10+ Year Old Account
    have you tried them at lower volts? what temps are you getting?

(currently running mine at 4.8 on 1.37 volt (dropped from a higher clock as i had no need for the extra speed)

i only prime95d it for 6 hours, but meh, i need my computer, i can't live without it for a full 24 hour prime 95

edit: check http://www.overclock.net/intel-gener...uide-p67a.html for help with turbo and volts and all sorts of other complicated crap (stuff like the bios/mobo auto volting itself to a certain point etc)

o hai thar

CPU: q6600 G0 2.4ghz ocd to 3.0ghz (waiting to fit new motherboard)
    Ram: 2gb generic ram 800mhz
    Mobo: MSI G31 (basic board waiting to fit in a biostar tpower i45)
    GPU: Powercolour Super overclocked 5870 (factory overclocked)
    HDD: 1 500gb 2 160gb
    Cpu cooler: Titan fenrir updated version
    PSU: Coolmaster 1000w silent pro
    Monitor: Samsung 32lnc530 lcd 1080p tv 15 inch Xerox trt screen.
    Speakers: Basic labtect speakers waiting for a new amp to come in.
    Headphones: Medusa 5.1 surround sound speakers

As some of you may know, I'm going to switch a few things out in my system. Now I made up my mind and this is what's it going to be:
    Code:
    Sapphire HD6950  ->     Asus DCII 580
    CM HAF X         ->     FD Define XL, with extra 140mm and 120mm FD fans
    VenomousX        ->     NH-D14
    Corsair AX1200   ->     Seasonic X-760
    Now I wonder, is 755W enough for the 580 when I decide to go SLI. I know it's more than enough for one card, but what about SLI.
    I found a few benchmarks saying they pull ~700-730W in SLI, but I think this is with stockspeeds. Considering I have my CPU at 4.5GHz with 1.3V and might try an overclock on the 580, will the X-760 power two cards or would I need to bump it up to the X-850?
    If both aren't enough I'll just forget the whole "going SLI in the future" thing and get a 7970/670/680 when I think it's time for an upgrade.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmekiel View Post
    As some of you may know, I'm going to switch a few things out in my system. Now I made up my mind and this is what's it going to be:
    Code:
    Now I wonder, is 755W enough for the 580 when I decide to go SLI. I know it's more than enough for one card, but what about SLI.
    I found a few benchmarks saying they pull ~700-730W in SLI, but I think this is with stockspeeds. Considering I have my CPU at 4.5GHz with 1.3V and might try an overclock on the 580, will the X-760 power two cards or would I need to bump it up to the X-850?
    If both aren't enough I'll just forget the whole "going SLI in the future" thing and get a 7970/670/680 when I think it's time for an upgrade.
    Dual 580 in SLI can pull around 550-600W (MAX load). 750W might be enough if it is a strong PSU (which that is), but it might also cut short. I'd suggest checking this out: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4012/n...the-sli-update
    I know for a fact that the PSU I have (Antec HCG 750W) has enough juice to run dual 580s.

Looking at this:
    It looks like the Asus 580 in SLI the total sytem consumption will be ~750W.... That's a bit too close to max imo. Maybe I should just let the idea go, by the time the 580 will only be able to play games at medium or lower is far away and by that time it's probably better to upgrade instead of SLI.
    On the other hand, having a slightly larger PSU can always be nice in the future...... @#$%!@$^^....

Deleted
    Looking at this: <SNIP>
    It looks like the Asus 580 in SLI the total sytem consumption will be ~750W.... That's a bit too close to max imo. Maybe I should just let the idea go, by the time the 580 will only be able to play games at medium or lower is far away and by that time it's probably better to upgrade instead of SLI.
    On the other hand, having a slightly larger PSU can always be nice in the future...... @#$%!@$^^....
    The important thing is not the total wattage as much as the power the 12V rails can deliver. If they can feed the cards with current, you are all dandy. And the "750W" marking or label on a PSU should always be taken with a grain of salt. Some 750W PSUs push 400W on the 12V rails, and some push 600W+. It all boils down to quality.
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2011-08-27 at 05:04 PM.

I'm not sure why you'd replace the AX 1200 though...

I just cannot wait anymore!! long shipping is long. Ill post pic sooon, promise

oh and hai drunkenvalley
    Last edited by charleybwoy; 2011-08-27 at 04:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    I'm not sure why you'd replace the AX 1200 though...
    It's loud, and I mean really loud. If my PC is idle and I stop all the fans, except the PSU fan, it's still just as loud..
    Maybe I just have a faulty fan, but I'm just going to take this one. Including the fact the AX1200 has 100A on one rail and my PC is not running from a grounded socket.

63A on the 12V rail, 580 pulls max 21A. According to that it should be safe. and with the rest of the specs.. Looks safe.

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    looks like i have finaly gotten it stable at 4,5Ghz at 1,385.

after reading your link synthaxx, i could see that it is best to set all voltage settings to auto, exept Vcore and it works.

so now im only a second gigabyte winforce x3 card away from being done and ofcause the card is still out of stock. new date is 6/9-2011

---------- Post added 2011-08-27 at 05:39 PM ----------

Code:
    stay away from the Asus dcuII. get a MSI or Gigabyte insted. the dcuII cards has worse cooling and takes up 3 slots
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

10+ Year Old Account
    Code:
    ...when I decide to go SLI...
    580 DCII in SLI have been reported as a heat hazard due to them being triple slot. No air intake for the second card.

Danjal was nice enough to PM me an answer on how he made it work, though. (as the thread where the subject came up got closed)
    Quote Originally Posted by Danjal
    Hey since the thread was locked basicly i'll tell you how I got around this.

What you do, is you use small bit of straphom in the packaging and place it between the two cards, and in the middle between where the two top fans are, that way it can make a gap. The actual cooling system is actualy on a spring and does allow for a little bit of leway, about a gap of 1.5cm was made, then with a side fan to allow airflow into the top card. Hey presto, no heating issues at all.
    Still a ghetto solution IMO. Isn't the MSI Twin Frozr for 580 just dual slot?

Herald of the Titans pansertjald's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wries View Post
    Isn't the MSI Twin Frozr for 580 just dual slot?
    yup the MSI Twin Frozr and lightning card are two slots cards and so are the Gigabyte winforce x3 cards
    AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D: Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 C30 : PowerColor Radeon RX 7900 GRE Hellhound OC: CORSAIR HX850i: Samsung 960 EVO 250GB NVMe: fiio e10k: lian-li pc-o11 dynamic XL:

Except that all GTX580's with TF3 coolers are sold out. And the DCII is much more quiet than the TF2 cooler, not talking about 100% fan speed, just under normal load.
    I'll stick with the 580 and just don't SLI.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Code:
    Traitor Fractal poser!
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Traitor Fractal poser!
    butbutbut, the HAF X makes so much noise at night

10+ Year Old Account
    butbutbut, the HAF X makes so much noise at night
    So either you're one of those people who can't sleep through the quietest of noises OR you did something hrorible to your HAF X, perhaps run all the fans at 100% constantly, thus making it loud. Mine barely makes a peep.
    "A flower.

It's folding, eh :P

I have a hard time falling asleep with sound around me, but once I'm asleep I don't wake up until I feel the need to do so.
    Last edited by Asmekiel; 2011-08-27 at 07:17 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's folding, eh :P

I have a hard time falling asleep with sound around me, but once I'm asleep I don't wake up until I feel the need to do so.
    What CPU cooler do you have? My Zalman 9900 is so damn quiet.
    "A flower.

VenomousX, not so quiet, but it cools damn good.