Thread: NCAA football

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by conscript View Post
    He will play for Heisman stats and nothing else.
    Yep, why not, they let him pad his stats in the 4th quarter of blowouts last year and the idiot voters ate it up, no reason to stop now.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draynay View Post
    Yep, why not, they let him pad his stats in the 4th quarter of blowouts last year and the idiot voters ate it up, no reason to stop now.
    I have my own favorite for this year's Heisman, but please, anyone but Manziel this year to avoid a repeat.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's a nice start to the season. 3 and out and scoring on the punt return. Virginia Tech's in for a long night.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Well, that's a nice start to the season. 3 and out and scoring on the punt return. Virginia Tech's in for a long night.
    Yeah, VT is not going to have a lot of fun.

Manziel is such an idiot. I had forgotten that Mariota and Manziel were both headed to Oregon. As an Oregon fan, I'm very glad we got Mariota.

10+ Year Old Account
    Never mind, Alabama has three first time starters on the offensive line, and they forgot how to run game.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Yeah, VT is not going to have a lot of fun.

Manziel is such an idiot. I had forgotten that Mariota and Manziel were both headed to Oregon. As an Oregon fan, I'm very glad we got Mariota.
    ... but Mariota sucks as a passer. He works in Oregon's version of "read option" (see: the read is keep or handoff only) because he doesn't need to throw as much.

10+ Year Old Account
    Who is that old fuck on ESPN that keeps talking like he's got a mouth full of cotton and a lisp? Is he a 100 years old? Get him the fuck off the air.

(is it Lou Holtz? - I can't remember his name, but god he sucks - does he pay ESPN to be on the air?)

- - - Updated - - -

I remember they hit 50 points in the first half a couple of times early in the season.
    https://twitter.com/PretendLouHoltz

There you go.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drikkink View Post
    ... but Mariota sucks as a passer. He works in Oregon's version of "read option" (see: the read is keep or handoff only) because he doesn't need to throw as much.
    You really need to look up passing efficiency, passing TDs (more than Manziel) and Int's in 2012. Mariota was top in all three categories.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vetali View Post
    Oh, thank you. I thought maybe I was sitting alone at the dance here.

You really need to look up passing efficiency, passing TDs (more than Manziel) and Int's in 2012. Mariota was top in all three categories.
    You also need to remember Manziel had to play Bama and LSU's defenses. Manziel had THREE INTs against LSU. Oregon plays in one of the more defensively lax conferences and the outright speed of the WRs for Oregon combined with the fact that their run game demolishes teams opened up game for Mariota.

And Manziel is definitely the better overall QB (passing and running). He had the same-ish (7.1 for Mariota, 7.0 for Manziel) YPC and MANY MANY MANY more TDs.

His off field issues may make him more trouble than he'd be worth though. But then again, how much non-drug related trouble can you get into in Oregon?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    You also need to remember Manziel had to play Bama and LSU's defenses. Manziel had THREE INTs against LSU. Oregon plays in one of the more defensively lax conferences and the outright speed of the WRs for Oregon combined with the fact that their run game demolishes teams opened up game for Mariota.

And Manziel is definitely the better overall QB (passing and running). He had the same-ish (7.1 for Mariota, 7.0 for Manziel) YPC and MANY MANY MANY more TDs.

His off field issues may make him more trouble than he'd be worth though. But then again, how much non-drug related trouble can you get into in Oregon?
    So being able to aptly compare him to Manziel and having to make excuses for his fewest Ints makes him a horrible passer? And winning the BCS game was bad? And having better YPC than the Heisman winner makes him horrible too? I don't understand.

It's fine if you think Manziel is a better QB, his stats certainly demonstrate it. But that's not what you claimed. To say Mariota is a horrible passer is just silly.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-09-01 at 12:28 AM.

So being able to compare him to Manziel and having to make excuses for his fewest Ints makes him a horrible passer? And winning the BCS game was bad? And having better YPC than the Heisman winner makes him horrible too? I don't understand.

It's fine if you think Manziel is a better QB, his stats certainly demonstrate it. But that's not what you claimed. To say Mariota is a horrible passer is just silly.
    I'd like to see Mariota attempt to pass in a system where the defense doesn't have to cover every offensive player doing every possible play.

Here's my point: Who do you think will have the more successful NFL career? Mariota (who isn't playing in a system that remotely simulates what an NFL offense will do) or Manziel (who, admittedly does rely on his legs, but has the more impressive looking arm at least strength-wise)

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Here's my point: Who do you think will have the more successful NFL career? Mariota (who isn't playing in a system that remotely simulates what an NFL offense will do) or Manziel (who, admittedly does rely on his legs, but has the more impressive looking arm at least strength-wise)
    No, this was NOT your point. Your point was above, quoted, and you were wrong. Period. It's no big deal, but even you have to admit you were incorrect in claiming that Mariota "sucks as a passer".

I cannot comment on NFL success, because admittedly I don't know much about what it really takes to succeed. Luckily, that's not what this topic is about.
    Last edited by cubby; 2013-09-01 at 12:40 AM.

No, this was NOT your point. Your point was above, quoted, and you were wrong. Period. It's no big deal, but even you have to admit you were incorrect in claiming that Mariota "sucks as a passer".

I cannot comment on NFL success, because admittedly I don't know much about what it really takes to succeed. Luckily, that's not what this topic is about.
    My assessment of seeing him play out there is that he isn't a strong short passer. He can hit a screen pass, but he can't lead receivers on short routes. He has an above-average mid-long range arm, I'll give him that. That's what his offense needs in a QB.

Manziel has a stronger arm overall, but his accuracy was lesser on the long throws. He is a very, very good short passer though.

10+ Year Old Account
    WSU holding their own against Auburn despite a lot of mess ups.

That being said Auburn isn't great, but not terrible either. WSU could be dominating them if it wasn't for a lot of mistakes.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    My assessment of seeing him play out there is that he isn't a strong short passer. He can hit a screen pass, but he can't lead receivers on short routes. He has an above-average mid-long range arm, I'll give him that. That's what his offense needs in a QB.

Manziel has a stronger arm overall, but his accuracy was lesser on the long throws. He is a very, very good short passer though.
    Look, just stop, ok. You are a reasonable guy who puts up good posts, so this is unlike you (see our agreement on the Delhi teenager rapist).

Mariota was a heisman candidate his freshman year. He was never going to win with a Johnny Football out there - that guy is something else, no doubt. But Mariota is a terrific passer, in every capacity.

Sure, you have a point that you feel needs defending, and it's tough for people to admit they are wrong, but you said Mariota "sucks as a passer" and he doesn't, period, by any objective standard out there.

OrST doesn't seem to be doing themselves many favors with this game. I could see them dropping out, even with a win.

- - - Updated - - -

Look, just stop, ok. You are a reasonable guy who puts up good posts, so this is unlike you (see our agreement on the Delhi teenager rapist).

Mariota was a heisman candidate his freshman year. He was never going to win with a Johnny Football out there - that guy is something else, no doubt. But Mariota is a terrific passer, in every capacity.

Sure, you have a point that you feel needs defending, and it's tough for people to admit they are wrong, but you said Mariota "sucks as a passer" and he doesn't, period, by any objective standard out there.
    What I see of him, I don't see him being a great passer. I may be wrong and my cursory glances at Oregon games just don't do him justice, but Oregon's offense has never really showcased a QB's arm.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    OrST doesn't seem to be doing themselves many favors with this game. I could see them dropping out, even with a win.
    Yeah, that is embarrassing against E.WA. And, at least at this posting, OrSt is losing.

What I see of him, I don't see him being a great passer. I may be wrong and my cursory glances at Oregon games just don't do him justice, but Oregon's offense has never really showcased a QB's arm.
    I agree that Oregon's offense definitely doesn't showcase a QB's arm. It's too dynamic and fluid for any one aspect to shine through.

(btw, I'm a huge Oregon fan - but not a bandwagon one - I've been a fan since the 1980's, when we'd throw a ticket tape parade if they put up a winning season)

10+ Year Old Account
    Mettenberger looking good in the LSU game. WR's aren't getting good separation but he is throwing lasers out there right on target.

ROFLMAO

ESPN's site is failing miserably. Says Nich St. has a 49-46 lead on Oregon.

10+ Year Old Account
    You're misreading that mate. That is Eastern Washington that Beat out Oregon State. FCS School beating out #25 in the rankings. Sweet, sweet justice. I was pulling for EWu, they aren't that far off from where I lived.
    VanCleef wants you! Join the Defias Brotherhood and hang out on a yacht all day!