10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasulis View Post
    So there are sites selling fake vaccine certificates for $20.

Scammers are selling fake COVID-19 vaccination cards online

But you can get the vaccine for free? They did not even ask for my insurance card when I got my shots. Why pay $20 for something that you get for free?

I am confused.
    We have this. There are people who don't want vaccine, so they procure these to access places that require it.

/shrug

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Long term psychological effects from masks should be the least of their worries in the middle of a pandemic. It's like worrying about a tiny splinter when your arm is gone.
    Considering the fact that many parents are still quite young (< 30) it is understandable that they see COVID19, a disease mainly problematic for older people, as the smaller risk in this scenario.

As far as the individual is concerned, they may be right. Naturally it is quite naive to view your own families fate in a vacuum and disregard the effect of an uncontrolled spread to the community as a whole.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    We have this. There are people who don't want vaccine, so they procure these to access places that require it.

/shrug
    Judging by Israels numbers, these things do not seem to matter in the slightest, aye.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    My concern is that a lot of weaknesses in society have been exposed within society during the pandemic and they are not being fixed. Turns out a lot of institutions are barely functioning, public schools being one.
    Agreed. It's incredible what a kick in the butt the pandemic is, as far as implementing modern technology and teaching methods in Schools goes.
    We suddenly realized how ridiculously far behind we are in these matters... it's not even funny anymore. Kinda embarrassed to call us "first world country".

I hope the trend continues after the immediate threat is over but I won't hold my breath. The public sector loves to sleep on the job just far too damn much.

So there are sites selling fake vaccine certificates for $20.

Scammers are selling fake COVID-19 vaccination cards online

But you can get the vaccine for free? They did not even ask for my insurance card when I got my shots. Why pay $20 for something that you get for free?

I am confused.
    They are scammers, so they don't rely on their customers being smart.

The article says that the trend begun in January, when everyone couldn't get vaccinated that easily; so some of it may be old news - and some might be people who don't understand that you can get the vaccination for free and think that they get away cheaper this way. (And some might have fun and getting one for their dog or something.) And, obviously, the anti-vaxxers as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Judging by Israels numbers, these things do not seem to matter in the slightest, aye.
    We have this green pass app that generates a permit. In theory various places still require these for entry, but in reality almost nobody verifies it. It will probably be dropped soon anyway, as it seems we're mostly past this whole thing.

Though after whole India rebound thing, I'm not that confident, but at least we legitimately have high % of fully vaccinated populace.

/shrug
    If I turn into a brain-eating zombie a year from now, I guess that $20 is a good investment. Although I would not care since I would be a brain-eating zombie.

If I turn into a brain-eating zombie a year from now, I guess that $20 is a good investment. Although I would not care since I would be a brain-eating zombie.
    Whose brain do you think you'll be eating? That poor sucker who dropped $20 on a fake vaccine card, that's who.

I think you still come out the winner, and they they loser, in the end.

We have this green pass app that generates a permit. In theory various places still require these for entry, but in reality almost nobody verifies it. It will probably be dropped soon anyway, as it seems we're mostly past this whole thing.

Though after whole India rebound thing, I'm not that confident, but at least we legitimately have high % of fully vaccinated populace.
    In CA the information is entered into a database. Does not matter for bars and restaurants. However, people planning to attend, teach or work at UC & CSU systems, Caltech and Stanford in the fall must have their names on that State database. That alone will apply to at least 2 million people. Several venues are also considering using that database to screen attendance at their events.

As for India, as of last count, only 10% of India's population have received at least one shot of the vaccine. On top of that Modi's party held giant political rallies in January through March. Which did not help the situation. The worst was the religious ceremonies. Down below are pictures of Hindu devotees attending evening prayers during Kumbh Mela in Haridwar on March 11 and gathering after taking a holy dip in the River Ganges in Haridwar, India, on March 10.

Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-04-28 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The worst was the religious ceremonies.
    Yeah we have plenty these too, much of our past spikes were due to our version of religious fanatics.

This is a real menace.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2021/...bs-get-vaxxed/

Own the Libs; Get Vaxxed
    This is a real headline. This is what it takes to try to convince the death cult, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

This is a real headline. This is what it takes to try to convince the death cult, I suppose.
    that was an amazing read, not even going to lie, a shining example of reverse psychology that is almost ALMOST too sarcastic. but then again, it pretty much sounds like those Breibart articles, so it might, just.. work?

7+ Year Old Account
    It seems we're exporting our death cults, my apologies.
    At least it's a welcoming death cult.

Sylvanas didn't even win the popular vote, she was elected by an indirect election of representatives. #NotMyWarchief

Some real, "hello fellow kids" energy in that column.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Some real, "hello fellow kids" energy in that column.
    Because it’s trying to convince conservatives to get the vaccine, the only way they can... by convincing them it will cause liberal tears and boost Trump... it’s kinda like reverse psychology... yeah, get the vaccine to own the libs... you know... not the whole health thing...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Witchblade77 View Post
    that was an amazing read, not even going to lie, a shining example of reverse psychology that is almost ALMOST too sarcastic. but then again, it pretty much sounds like those Breibart articles, so it might, just.. work?
    National Review is conservative... it’s not a liberal mag trying to sound like a conservative article... I don’t think the article is sincere, but I think the intent is...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Felya View Post
    Because it’s trying to convince conservatives to get the vaccine, the only way they can... by convincing them it will cause liberal tears and boost Trump... it’s kinda like reverse psychology... yeah, get the vaccine to own the libs... you know... not the whole health thing...

- - - Updated - - -

National Review is conservative... it’s not a liberal mag trying to sound like a conservative article... I don’t think the article is sincere, but I think the intent is...
    I realize that and even if I didn't know before, article reccomendations underneath that one would have given a hint of that, for sure. maybe reverse psychology is not the most precise term, but its what it came across as to me. sort of the vibe of "yeah we do not need it, and libs don't expect us to get it, so.. lets do it out of spite" sort of vibe.

and to be honest it does have a bit of a "hello fellow kids" vibe in trying to hit every single talking point and expression and turn of the phrase used in every conservative think piece ever to the point that it reads like a parody. but it may not be one, given where its published, so... yeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    I realize that and even if I didn't know before, article reccomendations underneath that one would have given a hint of that, for sure. maybe reverse psychology is not the most precise term, but its what it came across as to me. sort of the vibe of "yeah we do not need it, and libs don't expect us to get it, so.. lets do it out of spite" sort of vibe.
    Not at all to the bold... I gave my self a lot of rope with that “kinda”... it’s doing a lot of work.
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, the problem is, how do you get FOX News to read this out loud because I am pretty sure the 49% of Republican men are not going to read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

10+ Year Old Account
    The new Indian strain is finally here, total about 40 known positives, 30 of them are arrivals from abroad.

Still no concrete data whether Phizer vaccine holds against it, MOH says it should, but I imagine we'll see in next 2 weeks.

Just when you think peak stupidity has been reached you get surprised. Saw one of those freedum anti-vaxx nutjobs claim that it is illegal to try and eradicate the virus here because of Australia's biodiversity security Act. I think they must have been one of those just open everything up and learn to live with the virus types.

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
    Just when you think peak stupidity has been reached you get surprised. Saw one of those freedum anti-vaxx nutjobs claim that it is illegal to try and eradicate the virus here because of Australia's biodiversity security Act. I think they must have been one of those just open everything up and learn to live with the virus types.
    The actual WHAT now??
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadoowpunk View Post
    Take that haters.
    IF IM STUPID, so is Donald Trump.

The new Indian strain is finally here, total about 40 known positives, 30 of them are arrivals from abroad.

Still no concrete data whether Phizer vaccine holds against it, MOH says it should, but I imagine we'll see in next 2 weeks.
    Our locally grown West Coast Variants, which are currently dominant, seem to be outcompeting the other even more dangerous strains of the virus and preventing those strains from gaining a foothold in California. Crazy roll of the dice.

At the current rate of vaccination, CA should hit herd immunity of around 80 - 90% fully vaccinated by mid-June.

- - - Updated - - -

Interesting results from a UC Riverside large scale study.

The study results show that the nucleic acid vaccines in use in this setting are remarkably effective at elevating (antibody) levels against SARS-CoV-2 antigens. The level and breadth of protection induced by these mRNA vaccines is much greater than that induced by natural infection. After the second mRNA shot, vaccinated people had antibody levels up to 10 times higher than what was found in convalescent plasma from people who recovered from natural infection. The mRNA vaccines also allow the immune system to recognize other novel coronavirus strains, offering hope that vaccination will be effective against emerging virus variants that are circulating around the world.

The mRNA vaccines eclipsed natural infection at one very specific task: recognizing the precise piece of the virus’ spike protein that binds to — and infects — healthy cells.

The spike protein is big, according to Dr. Felgner who participated in the research. In natural infections, the virus manages to hide this vital receptor so the immune system doesn’t see it. If the immune system doesn’t see it, it can’t develop antibodies to it.

“When a person gets infected they develop an immune response, but it’s not against this most important part,” Felgner said. “So the virus can evade the immune response that we develop, and that’s really favorable for the virus. It means it can go on out and propagate in the world, mutate itself more, make more variants.”

But that doesn’t happen with mRNA vaccines. The mRNA instructs the body to manufacture the piece of the spike protein with this otherwise-hidden receptor — which allows the body to produce antibodies to it.

Since vaccination induces a more robust immune response than natural exposure alone, those who’ve recovered from COVID may benefit from getting vaccinated, the paper found.

Next stage of the study is figuring out how long vaccine-induced immunity lasts.

I guess I won't be turning into a brain-eating zombie.
    Last edited by Rasulis; 2021-04-29 at 06:40 PM.