10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thekri View Post
    Georgia will have the most consequential ballots in the nation in 2020
    Trump better hope hurricanes don't hit Atlanta. If he pulls on Atlanta what W did to New Orleans, he loses the state.

To be fair, I think we all hope hurricanes don't hit anyone. Trump just has extra incentive.

This isn't about immigrants though, that is the weird part. This is about US Soldiers and Diplomats. Not immigrant ones, all of them. Which both tend to be fairly conservative. There is no advantage to this for anyone.
    Maybe they're worried about them marrying abroad? Or about "dirty foreigners" knocking boots with superior American men and trying to bring their babies over? I dunno. I agree this is completely stupid and fucked up and utterly indefensible, I'm just fishing for a possible explanation for this sort of bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    A highly disgruntled constituent of Lindsey Graham.
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Trump better hope hurricanes don't hit Atlanta. If he pulls on Atlanta what W did to New Orleans, he loses the state.

To be fair, I think we all hope hurricanes don't hit anyone. Trump just has extra incentive.
    Hurricanes don't really hit Atlanta. I live there, we are too far from the coast. We mostly get the really nasty thunderstorms after they break up. If it is a really big one then it might be a tropical storm when it reaches us.

Unfortunately I am moving to South Carolina before the election, so I won't be able to vote in Georgia. At least I can vote against Lindsey Graham for being a spineless coward.

10+ Year Old Account
    *snip*
    and other nations see this "iran, NK, hell, Mexico and Canada" and so in other "deals" to say, to decide trade, or having them change their military policy, why would they trust Trump themselves when they see how he treats others

10+ Year Old Account
    NBC News reports that the Trump administration is set to negotiate a deal with the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan.

"That sounds...familiar."

It should. That's the name the Taliban used back when they ran the place, pre-9/11. By naming the country thusly, Trump would be conceding the Taliban are the rightful government.

-- former Pakistan ambassador to the US

For those who don't remember, the Taliban was basically the Afghani government when 9/11 happened. We demanded to go in and get Osama bin Laden. They refused. There is only one response to that.

(reads above post)

Sorry, apparently there's a second: telling them they're in charge, while blaming Democratic lawmakers for handwaving 9/11.
    This is a perfect example of painting ourselves into the corner using our own feces to paint. Remember when Trump decried the Iran deal as the worst deal ever made? Well it won't hold a candle to the humiliation that this deal with the Taliban is shaping up to be. Trump desperately wants out of Afghanistan, and it is becoming increasingly obvious he is pressuring the negotiating team to give the Taliban whatever they want to make that happen. The fact that we are negotiating with them at all should outrage his base if they had any concept of self awareness, these are literal terrorists we are dealing with here.

Many media sources have been reporting the current sticking point in negotiations is the presence of a US counter-terrorism force in Afghanistan after the deal is made. Which means we already agreed to withdraw everyone else, which makes me really fucking wonder what the hell we are getting out of this to give them literally everything. I don't know what the Taliban has to offer besides vague promises of being good.

Oh, and the Government of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan, IE the thing we installed to pretend that Afghanistan is a democracy now, is somehow not a part of these negotiations at all, has been holding completely separate negotiations with the Taliban that are sponsored by the Russians of all people, and have vigorously protested the very existence of the US-Taliban negotiations, because we don't own Afghanistan. Oh, and they don't really like Trump off hand threatening to kill ten million of their people either.

While I am quite well documented of loathing Obama's foreign policy on here, it doesn't hold a candle to this smoking disaster. If it wasn't for Brexit I would say this was the most mismanaged government policy of this decade.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Trump admin decides the babies of US armed forces born overseas aren’t automatically US citizens.

https://taskandpurpose.com/military-...ad-citizenship

Yeah, this guy loves the military.
    The kid has to have a visa? Seriously? This is even dumber then I thought at first glance. A US service member will have to get his/her own child a visa to bring that child into the United States. Which begs the question, what if they don't? Are they going to deport the kid? More then half the time this kids come home on Air Force planes anyway, and those don't go through customs. How are they going to enforce this?

The law is stupidly inconsistent with itself as well, as US service members do not need passports for foreign travel on official orders. As such, they are not legally traveling. All overseas bases are considered sovereign US territory, as are embassies. If we revoke that status, that means we lose jurisdiction over our own bases and embassies. If we don't, and make this one weird exception, then that can leave a child potentially stateless, as the host nation is very unlikely to grant a visa to a child they don't consider theirs (ESPECIALLY, if that nation doesn't have birthright citizenship).

This is going to screw over some American's very hard. That visa is going to be almost impossible to get in some cases, leaving you with a kid that legally isn't allowed in any country. Again, what the fuck is this policy? How is this a thing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by D Luniz View Post
    why would they trust Trump themselves when they see how he treats others
    I think that ship has sailed. I think Macron's still surprised G7 didn't burst into flames.

Also this happened in 2018:

And this happened in 2019:

https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...-really-afraid

Man, remember when sitting presidents didn't behave like children and mock primary candidates from the opposing party for withdrawing from the election?

Those were good times, when people acted like respectable, professional, civil, adults.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Those were good times.
    Doesn't this increase the chance that the Democrats will get the Senate? I'm not sure this is something Donnie Dum-Dum Jr. should cheer about.

Trump proving he's a classy guy.

Its been 5 years but I think America has finally recovered from the greatest political scandal ever:

5th Anniversary of Obama's Tan Suit

Last edited by akris15; 2019-08-28 at 11:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by akris15 View Post
    5th Anniversary of Obama's Tan Suit
    Not to be confused, of course, with 14 monthaversary since McConnell confirmed flip on SCOTUS vacancies while wearing a tan suit wanna see the video?

Also, with the House coming back into session, the House Appropriations Committee is looking at withholding Dept of the Interior funding/jobs, since they announced plans to split up their DC offices and decentralize despite Congressional approval being required and not given.

10+ Year Old Account
    The other option is send their pregnant wives home before it becomes dangerous to fly. In which case she’s without her spouse during the end of the pregnancy and birth. It’s a horrendous policy.
    And thing I still can't wrap my head around is why. It doesn't troll the libs, it doesn't hurt minorities, it doesn't help national security, it doesn't strengthen immigration policies, it doesn't do anything helpful except force military families to go through a paperwork nightmare. I just don't get the rationality of breaking something that was working fine to hurt people that there is no reason to hurt. I don't know the motive.

And thing I still can't wrap my head around is why. It doesn't troll the libs, it doesn't hurt minorities, it doesn't help national security, it doesn't strengthen immigration policies, it doesn't do anything helpful except force military families to go through a paperwork nightmare. I just don't get the rationality of breaking something that was working fine to hurt people that there is no reason to hurt. I don't know the motive.
    My only guess is that they think it'll save money by making it so military families stay back in the states. Other than that I have no fucking clue.

WTF that's just cruel.

The cruelties the point.

10+ Year Old Account
    He’s trying to dismantle birthright citizenship and this is step 1.
    He might take it too far and get Barron Trump deported...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Did you try being gratitiously cruel?

Could this be challenged on Courts?
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account

If I'm remembering right, most of the districts around Atlanta voted Abrams. So it wouldn't affect Trump's standing with them too much. It's the rest of this hick state that's the problem. A Cat 5 could hit and Trump could be handing out water wings, these people wouldn't care. They'd just blame FEMA....

He’s trying to dismantle birthright citizenship and this is step 1.
    Looks like he moved on to step 2.

The Trump administration said Wednesday that the children of some U.S. military members and government employees working overseas will no longer automatically be considered United States citizens.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) issued a policy that in some cases rescinds previous guidance stating that children of U.S. service members and other government employees abroad are considered “residing in the United States” and automatically given citizenship under a section of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA).
    https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...rseas-will-not