Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unlimited Power View Post
    Your reasoning for wanting Nerubian Crypt Lords, is my reasoning why they're unlikely to happen.

Dracthyr may have launched as a single class/race combo, but from the very get go Blizzard has hinted that Dracthyr would eventually be able to adapt to new classes through their newfound allies.

A Mantid or similar anthropomorphic insectoid race would be able to adapt to multiple classes, while Nerubians, at least in their original quadroped forms, would be unable to.

Especially given the distinct lack of hands to wield weapons.

While I could see Blizzard launching another timed exclusive race/class combo, I do not see them launching a race entirely incompatible with existing classes.

Especially given they've repeatedly expressed the desire to expand every class to every race (with Evoker being a potential exclusion from this.
    TBF, expanding the Nerubians to other classes is still possible if you use forms like this;

And reserve the true Nerubian form for racial abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    TBF, expanding the Nerubians to other classes is still possible if you use forms like this;

I mean it isn't so much the look that is the issue...wow citizens are now cool with zombies and abominations just roaming around. The issue is...well they all worship the old good in fact I think they are actually made by them.It would be very,very difficult to smooth over that fact unless you make the players ones ignore all lore like lightforged warlocks.

I can see a "swarmlord" as a "druid" type spec. Take the form of a swarm...a swarm that can coalesce into a single large form...

Need to differentiate between insectoid and arachnid.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    I mean it isn't so much the look that is the issue...wow citizens are now cool with zombies and abominations just roaming around. The issue is...well they all worship the old good in fact I think they are actually made by them.It would be very,very difficult to smooth over that fact unless you make the players ones ignore all lore like lightforged warlocks.
    Check out Seer Ixit, the Nerubian Vizier we met in WotLK. He had us hunting down old god minions.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Seer_Ixit

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowferal View Post
    I can see a "swarmlord" as a "druid" type spec. Take the form of a swarm...a swarm that can coalesce into a single large form...

Need to differentiate between insectoid and arachnid.
    I think we might be okay in that regard considering that Anub Arak was a "Spiderlord" in Azjol Nerub, but was actually a giant beetle.

Check out Seer Ixit, the Nerubian Vizier we met in WotLK. He had us hunting down old god minions.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Seer_Ixit

- - - Updated - - -

I think we might be okay in that regard considering that Anub Arak was a "Spiderlord" in Azjol Nerub, but was actually a giant beetle.
    You have it in reverse... he is hunting down old gold minions they fell to undeath and are attacking the living followers. Its a enemy of my enemy thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    You have it in reverse... he is hunting down old gold minions they fell to undeath and are attacking the living followers. Its a enemy of my enemy thing.
    That isn't what he says, he says they're minions of the Old Gods;

You have done well, <class>.

With the servants of the Old Gods defeated, the time is upon my people to retake our ancient home.
    In other words, he's fighting against the Old Gods as well.

Also Herald Volazj isn't undead;

Amid the Scourge's invasion of Azjol-Nerub, many of the kingdom's denizens tunneled underground to escape the Lich King's minions. Yet some of them dug too deep, exposing the tendrils of Yogg-Saron. Roused by this disturbance, the entity has sent one of its most ancient warriors - Herald Volazj - to cull the beleaguered nerubians and annihilate anyone foolish enough to threaten the Old God.
    https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Herald_Volazj

Well if we're considering this as a possible class inclusion, we need to look at how Blizzard could make this worth their while. Making a horrifying, grotesque bug race simply isn't going to be popular enough to warrant inclusion. The class would need to appeal to a wide swath of people. In order to do that, you have to offer the option of pretty spider people.
    Brother, free yourself from these shackles, there are no executives for you to pitch here. Only die hard fans with strong opinions.

Avatar form? Sorry, I don't follow.
    Avatar is shorter to write than "humanoid mortal form". Like, I would imagine Mountain giants use avatars, Fae dragons or Elementals. But what made you think about the nerubs ? They never shapeshifted, most of them are undead.

I mean, it's cool to have an insectoid race but still.

I believe in this case you can do full transmog, since the nerubian form isn't like the Dracthyr form. You can even shift this over to a Druid-like situation where the Crypt Lord form is utilized for combat, and the humanoid "disguise" is the caster form just like the Night Elf, Worgen, Troll, etc. is the caster form. The benefit of going the druid route is that people who just want to be a crypt lord can just stay in their crypt lord form the entire time, just like Druids stay in Bear or Cat form constantly if they want to.

Again, you can play a monster race, but you should give people the opportunity to play as a pretty race as well. The goal is to pull in as many people as possible. We also have to content with people who have arachnaphobia, which is why the Crypt Lord form is better served as the more beetle-like variety of Nerubian.

For the sake of not disturbing the arachnophobics, I understand the need for a more humanoid form. Still. If a nerub form can wear transmog, resorting to a mortal race avatar is unnecessary to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DatToffer View Post
    Brother, free yourself from these shackles, there are no executives for you to pitch here. Only die hard fans with strong opinions.
    LoL! Duly noted.

Avatar is shorter to write than "humanoid mortal form". Like, I would imagine Mountain giants use avatars, Fae dragons or Elementals. But what made you think about the nerubs ? They never shapeshifted, most of them are undead.

I mean, it's cool to have an insectoid race but still.
    Well we do have examples of Nerubians who have humanoid qualities like the Viziers;

We also have half elven spiders such as the Fan'dorei.

Combine that with the Dracthyr making WoW's massive quadrupedal dragons a playable reality, I thought why can't we do the same thing for Nerubians? Especially considering that they fulfill the tenants of class inclusion: Hero character (Anub Arak), playable hero to test mechanicas (Crypt Lord and Anub Arak, WC3 and HotS), and a possible expansion location (Azjol Nerub).

For the sake of not disturbing the arachnophobics, I understand the need for a more humanoid form. Still. If a nerub form can wear transmog, resorting to a mortal race avatar is unnecessary to me.
    I can understand. The problem is that I'm actually an Arachnophobe, so I would prefer the pretty spider people and the big beetles that the Crypt Lords turn into. I've never been a fan of giant spiders.

I could totally see this work for a Forsaken Druid form.

Crypt Lord for Guardian
    Crypt Fiend for Feral
    Nerubian Spellcaster for Balance

I can understand. The problem is that I'm actually an Arachnophobe, so I would prefer the pretty spider people and the big beetles that the Crypt Lords turn into. I've never been a fan of giant spiders.
    Understandable, have a great day.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Triceron View Post

Crypt Lord for Guardian
    Crypt Fiend for Feral
    Can't really imagine Crypt Lords and Crypt Fiends dropping Moonfires, Regrowths, and using Barkskin. They have their own set of unique abilities.

EDIT: Blizzard should take some ideas from here;

https://www.leagueoflegends.com/en-au/champions/elise/
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-05-23 at 05:26 PM.

That isn't the theme around the Dracthyr. The theme around the Dracthyr is an artificial dragon race created by Neltharion. Visage form is a feature that all dragons in WoW have. They aren't themed around that ability, it's merely a feature of their race that the Dracthyr share.
    But it's still a theme that would be almost 1:1 copied from the dracthyr to this nerubian race idea of yours: "taking an humanoid form to blend with the other races".

A playable Nerubian race using magic to blend in with the surface world doesn't affect the Dracthyr at all.
    Except I'm not talking about changing the dracthyr, I'm talking about copying an unique feature from a race and give it to another. Your nerubian idea is basically just a reskin of the dracthyr concept: a 'monstrous' race that utilizes magic to make themselves look humanoid to blend in.

The theme of playable Nerubians would be spider people, not dragons.
    That's irrelevant, though. For context, look at my druid example.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    But it's still a theme that would be almost 1:1 copied from the dracthyr to this nerubian race idea of yours: "taking an humanoid form to blend with the other races".

Except I'm not talking about changing the dracthyr, I'm talking about copying an unique feature from a race and give it to another. Your nerubian idea is basically just a reskin of the dracthyr concept: a 'monstrous' race that utilizes magic to make themselves look humanoid to blend in.
    Uh Worgen do it too. Blizzard even gave Worgens the Dracthyr’s toggle that allows them to automatically switch back to human form after combat. Are Dracthyr a "reskin" of Worgen? Are Worgen stepping on Dracthyr toes?
    Last edited by Teriz; 2023-05-23 at 06:22 PM.

Uh Worgen do it too.
    Uuuh, no. It's not the same thing as the worgen. The worgen are humans who were cursed to transform into humanoid wolves. They're not humanoid wolves that magically transform into humans to blend in. They are humans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ielenia View Post
    Uuuh, no. It's not the same thing as the worgen. The worgen are humans who were cursed to transform into humanoid wolves. They're not humanoid wolves that magically transform into humans to blend in. They are humans.
    So you’re arguing that Greymayne isn’t using his human form to blend in?

I think race/class locks allow more interesting class possibilities, like this one. While I definitely understand why some dislike it, it definitely has some benefits.

Also Blizzard could make the Nerubian visage forms like the Drow, who are highly connected with Spiders in D&D.

Lol! That would never fly as a WoW race. I definitely see your reasoning, but players want to be “pretty” and Nerubians are pretty grotesque creatures.
    Not all players want to be pretty. We should get a grotesque monstrous race as weeb repellant

Can't really imagine Crypt Lords and Crypt Fiends dropping Moonfires, Regrowths, and using Barkskin. They have their own set of unique abilities.
    Guardians don't really use those spells, and whatever they do use can always be graphically swapped as a part of the customizations package.

I can see Forsaken having default undead Bear Cat forms, and the Crypt Lord/Nerubian stuff would be a special unlock or questline that comes complete with new abilities

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post
    Not all players want to be pretty. We should get a grotesque monstrous race as weeb repellant
    I would imagine that Blizzard would allow you to look grotesque if you choose to.

- - - Updated - - -

Guardians don't really use those spells, and whatever they do use can always be graphically swapped as a part of the customizations package.

I can see Forsaken having default undead Bear Cat forms, and the Crypt Lord/Nerubian stuff would be a special unlock or questline that comes complete with new abilities
    Except the Druid Bear/Cat abilities are nothing like the Crypt Lord’s abilities from HotS or WC3. Like not even remotely similar. Additionally the balance spells would contrast unfavorably with Nerubian magic which has been shown to be swarmer/poison based.

Also if Blizzard is going to go through all the trouble to make new animations and graphics for new models and spells, why wouldn’t they just make the new class instead? Blizzard gains nothing from what you’re suggesting except a higher workload.

Except the Druid Bear/Cat abilities are nothing like the Crypt Lord’s abilities from HotS or WC3. .
    They don't have to be.

Herald of the Titans Nightshade711's Avatar
    1+ Year Old Account

Crypt Lord for Guardian
    Crypt Fiend for Feral
    You know that could be pretty cool imo, I didn’t think about giving Forsaken Druids Nerubian forms.
    Chen isn't a Monk