I love this show, i was so skeptical of it when i seen netflix's casting, but im impressed. Aside from little peeves the show does a good job of representing the source material.

My only peeves are
    -The medallion could have been better looking like the one from the games and could have vibrated when magical things or people were near

-dye triss'hair a little more red

-and for the love of god add in "time ago" when it does flashbacks because omfg it was hard to keep up with.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    You very obviously have zero idea what racism actually is.
    ye and thats the typical no brain answer from them. have you even read the last pages? its mostly critic against Triss because of her skin color and nothing else. thats exactly racist and anyway very childish.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've noticed something funny though, and not just in the Witcher but overall, whenever black people don't get represented there's an uproar, but when other ethinc or racial groups don't get represented nobody says a peep. I wonder what's up with that. Like there are literally no Asians in the show, no Hispanics either from what I can remember. I mean if they're gonna go for diversity seems pretty hypocritical not to include at least a few minor characters of other ethnicities and races.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    The reasoning problem there being you believing what some random dude claims he knows some critics are thinking.

As someone who works professionally with Science Fiction and Fantasy criticism on an academic level, the problem is, in my experience, usually far simpler than that. People aren't used to genre conventions, and have little experience with the genre in general. That not only colors their interpretation, but also affects their interest. They miss plot points that fans find obvious (even without prior knowledge of materials), and they generally tend to give less importance to certain factors (like CGI, lore adherence, etc.) and more to others (especially "mainstream" factors like character development etc.).

That's not to say there aren't critics who can go past those biases, or there aren't critics who are fans, or that critics are automatically wrong, or that there AREN'T critics who went "this shit not woke, lame", of course. But many of the film critics I've read talked about The Witcher in ways that, to me, spoke of a certain degree of genre inexperience. Which is fine. Film critics have to evaluate everything from Lion King to Lost in Translation to the L Word. It's hard. I couldn't write criticism worth a damn about Victorian novels, either.
    I think there is a degree of truth to the "not woke enough", but it's not really about "wokeness" - it's about art and media as an arena for political and social activism. Some critics strongly believe that tv shows and movies have an obligation to participate on side of justice in the on-going political/social struggle between various viewpoints. They prefer villains who are representative of real-life villains, plot points that illustrate real-life issues, etc.

However, I don't think that's actually the case for the Witcher, except that some of the above-mentioned critics dislike fantasy and sci-fi in general, because of the escapist elements and/or a notion the genre are inherently inferior at playing a part in the "culture war" (which is a hyperbolic term, that I use for lack of a better description).

But there are certainly critics who think that any show with a male, light-skinned protagonist who regularly engages in violent conflict is by definition problematic. That's a tiny minority, though, and not really the case for any but the most activistic of critics.

Went into the series knowing fine well it was a Netflix production and that it would have divershitty smeared all over it, to be fair it never hampered my enjoyment of the series and it wasn't as bad as it could have been, although the regular acerbic 'men did this' barbs with female mages rolling their eyes, did get a bit tedious.

Henry Cavill was ace as Geralt imo. Looking forward to S2, despite any misgivings in S1.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I've noticed something funny though, and not just in the Witcher but overall, whenever black people don't get represented there's an uproar, but when other ethinc or racial groups don't get represented nobody says a peep. I wonder what's up with that. Like there are literally no Asians in the show, no Hispanics either from what I can remember. I mean if they're gonna go for diversity seems pretty hypocritical not to include at least a few minor characters of other ethnicities and races.
    I saw one Asian.

#Diversity

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the diversity problem is a blade with two edges.

They might have wanted to go authentic and cast all the white actors - but black actors applied and they couldn't tell them they don't fit because they are black, you know. Right? Racism Shmacism.

So be careful accusing producers of being SJW without knowing the real deal. This is one battle SJWs are winning now. Everyone's afraid.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I saw one Asian.

#Diversity
    Yennefer and Vilgefortz also look Indian which can be considered Asian as well. The recent posts with a focus on racial representation is just strange.

I think the show was very well done and their interpretation very close to the books. I felt like I was watching the chapters I had read and it reminded me of the stories within the Last Wish.

I know there's a 2nd season incoming but I hope they continue on to cover the whole book series.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I saw one Asian.

#Diversity
    fuck woke equality scrubs who have nothing better in their insignificant lives to fight about

I'm on second episode, and I'm cringing every time I see a black man on screen. Feels wrong, feels weird, feels out of place. This is not the Witcher universe based on north-eastern Europe.

If at least they'd be consistent, and just come out, and say all black people are elves or something like that. Just so there would be some consistency in the depiction of people of the North. Instead we have random black knights, random black elves, random black sorcerers and sorceresses. It is so obvious they are only there for #diversity squad. Them being black doesn't add anything to the story, but it sure does take away from the immersion.

I don't know what's with the world. Most of it looks like something from Spain, instead of Poland. Oh look it was filmed on Canary Islands ... That explains it.

The massive battles are also bad, but that's already a given when it comes to fantasy shows.

Geralt looks and sounds fine, but at times has this melancholic streak, and he's starting to repeat this "lesser evil" thing that got annoying really fast. Dandelion is just too plain, he should've been more flamboyant.

Quote Originally Posted by DaHomieG View Post
    I haven't watched it yet but I noticed there's no dub option for Polish. Kinda disappointing for Polish people considerring The Witcher is made by a Polish company.
    I've never understood why people would want anything other than the original voices tbh. It both looks and sounds weird.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jiih View Post
    ye and thats the typical no brain answer from them. have you even read the last pages? its mostly critic against Triss because of her skin color and nothing else. thats exactly racist and anyway very childish.
    Definitely not racist. It's criticism of deviating massively from the source material. At least dye her fucking hair, is it that much to ask?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post

They might have wanted to go authentic and cast all the white actors - but black actors applied and they couldn't tell them they don't fit because they are black, you know. Right? Racism Shmacism.

So be careful accusing producers of being SJW without knowing the real deal. This is one battle SJWs are winning now. Everyone's afraid.
    I mean, if they're looking to cast based on source material (or their own script, whatever) and somebody who looks nothing like the character(whether that's skin color or something else) applies, they should absolutely be able to say no, and anybody trying to deny them that right is an idiot.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tradu View Post

I mean, if they're looking to cast based on source material (or their own script, whatever) and somebody who looks nothing like the character(whether that's skin color or something else) applies, they should absolutely be able to say no, and anybody trying to deny them that right is an idiot.
    Sure and in a fair world it would be that way, but "I was denied a role on the Witcher series because of my race"
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

I made an account here just to drop some information on the not-so-closeted neo-nazis in here.

I know the presence of black people in your fantasy setting is really upsetting your ideas of a "pure" and "untainted" pre-modern Europe, but I'm happy I get to be the one to tell you that black people absolutely existed in Europe from (at least to my knowledge) the 11th century! Isn't that CRAZY?! BLACK PEOPLE! IN EUROPE!

It gets better! Not only did the poles actually have a word for black people, but black people also led their armies at times! Władysław Franciszek Jabłonowski was an polish general of african descent from the 18th century!

See this guy named Hitler popularized the belief of a virgin living space for a pure white race of beautiful glorious humans "just like the good old days", but it turns out, that reality NEVER existed! Now, unfortunately incels of the 21st century get to go around the internet claiming they understand racial history in Europe just because they watched some 1930s speeches on the internet, when in reality they don't know a damned thing!

So now you can all sleep well at night knowing that your whole reality is a lie, and that people of different skin tones have been interacting and coexisting in Europe for over a thousand years, and have been able to work their ways up into the elite class. Ever hear of black mozart? Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges was a talented composer of the time for the aristocracy who happened to be GASP from AFRICA! AFRICANS?! in MY EUROPE?!

Get a grip kids.

Netflix could make a show about the history of medieval China, and half the characters would be black.

Sure and in a fair world it would be that way, but "I was denied a role on the Witcher series because of my race"
    Yeah, and instead you got a role in Black Panther or one of the other roles in Witcher where it actually fits. Turns out your physical appearance matters(and it should) when it comes to deciding which roles you can get.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    i watched the series twice now. such a good adaptation.

Quote Originally Posted by Uggorthaholy View Post
    Thanks but no thanks, Lora, for making me question everything in existence forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Larsadius View Post
    I made an account here just to drop some information on the not-so-closeted neo-nazis in here.

I know the presence of black people in your fantasy setting is really upsetting your ideas of a "pure" and "untainted" pre-modern Europe, but I'm happy I get to be the one to tell you that black people absolutely existed in Europe from (at least to my knowledge) the 11th century! Isn't that CRAZY?! BLACK PEOPLE! IN EUROPE!

It gets better! Not only did the poles actually have a word for black people, but black people also led their armies at times! Władysław Franciszek Jabłonowski was an polish general of african descent from the 18th century!

See this guy named Hitler popularized the belief of a virgin living space for a pure white race of beautiful glorious humans "just like the good old days", but it turns out, that reality NEVER existed! Now, unfortunately incels of the 21st century get to go around the internet claiming they understand racial history in Europe just because they watched some 1930s speeches on the internet, when in reality they don't know a damned thing!

So now you can all sleep well at night knowing that your whole reality is a lie, and that people of different skin tones have been interacting and coexisting in Europe for over a thousand years, and have been able to work their ways up into the elite class. Ever hear of black mozart? Joseph Bologne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges was a talented composer of the time for the aristocracy who happened to be GASP from AFRICA! AFRICANS?! in MY EUROPE?!

Get a grip kids.
    Nobody is saying there were no black people. The point is that they were rare, and this series is based on books with something called "descriptions" of the characters. Triss looks nothing like the books or the games, with one of her main visual characteristics being flaming red hair.
    Last edited by Tradu; 2019-12-23 at 03:02 PM.
    Tradushuffle
    <Echoes>
    Laughing Skull-EU

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who have not and will not play Witcher ever, i did enjoyed the series (i haven't watched it all yet but i'm enjoying it).

Sorry for those that think that the story got butchered, the black Triss stuff, well... as far as i have seen, that's not that relevant, they just wanted to go with the Geralt X Witch instead of Geralt X Triss so yeah

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    I watched the series and it was fun, though I must say it all goes pretty fast for someone who hasn't played the games. It's pretty hard to follow.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

sadly ciname is loosing - most of "Big " movies in past 2 years ended up as complete flops

because sorry nobody goes to ciname to "get woke "