Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question What is your favorite Mage Covenant ability and why?

Kyrian: Radiant Spark Conjure a radiant spark that causes 75% of Spell power Arcane damage instantly and additional 29.6% of Spell power damage over 8 sec.The target takes 10% increased damage from your direct damage spells, stacking each time they are struck. This effect ends after 4 spells.
    2% of base mana, 1.5 sec cast, 40 yd range, 30 sec range.

Venthyr: Mirrors of Torment Conjure 3 mirrors to torment the enemy for 20 sec. Whenever the target casts a spell or ability, a mirror is consumed to inflict (75% of Spell power) Shadow damage and their movement and cast speed are slowed by 15%. The final mirror will instead inflict 198% of Spell power) Shadow damage to the enemy, Rooting and Silencing them for 4 sec.
    4% of base mana, 1.5 sec cast, 40 yd range, 1.5 min cooldown

Necrolord: Deathborne Transform into a powerful Skeletal Mage for 20 sec. While in the form of a Skeletal Mage, your Frostbolt , Fireball , and Arcane Blast hit up to 2 enemies near your target, and your spell damage is increased by 10%.
    5% of base mana, 1.5 sec cast, 3 min cooldown

Night Fae: Shifting Power Draw from the ground beneath you for 6 sec, dealing (60% of Spell power) Nature damage every 2 sec to nearby enemies.While channeling, your Mage ability cooldowns are reduced by sec every 2 sec.
    5% of base mana, 6 sec Channel, 15 yd range, 45 sec cooldown

So which one is your favorite one and why?

Whithout the bells and whistles that are going to be added by soul binds and conduits..? Probably Kyrean, as it's the only one that plays into the classes' core mechanics (even if it is extremely clumsy). Frost has a way to be played to set up a big hit combo, so does fire and arcane. But I can also see the downsides with the way it kinda demands a more rigid execution, which will be especially annoying if you have to try and cram a glacial spike or a late pyro into the 4th cast. Arcane can just whack away here instead.. which is quite the common theme.

Not a fan of channeled abilities, especially if they are in the form of an AoE with gimmik CD reduction. Worse, you channel 6 seconds and only get in 3 hits, that's kinda lame. That makes the night fae one kinda meh to me by default. Nice graphic though I guess.

I still hold that the venthyr one is rubbish outside of niche situations and PvP (and there it can be dispelled..), sadly it's the only one with some utility, which again comes in a very clunky form. If it is usefull in PvE will come down to encounter design and your comp in m+. I can see it being usefull against "lulz turrets" in dungeons that need to be chain interrupted every 3-5 seconds. For lower keys it might make mage feel less gimped compared to melee and their shorter interrupt and is probably enough there since the mob will die before you would need it again. It also barely feels relevant to the core class design of class, which makes it kinda unattractive and seem more like another azershite power. While I'm not a fan, it would still be tolerable though.

Now to the necro lord one .. I kinda hate it. The use between the specs is so vastly different, it isn't even funny. The cleave part is quite diminished (well depends on what/if the cleaved spells can proc) for frost and fire, wheres for arcane it allows you to burst cleave the shit out of 3 enemies now. The flat damage increase is also simple and easy to use without any downsides and the duration is decent for a 3 minute cooldown. My biggest issue is that i absoluitely hate everyhing about necrolords. They just feel completely out of place for me and seem to be only there to milk some scourge memberberries, which would piss me off to no end if it turns out this ability will be the best choice.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2020-05-26 at 07:06 AM.
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Meillassoux View Post
    Necrolord: Deathborne Transform into a powerful Skeletal Mage for 20 sec.
    This of course... the other three are just damage spells, this one makes you a skeletal mage.

What could be more awesome than that

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    This of course... the other three are just damage spells, this one makes you a skeletal mage.

What could be more awesome than that
    An actually interesting ability that actually did something more than.. 10% damage and cleave on a weak spell for non-Arcane mages?

Quote Originally Posted by Segus1992 View Post
    An actually interesting ability that actually did something more than..
    Turns you into a freakin' skeletal mage - obviously the winner.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

To each their own I guess. Personally it's one of my least favorite covenant abilities across all classes because of how simple and uninteractive it is. The shapeshift will lose its luster in about a week.

The transformation takes me out of it tbh. A Gnome mage turns into a giant vrykul skeleton how and why exactly? If it used a skeleton model based on your own race or something more universal and magic-themed, like a Lich (with male/female models at least), I would understand the appeal.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    The transformation takes me out of it tbh. A Gnome mage turns into a giant vrykul skeleton how and why exactly? If it used a skeleton model based on your own race or something more universal and magic-themed, like a Lich (with male/female models at least), I would understand the appeal.
    Probably because that's how the Necrolord power works. It's a simple shapeshift which isn't odd in the world of warcraft. You tap into necrolord powers for a bit which shapeshifts you into a more powerful version of a mage... Not sure what's odd about it.

On topic: I like the flavor of necrolord, but it's either Necrolord or Kyrian depending on how the extra fireball interacts with heating up. If pyroclasm becomes viable again Kyrian looks fun due to having 40% spell power from ability and 40% spell power from ROP.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2020-05-26 at 07:50 AM.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Probably because that's how the Necrolord power works. It's a simple shapeshift which isn't odd in the world of warcraft. You tap into necrolord powers for a bit which shapeshifts you into a more powerful version of a mage... Not sure what's odd about it.

On topic: I like the flavor of necrolord, but it's either Necrolord or Kyrian depending on how the extra fireball interacts with heating up.
    Necrolords have liches as well, and they are the traditional spell casters of the undead. Shapeshifting might be a common mechanic in WoW, but the flavor is still lacking, and that model is still unappealing to me. If being a giant hulking skeleton with some rags and a random staff makes you feel like a stronger mage, more power to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Coconut View Post
    Necrolords have liches as well, and they are the traditional spell casters of the undead. Shapeshifting might be a common mechanic in WoW, but the flavor is still lacking, and that model is still unappealing to me. If being a giant hulking skeleton with some rags and a random staff makes you feel like a stronger mage, more power to you.
    What makes me feel like a more powerful mage is the ability in of itself because that literally makes you a more powerful mage. That isn't subjective. What's subjective is if you find the shapeshifting form appealing, which I agree on that it's lackluster mainly because I don't enjoy Vrykul animations. Shoulder pads and hoodie + cape makes it look nice though.

If they add more variety it would obviously be a good thing.
    Error 404 - Signature not found

Quote Originally Posted by Meillassoux View Post
    Kyrian: Radiant Spark Conjure a radiant spark that causes 75% of Spell power Arcane damage instantly and additional 29.6% of Spell power damage over 8 sec.The target takes 10% increased damage from your direct damage spells, stacking each time they are struck. This effect ends after 4 spells.
    2% of base mana, 1.5 sec cast, 40 yd range, 30 sec range.

Venthyr: Mirrors of Torment Conjure 3 mirrors to torment the enemy for 20 sec. Whenever the target casts a spell or ability, a mirror is consumed to inflict (75% of Spell power) Shadow damage and their movement and cast speed are slowed by 15%. The final mirror will instead inflict 198% of Spell power) Shadow damage to the enemy, Rooting and Silencing them for 4 sec.
    4% of base mana, 1.5 sec cast, 40 yd range, 1.5 min cooldown

Necrolord: Deathborne Transform into a powerful Skeletal Mage for 20 sec. While in the form of a Skeletal Mage, your Frostbolt , Fireball , and Arcane Blast hit up to 2 enemies near your target, and your spell damage is increased by 10%.
    5% of base mana, 1.5 sec cast, 3 min cooldown

Night Fae: Shifting Power Draw from the ground beneath you for 6 sec, dealing (60% of Spell power) Nature damage every 2 sec to nearby enemies.While channeling, your Mage ability cooldowns are reduced by sec every 2 sec.
    5% of base mana, 6 sec Channel, 15 yd range, 45 sec cooldown

So which one is your favorite one and why?
    Well, the Necrolord one looks to be the outright strongest and it soudns like a pretty fun cooldown due to its cleave componentin addition to 10% increased spellpower. The 3min cooldown thou kinda kills its usefullness for fire. I wonder if it will spawn 3 icicles per frostbolt or give 3x stacks per arcane blast (thatd be amazing).

The night fae ability sounds like a very fun tool to play round with esecially as frost, but im not sure it will carry its weight comapred to the others.

The ventyr one looks to be completly useless outside of pvp or very niche uses in dungeons. (im assuming it wont work on bosses as nothing weve ever had sofar has ever been able to slow, silence or root them).

The kyrian radiant spark sounds like it might become the one be tuned to be the best option for singletarget dps, it has some interesting interactions but overall doesnt look as fun as the night fae or necrolord ability.
    None of us really changes over time. We only become more fully what we are.

Condering I'm probably going to be playing the game at a semi high level(if they fix torghast and covenents are horrible). I don't see any way I don't go necrolord, it may be bad at the start, but it should scale better than the rest in the long run. Although soulbinds may change that.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post
    Well, the Necrolord one looks to be the outright strongest and it soudns like a pretty fun cooldown due to its cleave componentin addition to 10% increased spellpower. The 3min cooldown thou kinda kills its usefullness for fire. I wonder if it will spawn 3 icicles per frostbolt or give 3x stacks per arcane blast (thatd be amazing).
    It doesn't really have to give the stacks to Arcane as it will be lining up with AP anyways, so you'll likely charge up to 4 anyways and spam AB for the whole time.

Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    It doesn't really have to give the stacks to Arcane as it will be lining up with AP anyways, so you'll likely charge up to 4 anyways and spam AB for the whole time.
    This is going to be the weird part about the ability. For Frost and Fire it needs to be able to proc class mechanics on cleaved enemies to be of any use, for arcane it would feel even more like cheating if it did. Seriously, a full burst window on arcane mirrored to 2 more targets is just lunacy on it's own..
    You are welcome, Metzen. I hope you won't fuck up my underground expansion idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I already dislike how CD dependent mage damage is, so Deathborne and Shifting Power look really uninteresting to me. The current version of Mirrors on alpha is super clunky to use, undertuned, and niche outside pvp. Even in pvp, it can just be dispelled. That only leaves Radiant Spark. It is again a bit clunky and doesn't fit the rotation well, but oh well.

That said, I think Shifting Power will be BiS most likely. Arcane may want Deathborne for omega cleave burst.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphrel View Post

The ventyr one looks to be completly useless outside of pvp or very niche uses in dungeons. (im assuming it wont work on bosses as nothing weve ever had sofar has ever been able to slow, silence or root them).
    I just looked at a video and the animation doesn't even involve mirrors. Disappointed.

15+ Year Old Account
    It's a tough choice since we can really only guess what final tuning will be like, but given that Venthyr and Necrolord have the two only good Covenant Wide abilities (teleport and massive shield), it's a hard sell not picking up one of those two.

Looking at just the class abilities though, Radiant Spark will almost 100% be terrible for Frost as I bet the charges will be removed by each tick of Flurry, and at best clunky for Fire. Just remove the part where it gets removed after four spells and the ability becomes 100000% better.

Shifting Power expects us to sit still for 6 seconds every 45 to gain the full benefit? That will never see use in M+ or PvP, and depending on raid encounters I doubt anyone will feel good using it there either.

Does Deathborne apply the stacks and debuffs of the abilities on each target? Are we going to get 3 Conflag per cast or three Icicles? Seems really weak for anything not Arcane as those spells are ones Fire and Frost want to cast the least, so they would probably need to buff the spellpower boost to compensate.

Mirrors of Torment is an interesting idea, but without dispel protection it will be useless in PvP and half of its kit doesn't work on bosses. I mean, not much to say about it really, it's clearly the PvP focused on in the bunch. I wish it worked more like the old Crystal we had that reflected damage dealt to it onto the target.
    BfA Beta Time

Unless they adjust the general covenant abilities, you will choose Venthyr if you are serious about raiding/mythic+. The mage covenant abilities are nothing compared to having a 1 min cd teleport ability.

I would not be surprised that as mythic+ opens up, being Venthyr will be a requirement to join groups for dungeons. And recruitement wise would you rather have the player that can cheese a mechanic every minute or one that can do 2% more dps on a patchwork fight?

The only plus side to only having one covenant to choose from for the entire raiding/mythic+ population is that all the covenants class specific choices are meh at best for mages. So unlike some classes that really would like to play as a different covenant, you don't loose anything by going Venthyr as a mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sageless View Post
    you don't loose anything by going Venthyr as a mage.
    Exept a massive cleave CD as Arcane.

The venthyr teleport is inredibly powerful, but also reliant on the condition that Dungeon design and m+ timers will once again favor elaborte skips and raids are stacked with N'Zoth like abilities (laser cutter and persistent taint zones). At least for M+, once we have the ability to see how mythic dungeons look, we might see if they will still be as overloaded with trash as the current ones. Imho the first 3 seemed to go for less trash, but then it still depends on what amount m+ ultimately requires.

The massive cleave for arcane on the other hand will probably be universally usefull, not sold on the shield though.

That is also all before we get to see how soul binds, conduits and maybe even legendaries interact with them. Kyrian with it's borderline useless and at best extremely clunky steward is certainly facing an uphill battle for now, wheres even Nightfae might have some applications.

15+ Year Old Account
    It will be that way for everyone. The only two Covenants that give EVERY class that picks them something useful are Venthyr and Necrolord. The Night Fae are...okay, but Kyrian is total trash.

After realizing Corruption is just what old gems and enchants were, I somewhat wish they scrapped the whole system and gave us new talent trees. You can keep Soulbinds, if you want, and just make them talent glyphs, or glyphs in general. It would be much easier for them to balance and you can turn the Covenants into mini factions for BGs and cosmetics.
    BfA Beta Time