Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The way it is written is misleading at best for anyone trying to solve it as a math problem.

Really, all it is is a table of values. x, y, a, b; where a = x-y and b = x+y
    If x and y are known, you can solve a and b.
    If a and b are known, you can solve x and y. Something something solve for x then y (or y then x respectively);
    x = a+y
    b = (a+y)+y
    23= 1+2y
    y=11
    1=x-11
    x=12
    <x=12, y=11, a=1, b=23>

But, being that it was set up as pattern recognition, and not actual mathematics...
    Reject common sense to make the impossible possible! ~Kamina, Gurren Lagann

...You'll kill my dick?! What the hell does that even mean? I'll kill your dick! ~Grayson Hunt, Bulletstorm

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    I don't get the left to right part, both multiplication and addition are associative.
    It matters when you deal with mixing multiplication and division. 4/4x5. If you do 4x5, you get 20, and 4/20 = 0.2. Left to Right, 4/4 = 1, 1x5 = 5
    0.2 ~= 5, ∴ (4/4)x5 ~= 4/(4x5)
    If you convert everything to multiplication and addition, then order doesn't matter, so: 4 x (0.25) x 5 works both ways.

Similarly with addition/subtraction: 4 - 4 + 5. 4+5=9, 4-9=-4. 4-4=0, 0+5=5. 5~=-4 ∴ (4-4)+5 ~= 4-(4+5).
    Converted to addition: 4 + (-4) + 5 works both ways.
    Last edited by Annoying; 2016-05-03 at 10:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    It matters when you deal with mixing multiplication and division. 4/4x5. If you do 4x5, you get 20, and 4/20 = 0.2. Left to Right, 4/4 = 1, 1x5 = 5
    0.2 ~= 5, ∴ (4/4)x5 ~= 4/(4x5)
    If you convert everything to multiplication and addition, then order doesn't matter, so: 4 x (0.25) x 5 works both ways.

Similarly with addition/subtraction: 4 - 4 + 5. 4+5=9, 4-9=-4. 4-4=0, 0+5=5. 5~=-4 ∴ (4-4)+5 ~= 4-(4+5).
    Converted to addition: 4 + (-4) + 5 works both ways.
    Oh, ok. Those are typically things that I don't bother with. If I see 4/4x5 in person, I just tell the person to write it clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    This is as dumb as the pattern describing pattern
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2016-05-03 at 10:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    Duuuuuude you want to start an internet argument, you post this:

6÷2(1+2)=?
    Man this thread is making me feel retarded. I was taught, for 12 straight years, order of operations. Parentheses, exponents, division/multiplication, addition/subtraction. Yet I get 9 (resolve the parentheses, then left to right), the scientific calculator gets 2. (How?!)

Anyone going to help out? I'm not going back to 2nd grade when I'm a 2nd year college student.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-05-03 at 10:27 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    If you take Facebook intelligence tests, you already failed the intelligence test.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garnier Fructis View Post
    Overloading symbols is incredibly common in mathematics, because there are only so many symbols that we can typeset unless we want to start writing textbooks and papers with wingdings. This is particularly true for the symbols '+', '*', and '='.
    Using a ton of different names and notations for exactly the same thing is more annoying though, like with the conjugate transpose.

its facebook...

common sense dictates not to pay attention to it... you are bound to find more intelligent conversations in reddit

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    Man this thread is making me feel retarded. I was taught, for 12 straight years, order of operations. Parentheses, exponents, division/multiplication, addition/subtraction. Yet I get 9 (resolve the parentheses, then left to right), the scientific calculator gets 2. (How?!)

Anyone going to help out? I'm not going back to 2nd grade when I'm a 2nd year college student.
    Your calculator is broke af.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl Dixon View Post
    Sorry I guess your intelligence isn't high enough to comprehend.

Hopefully this will help.

What sort of madness is this?! Clearly they're redefining the operators (without specifying to what) somewhere in this garbled mess. In one crazy world 123=3, and in another equally nonmathematical world we have 12+11=123.

Whoever came up with this needs locked in an asylum, not congratulated on their intelligence.

Your calculator is broke af.
    That's what I get for using the cheap one on my computer.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-05-03 at 10:43 PM.
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.

Quote Originally Posted by The One Percent View Post
    If you take Facebook intelligence tests, you already failed the intelligence test.
    win right here, facebook intelligence test should be like, if you share this with 10 friends in 10 minute you're a genius otherwise you're retarded, that's a facebook intelligence test.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is just a test to determine how well you can understand how the mind of the creator of the question works.
    Needless to say it won't help you solving the quantum physics controversies, finding a way to store energy efficiently and other kinds of useful things for mankind.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post
    This is as dumb as the pattern describing pattern
    13112221!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    This is just a test to determine how well you can understand how the mind of the creator of the question works.
    Needless to say it won't help you solving the quantum physics controversies, finding a way to store energy efficiently and other kinds of useful things for mankind.
    I understand it well enough to know it isn't math. Except, oddly enough, solving for x from 2x. It'd be nice if the creator was at least consistent in their lunacy.

Quote Originally Posted by Starquake View Post
    Using a ton of different names and notations for exactly the same thing is more annoying though, like with the conjugate transpose.
    Or derivatives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

If you type in 6 / 2 * ( 1 + 2 ) you get 9. Check that you're not inputing it in wrong. The only way you can get 2 (whether using correct order of operations or not) that I can think of is that you're forgetting to input the first 2. You might be typing in 6 / ( 1 + 2 ). If that's not the case then your calculator might have a mental handicap and needs to be in special classes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dendrek View Post
    If you type in 6 / 2 * ( 1 + 2 ) you get 9. Check that you're not inputing it in wrong. The only way you can get 2 (whether using correct order of operations or not) that I can think of is that you're forgetting to input the first 2. You might be typing in 6 / ( 1 + 2 ). If that's not the case then your calculator might have a mental handicap and needs to be in special classes.
    Duly noted: Don't use the windows 10 scientific calculator.

Well that's your problem right there. You're using Windows 10. It's an PEBKAC error. Unfortunately there's no way to fix that yet.

<3

10+ Year Old Account
    Hey yeah I just switched the Windows 10 calculator to scientific, after you type 6/2, when you hit open parenthesis it simply does not count that 2.

You found a bug in Windows. You should report it, maybe they will give you a prize!

Hey yeah I just switched the Windows 10 calculator to scientific, after you type 6/2, when you hit open parenthesis it simply does not count that 2.

You found a bug in Windows. You should report it, maybe they will give you a prize!
    Probably a new format for a Facebook Intelligence test