Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jester Joe View Post
    Offering a deal for exclusivity is hardly "forcing". Forcing someone to pay you so you can release something on their shop is quite a different situation though, which is what Apple does. Huge difference between paying for the exclusivity (Epic) or using your exclusivity to take a cut from the dev (Apple).

Also I highly doubt that Epic would be investing so much money into the EGS if people only cared about Fortnite on it, but I always find it a bit strange that people find the need to insult/mock others for enjoying Fortnite either way.
    It's worth noting that the cut that Epic agreed to with both Apple and Google that they tried to summarily circumvent in the last Fortnite iOS and Android updates, has been an industry standard since before the days of digital product distribution. Personally, I don't agree that digital platforms should be singing developers 30% for hosting their software on their storefronts, but I also don't have an issue with companies who are charging an industry standard/market rate. Epic agreed to the terms set by both Apple and Google and ultimately tried to circumvent those terms, I have zero fucks to give any company who willingly breaks the rules they agreed to.

If they were investing money into EGS, then why is it still a pile of dog turd with no features 2+ years after it launched?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It's worth noting that the cut that Epic agreed to with both Apple and Google that they tried to summarily circumvent in the last Fortnite iOS and Android updates, has been an industry standard since before the days of digital product distribution. Personally, I don't agree that digital platforms should be singing developers 30% for hosting their software on their storefronts, but I also don't have an issue with companies who are charging an industry standard/market rate. Epic agreed to the terms set by both Apple and Google and ultimately tried to circumvent those terms, I have zero fucks to give any company who willingly breaks the rules they agreed to.

If they were investing money into EGS, then why is it still a pile of dog turd with no features 2+ years after it launched?
    It's not so much of an "agreement" if your only way to publish on it is through the app store. Google/Android at least gives the option to install apps through other means, but Apple literally refuses to allow any installation from anything, which isn't just scummy to the developers but also the users if you ask me, since they're selling you a product that you're only allowed to use what they approve of on it.

EGS obviously has features like friends lists, it's just not also overly bloated with them like Steam is. While I get that people have a fixation on the shopping cart, it's not really uncommon either to not have one. I know someone mentioned Nintendo doesn't have one, Google Play Store doesn't have a shopping cart either.

Looks like it took Microsoft a while to add one themselves, came out in 2018 with the shopping cart for Xbox but also had to take it down for a while quickly after since it was buggy.
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/08/...dd%20to%20cart.

Offering a deal for exclusivity is hardly "forcing". Forcing someone to pay you so you can release something on their shop is quite a different situation though, which is what Apple does. Huge difference between paying for the exclusivity (Epic) or using your exclusivity to take a cut from the dev (Apple).

Also I highly doubt that Epic would be investing so much money into the EGS if people only cared about Fortnite on it, but I always find it a bit strange that people find the need to insult/mock others for enjoying Fortnite either way.
    They need to expand before fortnite dies. Seing how fortnite(a pretty shit game objectively) was a complete random success, meaning they cant actually rely on their own game studio to make another game that makes money, they have to resort to exclusives to keep the money rolling.

Steam isnt perfect, at all. But you have to look real hard to find something appealing about Epic
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Fuck I'd be surprised if you can even tie your own shoes, if thats your ability to read.

10+ Year Old Account
    objectively)

I don't think you can say Fortnite is a shit game objectively, you don't like it fine whatever but don't say objectively.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by Bennett View Post
    Why do people hate epic games so much?

I've gotten 4 free games I've actually played in the past 6 weeks - steam doesn't give me that
    Beats me too

It doesnt seem like a bad platform from what Ive tried and I even bought CIV 6 dlc after giving it a try when they offered the base version for free

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicPeon View Post
    They need to expand before fortnite dies. Seing how fortnite(a pretty shit game objectively) was a complete random success, meaning they cant actually rely on their own game studio to make another game that makes money, they have to resort to exclusives to keep the money rolling.

Steam isnt perfect, at all. But you have to look real hard to find something appealing about Epic
    I wouldn't ever say Fortnite is objectively bad. Not for everyone, sure, but it can be pretty fun to start up for 30-45 minutes. It's subjective. And it's seems to still be doing extremely well for itself.

And I don't think you'd have to look past "free games" to find appeal, but I honestly have grown to enjoy how simple EGS is, as I've said a few times now. Steam has become so bloated at this point with features that I think it's detrimental honestly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lahis View Post
    It is not Steam.

And worse, it has Fortnite on it.

(Really, there is no good reason to hate it as much people do, they just have fanatical cult hard-on gor Steam for some reason.)

I've gotten 4 free games I've actually played in the past 6 weeks - steam doesn't give me that
    Lets see shall we.

Timmy Tencent is a massive hypocrite. He talks about how players should be free to install games however they like on various platforms when it involves his company being blocked for breaking T&C but pays for exclusives.

He talks about how platforms should be open when he is directly causing a exclusivity war on an open platform. He says it's all about getting good deals for the customer and that the epic store will have lower prices despite game costs being just as high if not higher than steam anyway when the games are available on both stores.
    Speciation Is Gradual

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    I don't think you can say Fortnite is a shit game objectively, you don't like it fine whatever but don't say objectively.
    True. Its subjective.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't ever say Fortnite is objectively bad. Not for everyone, sure, but it can be pretty fun to start up for 30-45 minutes. It's subjective. And it's seems to still be doing extremely well for itself.

And I don't think you'd have to look past "free games" to find appeal, but I honestly have grown to enjoy how simple EGS is, as I've said a few times now. Steam has become so bloated at this point with features that I think it's detrimental honestly.
    Yep, you are right about the subjective part.
    Also yeah its doing great. ANd i'm sure its gonna continue that. But i dont see it having the lifespan of wow for example.

Right now their business model seems to be spend a FUCKTON of money that they got from fortnite on finding other ways to gain revinue. And i'm taking that as a sign that they know fortnite wont last forever.
    Extremism and radicalisation is the bane of society

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    He talks about how platforms should be open when he is directly causing a exclusivity war on an open platform.
    Having multiple storefronts competing on an open platform doesn't contradict his goal for an open platform. Like, that's actually the end-game for an open platform in his eyes.

He's still a bloody hypocrite and an ass, but for other reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    He says it's all about getting good deals for the customer and that the epic store will have lower prices despite game costs being just as high if not higher than steam anyway when the games are available on both stores.
    Because pricing is up to developers/publishers, not Epic. There have been a few games that dropped the default price down $5 or so on EGS and it's got some decent discounts, but Epic can't force them to reduce price since they're getting a bigger cut.

- - - Updated - - -

Kinda sorta? I mean, Epic is mostly moving into three revenue streams vs. two. Before it was Unreal Engine licensing and games (Unreal, Gears of War etc.), but with Fortnite being such a megahit they're expanding into a third independent revenue stream with the storefront. It's all off the back of them Fortnite bux.

I'm sure many on their development team would LOVE to work on other games, but it doesn't look like they want to change focus or considerably grow the team so they're gonna stick with Fortnite for the most part right now. And while Paragon was a miss, they absolutely have the talent and ability to make other hits. They may not be as big as Fortnite (probably won't be), but can still be successful.

As for exclusives, if you're talking about the store, those are probably not making them much money. They're paying for that, and that ain't cheap. That's purely a user acquisition tactic to get them into the store and spending money elsewhere.

I'll generally agree here as the EGS isn't anything to write home about, but like...the weekly free games are pretty appealing. I don't think I've spent a penny on the EGS and I've got like 40 games in my library or something nuts like that. And not just throwaway titles, there's a god mix of some pretty solid and bigger name games like GTA V and Batman and Just Cause 4.

Because you absolutely nailed it: it's about the free games only. This is the only reason timmy tencent gets his fanbase. But beyond of this: I only want to link to the fuckepic-subreddit, here you see why people hate epic so much:

https://www.reddit.com/r/fuckepic/co..._2020_edition/
    Last edited by Velerios; 2020-09-18 at 04:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    ..A sub redit dedicated to hating a company.... sorry thats just sad.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

I'd recommend using google to answer that very wide question.

Some key points are:
    - snooping on your pc
    - low feature launcher
    - blackmailing devs
    - buying people by trying to get exclusives

I dont like how hes only making this a product through swinging his big company dick money around. Nobody would use Epic store but Fuurthkniight players (Meme voice!), if he didnt cause all this traffic through acquisitions, free promos that he paid for and so on. Also I dont wanna install all these app's on my PC all the time.
    Last edited by Djuntas; 2020-09-18 at 08:03 PM.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

They're trying to cause a negative ripple effect in the industry and they're blaming it on everyone else. If you care to take a side, I'd suggest looking into the issue on your own and coming to your own conclusion. Forums are cesspools on topics like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeluron Lightsong View Post
    ..A sub redit dedicated to hating a company.... sorry thats just sad.
    Well when they have had data breaches then hid and lied about it until it finally caught up with them, claim to be a hero to the people then charge alot for skins/ have loot boxes/divert 90% of their developers off save the world then put it in maintenance mode instead of continuing with it because battle royale was making more money, claim to be a hero to the devs then refuse to put certain games on their store if they didn't sign the exclusivity deal with them, nearly destroying their employees ,try to scam Apple then try to rally kids in order to win, buy exclusivity deals with games already existing or backed by fans through kickstarter forcing them to then switch to a new launcher, and probably another 50+ things I can't even think of atm I can see why people would create a sub redit dedicated to hating them.

If I hadn't already invested thousands into epic already through fortnite or be forced to use their launcher for Dauntless I'd probably be in that subredit too. They didn't even have proper account recovery at the time my account was hacked and then tried to blame me and then Microsoft(xbox) for it getting hacked only to announce several months later they were at fault.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where does all of Epic's money come from? For the number of acquisitions and free giveaways, they sure have a lot of extra cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Where does all of Epic's money come from? For the number of acquisitions and free giveaways, they sure have a lot of extra cash.
    According to a quick search, Fortnite made 2.5 billions in 2018, and 1.8 billion in 2019. When it launched on the iPhone, it peaked making 2 million a day.

Downloading games from epic is so slow tho. I get twice the speed of not more from steam
    "I'm Tru @ w/e I do" ~ TM

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underverse View Post
    Fortnite makes a shit ton of money, and Tencent owns a large (though not majority) share, so they're flush with cash