Wait...did Elon Musk buy Xzibit or DMX or something? Is that fuckin legal?

What the fuck is the X?

Also, that honestly seems like the least interesting, most annoying trio imaginable right now.

Let's be honest: most people hate Musk because he is incredibly rich and successful. He is a massive douche, but that's not why most of his haters dislike him.

Quote Originally Posted by InsightTimer37 View Post
    Let's be honest: most people hate Musk because he is incredibly rich and successful. He is a massive douche, but that's not why most of his haters dislike him.
    Sure...we hate the rich folks.../s
    The word "insight" in your name seems off.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    What the fuck is the X?
    its nice hes naming it after one of the kids he never spends time with.

Wait so you openly admit he is a douchebag but that can't possibly why people dislike him because reasons. You know there are rich people who are liked right? because drumroll they aren't gigantic assholes.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate the system that allows exploitative abusers to become megawealthy, yes. That position applies to all billionaires equally, though.

Elon Musk gets singled out from his peers because he's a massive douche.

There's a big difference between hating an exploitative socioeconomic system that provides no benefits to the masses, and hating an individual because they're rich and powerful; the latter presumes there's any billionaires I would like. There aren't.

If you're trying to imply that it's jealousy or envy, allow me to guffaw resoundingly at the idea. Nobody should aspire to being a billionaire. It demonstrates a lack of moral and ethical fiber to desire that.

Then why do we never see someone like Bill Gates getting this level of hate directed at him by the anti-Musk crowd? The only people I see hating on Gates are fascists who are coincidentally also the people who love Musk.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    Then why do we never see someone like Bill Gates getting this level of hate directed at him by the anti-Musk crowd? The only people I see hating on Gates are fascists who are coincidentally also the people who love Musk.
    Hey, Bill Gates is an exploitative asshole. Giving away most of his fortune to charities he picks doesn't change that; he never should have been able to scrape that kind of wealth together in the first place, and the act of doing so over his career absolutely came at the expense of at least hundreds of thousands and more likely millions of people.

It's like coming into a school and forcing every kid to give you half their lunch, and then giving 90% of what you get to a local food bank. You're still gorging on that 10% you kept, and those kids are still going hungry because of your actions.

Gates doesn't get the same hate as Musk because Gates isn't a giant douchenozzle about things. But he's a billionaire, and you only make billionaire money by stepping on other people to get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they made a whole movie about this. Silicon Valley Bros not just being assholes. But that they try very hard to be assholes in public.

You are probably going to be a very successful computer person. But you're going to go through life thinking that girls don't like you because you're a nerd. And I want you to know, from the bottom of my heart, that that won't be true. It'll be because you're an asshole.

The Paypal MAfia is basically the Singularity Event for this phenomena.
    Government Affiliated Snark

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diaphin View Post
    People don't hate Gates as much because he doesn't go around advertising all the awful things he has done. He DID do awful things, anyone familiar with how Microsoft started up and grew as a company can tell you it's built on ruthless exploitation and dirty deals. The trick is, most of Gates awful things happened in like the 80s (not sure the exact timeline, don't quote me) and he's spent at least the last 20 years NOT BRAGGING ABOUT IT.

He's not a better person, he's just a quieter person. All Musk had to do was keep his mouth shut and he'd still be America's Darling. The perfect rags to riches story that shows that anyone with no more than just a little emerald mine to his name could drag themselves off the street and become one of the richest people on Earth.
    Last edited by Lynarii; 2022-10-20 at 07:43 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    Sure...we hate the rich folks.../s
    The word "insight" in your name seems off.
    It's not their fault they are assholes...
    /s
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Quit using other posters as levels of crazy. That is not ok

If you look, you can see the straw man walking a red herring up a slippery slope coming to join this conversation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynarii View Post
    The trick is, most of Gates awful things happened in like the 80s (not sure the exact timeline, don't quote me) and he's spent at least the last 20 years NOT BRAGGING ABOUT IT.
    90s and 00s contained the largest fuckery.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_documents

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Microsoft_Corp.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SCO%E2...Linux_disputes - which Microsoft bankrolled.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Halloween Voter View Post
    Elon Musk is a Popular Mechanic Reader's idea of a smart person.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1582388928870748161

A judge and jury is going to see this at the inevitable price-fixing trial.
    lol ok bro
    I <3 JK Rowling.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/elon-musks...urity-reviews/

So when you're a billionaire with government contracts and are about to overpay for a major publicly traded social media platform you didn't actually want, and you weigh in on international politics and stan for a murderous authoritarian currently waging a losing invasion while engaging in genocide and threaten to potentially interrupt service (or actually interrupt service depending on who you listen to) to the defenders in said invasion who you are providing secure internet services to, that does tend to get the government's attention.

US officials are uncomfortable with Musk's suggestion that he will stop supplying the Starlink satellite service to war-torn Ukraine -- an endeavor that he says has cost him $80 million, the news outlet reported. A series of tweets with an increasingly Russia-friendly position in the ongoing war with Ukraine has also raised concerns, people described as familiar with the matter told Bloomberg. Particularly concerning are his plans to buy Twitter with a group of foreign investors.

While discussions are still at an early stage, one possibility the US government and intelligence community have to reviewing Musk's business ventures is through the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States, a secretive government panel that reviews mergers that could result in a foreign company controlling an American business. A CFUIS review is often enough to quash a deal.

A review of Musk's $44 billion deal for Twitter could be triggered by the involvement of foreign investors, which reportedly includes Prince Alwaleed bin Talal of Saudi Arabia, Binance -- a crypocurrency exchange founded and run by a Chinese Canadian business executive -- and Qatar's sovereign wealth fund.
    kek

10+ Year Old Account
    I told you he would get out of it.

"B-but he p-promised he would buy it".

Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Nobody should aspire to being a billionaire. It demonstrates a lack of moral and ethical fiber to desire that.
    And yet I often wish I had that kind of leverage to bring change.

Quote Originally Posted by hellhamster View Post

Heh.
    Did I miss something?

Because latest I've seen beyond the security review was him talking about laying off 3/4ths of the staff at the company he's going to, by his own admission, overpay for - https://apnews.com/article/elon-musk...4ed61053554d1f

Oh, and him deleting shitty, low-effort memes stanning for absolutley crazy person off his meds going on antisemetic rants Kanye - https://finance.yahoo.com/news/bad-b...122836895.html

Twice, actually - https://gizmodo.com/elon-musk-delete...est-1849670889

Heh.
    He didn't just promise he signed a legally binding contract and if he wants to get out he has to do that in a court of law like a grown up.

I for one like Musk because he's an entertaining weird autist that can live out his dreams, also he's pretty business savvy and very good at conning moronic believers out of their money not because he's doing a bad thing, but because their moronic beliefs blind them.

Wouldn't be surprised if they made him into an entertaining cartoon character or somesuch a few decades from now, tricking the religiously deluded into buying cheaply made cars or dubious rocketry with ultimately futile goals.
    This is a signature of an ailing giant, boundless in pride, wit and strength.
    Yet also as humble as health and humor permit.

Furthermore, I consider that Carthage Slam must be destroyed.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account

Heh.
    No one ever used that argument for why Musk would be stuck paying for Twitter. No one at least in the know. The reasoning is because he was contractually obligated to pay for it. That's not the same, at all, as "he promised to do it so he has to" - in case you decide to go down that contrarian hole.