Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Can’t make this shit up... grifting to the end:

Trump Hotel in D.C. Hikes up Price for Significant QAnon Date of March 4
    https://www.newsweek.com/qanon-trump...-march-1567489
    That's just smart business, man. No emoluments issue anymore, he can jack up the rates to grift his devoted cultish base all he wants.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    First sitting member of Congress to die from it.
    Posted on said member's Twitter account not three days ago:

Democrats are choosing teachers unions and special interests over the well-being of our students.

The CDC says schools can safely re-open if proper precautions are taken.

What are we waiting for?
    The irony, lol. Rest in piss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    Oh, so he was a death cultist? Loss is always tragic, unless you're a death cultist. Then that's like, literally the fuckin point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Oh, so he was a death cultist? Loss is always tragic, unless you're a death cultist. Then that's like, literally the fuckin point.
    If the timeline meshes up, Ron Wright was on his deathbed in the ICU at the very moment his staffers were sending out that tweet, so...

Yes, death cultists.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiac View Post
    If the timeline meshes up, Ron Wright was on his deathbed in the ICU at the very moment his staffers were sending out that tweet, so...

Yes, death cultists.
    Like I said in my original post: Texas Republican. So, yes.

https://amp.theguardian.com/us-news/...mpression=true

Like May, Turnbull had important issues on his mind, in this case steel tariffs. Taking his chance, Turnbull collared Trump, who was obsessing about something else. “Donald said: ‘Malcolm, do you want to see my SCIF? It is so cool.’ I had no idea what he was talking about. I thought he was talking about a boat [a skiff]. We turned around a corner and there was this big steel box about the size of a shipping container.”

Trump pulled Turnbull into what turned out to be a “sensitive compartmented information facility”, an ultra-secure communications hub, with the new French president, Emmanuel Macron, also in tow.

“He said: ‘This is so cool – when you’re in there, nobody can hear you, not even the Chinese. It’s so secret.”
    Yo, I hope all the world leaders and their aides (and Trumps) keep blabbin about all this insane shit. Like, yo, Republicans, aren't y'all the ones who endlessly whinge about security? And your guy held a fucking functioning situation room out of the restaurant of his Florida hotel, while a foreign leader was sitting there dining. And brought another foreign leader into a secure sciff on a whim.

I'm going to be reminding any "conservative" who ever tries to talk security that their guy spent 4 years as the single largest security risk to the US, including divulging intelligence from allies to a hostile country without their approval, and they remained silent.

10+ Year Old Account
    "This is so cool".
    Real raiders are too busy killing mythic bosses to hang out in trade chat, bragging about their ilvl.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    I should let @cubby answer this one, but I think the answer is "Dominion has no proof Trump ordered Giuliani to make those exact statements". If it comes up in trial, due to subpoena for example, you'll see him added to the defendants instantly.

Now that said, I'm fairly sure Trump also said some things about Dominion being broken while he was in office, but even the worst of those pale in comparison to what Giuliani said. He's by far the easier target.
    I wonder how they calculated $1.3 B worth of damage.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    You are correct - Errors and Omissions typically covers accidental mistakes (filing errors, typos, etc) that result in claims brought against practicing attorneys. It absolutely does not cover illegal behavior. Attorneys also have malpractice insurance, which is a broader policy covering a host of other actions by attorneys that result in claims brought against them. MP insurance probably won't cover this, and it certainly won't cover the total damages sought. After the cap, the attorney/firm is on the hook for the remainder of the judgment.

Dominion and [can't recall name] have filed a brilliant law suit. And they have a really good chance to win. And as a benefit, they get to make Lil Rudy admit he had no proof (recall that Rudi continues to say he has proof, but has yet to present it).
    I thought malpractice is limited to negligent acts? Are intentional fraudulent claims covered under malpractice (i.e. gross negligence)?
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-02-08 at 07:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dextersmith View Post
    I wonder how they calculated $1.3 B worth of damage.
    Possibly punative, added to actual damages.

Giuliani is worth $45 million.

Dominion makes under that in a year, so $1.3 billion would be 25 years of revenue.

In this article Dominion says it already expects to lose $200 million in the next five years because of statements from Giuliani and Powell. Says an expert in the field:

When you run out of gas in this industry, it's either because you run out of cash or you run out of reputation. And that's when things go bankrup or things get acquired
    If Giuliani's statements destroyed Dominion, and did so under false pretenses, asking for all the business Giuliani cost them seems fair. I guess Giuliani could take the FOX defense "everyone knows I'm not a credible source of information" but the problem was, he was speaking directly as Trump's lawyer at the time, and even if he didn't people actually believed him to the point of a murderous insurrection.

I suspect the other $1 billion and change is a "Don't fuck with us" sign wrapped around a sledgehammer. It's intended to be a blunt instrument, beating Giulian into a settlement. Dominion wants their name "cleared" from all this, and Giuliani admitting he was wrong, in public, does that. Giuliani doesn't even have the $200 million of losses Dominion says they'll lose, so even a modest judgement on the facts could ruin him forever. If it were my case, I'd offer Giuliani the chance to buy his way out of the lawsuit with a public admission he was wrong -- and a signed contract saying, that if Giuliani ever goes back on that apology, he forfeits $200 million before his will goes into effect. Giuliani works with Trump, he knows all about NDAs.

I don't know if any judge would ever rationally put a $1 billion judgement against Giuliani.

I also theorized earlier that Dominion is waiting for Giuliani to say "Trump made me do it". Trump might not have $1.3 billion either, but based on his loans coming due, even if he has it he can't spare it. The second Trump becomes a legal target in this, the price tag skyrockets. Trump's words and actions are a matter of objective public record. A judge could get to decide how much attacking democracy directly should cost. How much starting a murderous insurrection should cost. How much making the US into the laughingstock of the world, by standing on a pile of four hundred thousand dead Americans and claiming you won the election but it was stolen by voting machines, should cost. By having that judgement come before bankruptcy or Trump's will, it would not just bankrupt Trump personally but also his entire family, many of whom run businesses Trump props up, like Ivanka and Kushner.

We might actually find out which Trump values more: his family, or pretending he won the election.

I hope it gets there. I don't know that it will. Either way, Giuliani's good and fucked. He knows Trump won't bail him out, because he's no longer useful to Trump.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/colum...wjy-story.html

Good silly op-ed about how DEMONcrats are totes infecting Republicans with covid. The Republicans that "proudly" decide to ignore all medical advise and treat the virus as a hoax, at least.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    I thought malpractice is limited to negligent acts? Are intentional fraudulent claims covered under malpractice (i.e. gross negligence)?
    I don't believe they would be, and even so, the insurance coverage is capped - so [if found guilty] he's fucked regardless.
    Last edited by cubby; 2021-02-08 at 07:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good silly op-ed
    I think the best part is

At my Masks Are Tyranny advocacy group’s planning session Tuesday afternoon, I got close to the faces of several members and loudly exclaimed, “WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?”

I don't believe they would be, and even so, the insurance coverage is capped - so [if found guilty] he's fucked regardless.
    The best part is that if his coverage is denied, he will need to fund his own defense. There is a saying "A Lawyer Who Represents Him or Herself Has a Fool for a Client." On the other hand, Giuliani conduct so far put him firmly in the fool category. So we will see.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    The best part is that if his coverage is denied, he will need to fund his own defense. There is a saying "A Lawyer Who Represents Him or Herself Has a Fool for a Client." On the other hand, Giuliani conduct so far put him firmly in the fool category. So we will see.
    Indeed - he will need serious and expensive representation. Dominion has deep fucking pockets, so Lil Rudi won't be able to bury them in paperwork. People might laugh this suit off (not you, others) in the overall situation with Trump/Giuliani and their multiple felonies, but this kind of thing is a great way to punish them - take their money and livelihood. As an analogous example, Capone killed multiple people and committed untold number of crimes, but he eventually went to jail for tax evasion.

This is how the Trump Crime Family will go down.

Indeed - he will need serious and expensive representation. Dominion has deep fucking pockets, so Lil Rudi won't be able to bury them in paperwork. People might laugh this suit off (not you, others) in the overall situation with Trump/Giuliani and their multiple felonies, but this kind of thing is a great way to punish them - take their money and livelihood. As an analogous example, Capone killed multiple people and committed untold number of crimes, but he eventually went to jail for tax evasion.

This is how the Trump Crime Family will go down.
    So how much can a lawsuit like this cost Rudi? This will give people some good idea of the kind of funding required for a lawsuit like this.

The Texas attorney general’s office asked the Legislature for $43 million to pay the outside counsels for Google lawsuit.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-02-08 at 08:13 PM.

So how much can a lawsuit like this cost Rudi? This will give people some good idea.

The Texas attorney general’s office asked the Legislature for $43 million to pay the outside counsels for Google lawsuit.
    Ah Republicans, using taxpayers as a blank check to fund their shady legal defenses since like...forever?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    So how much can a lawsuit like this cost Rudi? This will give people some good idea of the kind of funding required for a lawsuit like this.

It will cost him millions - $5M+. And I'm not sure where he's going to find it. I don't know how wealthy he is personally, and I'm sure he made a bundle during the Trump Residency, as most of Trump's Crime Syndicate did, but I don't know if he personally has the resources. And it's unclear if the Trump Legal Fund would cover this - probably not, Trump doesn't even pay his own attorneys.

Assuming he loses, and the verdict is even in the 10's of millions, if he lives long enough and plays out the appeals process, he'll be bankrupt - and still owe millions, because typically judgments can't be discharged in bankruptcy court.

He's fucked. And this isn't the only suit coming down the pipeline against him.

https://twitter.com/ProfBrianKalt/st...22185880727553

Well this is fun. One of the Constitutional Lawyers that Trump's team cites extensively is pretty unhappy that they're grossly misinterpreting his work and failing to cite it accurately, separately.

He points out that House Impeachment managers use his work too, he argued both sides of impeachment so there's a wealth of info for either argument. But they like, accurate cited him and didn't claim he was taking a position opposed to one he actually holds.

/popcorn

This is gonna be good.

Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    Possibly punative, added to actual damages.

Giuliani is worth $45 million.

Dominion makes under that in a year, so $1.3 billion would be 25 years of revenue.

In this article Dominion says it already expects to lose $200 million in the next five years because of statements from Giuliani and Powell. Says an expert in the field:

If Giuliani's statements destroyed Dominion, and did so under false pretenses, asking for all the business Giuliani cost them seems fair. I guess Giuliani could take the FOX defense "everyone knows I'm not a credible source of information" but the problem was, he was speaking directly as Trump's lawyer at the time, and even if he didn't people actually believed him to the point of a murderous insurrection.

I suspect the other $1 billion and change is a "Don't fuck with us" sign wrapped around a sledgehammer. It's intended to be a blunt instrument, beating Giulian into a settlement. Dominion wants their name "cleared" from all this, and Giuliani admitting he was wrong, in public, does that. Giuliani doesn't even have the $200 million of losses Dominion says they'll lose, so even a modest judgement on the facts could ruin him forever. If it were my case, I'd offer Giuliani the chance to buy his way out of the lawsuit with a public admission he was wrong -- and a signed contract saying, that if Giuliani ever goes back on that apology, he forfeits $200 million before his will goes into effect. Giuliani works with Trump, he knows all about NDAs.

I don't know if any judge would ever rationally put a $1 billion judgement against Giuliani.

I also theorized earlier that Dominion is waiting for Giuliani to say "Trump made me do it". Trump might not have $1.3 billion either, but based on his loans coming due, even if he has it he can't spare it. The second Trump becomes a legal target in this, the price tag skyrockets. Trump's words and actions are a matter of objective public record. A judge could get to decide how much attacking democracy directly should cost. How much starting a murderous insurrection should cost. How much making the US into the laughingstock of the world, by standing on a pile of four hundred thousand dead Americans and claiming you won the election but it was stolen by voting machines, should cost. By having that judgement come before bankruptcy or Trump's will, it would not just bankrupt Trump personally but also his entire family, many of whom run businesses Trump props up, like Ivanka and Kushner.

We might actually find out which Trump values more: his family, or pretending he won the election.

I hope it gets there. I don't know that it will. Either way, Giuliani's good and fucked. He knows Trump won't bail him out, because he's no longer useful to Trump.
    Yeah, Giuliani's finished as I can't imagine anyone wanting to work with him in any capacity after everything. Imagine a multimillionaire coming out broke and rekt after working with Trump.

Trump probably wouldn't care if he got caught up in it cause it would be just another bankruptcy.

- - - Updated - - -

It will cost him millions - $5M+. And I'm not sure where he's going to find it. I don't know how wealthy he is personally, and I'm sure he made a bundle during the Trump Residency, as most of Trump's Crime Syndicate did, but I don't know if he personally has the resources. And it's unclear if the Trump Legal Fund would cover this - probably not, Trump doesn't even pay his own attorneys.

Assuming he loses, and the verdict is even in the 10's of millions, if he lives long enough and plays out the appeals process, he'll be bankrupt - and still owe millions, because typically judgments can't be discharged in bankruptcy court.

He's fucked. And this isn't the only suit coming down the pipeline against him.
    What is coming down the pipeline?