Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Just heard over the radio that Americans have been hoarding guns and ammunition over the Covid-19 pandemia. Think it was ammo.com or something that has something like 70% increased sales on ammunition? Guess you could try and shoot the virus out of the air or something.
    Paranoia people will raid their supplies. Same people mass buying toilet paper and the like

Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Think I will just go to the pub and wait till this all blows over.
    If you are in an area where they are still open. I suspect by this time next week 99% of areas in the US bars will be forced to be closed for the time being.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Joe View Post
    Source? Cause this is the first I'm seeing this.

I mean it is possible I guess, but not as easy as you are making it out to be.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-get-it-twice

Prof Jon Cohen, emeritus professor of infectious diseases at Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said: “The answer is that we simply don’t know [about reinfection] yet because we don’t have an antibody test for the infection, although we will have soon.

Which is my stance is we really don't know enough yet about this virus to take bold action like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Paranoia people will raid their supplies. Same people mass buying toilet paper and the like
    Yeah. It's a psychological thing. It makes them feel safe. Just like hoarding toilet paper and the like.

But still, it's so very American to hoard guns and ammo for it, it's funny.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpaghettiMonk View Post
    And again, let’s presume equity in schools is achievable. Then why should a parent read to a child?

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...n-get-it-twice

Prof Jon Cohen, emeritus professor of infectious diseases at Brighton and Sussex Medical School, said: “The answer is that we simply don’t know [about reinfection] yet because we don’t have an antibody test for the infection, although we will have soon.

Which is my stance is we really don't know enough yet about this virus to take bold action like that.

Right at the top.....

Definitive answer not yet known, but experts say reinfection seems unlikely
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

https://popculture.com/trending/2020...s-coronavirus/

looks like they are focusing on re-stocking the essentials first which is good, but people are panicking more over it already...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Source? Cause this is the first I'm seeing this.

I mean it is possible I guess, but not as easy as you are making it out to be.
    There’s two strains of COVID-19. So I don’t see why that would be impossible. Although one is thought to be much more mild than the other

Right at the top.....
    And that quote says they don't know until they run some more test this is based on behavior of viruses of that family so there is a possibility that it could be wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    There’s two strains of COVID-19. So I don’t see why that would be impossible. Although one is thought to be much more mild than the other
    Then it wouldn't really be reinfection. Either way his own source contradicts his claims.

Nor did I say it was impossible. but once your body builds up immunity to a virus it's really unlikely to get reinfected. Possible sure, but really unlikely.

- - - Updated - - -

And that quote says they don't know until they run some more test this is based on behavior of viruses of that family so there is a possibility that it could be wrong.
    So you should be saying that reinfection is unknown not and I quote...

Not such a great idea since it's possible to get it twice, we just don't know enough about this virus.
    We don't know if it's possible to get it twice. What we DO know is when it comes to viruses, is once your body builds up immunity to a virus it's very unlikely to get reinfected. Even more so right after being infected in the first place.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by cuafpr View Post
    https://popculture.com/trending/2020...s-coronavirus/

looks like they are focusing on re-stocking the essentials first which is good, but people are panicking more over it already...
    Why would people be panicking? It’s the responsible thing to do. Especially for high risk groups who should avoid supermarkets if possible

We don't know if it's possible to get it twice. What we DO know is when it comes to viruses, is once your body builds up immunity to a virus it's very unlikely to get reinfected. Even more so right after being infected in the first place.
    I know people are anxious for answers but that doesn't mean we should just skip protocol and assume everything is the same. How long is the immunity? how does it behave the second time you get it? how much can the virus mutate? we don't know so let's not throw caution into the wind because of fear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know people are anxious for answers but that doesn't mean we should just skip protocol and assume everything is the same. How long is the immunity? how does it behave the second time you get it? how much can the virus mutate? we don't know so let's not throw caution into the wind because of fear.
    So instead it's better to spread misinformation that could cause more panic?

Genius plan there bub.....

I might have to drink something besides soda for a while, because the store is low.

We don't know if it's possible to get it twice. What we DO know is when it comes to viruses, is once your body builds up immunity to a virus it's very unlikely to get reinfected.
    I read an article the other day that mentioned that our immunity to previously known coronavirus infections wanes over time, i.e. you can eventually catch them again.

Could well be the same for this one. Just another "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" scenario for us to add to the list...

EDIT: here's one of the articles I read that touched on it:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/02/04/...snt-contained/
    Last edited by Drutt; 2020-03-17 at 03:19 PM.

The UEFA has postponed the Euro 2020 football competition to 2021.

BBC
    "It is every citizen's final duty to go into the tanks, and become one with all the people."

~ Chairman Sheng-Ji Yang, "Ethics for Tomorrow"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drutt View Post
    I read an article the other day that mentioned that our immunity to previously known coronavirus infections wanes over time, i.e. you can eventually catch them again.

Could well be the same for this one. Just another "hope for the best and prepare for the worst" scenario for us to add to the list...
    Right, but we are talking about immediate reinfection. Nor am I saying it's not possible. "unlikely" doesn't mean never. Just means a low chance of it happening.

So instead it's better to spread misinformation that could cause more panic?

Genius plan there bub.....
    What was wrong with what I said it is possible to get it twice also the last thing you want is to encourage people to be reckless because they think they are untouchable.

10+ Year Old Account
    What was wrong with what I said it is possible to get it twice also the last thing you want is to encourage people to be reckless because they think they are untouchable.
    How about the fact you have no info to back this claim up atm. And you don't think people will panic if they hear they could be reinfected right after already having it?

Quote Originally Posted by BoltBlaster View Post
    So your solution is to do nothing until vaccines are available?

What the hell is wrong with some people?
    Read my posts in this thread, then you will read I've critized/hated on the slow and weak reaction of the Netherlands. My solution is a full lockdown, more tests, prepare for the worse case scenario, not rely on the Herd Immunity idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    That detail is why they consider doing this thing.

Believe it or not, it's not like you have a bunch of retard politicians deciding there only.

There are several viable paths:

• One is to wait for vaccine and hope to discover effective treatment for severe cases by then while trying to stall and slow the spread. The issue here is that in worst case scenario if no treatment is found in coming X months - the lockdown measures will ruin economies and livelihoods of many people. So it's sort of a gamble here.
    • Another scenario with "herd immunity" is to spread this shit in a controlled fashion to not destroy healthcare system, but to immunize population relatively fast and ensure you get over this in specific time frame. The gamble here is the "controlled" part, as in everything goes as planned and of course it's more dangerous.

Neither option is ideal - both pessimistic cases are equally devastating. First option is safer but no estimate, while second option comes with estimates.

In perfect world medical-only approach, first option is the one to go for. But people also have other needs too.
    I see, your correct, I prefer option 1 tho.

Right, but we are talking about immediate reinfection. Nor am I saying it's not possible. "unlikely" doesn't mean never. Just means a low chance of it happening.
    I'd agree it's unlikely on an immediate basis, but I'm loathe to assume anything right now given the stakes (those should now be obvious to anyone who is paying attention).

There's also the additional concern over the virus mutating as it rampages through millions of people. Apparently the current evidence is that it undergoes about 6 genetic changes per person infected at the moment, so the potential implications of that when the other shoe drops in the coming weeks and we start seeing millions infected are quite frightening.