Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Btw, is Vanguard the go-to now for the early survivability? Now that the regen of Tranquils is nonexistent for carries.
    What kind of survivability you are talking about? Saving your ass from 3-man gank? Nope. It will give you some hp boost and sustainability. Being soloed is your fault and you don't need survival items to avoid that. I generally build vanguard if I want to enter team fights early with some carries. Otherwise, I mostly pass it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    What kind of survivability you are talking about? Saving your ass from 3-man gank? Nope. It will give you some hp boost and sustainability. Being soloed is your fault and you don't need survival items to avoid that. I generally build vanguard if I want to enter team fights early with some carries. Otherwise, I mostly pass it.
    No, just basic regen to stay in the lane versus the all too common duolanes that are surfacing now. With the active and harassing duolane being quite common now I'm finding that playing squishier carries being quite the nightmare to start with. Additionally, straight up having more hp is often quite wanted as well, since you want to be able to survive some bursts of damage at least.

For a while Tranquility Boots + Vitality Booster + PMS was flat out just too good to pass up; you could disassemble the first, build the second into Heart of Tarrasque Later and the third can just be sold, it's really quite cheap. But Icefrog made Tranquility Boots much worse for carries as far as stats go, and can no longer be disabled. Then he buffed Vanguard slightly.

In all Vanguard appears to make sense, since it offers the damage block of a PMS and then some, the health regen needed to be able to stay in lane against some amount of harass as well as the HP to flat out survive a gank or two.

That's why I'm curious if it's making a return, or if there are other items instead being built now.

At the point you get your vanguard before boots, lane phase would be about to end. Unless you are afraid of highly synchronized enemy team and you need every bit of survival which does not happen in most games vanguard is not a go-to item. You can build it, it's not useless but far from go-to. Even a casual vitality booster or ring would do the same job if your concern is only for lane phase.

Quote Originally Posted by hiragana View Post
    Gutted theres been no diretide, i wasnt playing last year (like most of the current playerbase id guess) so was really looking forward to it, bleh.
    I been played for almost 2 years now got an early beta key a long with all my friends, diretide was meh but it's not the point there was no halloween event this year and TF2 has one and TF2 and cs:go users combined doesn't even add up to the amount that's always on dota 2

How is Axe post 6.79? I've been meaning to play him.

Deleted
    I like Vanguard a bit now. You do face a lot of dual lanes nowadays. Vanguard Spectre works great, although you farm woods very slowly with it. I'm not sure about how to build Spectre right now but I've been playing her lately and Vanguard/Treads/Yasha/Radiance/Refresher is great fun.

i havent build a vanguard in months on anyone but axe I think. Id build it maybe on spectre, but I still like PMS drums better as a budget build, the new patch didnt really bring anything new in terms of laning to me, I was going against dual lanes for hundreds of games before, didnt see the need for occasional vanguard before, dont see it now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarevokcz View Post
    i havent build a vanguard in months on anyone but axe I think. Id build it maybe on spectre, but I still like PMS drums better as a budget build, the new patch didnt really bring anything new in terms of laning to me, I was going against dual lanes for hundreds of games before, didnt see the need for occasional vanguard before, dont see it now.
    You need lane sustainability sometimes. Tranquils could provide that before.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariadne View Post
    You need lane sustainability sometimes. Tranquils could provide that before.
    On many heroes buying a Helm of Iron Will is a much better option then Ring of Health->Vanguard. Helm of Iron Will can be built into Veil of Discord/Armlet/Helm of the Dominator. Even just keeping the RoH and selling it is an option. Vanguard is still too much investment unless Spectre/plan is to end early.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    On many heroes buying a Helm of Iron Will is a much better option then Ring of Health->Vanguard. Helm of Iron Will can be built into Veil of Discord/Armlet/Helm of the Dominator. Even just keeping the RoH and selling it is an option. Vanguard is still too much investment unless Spectre/plan is to end early.
    I think it works on PA too. She needs HP.

My question has mostly been asked because I don't see what to build the Ring of Health into for some heroes, like PL or Spectre. A Linken's Sphere works, I guess, but is a bit forced. Hood of Defiance might be good depending on the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    My question has mostly been asked because I don't see what to build the Ring of Health into for some heroes, like PL or Spectre. A Linken's Sphere works, I guess, but is a bit forced. Hood of Defiance might be good depending on the lineup.
    that's called casual <insert an item name> like casual vit. booster, casual ring, casual cloak etc. You don't need to complete a meta-item.

give diretide

10+ Year Old Account
    This whole 'give diretide' thing is seriously getting out of hand, to the point that:

-Cyborgmatt, our holy patch eviscerator, is actually getting harassed through phone calls (https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/statu...59600663257088)
    -Volvo car company itself acknowledges it (https://twitter.com/volvocarsglobal/...26888442933248)
    -Literally every DotA 2 related posts from things like professional teams or livestreams are infested with the spam (on Facebook, to my knowledge)
    -Heck, even Barack Obama's certain Facebook posts are infested with it as well.
    edit: almost forgot, http://givediretide.com actually exists.

Personally i'm disappointed Valve is keeping quiet about this and letting some of its fans go all out like that. I'm also disappointed Diretide's not being released so i can get away from the usual game modes on top of free cosmetics.
    Last edited by TrollShaman; 2013-11-04 at 12:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TrollShaman View Post
    This whole 'give diretide' thing is seriously getting out of hand, to the point that:

-Cyborgmatt, our holy patch eviscerator, is actually getting harassed through phone calls (https://twitter.com/Cyborgmatt/statu...59600663257088)
    -Volvo car company itself acknowledges it (https://twitter.com/volvocarsglobal/...26888442933248)
    -Literally every DotA 2 related posts from things like professional teams or livestreams are infested with the spam (on Facebook, to my knowledge)
    -Heck, even Barack Obama's certain Facebook posts are infested with it as well.

Personally i'm disappointed Valve is keeping quiet about this and letting some of its fans go all out like that. I'm also disappointed Diretide's not being released so i can get away from the usual game modes on top of free cosmetics.
    つ ◕_◕ ༽つ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollShaman View Post
    I'm disappointed in the fan base more than anything. It's getting beyond a joke.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    I'm disappointed in the fan base more than anything. It's getting beyond a joke.
    Well tbh Valve could have done a statement and say : Ok guys no Diretide this year. Valve saying nothing just fanned the flame.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Give DIRETIDE

But in all seriousness can we get a new hero please ?!?!

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

This Gif makes me laugh... but eh for some reason I'm not so concerned about Diretide.