The Unstoppable Force Lorgar Aurelian's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Why did Moiraine leave Lan behind? Just think about it! Give your best shot!

Please nothing stupid like she was trying to save his life or she believed Lan would tell Nene!
    just spit balling but there could be a few reasons. She could see that he’s happy with nyneave and wants to give him a chance at that. She could have planned to always leave him behind so he could become king after the “dark one” was dealt with. And then the obvious ones you already listed.

Worse part? WHY DOES LAN NOT KNOW WHERE EYE OF THE WORLD IS! He is from Malkier! Eye of the world in this show is the place that was "used" to trap DO. How does Moiraine know the place and Lan doesn't? Nevermind, Lan in show is useless. Unlike super Nene.
    I believe the show (and books) say that the blight lands were lost a while ago so even though he might be from malkier they might not have maps of the area.

For Moiraine knowing where it is she mentions the towers records and how they were destroyed so no one knows what the eye actually is, it could just be that the records are books missing pages or something so it could say where the eye of the world is but all pages beyond that are torn out.

So do you argue just for the sake of it? I just said that a Myrrdral can't channel. Where did you see a Myrrdral channel?
    are we arguing? I just wanted to talk about wheel of time more…

And I would assume the powers they do have could also open the ways even if they can’t channel, they are going to need to explain them using the ways some how after all.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorgar Aurelian View Post
    just spit balling but there could be a few reasons. She could see that he’s happy with nyneave and wants to give him a chance at that. She could have planned to always leave him behind so he could become king after the “dark one” was dealt with. And then the obvious ones you already listed. I believe the show (and books) say that the blight lands were lost a while ago so even though he might be from malkier they might not have maps of the area. For Moiraine knowing where it is she mentions the towers records and how they were destroyed so no one knows what the eye actually is, it could just be that the records are books missing pages or something so it could say where the eye of the world is but all pages beyond that are torn out. are we arguing? I just wanted to talk about wheel of time more… And I would assume the powers they do have could also open the ways even if they can’t channel, they are going to need to explain them using the ways some how after all.
    Born and raised in the Borderlands, with over 2 decades of living and learning about the Blight. Fal Dara was almost home to him.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Born and raised in the Borderlands, with over 2 decades of living and learning about the Blight. Fal Dara was almost home to him.
    That doesn’t mean he or any one else living there would know exactly where the eye or the world is though as it was lost so long ago.
    All I ever wanted was the truth. Remember those words as you read the ones that follow. I never set out to topple my father's kingdom of lies from a sense of misplaced pride. I never wanted to bleed the species to its marrow, reaving half the galaxy clean of human life in this bitter crusade. I never desired any of this, though I know the reasons for which it must be done. But all I ever wanted was the truth.

15+ Year Old Account
    That doesn’t mean he or any one else living there would know exactly where the eye or the world is though as it was lost so long ago.
    The show does present it as a dilemma. I believe it is stated that sisters have studied it (Edit: The show says records of it were purged from the tower by darkfriends) but no one knows what it was used for. It isn't that far into the blight because we can see Tarwins Gap so in living memory it would have to once have been outside of the blight border as it was less then a day away. Yet Borderlanders know nothing of it and Lan has never heard of a rumored location since he has to track them. Though he might have just wanted confirmation even if he knew where to go.

If it was "protected" similar to the books the show didn't do a good job of presenting that to viewers though I could have missed whatever cues if they did. I do wonder if they had to cut somethings from the budget or something because the description given for the eye of the world on the "explore" part of the show mentions a shimmering blue pool in the eye of the world.

Deep in the middle of the Blight lies a stone outcropping. Carved by people rather than nature, the stones surround a giant sinkhole overgrown with vines and greenery. A dark, hand-carved stairwell leads downward into the ground. At the bottom of the inverted tower is a well filled with turquoise blue water. This is the Dark One’s prison. This is the Eye of the World.
    Last edited by rhorle; 2022-01-07 at 04:28 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Surfd View Post
    I am just going to stop you there, because that's the only bit you got right. Wheel of Time, as written by the author has a very specific world setting, very specific lore, very specific characters, and very specific plot.

If you are going to "adapt" those, you don't start by making major changes that fundamentally alter the characters, lore, plot and setting and then pretending that it is still the same thing. If you do, it's no longer "Wheel of Time". Full stop. Attempting to argue otherwise is insanity.

A few Minor changes are occasionally acceptable when it comes to adaptations, such as updating Romeo and Juliette to take place in "modern" times, for example. Making sweeping changes to basically EVERYTHING simultaneously is not.
    You can use the wheel of time world and create and story you want with it, its still the wheel of time, the story in the books is not the only way you can tell a story using the same world as the wheel of time. You are just upset you are not getting the exact same story from the books.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    A really big part of the story IS the route. And to be clear I don't just mean the physical road the characters travel. I don't really have an issue with certan important events happening in a different place or condensing places, they only had 8 episodes after all. I also mean character development, motivation, focus. Most characters are not even close to the way they are in the books, so that makes for a very different story playing out.

I already said that if you look at the show on it's own I would give it a 5 or a 6... a tad lower than the average, but still watchable. I can not in good faith consider this an adaptation though. You have not provided any argument that swayed my mind, so I guess we are just disagreeing on that.
    They can adapt and create any story they want using the wheel of time world, it doesnt have to be a 1 for 1 copy of the books and doesnt need to be, its still the wheel of time regardless of what route the story is taking.
    STAR-J4R9-YYK4 use this for 5000 credits in star citizen

Quote Originally Posted by kenn9530 View Post
    You can use the wheel of time world and create and story you want with it, its still the wheel of time, the story in the books is not the only way you can tell a story using the same world as the wheel of time. You are just upset you are not getting the exact same story from the books. - - - Updated - - - They can adapt and create any story they want using the wheel of time world, it doesnt have to be a 1 for 1 copy of the books and doesnt need to be, its still the wheel of time regardless of what route the story is taking.
    How old are you...? You do realize someone did try your fucked up shit and the author, who was alive then, rained legal hell on those responsible. You dole out a child's argument to support what you imagine is logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Robert Jordan: If you want to write erotica, fine. I like reading erotica, sometimes. But if you write erotica using my characters and post it, I WILL find you, and I will come down on you like the Hammer of God. I've found some very raunchy, and very badly written, examples of that, and I don't like it a bit."

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    The show does present it as a dilemma. I believe it is stated that sisters have studied it (Edit: The show says records of it were purged from the tower by darkfriends) but no one knows what it was used for. It isn't that far into the blight because we can see Tarwins Gap so in living memory it would have to once have been outside of the blight border as it was less then a day away. Yet Borderlanders know nothing of it and Lan has never heard of a rumored location since he has to track them. Though he might have just wanted confirmation even if he knew where to go.

If it was "protected" similar to the books the show didn't do a good job of presenting that to viewers though I could have missed whatever cues if they did. I do wonder if they had to cut somethings from the budget or something because the description given for the eye of the world on the "explore" part of the show mentions a shimmering blue pool in the eye of the world.
    I think it’s like trying to find a cave in a mountain side, you might be able to see the mountain from a distance and even know a general area where the cave might be but to actually find it without for knowledge could still take hours or days of looking.
    Last edited by Lorgar Aurelian; 2022-01-07 at 04:50 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    They can adapt and create any story they want using the wheel of time world, it doesnt have to be a 1 for 1 copy of the books and doesnt need to be, its still the wheel of time regardless of what route the story is taking.
    What they CAN do is irrelevant in this discussion, they have the license. My point is that with what they DID do, they did not manage to portray the world, the characters or the story in the books well enough to call it an adaptation. This is something new that borrows a bunch of names from the original and very little else. And they absolutally can do that. But they sure as hell should not be surprised when a bunch of fans of the books feel that is a massive missed opportunity. There would be a lot less fans of the books upset if the quality of what was delivered at least approached what was in the books.

Face it, they thought they could do better than RJ and they missed. As a result a lot of the fans of the books are dissapointed. No matter of blaming the "bookcloaks" (I mean, really? invent a slur because people don't like what you made?) is going to change that.

even if he came out alone he could have Myrddraal open the portal while moving troops through the ways to drop him off.
    Fades can't channel. Which isn't an issue if the ways don't require channeling like in the books.

Why are you repeating that it was lost? Where does it say so? Lost how? And if it was lost, what "clue" did Moiraine use to find it? Considering how little this WT knows about anything, how did they successfully managed to "preserve" clues? There was not one scene where there was a discussion over how to find this Eye.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond View Post
    Why are you repeating that it was lost? Where does it say so? Lost how? And if it was lost, what "clue" did Moiraine use to find it? Considering how little this WT knows about anything, how did they successfully managed to "preserve" clues? There was not one scene where there was a discussion over how to find this Eye.
    There is a scene where lann explains that they call him king but that he will never actually be one because Malkier was swallowed by the blight and then another where Moiraine explains that the white tower knows about the eye but that there records were lost so they don’t know what it was actually for.

I’d assume the location is part of the info they still have about the eye.

There is a scene where lann explains that they call him king but that he will never actually be one because Malkier was swallowed by the blight and then another where Moiraine explains that the white tower knows about the eye but that there records were lost so they don’t know what it was actually for.

I’d assume the location is part of the info they still have about the eye.
    Which again is a massive unnecessary change from the book.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    Which again is a massive unnecessary change from the book.
    Sure I guess? Book good, show bad yada yada.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    How old are you...? You do realize someone did try your fucked up shit and the author, who was alive then, rained legal hell on those responsible. You dole out a child's argument to support what you imagine is logic.

- - - Updated - - -

Robert Jordan: If you want to write erotica, fine. I like reading erotica, sometimes. But if you write erotica using my characters and post it, I WILL find you, and I will come down on you like the Hammer of God. I've found some very raunchy, and very badly written, examples of that, and I don't like it a bit."
    If someone has the rights to the world the books are from they can do whatever they want, make a completely new story or make is slightly different, its only your opinion if you think the books are better than what the tv series is doing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mazza View Post
    What they CAN do is irrelevant in this discussion, they have the license. My point is that with what they DID do, they did not manage to portray the world, the characters or the story in the books well enough to call it an adaptation. This is something new that borrows a bunch of names from the original and very little else. And they absolutally can do that. But they sure as hell should not be surprised when a bunch of fans of the books feel that is a massive missed opportunity. There would be a lot less fans of the books upset if the quality of what was delivered at least approached what was in the books.

Face it, they thought they could do better than RJ and they missed. As a result a lot of the fans of the books are dissapointed. No matter of blaming the "bookcloaks" (I mean, really? invent a slur because people don't like what you made?) is going to change that.
    An adaptation is a version of the story from the same world not a direct copy of it so yes they did adapt it just fine, book fans are not the sole autority on what is better or not, the quality of the books is not the greatest with it having plenty of flaws on its own. No matter how good the tv series is or not you can not please everyone. The fact is the tv series is good.

No matter how good the tv series is or not you can not please everyone.
    Right. Because we can't please absolutely EVERYONE, we should just accept anything. Since because it'll never be 100%, anything from 1-99% is EXACTLY THE SAME and we shouldn't argue about degrees of quality AT ALL.

Makes total sense.

Sure I guess? Book good, show bad yada yada.
    Book excellent, show, okay, or good by today standards, but noticeably less than the book and by some distance. If you read the book you will be very disappointed with the show. If you ignore the book your impression of the show might be better.. things always look even worse than they are when set against a better version of themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Right. Because we can't please absolutely EVERYONE, we should just accept anything. Since because it'll never be 100%, anything from 1-99% is EXACTLY THE SAME and we shouldn't argue about degrees of quality AT ALL.

Makes total sense.
    The show is good and does its job as entertainment, the books for most ppl provide no entertainment at all and can be said to have questionable quality in many areas.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    Book excellent, show, okay, or good by today standards, but noticeably less than the book and by some distance. If you read the book you will be very disappointed with the show. If you ignore the book your impression of the show might be better.. things always look even worse than they are when set against a better version of themselves.
    I personally wouldn’t put the books at excellent levels but more or less I agree.

The show on its own is I think is fine I enjoyed it in its own right.

The show as an adaptation of the books is really bad and I can’t think of any change that i actually like and there’s a lot I wish was kept in even if I understand why they were cut.

It is amazing the lengths people will lie to themselves to pretend the show is good, when actually it is very mediocre at best, and compared to the books a steaming pile of shit. I am not going to be thankful we got an adaptation when the adaptation is garbage, I would rather have never had a tv show than get one like this.

The books were great stories, the tv show are a barely coherent mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    It's a strange and illogical world where not wanting your 10 year old daughter looking at female-identifying pre-op penises at the YMCA could feasibly be considered transphobic.

I personally wouldn’t put the books at excellent levels but more or less I agree.

The show on its own is I think is fine I enjoyed it in its own right.

The show as an adaptation of the books is really bad and I can’t think of any change that i actually like and there’s a lot I wish was kept in even if I understand why they were cut.
    I honestly don't understand how like I said there are so many issues from an objective standpoint without even looking at the issues in terms of adaptation.