10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    So unjust laws should be... canceled?

What about unjust policies? Or unjust companies? Or unjust attitudes?

Like... that's a seriously fucking deep disconnect. I just don't get it.
    The best part is, it doesn’t matter what they think. Their “justification” doesn’t mean jack shit in a court of law.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PhaelixWW View Post
    So unjust laws should be... canceled?

What about unjust policies? Or unjust companies? Or unjust attitudes?

Like... that's a seriously fucking deep disconnect. I just don't get it.
    Apparently only applies to them on things they like, like gun legislation.

Sometimes I don't know why I keep the libertarian morons around. Maybe because it's fun messing with them.

"Salon reporter Zachary Petrizzo confirms that Oath Keepers founder and leader Stewart Rhodes was at CPAC in Dallas last night as an officially credentialed guest hobnobbing the the elite of the Republican party and conservative movement.

Rhodes was not himself at the January 6th insurrection but he’s the leader of one of the two domestic terrorist groups currently being investigated by the FBI for their role planning and carrying out the January 6th insurrection. He’s at the center of the investigation, as Matt Shuham discussed here as recently as yesterday evening.

And yet, there he was, a guest in good standing at the biggest annual GOP get together. The leaders of the GOP continue to hobnob literally with the folks behind the insurrection. As we’ve discussed, President Trump is making vindication for the Jan 6th insurrectionists the central theme of his 2022 electioneering. The party he leads is following his lead."

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog...he-2022-puzzle
    Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition, to wit: There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect. There is nothing more or else to it, and there never has been, in any place or time. --Frank Wilhoit

So who's hoping the FBI is watching CPAC closely?
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    So who's hoping the FBI is watching CPAC closely?
    Probably, enough of them are in the audience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/07/13/trum...t-capitol.html

One of the most notorious defendants charged in the Jan. 6 riot by Trump supporters thought that he and other rioters had invaded the White House that day and not the U.S. Capitol, newly released video reveals.

This is me, touching the f------ White House,” bragged Douglas Austin Jensen as he was stood on the Capitol grounds, according to a selfie video from his own cellphone that day, during which he also chased a police officer while leading a pack of rioters.

“This is why we’re here.”

I am at the White House, just so you know,” Jensen said after capturing on video other members of the mob gathered outside the Capitol building.

Jensen’s lack of awareness about where he actually was played a role in the decision Tuesday by Washington federal court Judge Timothy Kelly to release Jensen after six months in jail into home confinement in Iowa.

Kelly reportedly said during a court hearing that Jensen does not seem as someone who could have planned the attack since he seemed to have “no basic understanding of where he even was that day.”
    Well that's a novel approach, "My client couldn't have planned anything because he's too dumb to even know where the fuck he is."

Nobody has ever credibly accused a single rioter of being smart.

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.theroot.com/capitol-riot...ile-1847281477

Have you ever sat around wondering, “What does a white man in America have to do to stay locked up?” Well, if you have, you can, unfortunately, cross “be convicted of attempted murder, join a white supremacist prison gang and then later take part in an attempt to overthrow the U.S. government” off of your list of potential offenses that will put a white man under the jail.

As it turns out, a man who fits the above description was allowed on Monday to plead guilty to a misdemeanor charge related to the Jan. 6 riot in the U.S. Capitol and was sentenced to six months in jail with credit for time served on all but two days of that sentence.

According to CNN, Michael Curzio, 35, will be released from jail on Wednesday because, due to his prior criminal record, he’s remained in lockup since his arrest on Jan 14.

Mr. Curzio should be sentenced to the six-month statutory maximum,” federal Judge Carl Nichols said at Curzio’s hearing. “I am not in a position to be able to impose a longer sentence than that. I think that six-month sentence is appropriate here. Mr. Curzio will have, in two days, served that entire sentence.

The Summerfield, Fla., man previously served eight years in prison after being found guilty of first-degree attempted murder for shooting his ex-girlfriend’s new boyfriend in the chest, and while he was in prison, he joined a violent white supremacist gang known as the Unforgiven, Newsweek reports.
    Just a reminder that yes, there were tons of white supremacists and actual criminals at the insurrection. I get that he's served his time previously, even if it clearly didn't rehabilitate him and in fact only made him worse, but if folks wonder what it takes to put a violent white supremacist behind bars for some time, apparently it's a bit more than "storming the Capitol building".

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

Just a reminder that yes, there were tons of white supremacists and actual criminals at the insurrection. I get that he's served his time previously, even if it clearly didn't rehabilitate him and in fact only made him worse, but if folks wonder what it takes to put a violent white supremacist behind bars for some time, apparently it's a bit more than "storming the Capitol building".
    You can bet your ass though if a minority who served time for being caught with a single joint of weed got arrested for jaywalking or loitering then they would be thrown in jail for the maximum they possibly could plus throw on extra time for being a repeat offender.

10+ Year Old Account

What they're missing, in their vain protests at how low his sentence was, is that he was allowed to plea to a misdemeanor which carried that low a sentence, dropping any related charges.

That's the shit that needs to stop. Unless it's giving you ironclad evidence to crucify a bigger fish on a much bigger charge, stop giving people like this sweetheart plea deals and then throwing your hands up and saying "gosh shucks, 6 months is all we can give him for that!" That just means you're complicit, dipshits.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pathora44 View Post
    You can bet your ass though if a minority who served time for being caught with a single joint of weed got arrested for jaywalking or loitering then they would be thrown in jail for the maximum they possibly could plus throw on extra time for being a repeat offender.
    This is what I'm getting at.

You're a black teen caught with a single joint in your pocket? You're getting convicted of intent to traffic and the whole roster.

You're a frothing white supremacist with a criminal record? You'll get offered a chance to plea to "jaywalking" and walk.

The issue isn't just in sentencing. It's how you pick what charges to apply. It's in how fiercely they get defended in court. It's in how willing prosecutors are to offer a plea deal, and how willing public defenders are to accept one. The whole system is biased, it isn't any one thing.

https://thehill.com/opinion/judiciar...munity-and-doj

Mo Brooks is trying a new defense for the civil lawsuits he's facing for his role in the Jan. 6 riots - "I was doing my job as a member of the Federal government and cannot be prosecuted for doing my job."

Yes, the same defense the Barr led DoJ used when trying to defend Trump from the defamation lawsuit from Jean Carroll, where they argued that Trump insulting and defaming her was a part of his presidential duties.

10+ Year Old Account

Mo Brooks is trying a new defense for the civil lawsuits he's facing for his role in the Jan. 6 riots - "I was doing my job as a member of the Federal government and cannot be prosecuted for doing my job."

Yes, the same defense the Barr led DoJ used when trying to defend Trump from the defamation lawsuit from Jean Carroll, where they argued that Trump insulting and defaming her was a part of his presidential duties.
    Fuck. Immunity.

Political figures should have less protections for issues like this than Average Joe Citizen. Not more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Fuck. Immunity.

Political figures should have less protections for issues like this than Average Joe Citizen. Not more.
    But how will they do their jobs if they have to worry about issues like this?

Carefully. They do their jobs fucking carefully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Fuck. Immunity.

Remember how immunity from prosecution was one of the big sticking points that led to the fall of the Roman Republic?

Good times... Good times...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Poopymonster View Post
    But how will they do their jobs if they have to worry about issues like this?

Carefully. They do their jobs fucking carefully.
    "But what about all the frivolous lawsuits people would file for partisan reasons?"

You're asking the wrong damned question. Why aren't you punishing people for bringing frivolous lawsuits, no matter who they target?

The constitution's clause about immunity for members of congress only applies for things they say on the congressional floor. The clause about not being harassed to/from congress doesn't absolve you of crimes you commit while doing so (or any other crimes), just prevents you from being arrested on the way to and from (edit: this is why the house rules with the metal detector involve fines and not barring the member from the chamber). I can't imagine this argument is going to have any success. The only question is if this idiot is so delusional as to believe it or whether it's just fodder for the cult, like all the election lawsuits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

A Fetus is not a person under the 14th amendment.

Christians are Forced Birth Fascists against Human Rights who indoctrinate and groom children. Prove me wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by szechuan View Post
    National Lampoo's Washington Vacation? :P

You know, I hate to be the person who stereotypes people(as it is a disgusting thing to do), but after reading the headline and watching the video, they were as I imagined they would be. Sometimes people do become the stereotype.

My favorite part is that they posted and messaged people bragging about breaking into the Capitol building.

The way these people are ratting themselves out and voluntarily providing all the evidence prosecutors need is genuinely astounding to me. My favorite part is that it was an in-law that reported them to the FBI. I guarantee it won't take the family too long to figure out who it was and kick them off their Christmas card list.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article...se-prosecutors

Man shows up to insurrection pretending to be "FAKE NEWS MEDIA", claims he has press protections. He is not a member of the media, and does not have press protections.
    So… not actually pretending? A bit on the nose. I love it.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-6/8011859002/

A Florida man became the first felon sentenced Monday for his role in the Jan. 6 insurrection at the U.S. Capitol, receiving eight months in prison and being ordered to pay $2,000 in restitution for a portion of the damage to the building.

Hodgkins, 38, of Tampa, faced sentencing guidelines of 15 to 21 months in prison after pleading guilty to obstruction of an official proceeding for interrupting Congress' counting of Electoral College votes. He spent 15 minutes in the Senate chamber, holding a flag for former President Donald Trump and taking pictures.

District Judge Randolph Moss called waving literally waving the flag for Trump was an unmistakable sign of loyalty to a single person rather than the country and democracy.

“Although Mr. Hodgkins was only one member of a larger mob, he actively and intentionally participated in an event that threatened not only the security of the Capitol but democracy itself,” Moss said. "That is chilling, for many reasons."

“I can say without a shadow of a doubt that I am truly remorseful and regretful for my actions in Washington," Hodgkins told the court. “This was a foolish decision on my part that I take full responsibility for it."
    First felony conviction, 8 months for the dude that brought a Trump flag to the Senate floor.