Thread: NCAA football

Page 49 of 141 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Wooow- Marquess Wilson left WSU after being suspended for the rest of the season. What he said was kinda eyebrow raising considering the new coaching staff.

http://www.visaliatimesdelta.com/art...text|Frontpage

Alabama should have lost to LSU last week too. I'm glad Texas AM could finish the job unlike LSU.

10+ Year Old Account
    all of the teams being discussed here have beaten very good opponents, LSU lost to a top 10 team, then beat undefeated SC then beat A&M and then lost to the #1

they've got a fairly good schedule and they split their toughest games, since they started in the top 3 they've managed to hang around

what drives me nuts is when teams that do absolutely nothing hang around in the top25, thankfully Boise St lost again so I didn't have to be infuriated at their ranking any more, but for most of the season they had only played one ranked team and lost, which was good enough for a top 25 ranking, the mind boggles

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Anyone calling Alabama overrated hasn't been watching this season.
    Haven't watched them do what, beat exactly ONE good team? LSU is their best win, and it is a good win, but LSU has a laughable offense. Bama has played 4 teams that were ranked at the time. Michigan is a train wreck. MSU came into the game having played no one and has now lost two in a row when they faced real compeition. LSU like I said has no offense but has a damn good defense and Bama barely beat them. Alabama is a good team, but they have played no one. They played a team with a functioning offense for the first time today in TWO seasons and gave up 20 points in the blink of an eye before they managed to settle in, eat clock, and hold them to only 9 points the rest of the way.

Alabama isn't a bad team at all. Their offense is only decent, not great (they have played literally one good defense prior to today and scored 21 points against them). Their defense is great, but again hasn't played a team with a real offense in literally years.

It looks like Oregon vs. Kansas State if both remain undefeated.

I would be very happy with that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by muto View Post
    It looks like Oregon vs. Kansas State if both remain undefeated.

I would be very happy with that.
    I am still not willing to believe ND can go undefeated and not get in. I would be shocked if it happened. The BCS only cares about money. Why wouldn't they put in the biggest school in the NCAA if they had the chance?

Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    I am still not willing to believe ND can go undefeated and not get in. I would be shocked if it happened. The BCS only cares about money. Why wouldn't they put in the biggest school in the NCAA if they had the chance?
    They let Alabama get a shot at a rematch last year even though Oklahoma State - LSU would have yielded better ratings. Not a lot of people wanted to see a rematch. I know a ton of people that didn't watch the rematch game for the National Championship between Alabama - LSU last year.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even though I'm not a big fan of ND, I agree with your sentiment regarding an undefeated ND - except, they are just awful this year. The #4 ranking is an absolute gift, and completely undeserved. They haven't even scored against BC yet. USC should wipe them off the field. If by some (Jesuit) miracle they reach the NC game, Oregon will embarrass them.

(for some reason I can't see KSt making the NC game, not sure why)

10+ Year Old Account
    I am sooooo happy Alabama lost. Like I said in another thread I feel something needs to change with NCAA football. Im sick and tired of every year seeing the exact same teams in the top 10. The issue is no recruits want to play for a "bad" team so all the best recruits go to top 10 schools. This ensures that the same schools year in and year out are always good, and everybody else sucks.

Just once Id like to see a top ten that doesnt include either Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Oregon, USC, Texas, Ohio State, or Georgia. I think they need to institute some sort of draft or something to give teams like Temple, ULL, Toledo, San Diego State, Maryland, Minnesota, Ball state and others a fair chance at ELITE players so we dont get bored always seeing the same teams in the top 10.

Maybe we could also make the top 10 every year ineligible to recruit until all the other teams are done recruiting or just prohibit them from being ranked the following year.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I am sooooo happy Alabama lost. Like I said in another thread I feel something needs to change with NCAA football. Im sick and tired of every year seeing the exact same teams in the top 10. The issue is no recruits want to play for a "bad" team so all the best recruits go to top 10 schools. This ensures that the same schools year in and year out are always good, and everybody else sucks.

Just once Id like to see a top ten that doesnt include either Alabama, Oklahoma, Florida, LSU, Oregon, USC, Texas, Ohio State, or Georgia. I think they need to institute some sort of draft or something to give teams like Temple, ULL, Toledo, San Diego State, Maryland, Minnesota, Ball state and others a fair chance at ELITE players so we dont get bored always seeing the same teams in the top 10.

Maybe we could also make the top 10 every year ineligible to recruit until all the other teams are done recruiting or just prohibit them from being ranked the following year.
    I'm not sure how to respond to this. Are you saying that some years we should take the good teams out of the running for the NC and put in shitting ones instead? And somehow that would be "fun"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    I'm not sure how to respond to this. Are you saying that some years we should take the good teams out of the running for the NC and put in shitting ones instead? And somehow that would be "fun"?
    Yes, variety is the spice of life. The same thing year in and year out is boring. It will never change either unless something is done since the good players in High School want to win a national championship so they all go to the currently good teams which means the same teams will ALWAYS be good and the bad teams will ALWAYS be bad since they never get good players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, variety is the spice of life. The same thing year in and year out is boring. It will never change either unless something is done since the good players in High School want to win a national championship so they all go to the currently good teams which means the same teams will ALWAYS be good and the bad teams will ALWAYS be bad since they never get good players.
    Good players can't fix bad coaches.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You should take a look at the top teams from the past decade, the ones you are talking about consistently being in the Top 10, and see where they were 20 years ago. I've been an Oregon fan for 30+ years, and back when I was a kid, if we scraped out a winning season it would be enough for a ticker tape parade. Remember Miami? Where are they now? I think what you are asking for happens, but just not at the speed you want.

If there are 3 teams that remain undefeated at the end of the season and 2 of those teams won an extra conference championship game, they should go to the championship game. ND schedule is just not as hard as Oregon or Kansas State which play in major conferences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Good players can't fix bad coaches.
    I used to think coaches didnt make that big of a deal. If a team is really good almost any coach can win but in some cases like with Bill Obrien this year at Penn State, coaches can make a big difference. Penn State was supposed to be lucky to win 2 games this year and he took that team full of walkons and third stringers and won 6 games so far this year

There are ways the NCAA uses to try to spread talent. Schools only have so many scholarships so these players have to decide if they want help paying for school or to have a better chance at being in a championship game. Of course this might not matter much if they expect to play professionally and be able to pay back student loans in the first month in the NFL.

There are ways for schools to build teams too. It will cost money but if being known for football is important the school will do it. Get a famous college or NFL coach and you will find good players for your team. Build a state of the art fitness center for athletics and the kids will see investment in them to become better and for the team to succeed.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    If there are 3 teams that remain undefeated at the end of the season and 2 of those teams won an extra conference championship game, they should go to the championship game. ND schedule is just not as hard as Oregon or Kansas State which play in major conferences.
    As proof, ND is up by 4 at the half. Against a 2-5 ACC team. I mean, seriously?

Edit: I guess last minute TD is last minute TD. Up by 11. Woot! /sarcasm off
    Last edited by cubby; 2012-11-11 at 02:33 AM.

just hope they stop with the mccaron for heisman bullshit

the kid is the worst player on the team and the reason they had issues the past 2 weeks. 9 3 and outs in 2 weeks which led to over 150 plays for the other team. 5 turnovers (3 by mccarron) didn't help either

but good god he's obviously not heisman material in any sense of the word. and now that saban all of a sudden doesn't want to run the ball i wonder if he'll take some blame too. he panicked and looked like he was back in miami coaching the dolphins.

---------- Post added 2012-11-10 at 08:34 PM ----------

this post is pathetic. if you want someone to reward you for failure, log into wow

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    just hope they stop with the mccaron for heisman bullshit

the kid is the worst player on the team and the reason they had issues the past 2 weeks. 9 3 and outs in 2 weeks which led to over 150 plays for the other team. 5 turnovers (3 by mccarron) didn't help either

but good god he's obviously not heisman material in any sense of the word. and now that saban all of a sudden doesn't want to run the ball i wonder if he'll take some blame too. he panicked and looked like he was back in miami coaching the dolphins.[COLOR="red"]
    The only reason people don't like McCarron is because he's not a "dual-threat", "I can run faster than my wide receivers" quarterback. And he's one of the few left on big teams that are successful at doing so. Just because he doesn't run for 1000 yards doesn't make him a bad player. There's a reason he went almost 300 throws without a pick. He's smarter on the field than most of the quarterbacks around. Oh, and he's not too bad outside the pocket. I agree he shouldn't be a consideration for Heisman (and I've said so multiple times her), but calling him bad is a terribly misguided comment.

15+ Year Old Account

Those smaller schools just need to do what the bigger schools have done or are doing. Slip the kids cash in one form or another. OSU did it. Alabama does it (as proof I present Trent Richardson, a poor kid from Florida who owned a brand new car with enormous rims, always had top quality suits on, and his mother magically moved to Alabama from Florida despite being poor and unemployed where the family lived in a house owned by a booster's company. Why the NCAA didn't address this is baffling). Get the good kids in with cash and slowly work yourselves into a prestigious program lol. Aside from that, no it is impossible to have every single NCAA FBS school have equal or even remotely equal talent. It just can't possibly happen. Plus kids can pick where they want to go to "school" and forcing them to go elsewhere would be dumb.