Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SirCowdog View Post
    I'm simply expressing healthy skepticism for a title that has already thrown up a bunch of red flags. Because what's the alternative? Unmitigated fanboy praise for a "beta" that's really just a thinly veiled demo for what appears to be an unfinished game that's already cutting off pieces of it in order to push console exclusivity? Yeah, that's not exactly good behavior.

Look, be excited for an Avengers game. Whatever floats your boat. I hope it ends up better than what we've seen so far. Just be aware that it might not be.
    There's a difference between skepticism and paranoia. You can be skeptical that the full game will be better than the beta, but worrying about there not being much more content or that content costing additional money is just paranoia. Unfortunately, most people do seem to be gravitating toward the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    There's a difference between skepticism and paranoia. You can be skeptical that the full game will be better than the beta, but worrying about there not being much more content or that content costing additional money is just paranoia. Unfortunately, most people do seem to be gravitating toward the latter.
    "Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't actually out to get you."

The thing is, game companies have created this environment. They've released so many bad titles and cash grabs, and have used so many anti-consumer business models and practices, that it's not actually "paranoia" to assume the worst about a game. Especially not when it's throwing up many of the telltale signs of following in those footsteps.

I really don't understand the need to try and tear down the people who point out "Hey, you should be careful with this game" when the game is showing so many of those signs. The fact that people consider it NORMAL to pay full price for a game, and then pay additionally on top of that for "just cosmetics" is already so far over the line as to be laughable.

If you're going to throw around terms like "paranoia", then I would be well within my rights to fire back with any number of psychological terms of my own. But I really don't want the conversation to go there. So let's all rein it in a bit.

The fact that people consider it NORMAL to pay full price for a game, and then pay additionally on top of that for "just cosmetics" is already so far over the line as to be laughable.
    Because it is normal at this point and I think it's time people stop freaking out about publishers selling cosmetics that don't actually hurt anyone's gameplay experience.

Quote Originally Posted by thilicen View Post
    Then why the fuck have the QTE at all instead of doing a regular cutscene where the player can focus on the action and not a pointless button prompt?
    Thats not a QTE, thats the tutorial. And pressing heavy attack while in the air does a slam attack, you can use it in normal combat. This is just to show the player that this attack exists and to force him to do it once.

I played the beta a bit, the combat is not as bad as i thought. Yes the tutorial is very on rails and easy but later on the combat is ok. Not great but ok. I found it very clumsy on mouse and keyboard and much better with a controller but maybe thats just the key layout, left mouse for light and F for heavy attack is strange and ctrl to dodge is very stange for me. I guess when i map that all on my mouse it will be better.

Graphics are nice, there are still a lot of bugs and bad UI, i had several parts where i didn't know what the game wanted me to do. And i didn't like that you always have to play with 4 players, be it 4 humans or one human and 3 ai. I'd rather like to play missions in a human team or solo, i don't need the 3 bots around me. I hope that there is the possibility in the main game.

I'm still quite interested in the game but i will wait for the first reviews before i buy it.

- - - Updated - - -

Because it is normal at this point and I think it's time people stop freaking out about publishers selling cosmetics that don't actually hurt anyone's gameplay experience.
    Cosmetics are quite important for a lot of people, especially in a loot game that doesn't show equipment on your character. The ONLY way to change your looks in this game are cosmetics. And yes i know you can get some of them for "free" in the game.
    So yeah, it affects my gameplay experience. I stopped playing POE because you always look like a lv 1 character in that game if you don't buy costumes. I hated that.
    Last edited by Yriel; 2020-08-24 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Typo

If they are so unimportant then why sell them?

10+ Year Old Account
    The "it's only cosmetics" line is the biggest lie game companies have sold to the punters and gotten away with. Cosmetics are as much a part of a game as anything else. Would you say the same about story? It doesn't effect gameplay after all. What if a game like this Avengers came out and for the base price you just got the generic missions. You could still play, level up, and collect gear, but you had to pay extra for any story missions. Would you feel the same as you do about cosmetics? I am betting not.

No one is "freaking out". Don't attempt character assassination just because people don't agree with you.

And I really wish people would stop repeating falsehoods like "cosmetics don't hurt anyone's gameplay experience". As @Yriel rightly pointed out, cosmetics can be a driving force in the experience of a player. But not only that, we have an entire major character simply cut out of every version of the game that isn't PS4. It's not like PC or Xbox versions have their own exclusive. But I suppose there's a rationalization for that too?

There's a difference between skepticism and paranoia. You can be skeptical that the full game will be better than the beta, but worrying about there not being much more content or that content costing additional money is just paranoia.
    You are right. No live service money farm would release with very little content intended to be farmed on repeat. That would be silly.

Wouldn't it.

Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Yriel View Post
    Cosmetics are quite important for a lot of people, especially in a loot game that doesn't show equipment on your character. The ONLY way to change your looks in this game are cosmetics. And yes i know you can get some of them for "free" in the game.
    So yeah, it affects my gameplay experience. I stopped playing POE because you always look like a lv 1 character in that game if you don't buy costumes. I hated that.
    Sure they are important to you personally but they still have no affect on the gameplay experience, you could still enjoy the game without them.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    If they are so unimportant then why sell them?
    Because people will buy them but the fact that people buy them doesn't make them important to the gameplay experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Skizzit View Post
    The "it's only cosmetics" line is the biggest lie game companies have sold to the punters and gotten away with. Cosmetics are as much a part of a game as anything else. Would you say the same about story? It doesn't effect gameplay after all. What if a game like this Avengers came out and for the base price you just got the generic missions. You could still play, level up, and collect gear, but you had to pay extra for any story missions. Would you feel the same as you do about cosmetics? I am betting not.
    Of course not but unlike cosmetics, story missions do affect the gameplay experience. It's like comparing water and beer, one is essential the other is just feeding into your personal vice.

No one is "freaking out". Don't attempt character assassination just because people don't agree with you.

And I really wish people would stop repeating falsehoods like "cosmetics don't hurt anyone's gameplay experience". As @Yriel rightly pointed out, cosmetics can be a driving force in the experience of a player. But not only that, we have an entire major character simply cut out of every version of the game that isn't PS4. It's not like PC or Xbox versions have their own exclusive. But I suppose there's a rationalization for that too?
    Wanting something doesn't make it essential. Spiderman is not a major character, he hasn't even appeared in any promotional material, he is an additional character and is not essential to the gameplay experience but admittedly people do want him because he's a popular character. It sucks that he's PlayStation exclusive but I know that won't stop me from getting the PC version.

Official release trailer:

Sure they are important to you personally but they still have no affect on the gameplay experience, you could still enjoy the game without them.

Because people will buy them but the fact that people buy them doesn't make them important to the gameplay experience.
    Yet they are important to the experience. If not people would not buy them and companies would not sell them. Argument done over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by Aliven View Post
    Yet they are important to the experience. If not people would not buy them and companies would not sell them. Argument done over and over.
    People enjoy chocolate. Companies sell chocolate because people enjoy it. Chocolate is not needed to live.

I just pre-ordered it for my son. His 6 yr old brain loved it even if it was a tiny bit hard for him. I had to set the resolution down to 800x600 and lowest settings on his gtx 770, but he didnt care that it looked similar to a Roblox game (hyperbole). He had a blast playing along side me.

There's no way I'd order 2 copies of the game though. I personally didn't enjoy it enough. The game ran like crap, crashed twice in the 5 hours of game time I gave it. I thought Hulk was super cool to watch, but a bore to play. I did really enjoy Iron man. I understand it, but really dislike their choice to make the real campaign missions single player only. That was probably my biggest turn off. A lot of the mission table stuff took longer to queue up for and load than they did to complete.

Wanting something doesn't make it essential. Spiderman is not a major character, he hasn't even appeared in any promotional material, he is an additional character and is not essential to the gameplay experience but admittedly people do want him because he's a popular character. It sucks that he's PlayStation exclusive but I know that won't stop me from getting the PC version.
    "Spiderman is not a major character"

Right....well. I guess that sums it up. ROFL

"Spiderman is not a major character"

Right....well. I guess that sums it up. ROFL
    Shut up you know what I mean. He's not a major character in the context of this game. He's certainly a popular character but that doesn't mean everyone is eager to play him over any other character.

Shut up you know what I mean. He's not a major character in the context of this game. He's certainly a popular character but that doesn't mean everyone is eager to play him over any other character.
    Uh...especially off the popularity of the PS4 Spider-Man game? And the pretty vocal and near universal criticism of the bullshit that is locking him to PS4/5 only?

Yeah, it sure seems like quite a few folks were eager to play him.

I think some of the criticism is borderline hyperbolic, but this is absolutely scummy on the part of Sony/Squeenix, and they're rightfully eating a shit sammich for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Uh...especially off the popularity of the PS4 Spider-Man game? And the pretty vocal and near universal criticism of the bullshit that is locking him to PS4/5 only?

I think some of the criticism is borderline hyperbolic, but this is absolutely scummy on the part of Sony/Squeenix, and they're rightfully eating a shit sammich for it.
    People are angry over the fact that he's exclusive at all. Spiderman shouldn't be console exclusive, even Sony fans agree, that doesn't mean everyone is upset about not getting to play him.

I think its dumb but its not like I was interested in the game because of spiderman nor am I upset over not getting to play as him.

10+ Year Old Account
    I did a few hours of the beta and the game's pretty fun, IMO - especially enjoyed smashing my way through a lab as Hulk.

Can't say whether or not the gameplay would hold up over 100+ hours, but I'd buy it on sale for $30-40.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    People are angry over the fact that he's exclusive at all. Spiderman shouldn't be console exclusive, even Sony fans agree, that doesn't mean everyone is upset about not getting to play him.

I think its dumb but its not like I was interested in the game because of spiderman nor am I upset over not getting to play as him.
    Its still pretty shitty to make him console exclusive.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    TBF pretty sure he was never announced as playable period until it was announced he was exclusive? So who was excited to play as a character that was unannounced and not advertised for the game?

It's entirely likely he wasn't going to be in the game at all due to w/e deal Sony has with Marvel for Spider-Man until they stepped in and got him exclusive. It could of easily of been the difference of him being exclusive or not being in the game at all no? If so the end result doesn't change at all for Xbox and PC players, it only adds more content to PS4 players.