Page 23 of 40 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    It's barely above previous mounts by hte inflation (pretty much the reason you have that 4million gold if you conveniently ignored that) - it'd be 1.5m
    I earned 90% of my gold selling raid runs in MoP, but you totally know my life.

Also It's like a 1600% increase in price from the previous most expensive mount. are you saying that gold has inflated by that much?

even if they weren't trying to drain more than usual.[/QUOTE]It isn't a gold sink, Ion Hazzikostas himself has confirmed that. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5664?page=3#54

Originally Posted by Blizzard (Blue Tracker / Official Forums)

Just to be clear, I agree that the Mad Merchant isn't going to serve as a very effective gold sink. But that's because he isn't intended to be one in any meaningful sense..

They finally put some really unique mount in the game that didn't go into game store and they are pricing it 2 million, i really don't see the point of this, the bmah is already a huge gold sink, i have around 2.3 million gold spread across my alliance and horde characters, i have been doing stupid/boring garrison missions aka facebook games for over a year every day, i would never give 2 million gold for a mount, if they priced it around 100-200k it would be something to look foward... I was really looking foward for this mount and now am just disappointed : <

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    are you honestly blaming people for having good jobs and dont having to worry about tossing 500 $ on a hobby ? maybe grow up and get better job then so you could afford it too.
    No. What I don't like - is when game is being developed with them in mind, so game stop being game, that is meant to be played, and turns into souvenir shop, where only cash matters. For example, what problem MWO has - is that developers don't care about improving balance, matchmaker, map and mode design, cuz the only thing, they care about - is selling new 'Mechs. This is F2P mentality. It's justified in F2P games only. And Wow isn't F2P. We pay money for it. 1 billion $$$ a year. For this money everything in game should be accessible for all players - not for those, who can afford $500, only.

I don't care about Wow 11.0, if it's not solo-MMO. No half-measures - just perfect xpack.

Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post
    288 EUR and token prices will only go up so it will be less
    Token gold price going down in legion without a doubt

10+ Year Old Account
    I would never buy these stupidly expensive items nowadays since gold now has a direct, legitimate real life conversion rate. Instead of spending all my gold on a spider mount, I could be purchasing many, many tokens on the AH which directly saves me real cash. This gives these massive gold sinks some perspective that wasn't there back in the day Would I pay several hundred £s/$s for this mount if it was on the ingame store? Even as an avid mount collector, hell no, I wouldn't pay that much when it's like £15 for the others... so I wouldn't buy this for 2 million gold.

It's a shame, because it's a cool spider mount, and if it was a more reasonable price compared to other gold sinks like 200k I'd buy it for sure.

What's more stupid than the mount though is bags for 500k each. With the new transmog system basically emptying everyone's bags and void storage, is ANYONE going to be so desperate for bagspace they spend 500k for 2-4 extra slots? :P

Quote Originally Posted by Raelbo View Post
    They're not really selling gold though. They provide a mechanism for players to trade gold.
    Sure, you can state it however you want, either way they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts ... they are making money off of it, and it will be a more efficient way to get gold than anything else in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Mush View Post
    Also It's like a 1600% increase in price from the previous most expensive mount. are you saying that gold has inflated by that much?
    Yes, estimated numbers were already at 1300%, but blizzards will be better than ours.

even if they weren't trying to drain more than usual.
    It isn't a gold sink, Ion Hazzikostas himself has confirmed that. http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5664?page=3#54

Just to be clear, I agree that the Mad Merchant isn't going to serve as a very effective gold sink. But that's because he isn't intended to be one in any meaningful sense..
    This is correct, the true gold sink is the new 10m BMAH cap for things like zulian tiger/plagued proto. This is still in my terms a gold sink the same way the old mounts were - as it's intended to counter inflation you get via questing/gold generation methods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Yes, estimated numbers were already at 1300%, but blizzards will be better than ours.
    From what vanilla? The last most expensive mount was in MoP, to justify 2million gold price, gold would have had to inflate by 1600% in 1 xpac.

This is correct, the true gold sink is the new 10m BMAH cap for things like zulian tiger/plagued proto. This is still in my terms a gold sink the same way the old mounts were - as it's intended to counter inflation you get via questing/gold generation methods.
    Gold sinks don't work like you think they do. They are supposed to slowly drain money evenly from everyone, not to take 2-10million gold from people with 40million gold.

The people that are rich in wow will never not be rich, targeting them is never going to work.

From what vanilla? The last most expensive mount was in MoP, to justify 2million gold price, gold would have had to inflate by 1600% in 1 xpac.
    No, from moP.

Gold sinks don't work like you think they do. They are supposed to slowly drain money evenly from everyone, not to take 2-10million gold from people with 40million gold.

The people that are rich in wow will never not be rich, targeting them is never going to work.
    No they're meant ot sink gold from the economy. Different gold sinks target different things - the BMAH is for the ultra rich, items like these / the ring are meant for the 'less' rich.
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

No, from moP.
    Where did you get that?

No they're meant ot sink gold from the economy. Different gold sinks target different things - the BMAH is for the ultra rich, items like these / the ring are meant for the 'less' rich.
    But a 2 mil price tag isn't targeting people with ~2million gold. It's targeting people with 2 million disposable gold.

Where did you get that?
    All over the professon forums

But a 2 mil price tag isn't targeting people with ~2million gold. It's targeting people with 2 million disposable gold.
    Yeah, because people like yourself with 4-10m gold aren't particularly uncommon right now. For a majority of those it's from garrisons and therefore disposable to them. They simply had nothing to spend it on without fighting over BMAH items ( a lot of effort)

Deleted
    This is just an alpha/beta vendor. Prices are not definitive and most likely they are placeholders for another currency. Something like TW badges or Timeless Isle coins or something. You're all probably getting worked up over nothing.

Yeah, because people like yourself with 4-10m gold aren't particularly uncommon right now. For a majority of those it's from garrisons and therefore disposable to them. They simply had nothing to spend it on without fighting over BMAH items ( a lot of effort)
    Depends what you consider "common"

Garrisons are going away in Legion, therefore it's not disposable because they will have no means to make back what they are spending.

Depends what you consider "common"

Garrisons are going away in Legion, therefore it's not disposable because they will have no means to make back what they are spending.
    That doesn't mean it isn't disposable. For the same reason they only made that much in wod they will have no reason to maintain it when tehy are comfortable sitting much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubblez View Post
    This is just an alpha/beta vendor. Prices are not definitive and most likely they are placeholders for another currency. Something like TW badges or Timeless Isle coins or something. You're all probably getting worked up over nothing.
    Ehh you might want to read the thread.

From Ion Hazzikostas
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/to...5664?page=3#54

but the 2mil price tag for the mount is not likely to change.
    - - - Updated - - -

That doesn't mean it isn't disposable. For the same reason they only made that much in wod they will have no reason to maintain it when tehy are comfortable sitting much lower.
    Most people around going to spend 20-50% of their lifetime earnings for one item without knowing what the future holds.

Most people around going to spend 20-50% of their lifetime earnings for one item without knowing what the future holds.
    I contend most people don't think far ahead, and use most of humanity as an example of that. Very few even make savings when possible in real life - why would everyone in a game? Everyone except those who play to make gold (the AH goblins) see gold as a resource to get the things they want.

And to top it off, a high price / unique model make the mount seem more exclusive & desirable by those who can realistically afford it.

They want to make sure many people buy the 1 month token to sell on the auction house. It's a round about way of selling the spider for $200 in the store.

10+ Year Old Account

While it might be true that most people with say about 3 - 5 mio gold, have that made from garrisons...
    But the true rich players source is selling of services. There's a lot more gold made from selling carries of all sorts and aspects.
    "The pen is mightier than the sword.. and considerably easier to write with."

Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    While it might be true that most people with say about 3 - 5 mio gold, have that made from garrisons...
    But the true rich players source is selling of services. There's a lot more gold made from selling carries of all sorts and aspects.
    Raiders are an economy unto themselves. They're going to dump millions into profession items, any available boe's, crafted, etc. at the start of the expansion as per usual. Will it negate the ridiculous amount of boosting that happens these days? not by itself- but it'll be a factor. Some of those may want spiders too (raiders LOVE their exclusive mounts after all from what I've seen)

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, you can state it however you want, either way they aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts ... they are making money off of it
    That is not a sufficient qualifier to make what they're doing "scummy" though. Scummy would be adding a feature to the game which was unlike features of the past which more or less forces players to make use, under duress, of a feature from which Blizzard profits at the player's expense.

Firstly: this game has had big gold sinks since long before the advent of the token:

Vanilla Riding skill and mounts
    Traveller's Tundra Mount
    Grand Expedition Yak
    Mechano Hog
    Vial of the Sands
    Rings of the Kirin Tor
    BMAH
    Several Legendaries
    etc
    etc

This is no different (it's just adjusted for years of inflation).

Secondly: There is nothing forcing any player to fork out hundreds of dolllars to buy gold to buy this mount. All the gold you need can be made in game (which is where all the token gold comes from anyway), and even if you don't have that kind of gold, there is no compelling reason for which you have to have this vanity item.

There is nothing scummy at all about profiting from other peoples vanity...please!

and it will be a more efficient way to get gold than anything else in the game.
    No offence, but that is a ridiculous statement. Spending real money on the mount is one way to get it, but it's a ridiculously inefficient way and I'd bet that the percentage of players obtaining that way is going to be roughly equal to the percentage of the population who in the top 0.1% of the planets wealthiest people (even you can do that bit of maths).

This mount wasn't put in the game to cater to everyone. It's designed to cater for the small, gold-rich minority who can. The same folks who camp the BMAH every night and who ride around on the Swift Spectral Tigers.