I just finished the Stormblood 4.56 MSQ and got to 365 ilv and I got to say FF14 does a great job telling a story. I Can't wait for next expansion.

I only have a dragoon at 70. I'll have to figure out how to effectively level alt jobs now and also get my professions up.
    Last edited by GreenJesus; 2019-05-23 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    I think the difference between Japanese Paladins and Western Paladins isn't so much mechanics as it is world-building. Mechanics-wise, they're both knights with some holy magic, heals, etc.

A Western paladin, though, has a religious purpose. Her first loyalty is to her god or religion, and is usually taking action in service of that. Japanese Paladins tend to have a secular purpose. For example, in FFXIV, the Paladins are dedicated to the Ul'dah royal family.

The player PLD is more of paladin, not so much because of the class, but because she is the Warrior of Light, in service to Hydaelyn. That combination (PLD + WoL) makes it much more like the Western paladin, compared to the NPC paladins we see.

In my opinion, this is also the cause of a lot of the dissonance in the PLD job quests. They just don't feel "paladin-like", compared to the MSQ.
    The PLD intro quest basically says you're a secular paladin, but instead of being specific to Ul'dah, you're a "free" paladin who wanders the world serving the people, rather than a specific city-state. I don't remember any mention of Hydaelyn.

Agreed on the PLD quests though, they don't feel at all what I would expect a Paladin/ Holy Knight type of quest to feel. Always feels more like Highlander or would fit better with the Gladiator class than a Paladin.

5+ Year Old Account
    I find that a lot of the class/job quests are very hit and miss.

ROG/NIN has been pretty consistently great across the board in my opinion. DRK is very solid too.

WAR is an absolute joke and I wish they'd keep that sort of nonsense confined to the Hildibrand quest chain.

MCH was kind of disappointing, since I tire of the 'aReN't TrAdItIoNaL PeOpLe BaD???' tropes. Yawn.

SMN had been consistently decent.

RDM and BLU were solid too.

I don't recall the rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Graeham II View Post
    WAR is an absolute joke and I wish they'd keep that sort of nonsense confined to the Hildibrand quest chain.
    To each their own but I find the WAR quests awesome, I hope they don't change anything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    I just finished the Stormblood 4.56 MSQ and got to 365 ilv and I got to say FF14 does a great job telling a story. I Can't wait for next expansion.

I only have a dragoon at 70. I'll have to figure out how to effectively level alt jobs now and also get my professions up.
    Lol I am literally at the exact same point. Just hit 365 and finished the MSQ.

I loved Stormblood's story. I know some people say they liked Heavensward's more, but honestly they are both so high quality that it's kinda just based on what kind of story you prefer. Also Shadowbringers story seems so incredibly interesting to me. I can't wait for July 2nd even though I doubt I'll have much time to play.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenJesus View Post
    Leveling roulettes to PotD for DPS.

Leveling roulettes to Highest level dungeon or potd to break it up some for heals or tanks.

Replace PotD with heaven on high for 61+

5+ Year Old Account
    Stormblood suffered from being split over two completely different continents. I'd have taken more of Hingashi/Othard over Ala Mhigo which really didn't deserve three separate zones when it is little different to Ul'dah.

I still enjoyed the expansion itself though. Heavensward was solid too and I have high hopes for Shadowbringers - especially now that we know it'll take place mostly in the same region.

Stormblood suffered from being split over two completely different continents. I'd have taken more of Hingashi/Othard over Ala Mhigo which really didn't deserve three separate zones when it is little different to Ul'dah.
    Weird take on the expansion since most people who aren't happy with Stormblood's story is because of the opposite, with Ala Mhigo being overshadowed by Doma's storyline.

5+ Year Old Account
    I never cared much for Ala Mhigo myself. It's people were always portrayed as selfish and violent and the last minute effort to redeem them felt forced.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    50 to 100 dungeons per item and only 1 month time, did they go completely retarded or sth?!
    Considering the selection, I assume they want people to queue into the low level dungeons to push potential new comers through or the ARR 24m cause no one queues for that.
    That said... either increase rewards or tamper down cost, cause god damn that'd be annoying to those whom haven't played before and don't have those items.

5+ Year Old Account
    I suspect they made the cost for the items so high due to people throwing a fit on the official forum over the 1.0 earrings being rewarded during the anniversary event for 'minimal effort'. Just a hunch. >_<

I find that a lot of the class/job quests are very hit and miss.

ROG/NIN has been pretty consistently great across the board in my opinion. DRK is very solid too.

MCH was kind of disappointing, since I tire of the 'aReN't TrAdItIoNaL PeOpLe BaD???' tropes. Yawn.

SMN had been consistently decent.

RDM and BLU were solid too.

I don't recall the rest.
    I agree with this.

The ones that stood out to me as "good" were Summoner, Ninja, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Dark Knight, and Samurai.

The ones that stood out as "bad" or just downright wtf? were Warrior, Machinist, Paladin, and Bard

The rest I don't even remember enough to say one way or the other, which is in and of itself pretty disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    The PLD intro quest basically says you're a secular paladin, but instead of being specific to Ul'dah, you're a "free" paladin who wanders the world serving the people, rather than a specific city-state. I don't remember any mention of Hydaelyn.
    That's right, but let me explain my point a bit more. As a PLD, you're basically a wandering secular knight with holy magic. As the WoL, you're the champion of Hydaelyn. When you combine those two separate aspects, the total package feels very much like a Western Paladin.

5+ Year Old Account
    I agree with this.

The ones that stood out to me as "good" were Summoner, Ninja, Red Mage, Blue Mage, Dark Knight, and Samurai.

The ones that stood out as "bad" or just downright wtf? were Warrior, Machinist, Paladin, and Bard

The rest I don't even remember enough to say one way or the other, which is in and of itself pretty disappointing.
    Oh, I forgot about SAM. That was pretty neat too!

I think DNC and GUN will be fairly strong story wise. Hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    That's right, but let me explain my point a bit more. As a PLD, you're basically a wandering secular knight with holy magic. As the WoL, you're the champion of Hydaelyn. When you combine those two separate aspects, the total package feels very much like a Western Paladin.
    True. I guess I just always separate the WoL bits from the class bits, since the class isn't tied directly to the MSQ and WoL stuff. Your view makes sense though.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, I forgot about SAM. That was pretty neat too!

I think DNC and GUN will be fairly strong story wise. Hopefully.
    Yeah lets hope. Won't be a big deal for me either way though. I play AST and that story is meh.

So long as the game play is fun I'll stick with it. I hope the Dancer game play is fun, I'm certainly drawn to the aesthetic, and I'm sure the story will be suitably flashy and thematically appropriate. GUN...I have no idea, I'm just excited to get something new =)

10+ Year Old Account
    On the other non-mentioned job quests that I've done, DRG was... interesting I'd say. I didn't really care for it but the level 70 quest was amazing. SCH I'm having trouble thinking of how I would describe it. Like it wasn't great but I also did get a little attached to Setoto. If anything I'm really interested how they'll continue the SCH story since it's almost always been about trying to find a cure for the Nymian plague.

10+ Year Old Account
    Masked Carnival is a super easy and decently fun way to earn the seals needed to buy those. Only works for ARR zones though.
    Maps for the others don't make sense anyway b/c flight speed is not affected. Don't understand why they are even in game.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    To each their own but I find the WAR quests awesome, I hope they don't change anything.
    I like it that the "rawr beast impulse" class get story with a little hilarity.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, Live Letter delayed due to sound issues...

Well, Live Letter delayed due to sound issues...
    someone probably kicked out a cable :P

Holy shit Yoshi looks like he is seething, i've not seen a big company fuck up a stream this bad in years.