View Poll Results: Based off quality, how much SHOULD a WoW sub cost now?

Voters
425. This poll is closed
  • $15 a month

77 18.12%
  • $99.99 a month

33 7.76%
  • $12.99 a month

26 6.12%
  • $10.99 a month

38 8.94%
  • $5.99 a month

108 25.41%
  • $Pay 2 Win

5 1.18%
  • $Its Already Pay 2 Win

35 8.24%
  • Absolutely Free

103 24.24%
Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Well I am a WoW vet and between the destruction of the game and the absurd 21 a month fee I don't plan on playing unless they drop tbe sub fee or the box price per expansion.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2022-03-19 at 06:09 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceVega View Post
    If they go free the game is dead and everything you guys complain about will get pumped up to 100. Sooo... no keep it as it is
    One of my biggest worries, honestly. We won't see a better future if it went Free-2-Play, we would be stuck, or get worse.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    In it's current state, It should be a p2p game, not worth a sub at all.
    You mean, B2P? (Buy-To-Play, like Guild Wars 2)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ChairmanKaga View Post
    With inflation isn't it essentially cheaper now than it's ever been?
    Yup, quite cheaper than it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    Considering the lack of content, and time between patches, there shouldn't be a sub fee, or if there is it should be very small like $5 a month, which is more realistic.
    With one single button press, there wouldn't be a subscription between patches, that is a freedom we all have. If we do not believe the game warrants 15 dollars a month, then we can stop playing. For me, 15 dollars is nothing, I can't find a single hobby cheaper - and this comes from someone also playing another subscription MMORPG, and still can't find a cheaper monthly hobby.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

If a wow sub could cost in euro its actual value in dollars, I'd be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    One of my biggest worries, honestly. We won't see a better future if it went Free-2-Play, we would be stuck, or get worse.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Yup, quite cheaper than it should be.

- - - Updated - - -

With one single button press, there wouldn't be a subscription between patches, that is a freedom we all have. If we do not believe the game warrants 15 dollars a month, then we can stop playing. For me, 15 dollars is nothing, I can't find a single hobby cheaper - and this comes from someone also playing another subscription MMORPG, and still can't find a cheaper monthly hobby.
    21CAD here, that is a lot to only have access to a single shit game in it's current state. For comparrison Gamepass is 17CAD a month and you get free games every month that you own and access to new releases and almost 200 games. Though I am almost certain modern WoW is going to get added to Gamepass when the deal finishes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    21CAD here, that is a lot to only have access to a single shit game in it's current state. For comparrison Gamepass is 17CAD a month and you get free games every month that you own and access to new releases and almost 200 games. Though I am almost certain modern WoW is going to get added to Gamepass when the deal finishes.
    Not sure of the value of the currency in your own country but for me, 15 dollars is barely even a trip to the cinema, can get a normal-sized pizza for it. I don't have GamePass due to not having an Xbox, nor an interest in playing most games that is produced lately.

I doubt WoW at the current with its end of the deal is going to be on Game Pass until a few years later, though.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Yes, that's what I meant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmilblick View Post
    Yes, that's what I meant.
    Goodie, was just asking ^^

Not sure of the value of the currency in your own country but for me, 15 dollars is barely even a trip to the cinema, can get a normal-sized pizza for it. I don't have GamePass due to not having an Xbox, nor an interest in playing most games that is produced lately.

I doubt WoW at the current with its end of the deal is going to be on Game Pass until a few years later, though.
    A good Pizza here is like 25CAD. It is just a bad deal if you are Canadian unless it is the only game you play I guess but I like new experiences personally and WoW is losing value more and more every day imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    A good Pizza here is like 25CAD. It is just a bad deal if you are Canadian unless it is the only game you play I guess but I like new experiences personally and WoW is losing value more and more every day imo.
    To me, I compare it with other hobbies and how much time I get out of the other hobbies, and WoW is still the heavyweight as long as I have what I seek in a hobby.

Its one of the few things that hasn't risen in cost. Unchanged since 2004.

Lets say you play 2 hours a day. That's 60 hours a month.

That's 25 cents an hour of entertainment.

That's a goddamn steal.

If you're not enjoying it, don't play.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Lets be honest, WoW xpacs lately haven't really been a huge success.

When the product of a company loses its quality, why should it cost the same?
    The price in USD has been the same since release in '04, actually cheaper if you sub for 6m at a time.

Using an inflation calculator (https://smartasset.com/investing/inf...tor#wvQIY34FRE) the $15 sub in 04 should be $21 to USD today.

So if anything we are getting a better value for content than we were back in '04. Now the real question is if you consider that content a valuable use of your time. When wow came out I was in my early 20s and played about 25-30 hours a week. I'm now nearly 40 and I play about 5-10 hours a week. I don't play all the content available but I still have fun.

Seems like a good deal to me. When it stops being so I'll unsub but for now $~0.35 an hour for some casual distraction fine.
    The Right isn't universally bad. The Left isn't universally good. The Left isn't universally bad. The Right isn't universally good. Legal doesn't equal moral. Moral doesn't equal legal. Illegal doesn't equal immoral. Immoral doesn't equal illegal.

Have a nice day.

To me, I compare it with other hobbies and how much time I get out of the other hobbies, and WoW is still the heavyweight as long as I have what I seek in a hobby.
    As a true gamer and game designer I cannot just play one game, I just know all my close friends who used to play and their #1 reason for stopping was the price followerd by the atrocious lore. At the very least they should drop the box price, one month of subs pays the developers for several years so there is no excuse for that in particular.
    Last edited by Unholyground; 2022-03-19 at 07:05 PM.

With the quality of Shadowlands, the game should be f2P.

Its not fair comparison, I have couple of hobbies gaming and development included. I spend many hours on app development but it's not always time i enjoy to maximum.
    So there is a factor to it as well. Lets say dev stuff is baseline factor of 1. Great games such as Satisfactory elevate that factor to 2. Very good games ~1.5.

But dev tools cost me $200 a year with unlimited time which is basically free, so the actual enjoyment per year (assuming 10h per day) 365*10*1 = 3650
    While playin wow right for entire year now is a factor of 0.1 would be 365*10*0.1 = 365

So I get 3650 enjoyment value from development in a year for $200
    and 365 value from wow for $180
    we have a clear winner here.

Satisfactory took me 200h and i will probably play more in a future for $80 = 400 value with just 200 hours.

So to surmise there are 3 factors to consider = enjoyment factor, cost, and hours spent for cost.
    Ship has been abandoned.
    ---

NextUI for XIV

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    Its one of the few things that hasn't risen in cost. Unchanged since 2004.

Lets say you play 2 hours a day. That's 60 hours a month.

That's 25 cents an hour of entertainment.

That's a goddamn steal.

If you're not enjoying it, don't play.
    Pretty much this. I honestly don't get why people would want the game to go f2p or b2p. The sub also helps keep out some issues that popular f2p or b2p games have. There would be more toxicity, more botting and cheating, things like that. It's a barrier.

The only thing I personally think should happen is the prices of expansions go down, with the sub remaining as is. I don't disagree with people that the quality of the game has gone down, but reducing the sub isn't the answer. Reduce the expansion box price instead.
    Last edited by Nerph-; 2022-03-19 at 08:07 PM.

i'm just comparing to other mmo's i play that don't have a sub.
    i find more enjoyment in those than i do in WoW so therefore a sub just isn't worth it.

and since i came to that conclusion i can never again accept a sub. also proponents of the sub always seem to have this idealized version of it in mind where all that money goes into further development and that there's no other things involved with a price tag. which afaik has never even existed.
    I had fun once, it was terrible.

Since the Microsoft acquisition I figured they might look into doing a tiered subscription service for WoW.

1: Access to WoW and maybe 12 character slots. 8.99
    2: Access to WoW and one version of Classic with 24 characters slots each. 10.99
    3: Access to WoW and two versions of Classic with 36 character slots for each. 12.99
    Original: The 14.99 we have now with access to all versions of Classic.

I thought this might be something they're cooking up to work with Game Pass somehow but I'm not sure as I have no basis for thinking it will go that way. Not sure if it would be a good idea or a bad one but a lower sub for people who don't care about Classic or a middle sub for people who care about 1 or 2 specific versions could be interesting to someone maybe? It's whatever I don't mind either way I'd probably get the full sub as I spend a lot of time on all versions. Edit: This is just my honest opinion and preference but to me Legion was a 14.99 expansion, BFA was 12.99 and SL is 10.99.
    Last edited by Bloodbayne; 2022-03-19 at 08:33 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodbayne View Post
    Since the Microsoft acquisition I figured they might look into doing a tiered subscription service for WoW.
    It is possible but Microsoft didn't mess with ESO much when they acquired it. I'm not sure about Fallout but I don't think it has any game pass discounts but it did have a free trial period. I don't see WoW changing the model much other then a reduction in price either for subscription or for box price if it even does that. Diablo and Overwatch will likely see better integration.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Rad1um View Post
    Lets be honest, WoW xpacs lately haven't really been a huge success.

When the product of a company loses its quality, why should it cost the same?
    With this content pace. About 50% less. Maybe $5/5€.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerph- View Post
    The sub also helps keep out some issues that popular f2p or b2p games have. There would be more toxicity, more botting and cheating, things like that. It's a barrier.
    I've already addressed this assertion once in this thread, but I'll do so again. There is no evidence to support this idea whatsoever.

There are many f2p games with lovely communities and none to very little botting. WoW, meanwhile, has massive problems with both.

Behavior and botting comes down to game design and the willingness of the company to police the game, as is very evident from FFXIV, which has a sub and much less problems with these issues than WoW.

For your assertion to be correct we would have to stipulate the idea that having the werewithal to fritter away $15 per month generally leads people to be less well-behaved and more likely to cheat ... a preposterous assertion.
    Last edited by VMSmith; 2022-03-19 at 09:59 PM.