know, it's the equivalent of a bunch of white chicks hanging out with goblin or tauren. It's weird." -- Chris Metzen

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    Considering Dark Ranger is the next Hero Class which will probably include Forsaken (New Generation) and Human (like Nathanos) as race options, I see it as them fitting that into the plot as preparation for the Class.
    Sounds more like Night Elves and Forsaken will be Dark Rangers?

Also, isn't being raised in undeath generally cause the person raised to almost always immediately have an undying devotion to the Dark Lady? Other than the (now mostly) defunct Desolate Council? The ones that chose not to are just put to death. So maybe this is the case? Eventually, by the end of BfA, they break away and decide to seek refuge with Tyrande or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Super Dickmann View Post
    It's been in lore since Cata and night elves trying to join the force that is going to destroy their species are constant, from the Twilight's Hammer to the Legion, just like with any other race.

The asspain over this couldn't be more overblown if they tried, especially since now you need to kill literally thirty odd mobs to complete a 0/10 mob kill quest because the other twenty turn into wisps and attack me as I'm trying to make them serve the one who genocided their species, the uncooperative bitches.
    learn to make better baits
    Quote Originally Posted by lunchbox2042 View Post
    Ahh, WoW, the game that gives cosplayers a reason to dress up like medieval fantasy hookers.

There's a difference between forsaking Elune for not having been able to save your people from genocide, and siding with and aiding the person who committed said genocide.

"All Elune could do was to let people sleep so the children and elderly wouldn't be in pain when they were burnt to death... so I'm going to ally myself with the person who burnt all of the children and innocents to death instead to get back at her." Even Stockholm syndrome doesn't excuse the nonsensical logic there.
    That's the crux of the issue, really. Forsaking Elune? Fine. Siding with the assholes that made them forsake Her in the first place? That's just retarded. Not without the whole lolcorruption excuse that exists for other traitors such as the ones who would become Satyrs.

Plus the whole deal about Val'kyr having their restrictions conveniently lifted when it suits the plot and being able to raise NEs when them not being able to was a plot point in Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Coldfrostzero View Post
    Sounds more like Night Elves and Forsaken will be Dark Rangers?

Also, isn't being raised in undeath generally cause the person raised to almost always immediately have an undying devotion to the Dark Lady? Other than the (now mostly) defunct Desolate Council? The ones that chose not to are just put to death. So maybe this is the case? Eventually, by the end of BfA, they break away and decide to seek refuge with Tyrande or something?
    Something big is going to happen, my guess is a Sylvanas is going to find a way to open a permanent rift to the Shadowlands and she is going to try and take it over with her Dark Rangers and my guess is some are going rebel against her wanting to disrupt the natural order or something like that.

@Zexism

Got you to reply, didn't I?

Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    That's the crux of the issue, really. Forsaking Elune? Fine. Siding with the assholes that made them forsake Her in the first place? That's just retarded. Not without the whole lolcorruption excuse that exists for other traitors such as the ones who would become Satyrs.

Plus the whole deal about Val'kyr having their restrictions conveniently lifted when it suits the plot and being able to raise NEs when them not being able to was a plot point in Cataclysm.
    Kosak himself said they could overrule the undeath exemption like the Lich King could do with the night elves and worgen if/when they grew in power. If they work anything like the Lich King works in Chronicle, then having raised as many as they have by that point should give them a fair powerboost. We know from Mists that Sylvanas can raise undead blood elves at least.

As for Satyrs, the Highborne, Twilight Cultists and so on, again, all of them are siding with the forces that tried to wipe them out, there is nothing new about any of this except the degree of rectal pain because it's Sylvanas doing it, especially now that it flat out shows you that it has a sub 50% success rate and the only named victims are a character who's mental state at time of death was meant to set this up and a cipher with no personality.

For a more detailed take on this, the official forums had a good topic on it:
    https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wo...ht-elves/21816
    Last edited by Super Dickmann; 2018-12-04 at 10:35 PM.
    Dickmann's Law: As a discussion on the Lore forums becomes longer, the probability of the topic derailing to become about Sylvanas approaches 1.

Tinkers will be the next Class confirmed.

The Unstoppable Force Friendlyimmolation's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    The Dreadfort, or Korriban. You never know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfurion View Post
    It shouldn't be possible for Val'kyr to raise non-humans without the Lich Kings power according to a Silverpine quest (and confirmed by Dave Kosak). There is no reason why that would have changed but Blizzard clearly doesn't take their lore serious.
    They said that Sylvanas couldn't do it at the start, but that the pact was making her and the Val'kyr both grow in power.
    Quote Originally Posted by WoWKnight65 View Post
    That's same excuse from you and so many others on this website and your right some of threads do bully high elf fans to a point where they might end up losing their minds to a point of a mass shooting.
    Holy shit lol